HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Markov and Weber that much closer.

Old
06-21-2011, 08:48 AM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Markov and Weber that much closer.

Source Hockey Inside/Out: per Dave Stubbs

"Don Meehan, Andrei Markov’s agent, says he’ll talk with Gauthier about his client in Minneapolis during this week’s NHL Entry Draft. Yannick Weber seems close to re-signing."

Man I can't stand just hearing rumors or speculation, just want it done and over with.

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...o-for-gauthier

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Alexander Edler

What about the Wiz?

Alexander Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Edler View Post
What about the Wiz?
I have the feeling we won't keep him.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:01 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Maybe I'm just impatient but I didn't think Markov would take so long. It's not like neither side understood the situation. And I considered him a cornerstone for the other pieces to fall into place.

And maybe those parties know but I WANNA KNOW! LOL

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:02 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
What about the Wiz?
I've been saying this a lot, but I don't think that either party is going to waste too much time negotiating before July 1st. Wiz is 10 days away from hitting the open market and getting his first big-ticket long-term contract in the league. It's in Wiz's best interest to hit the open market and have 30 teams able to bid on his services, rather than limit his options to just one.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:06 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Maybe I'm just impatient but I didn't think Markov would take so long. It's not like neither side understood the situation. And I considered him a cornerstone for the other pieces to fall into place.

I would assume there's been a lot of framing done on what Markov's contract is going to look like. Both sides were probably waiting on the official salary cap determination just to ensure that it's a good fit both ways. They're probably down to the nitty-gritty now, fine-tuning the amount/term and hammering out the clauses that will be attached.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
I've been saying this a lot, but I don't think that either party is going to waste too much time negotiating before July 1st. Wiz is 10 days away from hitting the open market and getting his first big-ticket long-term contract in the league. It's in Wiz's best interest to hit the open market and have 30 teams able to bid on his services, rather than limit his options to just one.
Agreed. Sadly, I think we need to forget about Wiz. I think the decision was made a while ago. As much as he brought to the table, it seems fairly clear to me that Gauthier told his camp that Markov was the priority and that Wiz's camp definitely wants to see what options come his way on July 1st anyway. When you might be looking at deals like 4-years and $22 mil from Detroit, you are foolish to sign early.

As much as I'd like to keep him, I'd put it in the slim to nil category.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:11 AM
gusfring

Hopefully PG is getting these deals done now, so he can be aggressive on July 1st, because this team still needs help.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:12 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Agreed. Sadly, I think we need to forget about Wiz. I think the decision was made a while ago. As much as he brought to the table, it seems fairly clear to me that Gauthier told his camp that Markov was the priority and that Wiz's camp definitely wants to see what options come his way on July 1st anyway. When you might be looking at deals like 4-years and $22 mil from Detroit, you are foolish to sign early.

As much as I'd like to keep him, I'd put it in the slim to nil category.
I have to say I agree. Especially given that there are rumors about Hammer being re-signed.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:16 AM
whitespy
Allllriiight

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Hopefully PG is getting these deals done now, so he can be aggressive on July 1st, because this team still needs help.
Completely agree. And also, if we know Wiz will not be resigned, we better be getting something instead of just letting him walk July 1st. If the Yotes got a 3rd and a prospect for Briz, then I'm sure we can get something, given the small amount of D out there vs the need for them this year. Honesty, I feel like we'd get something pretty good in return, almost making the loss of our 2nd round pick a wash.

whitespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Strokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I have to say I agree. Especially given that there are rumors about Hammer being re-signed.
So it a'int so!

Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Strokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespy View Post
Completely agree. And also, if we know Wiz will not be resigned, we better be getting something instead of just letting him walk July 1st. If the Yotes got a 3rd and a prospect for Briz, then I'm sure we can get something, given the small amount of D out there vs the need for them this year. Honesty, I feel like we'd get something pretty good in return, almost making the lost of our 2nd round pick a wash.
I hope they'll trade his rights during the draft.

Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespy View Post
Completely agree. And also, if we know Wiz will not be resigned, we better be getting something instead of just letting him walk July 1st. If the Yotes got a 3rd and a prospect for Briz, then I'm sure we can get something, given the small amount of D out there bs the need for them this year. Honesty, I feel like we'd get something pretty good in return, almost making the lost of our 2nd round pick a wash.
I think the only holdup to trying to move Wiz is getting Markov signed. I think Wisniewski is plan B right now. If things were to go sour with Markov's camp then PG can try and get Wisniewski signed by July 1st.

In an ideal world things would go like this...

1-Markov signs for 2 years at 11 mil or 3 at 15.5-16
2-Gorges signs for 3 years at 8.25 or 4 at 10.5.
3-Wiz's rights are traded to a Western team for a 2011 late 2nd or early 3rd rounder.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think the only holdup to trying to move Wiz is getting Markov signed. I think Wisniewski is plan B right now. If things were to go sour with Markov's camp then PG can try and get Wisniewski signed by July 1st.

3-Wiz's rights are traded to a Western team for a 2011 late 2nd or early 3rd rounder.
My only concern about this theory is that Meehan has said they don't even plan to meet Gauthier until the weekend at the draft. If Wiz was really Plan B, they'd be pushing harder on Markov this week and not leaving it until the weekend. Just my 2 cents.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:28 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:

I think that's an accurate picture of what to expect.

Even though Bryz's rights netted a decent return, the thing that worries me about whether or not the Habs would be able to ship Wiz's rights out is the debacle that surrounded Hamhuis' rights last year. I think there's a chance that the Habs could find a taker, but I don't think that there's going to be much of a return. Who knows though? I've been wrong before.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:29 AM
whitespy
Allllriiight

Quote:

Yup, you may be right. Makes sense, but I would have liked to see Markov dealt with a little sooner. Again we're feeling the affects of our own restrictions, I.e., not negotiating during the season. As much as they say it's not so, they haven't signed anyone during the season to prove otherwise. This hurts us.

whitespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post

In 2007 they signed him on June 28th. So, you might have to wait an extra week

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Tim Wallach

I should also add that I don't expect Wiz's rights to fetch us a 2nd or 3rd. Don't forget that with Bryzgalov, the Flyers had a couple of weeks of exclusive rights, plus they had a guy with no qualms about signing early if he got the right deal.

In Wiz's case, the team would only be getting him a week ahead of UFA status and I think they'd be fairly scared of the fact he appears destined to try out free agency.

These factors lower the compensation value for trading his rights. I'd say the over/under would be a 5th.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:35 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
My only concern about this theory is that Meehan has said they don't even plan to meet Gauthier until the weekend at the draft. If Wiz was really Plan B, they'd be pushing harder on Markov this week and not leaving it until the weekend. Just my 2 cents.
Here's the quotation in question:

"Markov’s agent, Don Meehan, said he and Gauthier are working on a deal for Markov and they will meet later this week at the NHL entry draft in Minnesota." http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...635/story.html

Given the fact that the draft is this week, I assume it would be difficult for an NHL GM and one of the most prominent agents to find the time to sit down before the draft and hammer that out, given all the other responsibilities they have. Even though they aren't meeting right now, Meehan says they are working towards a deal. I would think that the in-person meeting would be the home stretch for both sides, barring a catastrophic turnaround.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
It's not just about meeting Markov. All parties must be available to come in. Maybe Markov is on vacation, maybe Meehan is busy with other clients throughout the NHL and can't come down for a meeting before. Maybe they have a verbal agreement to get things down and therefore, aren't in a rush to put it on ink and sign some papers.
You'd also think that with the draft only a week away, Gauthier is likely to be busy with that as well, not to mention also getting ready for the open market to pursue players that could go on day 1. The Cap number still hasn't been made official as well.

People read way too much into certain things.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:38 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
These factors lower the compensation value for trading his rights. I'd say the over/under would be a 5th.
That would be my ballpark for a flat-out pick as well. I think that the best PG would do would be for a conditional pick based on whether Wiz signs. I could see a 3rd or better coming the Habs' way if they took that route.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It's not just about meeting Markov. All parties must be available to come in. Maybe Markov is on vacation, maybe Meehan is busy with other clients throughout the NHL and can't come down for a meeting before. Maybe they have a verbal agreement to get things down and therefore, aren't in a rush to put it on ink and sign some papers.
You'd also think that with the draft only a week away, Gauthier is likely to be busy with that as well, not to mention also getting ready for the open market to pursue players that could go on day 1. The Cap number still hasn't been made official as well.

People read way too much into certain things.
I'm not saying those factors aren't possible. Nor am I ingoring the fact that it's a busy week for GMs and time is an issue. I'm just saying that if your plan is really to sign Markov and then move to Wiz if that fails, you'd be pressing that issue much more than leaving it to the draft. Don't forget he got several other deals done in the last two weeks.

I could be wrong, but to me, the way this is playing out is not indicative of a team that is making firm plans to go after another guy before July 1st if Plan A falls through.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
That would be my ballpark for a flat-out pick as well. I think that the best PG would do would be for a conditional pick based on whether Wiz signs. I could see a 3rd or better coming the Habs' way if they took that route.

Agreed. If they're able to put conditions like that on the pick, I expect at least a 3rd too.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:

I think this is about spot on. Still not sold on Wiz so I'd like to see something like this happen.

"Mophead in the middle is the mad scientist of the group. He sits quietly, wide eyed with a smile on his face until someone unleashes him, and then he explodes into an explanation Fury like a coked out physicist explaining the Theory of Relativity to a grade 8 class."
Follow me on Twitter
Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:45 AM
alexstream

Quote:
What about the Wiz?
Cheese-Wiz?

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote