HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will P.K. Subban go through a sophomore slump?

Old
06-21-2011, 12:56 PM
juve

vCash: 500

A lot of rookies go through a sophomore slump. Do you believe Subban will go through one? Or can he break the curse?

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Gros Bonhomme
Benoit Brunet #1 Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Gros Bonhomme
One could say his slump was the bad stretch he had through the middle of last year.

Gros Bonhomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:57 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

I was actually talking to a friend about this. I think he will have a disappointing season. Good start and then off the rails.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
A lot of rookies go through a sophomore slump. Do you believe Subban will go through one? Or can he break the curse?

I think he sort of did in October and November. Having Gill plus hopefully a healthy Markov and solid depth on the blueline should help us deal with any sophmore slump.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

He's got too much swag to hit a slump.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Roulin

IMO, many sophomore slumps are the result of players being relied on to play against tougher opposition than in their rookie seasons. See Bogosian in Atlanta this year, or Richards and Carter in 06-07. If the Habs want to protect Markov and Gorges to start the season, then yeah, I can definitely see an adjustment period for PK. I think he'll come out of it relatively smoothly, he's done well in stints against top competition already - but over a long stretch of games, with an aging Gill as his partner, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes through some rough patches.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Bullsmith

He already did. They benched him and everything. Not to say he wont have one or more slumps next year, but he had the most intense rookie experience possible (or close to) the year before last. In many ways his struggles last season were texbook sophmore adjustment IMO.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:06 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Can't see it happening with PK. I don't necessarily expect a huge point production season but I expect he has a steady one, the guy is too good to slide backwards imo.

11Goat11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 356
He could go through one. However, knowing P.K., even if he's not getting the points up, he will still use his body and fight in the corners like he does all the time so it would definitely go unnoticed.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

I could see him having some defensive slumps but I don't think he'll struggle at all offensively.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Too much of a character guy to have a slump. He's not a ***** here. He knows he has the whole city behind him. Mike Richards and Lecavalier will have even more difficulty playing against him next year.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Jakomyte

I could be wrong, but I just don't get the sense that he will. I have no doubt he (and every other player) will have some rough patches at times next year, but a Sophomore Slump suggests and overall underwhelming season and he just doesn't strike me as the type of person that will allow that to happen. Too much swag.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:24 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

slumps are for mortals

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I was actually talking to a friend about this. I think he will have a disappointing season. Good start and then off the rails.
I think opposite. Slow first half, killer second.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:27 PM
tollb2

with a healthy D line to start this year i just cant see him slumping .. kid has alot of drive and heart

tollb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:32 PM
LyleOdelein

While it's possible, I just can't see Subban putting up lower numbers than last year with Markov beside him on the PP. I fully expect to see Subban continue to improve defensively, specifically on the little things as he matures and continues to learn on the job.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
His goal production could be hindered by not re-signing Wisniewski.

Teams overplaying the Wiz really opened up space for PK's shot. That being said, he could potentially have Markov feeding him the puck on the PP now. Historically Markov's needed a left handed shot on the receiving end for it to be really effective, but he's also never played with a d-man with as much raw talent as Subban.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:07 PM
katatoniak

I dont think so

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:14 PM
MathMan

I suspect a lot of "sophomore slumps" are due to rookie players being given more responsibility in their second years and naturally not doing as well with tougher assignments, even if they're not playing any worse per se.

In Subban's case, however, he can't get much tougher assignments than what he was getting at the end of the year.

Another leading cause of "sophomore slumps" is really good small samples during the rookie season, but Subban played plenty of minutes.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Fenza
G-Rouxnit

I doubt it, he's played enough and knows how things work.

Fenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:46 PM
TheBuriedHab

Maybe. His sheer physical tools make it hard for him to slump really, add that with his edge and energy. I mean he had about maybe at the most, 10 bad games this year in his rookie season. This kid is a stud, I can't really see it happening.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Stradale

Play him with Markov and I'm pretty sure he won't.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:54 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Tyler Myers, who i thought was for sure the type to avoid one had one. I wouldn't be surprised. hopefully not though, I think the Boston cup win has lit an extra fire under everyones arse...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:03 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Tyler Myers, who i thought was for sure the type to avoid one had one. I wouldn't be surprised. hopefully not though, I think the Boston cup win has lit an extra fire under everyones arse...
Myers still ended up turning his season around to a certain degree though, he also lost his veteran defense partner to free agency and it clearly had an impact on him. Another reason why retaining Gill is a good depth move by the Habs, regardless of what his detractors might have to say he and Subban make a formidable pairing on the ice. Not saying they should play together, but atleast it's a card in our deck.

I, like many others around here think his "sophomore slump" actually occured in November/December of 2010. He had the best playoff performance from a rookie defenseman in a long time, and he had a quick start at the beginning of the year tallying 11 points in 22 games, not to mention like a +7 rating or something like that. He was on top of the world and EVERYONE was talking about him, then he hit his major slump and ended up riding the pine.

Not to repeat anyone in the thread, but usually sophmore slumps are related to increased responsibility (PK can't possibly take more, he was already our #1 in the second half), players learning your tendencies (which may indeed happen, but Subban is uber-talented and creative, he will easily adapt), and the other problem is complacency. I think that may have been the problem with him last season during his bad stretch, the bright lights we're on him and he got the image that he had made it.

He's been through the rough patch with the help of his team mates and coaching staff, he's responded in spades. We already know he is training hard this summer, various sightings in the gyms and his constant twitter updates to back that up. He isn't going into next season complacent.

I fully expect him to have "slumps", 5-6-7 games, just like any other player in the NHL has throughout the 82 game grind. As for an underwhelming season as a whole? I wouldn't bank on it.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:44 PM
costathing

Hell no ...I mean were talking about pk.subban dude will be so pump up for next season with pacio and all the young core. #SWAG

costathing is offline   Reply With Quote