HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2011, 02:16 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
*If* we're assuming Richards really wants to go back to Tampa, I wouldn't be surprised to see him accept basically whatever the max they can offer without really hurting themselves, even if that's only in the $6something range.

Anywhere else? Dude's going to get paid with the cap this high.

Old
06-21-2011, 02:22 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
*If* we're assuming Richards really wants to go back to Tampa, I wouldn't be surprised to see him accept basically whatever the max they can offer without really hurting themselves, even if that's only in the $6something range.

Anywhere else? Dude's going to get paid with the cap this high.
If Tampa let's 2 of Gagne, Brewer, Malone or Roloson go they could sign Richards. But don't they kind of have two top Cs w/Lecavalier and Stamkos to throw $ at Richards?

Richards to Tampa, Jagr to Pens, gross.

Old
06-21-2011, 02:23 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
I think that the problem with us is grit, speed, and the lack of depth.
The Caps have plenty of depth. Pity they can't put 8 defensemen and 3 goalies on the ice.

A hockey team needs to play to its strength. The problem here is that the Caps don't really know what their strength is (do they really have one?). I would very much like for the Caps to be built and coached with one identity in mind. Knowing who you are and what you're supposed to do goes a long way (see Nashville).

Old
06-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Varlamov rejected the Capitals offer, it wasn't enough money. He's as good as gone.
So it was a take it or leave it offer?

Old
06-21-2011, 02:34 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
There are no Top Tweets for Varlamov rejected the Capitals offer

Old
06-21-2011, 02:35 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
If Tampa let's 2 of Gagne, Brewer, Malone or Roloson go they could sign Richards. But don't they kind of have two top Cs w/Lecavalier and Stamkos to throw $ at Richards?

Richards to Tampa, Jagr to Pens, gross.
Center depth...

If they're smart they keep Brewer. Dude was a tank for them.

Old
06-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Raikkonen
We like our tank

Phoenix and the goalie

Reading about Phoenix got me thinking that Neuvirth should be the most appealing goalie for them.

1. Cheap.
2. Signed through next 2 seasons.
3. Young, relatively experienced, almost proven NHL goaltender.
4. Should be OK with PHO's good overall defensive game.
5. Workhorse.

Michal should be good for them for the whole period of uncertainty they face. Not that easy to sign a good goalie in their position.

Maybe Maloney will give McPhee a good offer?

PS: What? Varly rejected? OMG. The sky is falling.

Old
06-21-2011, 02:43 PM
dashtary*

Not the article that I read but I'll go find the other one.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/fantasy/hock...ockey_hearsay/

Old
06-21-2011, 03:04 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
Reading about Phoenix got me thinking that Neuvirth should be the most appealing goalie for them.

1. Cheap.
5. Workhorse.

Michal should be good for them for the whole period of uncertainty they face. Not that easy to sign a good goalie in their position.

You're just trying to inflate the "changes" percentage for the apologists of next years failure.

Old
06-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post

1. Cheap.
5. Workhorse.

Nuevy is durable and calm under pressure. He also has the type of personality that allows him to rebound from shaky performances. Varly isn't exactly shaky but I don't think he's a poised as Nuevy (which is by no means an insult) and unfortunately he can't stay healthy. I'm actually kind of excited that he might be tradable.

Part of me thinks that if we win the cup it will be with Holtby in net but I'm to intrigued by Nuevy to let him go.

Old
06-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Atlas

Neuvy isn't that good. He's better than average and a good guy. Typical Cap. Kinda boring and likely just a good "tune up" for the good teams who go on to win championships.

Old
06-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Atlas

I hate to point to the specter but the damned thing is standing right in front of us. The specter is mediocre management which must eventually lead to our best players eventually moving on. Ted, George McPhee, and Bruce have been playing games with Varly and he's been biding his time. Varly knows how good he is. He came to America to win the Stanley Cup, not to get jerked around by a bunch of know-nothing-win-nothings who happen to be "in the game."

I'm a true and deep Caps fan and even I am starting to really think it'd be best for some of these kids' careers to get the Hell away from Washington. Believe me, I hate it but all these kids are doing is getting a paycheck. They ain't gonna win the Cup with the management the Caps have now.

There I said it.

Old
06-21-2011, 03:42 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Neuvy isn't that good. He's better than average and a good guy. Typical Cap. Kinda boring and likely just a good "tune up" for the good teams who go on to win championships.
Neuvy was fantastic in the playoffs. You're way off base. It's not uncommon for a 1st-year goalie to have consistency issues his first year. It's more of the rule. He was Rookie of the Month early on but struggled when the Caps began to struggle. Otherwise, you'd have nothing to your argument at all.

Old
06-21-2011, 03:56 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Neuvy was fantastic in the playoffs. You're way off base. It's not uncommon for a 1st-year goalie to have consistency issues his first year. It's more of the rule. He was Rookie of the Month early on but struggled when the Caps began to struggle. Otherwise, you'd have nothing to your argument at all.
Agreed, Neuvy is a keeper, and so is Holtby. Let Varley head back to Mother Russia. The guy is not durable at all.

Old
06-21-2011, 03:56 PM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
I really don't get people's obsession with Michal Handzus. I honestly think he's even slower than Arnott, with less offensive capabilities. He is good on the dot, but defensively his speed limited him. If the team wanted a 2nd line pivot, they need to trade for one.

As a 3rd line center I'm a proponent of Marty Reasoner. Hard-worker, solid faceoff guy, solid pker/defensively, and will chip in offensively.

I'm not really enamored with him, I just think they will try to sign him. GMGM has to know the team needs another center, and Arnott is going to be 37. Ideally it would be a guy who can hold down the 2C for a year or so until MoJo is ready, unless management thinks MoJo is better suited as a 3C (and most reports I've looked at indicate that think he is the LT solution at 2C). Also, I think they brought in Sjorgren to be a depth winger on the 4th and maybe 3rd line if he does very well, rather than to hold down one of the C positions. If they're going to force MoJo into the 2C spot this year and look to sign a 3C, then there are a lot more options.

But I think the best course of action is to get a 2C for the next year or two. This is easier said than done, and Handzus and MoJo could split time on the 2nd and 3rd line. They're really aren't any 1b or true 2C's out there (except for that Richards guy, still more of a 1a and some team is going to pay him as such, and maybe Connolly, who is always injured). The only way we could possibly justify giving the money Richards will command (and I'm still not saying giving him a huge contract would be a good idea) is probably trading Semin. That's a whole different debate, but if it does happen: who is he going to pass to? Richards is an awesome player, but he's primarily a playmaker. We ideally want a playmaking center who can set up Semin, not replace him. If, however, this did go down, I would suggest Ryder as a 2W replacement. He may not replace Semin's numbers, but he could do some damage with Richards as his center. Anyways, this isn't happening. Unless Richards signs at a discount with Tampa, I think he'll get a mindboggling contract given the weak FA class and the high cap. Sorry for the rambling tangent.

That leaves a trade. Given past history, I would say it's much more likely that GMGM looks for a 2C in a trade around the deadline than over the summer if someone like Handzus or Connolly is not signed.

Last edited by DCRedhawk21: 06-21-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old
06-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Atlas

Quote:

I don't see it but I hope you're right. I'm not knocking him he's good. I just don't see the ability for him to steal playoff games against good teams. He's a lot more Chris Osgood than Hasek.

Old
06-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Atlas

We do want to win, right? Or is the basis of this conversation the hope to acquire more Nice Guys?

Old
06-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Quote:
He was ok. Good in the Rangers series, albeit he let some softies in. Very average in the Tampa series, he lacked the quickness post to post, and really looked rattled at times. He's far from the reason we lost, but can't say he was 'fantastic'.

Old
06-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Atlas

Varly has looked far better to me in the playoffs than Neuvy *and* Varly was tendin' behind a worse defense. I like Neuvy, but to carelessly trade a talent like Varly as some here suggest would be an epic mistake.

Old
06-21-2011, 04:34 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
I agree. He lacks the potential to "steal" games and you need that in the playoffs.

Old
06-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Vabeachblue

Keep Varly around, he is better than neuvy and yes he can steal a game. Didn't Kolzig have some injury problems early in his career?

Old
06-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Agreed, Neuvy is a keeper, and so is Holtby. Let Varley head back to Mother Russia. The guy is not durable at all.
Actually his durability is exactly why he can't head back to Russia. If a team was so quick to cut Nabakov for poor play what chance would Varly have with injuries, and possibly poor play due to injuries? I know Semin isn't exactly durable but he's still durable enough to last 56 games in the KHL, and he hasn't come out with nearly as strong a statement as Varly just did.

Semin: Eh I like it hear. I like my teammates, the coaches are nice, I have no idea what the media is saying half the time. George can I get another one year deal?

Varly: I WANT TO WIN EVERY TROPHY POSSIBLE.

paraphrasing of course.

Varly on the other hand is better off in America with a guranteed contract and time to heal when he gets injured. As opposed to Russia where he'll have to worry about coming back before he's ready to avoid getting cut. It's a vicious cycle.

This declaration to win the triple crown of goalies is more then enough to show his commitment to playing in the NHL. So I would now feel safe to say that he's a realistic tradeable asset.

Old
06-21-2011, 05:16 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
I agree. He lacks the potential to "steal" games and you need that in the playoffs.
Neuvirth stole plenty of games early last season.

When a team is swept, it's not on the goaltender. His team was outworked, coached and played.

Hell, Neuvy was considered the Round 1 MVP by a lot of NHL analysts.

Old
06-21-2011, 05:19 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Varly has looked far better to me in the playoffs than Neuvy *and* Varly was tendin' behind a worse defense. I like Neuvy, but to carelessly trade a talent like Varly as some here suggest would be an epic mistake.
Did you happen to watch game 7 against the Pens? I'm guessing no....

Varly can't be the best if he can't stay healthy. The end.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
Old
06-21-2011, 05:20 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Varlamov let in some abysmal goals against the Penguins and didn't exactly carry the team past Montreal, did he?

I like his attitude, but Neuvirth was incredibly confident (and better) his 1st go around in the playoffs.

Closed Thread