HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Subban/marchand double standard?

Old
06-21-2011, 09:44 AM
yohan1212

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Definately true. i think Marchand is going to have some problems next year,He pissed off alot of people,more so than Subban ever did.
No, I think marchand will be ok. Another big difference between the two is Marchand has people to protect him, unless Montreal signs someone this offseason Subban does not.

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
No, I think marchand will be ok. Another big difference between the two is Marchand has people to protect him, unless Montreal signs someone this offseason Subban does not.
The Bruins don't exactly have a good track record of deterring cheap shots.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:56 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Dude, it's not our fault you, along with most Bruins and other NHL teams fans, have your idea of Subban based on what people say about him rather than what he actually does.

I've heard 654654 times that Marchand doesn't turtle and drops the gloves unlike diving ***** Subban!11!! Meanwhile, Marchand dropped the gloves once to Subbans's four.

Is the Bruins board the Fox News of hockey or something?
Oh come on, give Fox news a little more credit

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:57 AM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
The Bruins don't exactly have a good track record of deterring cheap shots.
Cheap shots are one thing, and Subban will be just as likely to get injured while receiving one as Marchand or any other player. Just saying people won't be lining up to try to fight Marchand every other shift like they do Subban..

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:00 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Cheap shots are one thing, and Subban will be just as likely to get injured while receiving one as Marchand or any other player. Just saying people won't be lining up to try to fight Marchand every other shift like they do Subban..
Subban's no Ehrhoff. People can line up to fight him all they want. They will be met with a smile, a penalty and most likely a PP goal. This stuff certainly didn't affect him as a rookie and I highly doubt that any bullying will negatively impact Subban's game in the future.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Because other Bruins will fight for him? And because players of other teams won't want to fight those Bruins?

All that does is increase the likelihood of him receiving a cheapshot. Players aren't scared of fighting because if it comes down to it, they don't have to do it. But if every time they try to get to Marchand after a whistle his teammates step in, then they'll just get him out on the ice.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Protest the Hero

The funniest part is when the Bruins fans come in here to defend Marchand. I don't know about the rest of the Habs fans but I really have no problem with what Marchand does. I'd say Canucks fans are the ones you should try convincing, they hate him far more than us.

We have other Bruins we need to focus our hate on. My problem comes with everyone hating Subban for the exact same things.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
The funniest part is when the Bruins fans come in here to defend Marchand. I don't know about the rest of the Habs fans but I really have no problem with what Marchand does. I'd say Canucks fans are the ones you should try convincing, they hate him far more than us.

We have other Bruins we need to focus our hate on. My problem comes with everyone hating Subban for the exact same things.
Exactly. This isn't a Marchand topic, nor is it about Bruins fans hating Subban.

Marchand is an excellent player who I hate because he does "despicable" things that make him that much more effective. It'd be awesome if he were a Hab. And I don't give a rat's ass what Bruins fans think, other than to point out their hypocrisy for my own amusement.

This is about the media, idiots like Don Cherry and Mike Richards, and a clear bias in how Subban is portrayed.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post

Concise and to the point and well put. I've been arguing with Bruins fans and hf in general since september but the point flies right over all their heads.

I agree with every point. I also love Marchand, one hell of a talent. If you love marchand but hate Subban, like a real hate then you're a hypocrite. Same goes for habs fans who love Subban but hate Marchand.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:03 AM
McNuts

It's because he's black. It's the only explanation I came up with. Cherry is an old school canadian. His grand father was probably British or something. His generation is particularily racist. He doesn't like the black kid attitude that Subban sometimes has.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:19 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Well, i personally believe race doesnt have anything to do with it. I remember Anson Carter being embraced in boston and had a great following. Fans loved him, he was a great player here. I also see others (white mind you), who have been criticized and many teams called them "disgraces to the game"- see claude Lemieux, ulf samuelson etc. I dont think Subban's "pest lke approach" is what players/teams don't like about him. Again, Marchand is a superpest and is getting love. I think it is his pure arrogance added to the fact he is/was a rookie. Marchand is also a pest, but doesnt act like his poo doesn't stink..
I also remember a Banana peel being thrown on the ice when a certain goalie played here.

People can cite Iginla and Anson Carter all they want. Just because those guys racism against those guys was never publicly exposed doesn't mean racism all of the sudden doesn't exist. It isn't the 0.0001% of the population like some naive people try to convince themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
Exactly. Racism never left north american society, it just became publicly unacceptable. Unfortunately this means that for the dominant racial group (white people) who are not perpetrators themselves are largely unaware at all the subtle racist ******** racial minorities go through as a part of everyday life.
It also become such a ****ing faux pas (politically incorrect) to even discuss issues of race that we all put a blanket over it now and pretend it doesn't exist. Meanwhile it's this type of behavior that simply perpetuates this type of hate in the first place and allows it to continue existing in our society till this day.

Pretending something isn't there doesn't make it go away, and anyone who thinks it does imo has an underlying race problem of their own if they think it does.

It drives me nuts that people are so PC or uptight about discussing race that they themselves are racist in the process of being so PC/uptight. You think black people don't know they're black, and that it makes them feel better when you say "African American"? Only politicians and PC uptight individuals actually spread that kind of crap or believe it/eat it up. Truth is any black person I've ever known preferred to just be called black and a lot of my friends growing up felt that being called "African American" was actually condescending. But we've become so uptight as a society now a days that racism can't even be discussed because "it doesn't exist" and if you act all PC you're not a racist but in reality acting is acting, that's all it is and it doesn't make you anything.

Then you have people deleting posts because you say in a main board thread that part of the hate against Subban is racially fueled. You'd have to be a very naive person to think otherwise.

Racism didn't pack up and move away, it's only people (usually whiteys, you know who you are ) who don't experience it in their daily life who actually naively think that.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:39 PM
roy munson

My opinion is that this whole debate is pointless. Marchand is/will be a very good player, but he won't be close to what PK will become. I know: apple vs oranges... My point is, even if Marchand is a good player, he's no different than a lot of NHLers. Very good and hardworking, but not special. Subban, in addition to his tremedous talent and his restlessness, has this X factor. He's gonna be a superstar and he's ours.

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:11 PM
WeezyHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
wow that otr segment rlly bothered me
pure ignorance
PKs teammates hate him and wont stand up for him
The one that was on yesterday? link?

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:10 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan View Post
The one that was on yesterday? link?
Ye the one from yesterday... Here's the link on youtube:

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:19 PM
PhysicX

Pretty nice video I've found on youtube... Posted almost a day ago (maybe from an HF Member?)

Watch it in its entirety. Cherry is commenting on Subban first, then on Marchand. Pretty similar no?
**** Don Cherry!

PK!! Or whatever his name is Subban... Nice way to introduce a player ****head!
I've watched him since he was 14... So?? What do you want to prove with that statement?
Comrie cut him pretty good! You're surely not recommending a guy to take a stick to him? I'M JUST SAYING... (nice way of avoiding the question hahahahaha)

Racist trash... Get that **** away from CBC ASAP!

Last edited by PhysicX: 06-21-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old
06-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Roke

That OTR is ridiculous

Confident body language: cocky scum

Punching somebody in the face repeatedly in a scrum when they aren't retaliating: HOCKEY PLAY, love the guy.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
It's because he's black. It's the only explanation I came up with. Cherry is an old school canadian. His grand father was probably British or something. His generation is particularily racist. He doesn't like the black kid attitude that Subban sometimes has.
Irish.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post

Pretty nice video I've found on youtube... Posted almost a day ago (maybe from an HF Member?)

Watch it in its entirety. Cherry is commenting on Subban first, then on Marchand. Pretty similar no?
**** Don Cherry!

PK!! Or whatever his name is Subban... Nice way to introduce a player ****head!
I've watched him since he was 14... So?? What do you want to prove with that statement?
Comrie cut him pretty good! You're surely not recommending a guy to take a stick to him? I'M JUST SAYING... (nice way of avoiding the question hahahahaha)

Racist trash... Get that **** away from CBC ASAP!
That's actually a video I made, though not my account. I guess someone else saved it and uploaded it again, for whatever reason.

If I had put more than 5 minutes of effort into it and had not used CBC's property without their permission, I might be annoyed.

Old
06-21-2011, 07:28 PM
PhysicX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
That's actually a video I made, though not my account. I guess someone else saved it and uploaded it again, for whatever reason.

If I had put more than 5 minutes of effort into it and had not used CBC's property without their permission, I might be annoyed.
If it is yours, great video mate! Never really watched Coaches' Corner, but this is disturbing. Double standard you guys say?

Old
06-21-2011, 07:56 PM
DeVries*

The more I see those things (Chara-Pacioretty incident with the league backing Boston, the way they treated Subban, Ference's crosscheck in Halpern's face no penalty, Boychuck vs Raymond no penalty, Rome on Horton = suspension, etc.) I just can't stand Boston having this year's Stanley Cup. It's a non-legit cup, the league did everything they can to always claim in front of everyone that the way the Boston Bruins play is acceptable.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

It is pretty simple. Marchand plays for the Bruins. A Bruins team known for their cockiness, toughness and what Marchand does is just "another guy" that plays for the Bruins.
While on our end, what Subban does is totally OUT OF THE ORDINAIRY as far as we're concerned, and then the guy is just so different that he appears to be way worst than he actually is.

You don't necessarily notice the most dangerous lion in a group of lions....but you DO notice the lion in a group of mice.....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:25 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It is pretty simple. Marchand plays for the Bruins. A Bruins team known for their cockiness, toughness and what Marchand does is just "another guy" that plays for the Bruins.
While on our end, what Subban does is totally OUT OF THE ORDINAIRY as far as we're concerned, and then the guy is just so different that he appears to be way worst than he actually is.

You don't necessarily notice the most dangerous lion in a group of lions....but you DO notice the lion in a group of mice.....
Couldn't have said it any better.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:30 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Especially when the Lion is black.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Especially when the Lion is black.
couldn't have said THAT any better...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Teufelsdreck

We're not supposed to allude to racism. I suppose there's a better explanation for what we've seen. I just wish someone could tell me what it is in non-lawyerly terms. Alternatively, we could have a theater of the absurd in which the Habs sign another black player of little talent who attacks everyone in a black-and-yellow uniform like a berserk rhinoceros. Then Subban would be considered the "good one" by contrast.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote