HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais re-signs. 2 years, AAV 850 000

Old
06-21-2011, 07:41 AM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Somebody has a video of Desharnais fighting for the puck against Chara?

It's almost biblical

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:53 AM
neofury*

3rd line center while Eller is out, 3rd line winger while he is in.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:15 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
...and that is based on ABSOLUTELY nothing.

I would assume to get DD to sign for two years you had to offer a little more. He might of gotten DD on a one year deal for 650K or something, but what incentive would DD have of signing a two year deal that low??
It's pretty simple. Growing up guys like Desharnais and Darche dreamed of one day wearing the jersey. And not just from a gift shop, one which will be used for playing on the habs! These guys are living their boyhood dream. They probably hear 800k and go "cha ching" because making 1.5 million even on Anaheim simply does not compare for them to playing for the team they dreamed about growing up.

Of course they're going to sign a discount, let me ask you something, if you were a projected 2.5 liner (not quite 2nd but very good 3rd liner) and you were offered your dream job but at a pay cut, would you go to Anaheim for the 1.5 million knowing full well if you take the 2 year 800k per from the habs that you might retire here and make all the money you'll ever need anyways?

A lot of these guys live the simple life. Not everyone is Jagr who gambles and lives a lavish life. If you see the Darche video on youtube you'd see he lives a very modest life. You wouldn't even think he's a guy making 700k+ a year. These guys are living the dream and I commend them for signing these reasonable contracts. It's just too bad we don't have a Quebecois superstar with the same mentality.

Old
06-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Skarjak

In all honesty though, this was the first year that Darche was making so much money. His salary was far lower when he was on 2-way contracts.

Leblanc looks like his head is screwed on correctly. He could be a talented Québecois with good values.

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
It's pretty simple. Growing up guys like Desharnais and Darche dreamed of one day wearing the jersey. And not just from a gift shop, one which will be used for playing on the habs! These guys are living their boyhood dream. They probably hear 800k and go "cha ching" because making 1.5 million even on Anaheim simply does not compare for them to playing for the team they dreamed about growing up.

Of course they're going to sign a discount, let me ask you something, if you were a projected 2.5 liner (not quite 2nd but very good 3rd liner) and you were offered your dream job but at a pay cut, would you go to Anaheim for the 1.5 million knowing full well if you take the 2 year 800k per from the habs that you might retire here and make all the money you'll ever need anyways?

A lot of these guys live the simple life. Not everyone is Jagr who gambles and lives a lavish life. If you see the Darche video on youtube you'd see he lives a very modest life. You wouldn't even think he's a guy making 700k+ a year. These guys are living the dream and I commend them for signing these reasonable contracts. It's just too bad we don't have a Quebecois superstar with the same mentality.
There could be a small "home town discount" but I doubt iut's anywhere close to 800k vs 1.5 mil...maybe it's 50-100k gross.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Andros777

I think the two years is pretty telling. I think Gauthier and the rest of the staff expect Desharnais to take on a larger role than most people think. More than just fourth line center anyway.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
I think the two years is pretty telling. I think Gauthier and the rest of the staff expect Desharnais to take on a larger role than most people think. More than just fourth line center anyway.
I think they plan on him being a key player on the PP and to a lesser extent PK, but in terms of 5 on 5 if he produces he'll get more ice time, the Habs with JM have been more of a 3-4 line team than one that overplays it's top 6...last year Darche Halpern DD and Pouliot had decent numbers playing mostly bottom 6. Eller's came on in the 2nd half.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:37 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Can't wait to see what DD can do next year. I doubted him when I first saw him in his rookie year in Hamilton, but ever since he's made a believer out of me. Such great vision and he always works hard, wouldn't be surprised to see him put up some good numbers.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:47 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Can't wait to see what DD can do next year. I doubted him when I first saw him in his rookie year in Hamilton, but ever since he's made a believer out of me. Such great vision and he always works hard, wouldn't be surprised to see him put up some good numbers.
If Gerber and Ennis (two short players) can do well in Buffalo, DD can do as well for the Habs.

He has progressed at every single level he played in. he is a serious guy and a real competitor.

My only concern about DD was not his size or talent. It was because the Habs have already a plethora of smallish guys on the team as well as in the AHL and junior hockey.

I'm glad he signed for the Habs because I am pretty sure he would had done quite well with almost any other organization.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:49 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
I don't know how much can be gleaned from the two year length with regards to the Habs' outlook on DD. It's pretty much a standard "next step" one-way contract for a youngish player that is deserving of a one way contract.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

Great Post. It puts things in perspective. A guy like Desharnais fantasized about playing for the Habs. While he likely wouldn't accept a low ball offer, $800k/yr. for 2 years on a one-way is hardly chicken feed. Desharnais was making $400 week four years ago, had failed in his first AHL call up and probably should have been viewing Europe has his highest step on the hockey ladder.

DD has hit the lottery twice. In both dollars and organization. He really is "living the dream". I spoke recently with a person who had a lot of contact with Desharnais during his year in Cincinnati and he said that "he was a better person than he was player". It's nice to see good people have great success. Congrats to DD!!!

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:10 PM
De Montreal
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
We spent two and a half million dollars today on what will prove to be 2/3 of how our PP scores goals next season.
Interesting way to put it. Haven't thought about that this way...

Anyway, good signing

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:15 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
There could be a small "home town discount" but I doubt iut's anywhere close to 800k vs 1.5 mil...maybe it's 50-100k gross.
Was just tossing out some example numbers. I do think if a team like Carolina offered Darche 1.2 mil but Montreal offered him 800k he'd still stay here though. Again it goes back to living your dream and being comfortable living in Montreal. He has kids too, stability is a good thing. Maybe if a team like Detroit offered him 1.5-2 (would never happen) he'd go, but I'm saying the maximum realistic overpayment. He'd likely still stick with the habs for less.

Old
06-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I like DD, but for him to take the next step, he'll need to pack on some weight, and practice, practice, practice, especially his skating. He won't dominate with his s hetick only, and his size will never serve him, unless he becomes quicker. If takes that step, he'll replace Gomez in the near future, or else, he'll stay a 2nd tier player for most of his career.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I like DD, but for him to take the next step, he'll need to pack on some weight, and practice, practice, practice, especially his skating. He won't dominate with his s hetick only, and his size will never serve him, unless he becomes quicker. If takes that step, he'll replace Gomez in the near future, or else, he'll stay a 2nd tier player for most of his career.
Desharnais is 5'6" 177lbs, he is already stocky, how much weight do you want him to pack on?

He's not going to make a living in the NHL at 190lbs, it will slow him down, he needs to be the quickest guy on the ice to produce at this level.

Old
06-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Desharnais is 5'6" 177lbs, he is already stocky, how much weight do you want him to pack on?

He's not going to make a living in the NHL at 190lbs, it will slow him down, he needs to be the quickest guy on the ice to produce at this level.
He's not stable on his skates like Gionta or Gomez can be. So either it's weight needed, or stronger legs.

Old
06-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
They should add 'Like' buttons...
Always said this.

There should be like buttons on these forums like in facebook and youtube and such.

Would have saved a post just now actually

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
He's not stable on his skates like Gionta or Gomez can be. So either it's weight needed, or stronger legs.
Not really sure waht you mean by that?

He's very strong on his skates, that's what alloows him to outbattle bigger players and maintain control of the puck...you must have him confused with Pouliot?

Old
06-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Not really sure waht you mean by that?

He's very strong on his skates, that's what alloows him to outbattle bigger players and maintain control of the puck...you must have him confused with Pouliot?
I see it more as a result of his stickplay, because he constantly gets manhandled and doesn't outbattle bigger players on a constant basis, it's actually the opposite, he oftens loses puck battles because he gets manhandled. He needs to get stronger legs and get quicker.

Old
06-21-2011, 02:44 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

very good signing

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:22 PM
odishabs

have a feeling Desharnais will be moved to the wing unless Gomez is dealt. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Desharnais - Eller - Laich??

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:26 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
have a feeling Desharnais will be moved to the wing unless Gomez is dealt. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Eller and Kostitsyn had very good chemistry together last year, if we get another top-6 winger we can put them with Desharnais and that will be a very solid offensive third line.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:36 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
I see it more as a result of his stickplay, because he constantly gets manhandled and doesn't outbattle bigger players on a constant basis, it's actually the opposite, he oftens loses puck battles because he gets manhandled. He needs to get stronger legs and get quicker.
Desharnais wins a lot more puck battles than he loses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post

I prefer if we sign Laich (who is my first choice), that he plays with Pleks & Cammy. Gives it the Sedin-Sedin-Burrows type line. Eller and Kostitsyn showed good chemistry and Desharnais can just really open the play up for them with his disgusting passes.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:58 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Desharnais wins a lot more puck battles than he loses...

I prefer if we sign Laich (who is my first choice), that he plays with Pleks & Cammy. Gives it the Sedin-Sedin-Burrows type line. Eller and Kostitsyn showed good chemistry and Desharnais can just really open the play up for them with his disgusting passes.
Completely agree, my mock lines in the event of Laich is:

Cammy-Pleks-Laich
Patches-Gomez-Gionta
Desharnais-Eller-Kostitsyn.

I assume yours are similar, the reason I put Desharnais on the wing and not Eller is I think he just translates there better. Eller almost looked lost most of the time playing the wing, where as at center he was dominant with the puck on his stick despite his lack of point totals (they will come with experience and better line mates).

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Boston't gritty smurfs(Marchand Recchi Bergeron Krejci) outplayed Vanouver's big soft guys(Sedins Edler Ehrhoff Salo).
Touché, and you are right, it isn't size that is the main issue, it's a roster balance issue, which is the point I was trying to make.

Difference is simple:
Lucic
Horton
Thornton
Campbell
Chara
Boychuk
Mcquaid

Surround our 5 "smurfs" with that kind of grit/toughness, and the issue disappears.

Much like VCR, our management purposely avoids players whose main asset is grit/toughness, and as a result, our key players have to do all their own heavy lifting ( unlike krecj who has the bash brothers making space for him, or Marchand who knows he can do what he wants b/c he's got a mountain of beef backing him up.

In our series bs the bruins, we avoided thomas's crease like the plague, while Marchand was poking his stick at Price constantly.... Why? b/c Gomez wouldnt risk Vhara's rath, while rat boy was looking fwd to a chance to throw punches at pleks or whoever else was left to dance with in the scrims after his back-up had already neutralized moen or gill.

Until the league decides to enforce the rules in the playoffs, teams need, at the minimum, to have a healthy balance of skill/grit in order to survive 4 rounds.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote