HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News on Josh Gorges: "No talks yet"

Old
06-21-2011, 01:02 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

vCash: 500
News on Josh Gorges: "No talks yet"

Ignore all the other crap you're reading out there I guess, as LeBrun has the following on Josh, from Epp (his agent):
"Epp also represents pending RFA blueliner Josh Gorges of the Montreal Canadiens and said there hasn't been any talks on that front yet."

http://es.pn/lqdqP0

White Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:09 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

No need for concern, the guy will be signed as will Markov. GM's have a lot on their plate and I am sure communication lines are always open, just not formal negotiations.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Interesting, but not very worrying. He's an RFA who wants to stay here, so he's not as much of a priority as Markov or even Wiz if the Habs are pursuing that route.

However, looking at RFA compensation for this upcoming season, if Gorges were to sign an offer sheet for $3.1M and the Habs don't want to match, the compensation is only a 2nd round pick.

That's definitely on the upper end of what I'd want to see Gorges making but also definitely not worth passing on for a measly 2nd rounder. It's these types of scenarios that other teams with a bit more cap flexibility should be taking advantage of when it comes to offer sheets. Either they get a solid player for a slight overpayment and a 2nd round pick or they force the Habs into keeping him and eating up a bit more of their cap space.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:18 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
No need for concern, the guy will be signed as will Markov. GM's have a lot on their plate and I am sure communication lines are always open, just not formal negotiations.
Oh yeah, for sure. I've been reading a lot of different things lately, so I just thought I'd share what actually seems to be happening on that front.

White Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

vCash: 1484
Gorges is a RFA so no rush to get him signed yet. I'm sure Markov and the draft are their priorities.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

I'm sure him and Markov will get signed soon enough.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:23 PM
JimmyDarmody

All they need to do is qualify him anyways.

More concerned with the Markov and Wiz situation.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:15 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

For some reason, I'm getting the vibe that Gorges is going to be a package in some sort of trade. Not because it's my sentiment that he should be traded, I love Gorges, for some reason I just get that vibe.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:18 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
For some reason, I'm getting the vibe that Gorges is going to be a package in some sort of trade. Not because it's my sentiment that he should be traded, I love Gorges, for some reason I just get that vibe.
Was thinking the same thing...would love to see him stay, but if he wants more than 2.5M I can see him being traded...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:27 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Was thinking the same thing...would love to see him stay, but if he wants more than 2.5M I can see him being traded...
He would be a huge bargaining chip to move up in the draft, if PG desires to do so.

For some reason I could also picture the Habs doing some sort of swap between Gorges and Bieksa, pending that Bieksa will sign here. I think PG is going to try and make us a little tougher, and although Bieksa will likely command 1.5-2M more than Gorges he would be an upgrade. They could target Ehrhoff for disimilar reasons as well, our left-side on D is considered weak (atleast I think so) and Ehrhoff will get a big pay day, likely 3M or so more than Gorges and Van would be in a position to save much needed cap space with a deal like this and still get a serviceable Top 4 guy in return and we get a solid Top 3 puck mover in the event Markov ever goes down.

Again, I can't re-iterate how badly I want Gorges to stay. For some reason though, I can't shake the feeling that something is up on that front. I think both sides appreciate each other very much, I just think Gorges is our most valuable-yet-replacable trading chip.

Old
06-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Bullsmith

Gorges price is hard to nail down, with a much larger possible range than deals like Pax and DD. It makes sense PG would deal with his UFAs while he still has their rights. No real surprise he hasn't started talks on Gorges yet. What will be interesting is how long talks take when they do start.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

I don't see why anyone think we would be better off without him.

IMO he has more value on this team than if he were traded. We wouldn't get a top-6 forward for him and we don't have a young solid defensive player who can fill his spot in the lint-up. We have Emelin, Tinordi and Dias in the future and maybe someone from Hamilton who could fill the defensive hole but I don't think they would be as effective as Gorges.

If he's traded I will be extremely disappointed, especially considering PG seems like he's focused on building the team from the back end.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Hope not, Gorges is worth more to us then what we will probs get in return for him

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:23 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
The vibe I'm getting is quite the contrary. If Gorges isn't signed before july 1st, doesn't that imply he's part of the core Gauthier plans to hold on to? Wouldn't PG want to sign him to a reasonable contract to make him even more attractive () if he was thinking of using him in a trade if he needed to?

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:27 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
The vibe I'm getting is quite the contrary. If Gorges isn't signed before july 1st, doesn't that imply he's part of the core Gauthier plans to hold on to? Wouldn't PG want to sign him to a reasonable contract to make him even more attractive () if he was thinking of using him in a trade if he needed to?
I'm not sure, everyone perceives the situation differently I suppose.

I know if I was PG, Josh Gorges would have been one of the first players I got signed and done with. Mind you it appears he's dealing with the small fish first, which isn't a bad approach neither I guess.

IMO he's a crucial team guy, and I'd want to show him it means alot to us and he'd be one of the first ones signed. But again, that's just the way I'd do it.

Old
06-21-2011, 06:26 PM
RE-HABS

Gorges is going no where, and Gorges is a RFA so there is no rush.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:42 PM
habsrule22

With Gorges, he will be buying UFA years so how much it will cost is a little more complicated. It will take a little longer

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:43 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

No news is good news?

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:52 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Man, PG must be so busy these days with the draft and the RFA/UFA negotiations and planning.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Roulin

Might as well wait as long as possible before deciding whether to sign him long or short term. The longer he rehabs, the more the organization will know about his health going forward.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

He's an RFA, so I'm not as worried. He needs to be signed though. He's just such a reliable warrior.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:41 PM
macavoy

Not signing him is the right move. You spend all your money on Patches, Markov, Wiz etc..... and they when you are broke, you tell the guy who is a stay at home dman, that is a heart player, that you can only afford to offer him a 50% raise. So he gets like $1.9m and you'll give him like 5 years to compensate, aka trade stability for fat contract.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote