HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Flyers & Columbus' 8th Overall pick

Old
06-21-2011, 12:19 PM
CharlieGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Yes to Landeskog

You guys are killing me here.

By the way, that fight at the 1:00 mark was in about his 3rd game in the OHL. He was 16, taking on a very tough Muzzin (who was 19/20 that year) after a cheapshot to his teammate. I was excited to see him play, but that sealed the deal for me.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:20 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
Voracek, Moore and Landeskog...sign me the F up!

Maybe if Columbus really likes us, they can send us the rights to Upshall...or just sign him July 1, dude loved it here. Would be a great fit on the Kitchener line

James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($2.500m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Ville Leino ($3.250m)
Scottie Upshall ($3.000m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Gabriel Landeskog ($2.000m)
Darroll Powe ($0.850m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Andreas Nodl ($0.975m)
Tom Sestito ($0.577m)

Chris Pronger ($4.921m) / John Moore ($0.965m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Braydon Coburn ($3.200m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)
Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m)

Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.500m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,876,428; BONUSES: $1,825,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $123,572

Annnd I just creamed myself
Seems like a pipe dream but if it happened this would be everybody's theme song

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:20 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Carter + Versteeg + Carle + Carcillo + Shelley <-> Nash + Voracek

I do in a heartbeat

I will do without Voracek, I could add Bobrovsky too...

JVR-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Briere-Leino (if he wants to win the cup)
NASH-RICHARDS-Nödl

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:24 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
Carter + Versteeg + Carle + Carcillo + Shelley <-> Nash + Voracek

I do in a heartbeat

I will do without Voracek, I could add Bobrovsky too...

JVR-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Briere-Leino (if he wants to win the cup)
NASH-RICHARDS-Nödl
Well that's definitely not gonna happen.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Sklodo

Quote:
Voracek, Moore and Landeskog...sign me the F up!

Maybe if Columbus really likes us, they can send us the rights to Upshall...or just sign him July 1, dude loved it here. Would be a great fit on the Kitchener line

James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($2.500m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Ville Leino ($3.250m)
Scottie Upshall ($3.000m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Gabriel Landeskog ($2.000m)
Darroll Powe ($0.850m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Andreas Nodl ($0.975m)
Tom Sestito ($0.577m)

Chris Pronger ($4.921m) / John Moore ($0.965m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Braydon Coburn ($3.200m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)
Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m)

Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.500m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,876,428; BONUSES: $1,825,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $123,572

Annnd I just creamed myself
I'd rather spend the money on Erik Cole or have a little more cap room. Upshall isn't worth $3 million if hes only putting up 30-35 points in a season.

Sklodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:32 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklodo View Post
I'd rather spend the money on Erik Cole or have a little more cap room. Upshall isn't worth $3 million if hes only putting up 30-35 points in a season.
I agree what's with this Upshall fascination. He's ok and all but not worth the cash..a second round of overpayment for him is not to my liking...

Old
06-21-2011, 12:43 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Yep, knew someone would come in and call out the Upshall fascination...it always happens whenever someone mentions the dude's name on these boards, but whatever. He may not be worth 3 mil, but you can't say that he wouldn't be a perfect fit on that line. I'd rather have him than Versteeg

Old
06-21-2011, 12:44 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

There's nothing soft about Landeskog's game

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

By the way, that fight at the 1:00 mark was in about his 3rd game in the OHL. He was 16, taking on a very tough Muzzin (who was 19/20 that year) after a cheapshot to his teammate. I was excited to see him play, but that sealed the deal for me.
I will slay you more now...

Quote:
Gabriel Landeskog of the Ontario Hockey League's Kitchener Rangers isn't your typical swift-skating Swede. He comes with a lunch pail, packs plenty of power and knows the English language as well, if not better, than most Europeans playing professionally today.

"I studied English since third grade and my ambition was to always play in North America, so I guess I always paid extra attention in class and watched movies and listened to music in English," Landeskog told NHL.com.

Off the ice, the 6-foot, 207-pound left wing, a native of Stockholm, oozes confidence -- his blonde hair and stern grin provide a glimpse of what could be a very marketable asset, too.

On the ice, he backs it up with feistiness reminiscent of two of the game's grittiest Swedes -- Detroit Red Wings forwards Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen. He also admired the way one of the country's most decorated players -- Peter Forsberg -- went about his business on the ice. Heck, he's even gone on record as saying he doesn't want to be considered a "soft European player."

"I think it all started when we were allowed to hit (in Sweden) at age 13," Landeskog said. "My dad used to play, and he was a big, physical defenseman and he gave me advice. He said, 'It's not bad to play physical, and it's an asset to your game.' I started young and came along with it and have been using (that physical approach) to my advantage now."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=542705
oh and this

Quote:
"I try and pattern my game like Jarome Iginla (of Calgary) and Mike Richards (of Philadelphia)," Landeskog told NHL.com. "They're kind of my role models. I look a lot like how they play, and I want to be a leader like they are for their teams."

Old
06-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
I wish I'd seen Niedermayer play in junior. That's who Murphy reminds me of most recently, and I've heard Nieds needed to work on the defensive side of the game when he was drafted. Murphy uses his smarts and speed to angle opposing forwards out of the play, but will never be the guy to blow someone up in front of the net. He has added a wicked hipcheck to his repertoire though, along with his world class speed and elusiveness.

I'm a big fan. I just don't know that he's the right fit for the Flyers at this point in time.
I saw Niedermayer at age 16 at the Mem Cup in Hamilton. I've never seen anyone skate that fast. He would outlet from right corner up to moving LW at the blueline, and catch the guy by centre ice to join the rush. If Murphy can skate like that, he'd be worth having - but not worth trading Carter for...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

Anyone who has followed my posts knows how I feel about Gab. Without a doubt in my mind this is the one kid I want to see in orange and black. I may get flamed for this. But I would trade anyone on our team right now except "G" if I was guaranteed to get him in some sort of package coming back to us. That top shelf backhander was sweet! I believe he will be a better bigger version than Mike Richards. And will be able to step in play right away at the next level

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:17 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Yep, knew someone would come in and call out the Upshall fascination...it always happens whenever someone mentions the dude's name on these boards, but whatever. He may not be worth 3 mil, but you can't say that he wouldn't be a perfect fit on that line. I'd rather have him than Versteeg
I like Upshall, but he doesn't do anything Versteeg doesn't.

Much like Carcillo, who has been hated ever since we traded Upshall for him, Versteeg doesn't seem like he'll ever be appreciated due to what he was traded for. Give Versteeg a full year and then we can make some judgments that are valid, I think.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:22 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Anyone who has followed my posts knows how I feel about Gab. Without a doubt in my mind this is the one kid I want to see in orange and black. I may get flamed for this. But I would trade anyone on our team right now except "G" if I was guaranteed to get him in some sort of package coming back to us. That top shelf backhander was sweet! I believe he will be a better bigger version than Mike Richards. And will be able to step in play right away at the next level
He def is an orange and black player....I have a feeling Flyers brass is eyeing him hard. Would be much better than that Pitkanen deal that is for sure although Pitkanen has turned into a solid D man who logs a lot of minutes. We didn't get much for him in the long run...except trading Lupul for Pronger and jury is still out how much mileage we get out of Prongs. Smith was a decent stopgap until his brutal playoffs due to his injuries mostly...

Old
06-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Sklodo

Quote:
In Upshall's best season, last season, he barely scored 20 goals between Phoenix and Columbus. Versteeg has had 3 straight 20+ goal seasons.

Versteeg has topped out at 45-55 points in his 3 complete seasons. Upshall, as I noted earlier, hasn't scored more than 35 in a season.

From a production standpoint, and in my opinion, I'd take Versteeg in the lineup over Upshall.

Had Upshall been given more of a chance to succeed rather than being buried on the 3rd line during his time here I think he could have been a successful second line scorer. But when you play behind Hartnell-Carter-Lupul and Gagne-Richards-Knuble, you aren't going to get much playing time.

Last edited by Sklodo: 06-21-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Sklodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:26 PM
dookie88

Quote:
So the Flyers end up with Voracek, Moore, and Landeskog/Larsson.

I would cry. And pack Carter's bags for him.

Pretty sure Homer isn't bright enough to do that, but it sure sounds nice.
Dito.
I don't want to trade Carter but if we somehow end up with this return you have to take it, no matter what.

I also think that's a move that Homer would ever be able to orchestrate (sp?), if Brian Burke would be our GM, who knows...

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Would you add Upshall's rights for Versteeg to the Carter to CBJ mess?

Old
06-21-2011, 01:42 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklodo View Post
In Upshall's best season, last season, he barely scored 20 goals between Phoenix and Columbus. Versteeg has had 3 straight 20+ goal seasons.

Versteeg has topped out at 45-55 points in his 3 complete seasons. Upshall, as I noted earlier, hasn't scored more than 35 in a season.

From a production standpoint, and in my opinion, I'd take Versteeg in the lineup over Upshall.

Had Upshall been given more of a chance to succeed rather than being buried on the 3rd line during his time here I think he could have been a successful second line scorer. But when you play behind Hartnell-Carter-Lupul and Gagne-Richards-Knuble, you aren't going to get much playing time.
You aren't accounting for the fact that Versteeg is a puss, and spells his name with a K. Atleast Upshall knows how to throw a hit and has good speed, I'd just rather have him on a shutdown line with Richards...especially if you add Gabe to that line.

You are absolutely correct about their point production over the years though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Would you add Upshall's rights for Versteeg to the Carter to CBJ mess?
No, a signed Versteeg is worth a whole lot more than a soon to be UFA Upshall, who would probably like to sign with the Flyers anyway.

Old
06-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Wow,

Carter for Vora + moore + 8th

8th + steeger/carle for 2nd. Landeskog drafted.

If that happened, i may just shart my pants with glee. I would personally buy Carter all the booze he needs and drive him to columbus myself.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:52 PM
tuckrr

landeskog + akeson???

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:59 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
landeskog + akeson???
They wouldn't be sharing a house, unless it was a huge house that stretches from Philly to Glens Falls.

Old
06-21-2011, 02:06 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I will slay you more now...oh and this
I am the last person on earth you need to sell on Landeskog. My biggest wish is that he ends up with a team that won't ruin him and that I don't hate.

Old
06-21-2011, 02:06 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Can we just send Carle and Hartnell to CLB for something with the 8th?
I know Harts has a NMC/NTC whatever it is - I can never keep track.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:10 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
I am the last person on earth you need to sell on Landeskog. My biggest wish is that he ends up with a team that won't ruin him and that I don't hate.
Well, if he ends up on our team, you better hope he doesn't spend anytime on our disaster of a farm team

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Terence Peterman

I'd love Landeskog...like, a lot. But, hypothetically, how do we not take Larsson in that scenario?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I'd love Landeskog...like, a lot. But, hypothetically, how do we not take Larsson in that scenario?
Because the Avs take him.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:14 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Maybe their scenarios have him picked 1st or 2nd or are the 1 and 2 picks a given? I thought Nugent wasn't clearcut as #1? Could be backchannel negotiations etc etc but I hear ya..thought the same but if the Flyers traded Richards for some odd reason...I would think they would like Landeskog....??