HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Sin City

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2005, 07:05 PM
big_steve

vCash: 500
I watched it today. The best movie I have seen in a LOOOOOONG time. Gets a 9.5/10 from me. Mickey Rourke was great as Marv IMO. His story was my favourite.

Old
08-26-2005, 08:46 PM
jackmanfan

I thought it was a great movie, and very unique as well. I really liked how closely they kept it to the the comic book type of action, and the use of color in certain situations. The problem I had with the movie though was that it was obviously not a Stanley Kubric film, because you could tell that scenes were a little rushed. I don't know that it was either that the actors had trouble acting with only a green screen behind them for the entire film, or if they just rushed the scenes because of budget purposes (they had to pay all of those star actors somehow). All in all though it is a great character, and Rourke was incredible...

Old
08-27-2005, 07:04 AM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmanfan
I thought it was a great movie, and very unique as well. I really liked how closely they kept it to the the comic book type of action, and the use of color in certain situations. The problem I had with the movie though was that it was obviously not a Stanley Kubric film, because you could tell that scenes were a little rushed. I don't know that it was either that the actors had trouble acting with only a green screen behind them for the entire film, or if they just rushed the scenes because of budget purposes (they had to pay all of those star actors somehow). All in all though it is a great character, and Rourke was incredible...
I don't think it had to do with budget problems, but I know what your talking about. I really didn't like Micheal Madsen in the movie at all, he seemed out of place.

Old
08-28-2005, 10:03 AM
jackmanfan

well what I mean about the budget is that they hired so many top notch actors that they probobally had to tell the actors they wouldn't make them work on the movie for very long, so then they wouldnt have to pay them so much, so they didnt do as many takes as they should have... But what do I know anyway...

BTW does anyone know what portion Tarintino directed?

Old
08-28-2005, 10:42 AM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmanfan
well what I mean about the budget is that they hired so many top notch actors that they probobally had to tell the actors they wouldn't make them work on the movie for very long, so then they wouldnt have to pay them so much, so they didnt do as many takes as they should have... But what do I know anyway...

BTW does anyone know what portion Tarintino directed?
Tarantino directed the part with Clive Owen and Benico Del Toro in the car. You can't really tell probably because it was his first time ever using the digital format thing.

Old
08-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull
I don't think it had to do with budget problems, but I know what your talking about. I really didn't like Micheal Madsen in the movie at all, he seemed out of place.
Madsen was horrible in the intro for his story, but was alright when Hartigan first gets out.

I felt a lot of Owen's lines were fumbled too.

Also, even with all the talk about Rourke (who did a great job), I still say Nick Stahl turned in the best performance out of all the major players. Unlike some of the actors Stahl managed to breath life to the dialogue, letting flow and adding in his own twist to it, rather than having it seem like he was litterally changing panels as he went.

And as a final note, Rutger Hauer's cameo was pretty chilling. Even if he can't lead a film well, he definitely fits right into the despicable slimy types.

Old
08-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Madsen was horrible in the intro for his story, but was alright when Hartigan first gets out.

Also, even with all the talk about Rourke (who did a great job), I still say Nick Stahl turned in the best performance out of all the major players. Unlike some of the actors Stahl managed to breath life to the dialogue, letting flow and adding in his own twist to it, rather than having it seem like he was litterally changing panels as he went.

And as a final note, Rutger Hauer's cameo was pretty chilling. Even if he can't lead a film well, he definitely fits right into the despicable slimy types.
Yeah I also thought Stahl was amazing. It has to be pretty hard to play the exact same character in two completley different physical forms. Most of the acting was extremely well done, Elijah Wood did pretty good considering what he was given.

Old
08-28-2005, 12:16 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

MOP is right, Stahl did a great job. I also think that Benicio Del Toro did a great job with his limited time. Rourke was great as well.

Very, very good movie.

Old
08-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Moon Man*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets

I think with so much of the movies dialogue being fired over the top, Owen and Madsen seemed like they went for broke and hammed it up as much as possible. IMO, Owen pulls it off as McCarthy, who comes across as a seriously intense guy who speaks in monotones in the "The Big Fat Kill". Madsen doesn't.

If Owen comes back for the sequel (I heard a rumour he's still not comfirmed) he should be able to add more emotional depth to Dwight.

Another scene that broke the mood was Brittany Murphy calling out to Dwight... I almost started laughing at "You fool... You damn fool."

That's the price paid for making it as close to the source material as possible, but it's a negligible cost. The Sin City series is the only comic run I can think of that lends itself so well to the big screen.

Old
08-28-2005, 04:09 PM
big_steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
MOP is right, Stahl did a great job. I also think that Benicio Del Toro did a great job with his limited time. Rourke was great as well.

Very, very good movie.
Even though I felt Mickey Rourke done the best job, Del Toro's character was definitely my favourite. I loved the scene in the car with Clive Owen. Stahl was great like you guys are saying. Really, who doesn't love the name Yellow *******?

Closed Thread