HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers can't buy out injured Drury (career ending injury)

Old
06-21-2011, 09:37 AM
nyrleetch

vCash: 500
Wouldn't Drury have to pass a physical to be traded?

How could he do that if this is technically a career ending injury and if he would technically pass a physical and the trade was to fall through could we then buy him out?

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:58 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Drury would need to fly to Fort Lauderdale and fail his physical. That's it. Maybe Drury can fly down there on a weekday so it does ruin his weekend. He is filing for Career Ending Disability. He continues to get all of the benefits of a NHL player for an extra year. Full medical benefits. These guys gets a pension. Additional contributions are made for players such as Drury. 5 additional years. The NHL players emergency assistance fund pays for the additional contributions. 23.4 in the CBA covers this issue. That fund is designed to help former players who are struggling financially. Brooks wrote about Drury planning to file the necessary paperwork. To me it looks like Drury is using 23.4 which discussions papers for Drury to sign and then papers for the NHL and NHLPA. Why would Drury need to file paperwork?

Jim Cerny tweeted about Drury yesterday

http://twitter.com/#!/JimCerny/status/82820635767738369
This is a joke right?? Is this right? Struggling financially? The guy just got paid over 30 million bucks! Wow hes really trying to ring out every last drop isn't he? When this is finished i'd really like to know all the details/explanations as to what the motivation was behind all of this and if this paperwork is indeed being filed for this reason. Whatever the case is it seems to me like he's trying to get everything he can. It comes off as very bitter and selfish to the blue-collar fan. Some may not agree with it, but its the truth.

These programs are in place in the CBA to "help" players, but the spirit of them is for a different reason then what Drury is claiming imo. I could be wrong. I do believe everyone is entitled to every penny they can get their hands on but this seems a little excessive the way its outlined here. Especially when you just cleaned up on a ludicrous contract.

I never feel sorry for ex-sports stars or high profile persona when they have financial troubles. If you are lucky enough to be in the 5% of the nation that has that type of money, its up to you to manage it correctly and dont overstep your means. I understand that when you get all that money expenses and lifestyles rise with it - but i dont want to hear a sob story about it.

This is all leaving a bad taste in my mouth with Drury, and you can say well, hes earned it, its his right, blah blah blah, but you know what? The guy basically brought this team down on a whole. I was willing to digest that, just like all the other high-priced vets in the past. But this is taking it to another level and hes thumbing his nose at the franchise and the fans. Unless theres some unique workaround to the system going on here, and hes actually benefiting the rangers by doing this, then i see him really different.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Wouldn't Drury have to pass a physical to be traded?

How could he do that if this is technically a career ending injury and if he would technically pass a physical and the trade was to fall through could we then buy him out?
He can be traded anywhere provided that he waives his NMC and the other team is okay with the fact that he's injured.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
This is all leaving a bad taste in my mouth with Drury, and you can say well, hes earned it, its his right, blah blah blah, but you know what? The guy basically brought this team down on a whole. I was willing to digest that, just like all the other high-priced vets in the past. But this is taking it to another level and hes thumbing his nose at the franchise and the fans. Unless theres some unique workaround to the system going on here, and hes actually benefiting the rangers by doing this, then i see him really different.
Well I can't find it in this massive thread, so please correct me if I'm wrong...but didn't someone say that Drury filing for LTIR actually benefits the Rangers in their cap situation over the next two years?

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
This is a joke right?? Is this right? Struggling financially? The guy just got paid over 30 million bucks! Wow hes really trying to ring out every last drop isn't he? When this is finished i'd really like to know all the details/explanations as to what the motivation was behind all of this and if this paperwork is indeed being filed for this reason. Whatever the case is it seems to me like he's trying to get everything he can. It comes off as very bitter and selfish to the blue-collar fan. Some may not agree with it, but its the truth.

These programs are in place in the CBA to "help" players, but the spirit of them is for a different reason then what Drury is claiming imo. I could be wrong. I do believe everyone is entitled to every penny they can get their hands on but this seems a little excessive the way its outlined here. Especially when you just cleaned up on a ludicrous contract.

I never feel sorry for ex-sports stars or high profile persona when they have financial troubles. If you are lucky enough to be in the 5% of the nation that has that type of money, its up to you to manage it correctly and dont overstep your means. I understand that when you get all that money expenses and lifestyles rise with it - but i dont want to hear a sob story about it.

I am not so certain that is what Chris Drury is doing. I just really find it hard to believe that is the type of guy he is. I do think there may be some issues with him, his role, and his relationships. I speculate its between he and Torts...but the players all still seem to love the guy and I think he has a good relationship with Sather as well. Im gonna reserve judgement to see how this all pans out first. I have a feeling that the buyout goes on as planned.

If not...Im going to throw an absolute tantrum!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Levitate

They have to jump through more hoops to make the cap situation work out, but yes in theory if they use the LTIR space and aren't constrained during the summer (which it doesn't seem like they will be), then it can end up being a benefit since they won't have his deadspace cap hit on the books next season.

It's really only possible because he'll be out all season long

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Well I can't find it in this massive thread, so please correct me if I'm wrong...but didn't someone say that Drury filing for LTIR actually benefits the Rangers in their cap situation over the next two years?
Yes, because once he is placed on LTIR, we are allowed to exceed the cap by how much his cap hit is ($7.05M). Then next season, it would be gone entirely because his contract is up. If we bought him out, we'd carry a hit this year as well as next year.

I'm not saying Chris isn't trying to get his money, but I can't imagine the options were presented to him and he desperately wanted to take the one that hurt the team the most..

Old
06-21-2011, 10:21 AM
OldStanley

For a player to go onto LTIR, don't they have to miss ten games first?

http://www.fearthefin.com/2010/9/18/...ng-term-injury

Since Drury played in the playoffs, he has not missed any yet? Right?

OldStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldStanley View Post

I believe since Drury would be (or is) filing the paperwork that this is a "career" ending injury, he should be able to be placed on without having to miss 10 games.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:41 AM
GAGLine

Quote:

No, it says:

Quote:
In order to qualify for placement on the Long Term Injured Reserve (henceforth referred to as the LTIR), a player must be deemed to be unavailable for 24 days and 10 NHL games. If that is satisfied, a player can be placed on the LTIR.
If the player tears his knee up and is expected to miss 6 months, he would qualify for LTIR. He doesn't have to first miss 10 games or 24 days. The league could use their own doctors to verify the extent of the injury if they feel the player might not qualify for LTIR.

Players can also be put on LTIR retroactively, dating back to when the injury occurred.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:43 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

What a crappy way for him to end his career with that miserable season that consisted of a broken finger, twice, and a blown up knee. I feel bad for the guy (not financially, of course) to have had the type of career that he had only to end it this way.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Levitate

How did his knee get blown up anyways? I missed when that happened

Old
06-21-2011, 10:54 AM
OldStanley

Thanks,

Is Drury allowed to come off of LTIR at some point during the season?

Old
06-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Thanks,

Is Drury allowed to come off of LTIR at some point during the season?
That is the one thing I'd worry about, but if the papers he files have something to do with a career ending injury, I assume that kind of precludes him from coming back this year at least?

Old
06-21-2011, 10:56 AM
McRanger

Quote:

Drury is not being greedy, he is providing for his family. All the power to him for milking money out of a fund designed to help people that may actually need it.

I heard that if he does not feed his children one thousand dollars (in hundreds) a day, they will explode.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:08 AM
OldStanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
That is the one thing I'd worry about, but if the papers he files have something to do with a career ending injury, I assume that kind of precludes him from coming back this year at least?
Is there a benefit to him filing for career ending injury rather than just regular LTIR as far as money paid out to him?

Sorry I am full of questions.

Old
06-21-2011, 11:09 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Lifting money bags

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:16 AM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
He can be traded anywhere provided that he waives his NMC and the other team is okay with the fact that he's injured.
Thanks for the clarification.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:19 AM
mullichicken25

sorry in advance as i cant look through this massive thread for info

what kind of money does drury get if he retires early due to injury?

i'd imagine he'd get nothing from the rangers but would he get insurance money or something like that?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:25 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I would imagine that if he is filing career ending injury assistance paperwork and looking to receive a pension, etc. than he cannot come off the LTIR at all. I would also say that if he is filing this paperwork than he is pretty committed/resigned to the fact that he's not playing EVER again and not just this season. Why bother applying for a pension if you think you could be back again next year?

The silver lining then, is that if he is resigned to the fact that he'll never play again, he shouldn't be opposed to waiving his NMC for us, since he'll be able to stay at home with his family regardless, after showing up for a physical. Unless he's specifically wants to keep the Rangers on the hook for his money, I don't see why it should matter who holds the rights to his final year if he's not going to play again.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:28 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Is there a benefit to him filing for career ending injury rather than just regular LTIR as far as money paid out to him?

Sorry I am full of questions.
Drury is filing (apparently) to inform the team/league of a career ending injury. The Rangers will place him on LTIR as a result of that. They are two separate things.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Yes, because once he is placed on LTIR, we are allowed to exceed the cap by how much his cap hit is ($7.05M). Then next season, it would be gone entirely because his contract is up. If we bought him out, we'd carry a hit this year as well as next year.
OK so then Drury going on LTIR is BETTER for the Rangers than a buy out, correct?

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:39 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
OK so then Drury going on LTIR is BETTER for the Rangers than a buy out, correct?
in every way accept the effect on the summer cap is my understanding

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:45 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
i believe it happened when he realized he only gets $3 mil from a buyout but $5 mil if he's hurt LOL

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:52 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Ok then, i stand corrected. If it helps the Rangers in the long run then goodie goodie, thanks Chris.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote