HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

bad news for Hurricanes maybe good news for habs? (per Mathias Brunet)

Old
06-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_ab View Post
http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lnh/20...es-hurricanes/

I just read this article. What do you guys think of those four guys (Jussi Jokinen, Erik Cole, Pitkanen and Chad Larose)?

I could see a Jokinen or Larose playing on our third line if they are avaible july first.

I specialy think that larose could be good for us. Good depth player.

So what do you guy think?
Jokinen = No
Cole= maybe, but injury prone
Pitkanen = NO
Larose = love the guy, but enough of small players.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:26 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Markov-Subban
Pitkanen-Yemelin
Gill-Gorges
Weber.
looks pretty good too
markov yemelin
gill subban
pitkanen gorges
weber

is also amazing...

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:30 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
i totally agree, except that if he signs here, he would not be an elite number 2 defenseman, he would possibly be the best number 3 defenseman in the league...

1- markov
2- subban
3- pitkanen
4- gorges
5- gill
6- spacek (hopefully traded away)
7- yemelin
8- weber
9- diaz (hamilton)
Exactly. It's a strong reason why it's important we look at guys like Pitkaken, Ehrhoff, Bieksa, even keeping Wisniewski. Heck I'd be interested in Kaberle if the price was right (he'd fit our style much better then in Boston).

All those guys would be solid #2's(#3 worst case) on most teams, but would make excellent #3s on the Habs.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If Markov White Weber and Gorges sign for a combined 9-9.5 mil it leaves about 9 mil to add 2 players as UFA. Right now we have 20 mil left with 15 players signed...with those 4 that's 19 players and about 54 mil.
I'm more concerned about next offseason's cap situation.

If we can get him on a 1-year deal, it's alright. But 2 years at a 4M$ cap hit is gonna be hard on us next summer.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The biggest reason is he is 39.
sure but after July 1st a team will take a chance on him.

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:40 PM
JuJu Mobb

Pitkanen is overrated.

JuJu Mobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:44 PM
cap10bfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Exactly. It's a strong reason why it's important we look at guys like Pitkaken, Ehrhoff, Bieksa, even keeping Wisniewski. Heck I'd be interested in Kaberle if the price was right (he'd fit our style much better then in Boston).

All those guys would be solid #2's(#3 worst case) on most teams, but would make excellent #3s on the Habs.
pitkanen would be hamrlik v.2 if you ask me, maybe a little more offensive but as much as i love wiz, i think pitkanen (or bieksa) would fit what the habs need more

pitkanen is 6-3 210 and i know he isnt the biggest hitter but would bring some much needed size on defense, and plus, he has experience on being a number 1 guy so if markov would get hurt again, i would feel very confortable with pk as our number 1 and pitkanen as our number 2...

finally, pitkanen would be great for our 2nd pp squad behind pk and markov, with wiz, who would we take out of the 1st unit on the point?

the more i think about it and write down stuff, the more i think pitkanen should be a priority for the habs, along with a top 6 forward of course...

Old
06-21-2011, 04:50 PM
7th Player

FYI Pitkanen can log a ton of minutes.
Without checking I think he averaged over 25 mins per game last season.

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:53 PM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Player View Post
FYI Pitkanen can log a ton of minutes.
Without checking I think he averaged over 25 mins per game last season.
Almost. 24:55 last season and 27:23 the previous season ().

Still has his good years ahead of him, being 27 years of age. I would definitely love having him here. Having a top 3 of Markov - Subban - Pitkanen would be amazing.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:59 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post

Still has his good years ahead of him, being 27 years of age. I would definitely love having him here. Having a top 3 of Markov - Subban - Pitkanen would be amazing.
Agree on all counts, the guy can log massive minutes.

In the playoffs it would be a lot like Anaheim in 07 with their big 3 each getting 29-30 minutes per game and the rest being split up amongst the bottom pairing guys. I'm also comfortable with Gorges playing 25 minutes in a post-season situation, he just lays it all on the line.

Having big game defenseman who can log that many minutes and be effective is so under rated it's unbelievable, it's crucial to winning games especially in the post season. It's one of the reasons Vancouver faltered, their defense corps, for all it's depth, didn't have ONE guy at the level of Subban or Markov.

Old
06-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
If I were habs I'd forget about Wiz and do everything I could to get Pitkanen. That guy is a stud.
A ray of intelligence for a change. Pitkanen >> Wisniewski.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

And if all fails, re-sign Hamrlik for 1 season, at the least.

Cuz we need that spot taken care of.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:03 PM
7th Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post

He wouldn't need to log these kind of minutes in a d-squad with the likes of Subban, Markov and Gorges.

Interesting option for sure, except his agent knows Pitkanen is a rare commodity on the free market. His value would be close to 6M$ per, on a long term contract.

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Agree on all counts, the guy can log massive minutes.

In the playoffs it would be a lot like Anaheim in 07 with their big 3 each getting 29-30 minutes per game and the rest being split up amongst the bottom pairing guys. I'm also comfortable with Gorges playing 25 minutes in a post-season situation, he just lays it all on the line.

Having big game defenseman who can log that many minutes and be effective is so under rated it's unbelievable, it's crucial to winning games especially in the post season. It's one of the reasons Vancouver faltered, their defense corps, for all it's depth, didn't have ONE guy at the level of Subban or Markov.
Edler is getting pretty close. Agree completely with the rest.

Old
06-21-2011, 05:06 PM
cap10bfl

a 6 year deal worth 30m sounds reasonable....

he would be a hab untill he turns 33-34 which is in the prime of his career...

all of this could only happen with the departure of spacek sadly...

Old
06-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Player View Post
He wouldn't need to log these kind of minutes in a d-squad with the likes of Subban, Markov and Gorges.

Interesting option for sure, except his agent knows Pitkanen is a rare commodity on the free market. His value would be close to 6M$ per, on a long term contract.
6 mil would be an overpayment on the market, no matter if the cap went up. GMs will question Pitkanen's recent past and history of inconsistency. Other guys who are available have a much more decent track record. Pitkanen is that odd man out of that group, I don't see him get more than 5 mil, which is already much for him.

Old
06-21-2011, 05:08 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Edler is getting pretty close. Agree completely with the rest.
That's right, Edler is close to that. He was also playing injured so that's one of the reasons he wasn't playing as big as he can. I meant no disrespect to Edler, he's a good top-pairing guy.

Old
06-21-2011, 05:09 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
A ray of intelligence for a change. Pitkanen >> Wisniewski.
I'll take the Wiz.i'm all set with anymore soft Euro cup cakes on this team,especially come playoff time.

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:13 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
6 mil would be an overpayment on the market, no matter if the cap went up. GMs will question Pitkanen's recent past and history of inconsistency. Other guys who are available have a much more decent track record. Pitkanen is that odd man out of that group, I don't see him get more than 5 mil, which is already much for him.
5-5.25M for 4-5 years would be a ok deal, IMO. He'll have a lot of suiters under 5M, that I am certain.

There is other guys out there too of interest... Personaly I see Ehrhoff going above 5.5M if he signs outside of Vancouver, Wiz getting in the region of 5M outside of MTL (I think we can sign him right now today for 4.5-4.75), Bieska will likely be in the same ball park as Wiz thanks to his payoff run, Kaberle IMO is the one that will come cheap. I think he'll be available for a 4-5yr term at well under 4M, probably likely mirror of Spacek's cap hit, I'm not saying that's my first target, he isn't, but I think he'll be the most affordable.

Old
06-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
I'll take the Wiz.i'm all set with anymore soft Euro cup cakes on this team,especially come playoff time.
You need to change your mentality.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:15 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Agreed, Wiz was such a physical presence and also brought an amazing offense from the back end in the PO...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
5-5.25M for 4-5 years would be a ok deal, IMO. He'll have a lot of suiters under 5M, that I am certain.

There is other guys out there too of interest... Personaly I see Ehrhoff going above 5.5M if he signs outside of Vancouver, Wiz getting in the region of 5M outside of MTL (I think we can sign him right now today for 4.5-4.75), Bieska will likely be in the same ball park as Wiz thanks to his payoff run, Kaberle IMO is the one that will come cheap. I think he'll be available for a 4-5yr term at well under 4M, probably likely mirror of Spacek's cap hit, I'm not saying that's my first target, he isn't, but I think he'll be the most affordable.
Oh, I was thinking the same, I just wasn't mentally including him in the group, he's a clear notch under them all IMO.

Old
06-21-2011, 05:17 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
You need to change your mentality.
Fly away dove,I want to win a cup,not be the Flyers and B's *****es...again.Detroit is still the only heavily based team of Euros to win a cup. learn the game.It's all about the playoffs

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:21 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Oh, I was thinking the same, I just wasn't mentally including him in the group, he's a clear notch under them all IMO.
My preferences in order are:

1.Pitkanen
2.Ehrhoff
3.Bieksa
4.Wisniewski
5.Kaberle

I just think we need to target a LD more than a RD, that's ultimately my reasoning behind it. Subban-Gorges-Weber are natural RDs for us (Gorges I consider a natural despite being left-handed, he plays flawlessly there) and we still have Spacek who CAN play there and Yemelin who by all reports can also play both sides. The left side looks like Markov-Gill-Spacek-Gorges, Gorges IMO fills out the right side very well and Gill and Spacek both belong on the 3rd pairing LD slot. My reasoning for Bieksa over Wisniewski is just that he's slightly bigger and slightly tougher. Kaberle could jump as high as #3 in my rankings, all depending on salary being commanded.

Old
06-21-2011, 05:23 PM
pine*

Quote:
My preferences in order are:

1.Pitkanen
2.Ehrhoff
3.Bieksa
4.Wisniewski
5.Kaberle

I just think we need to target a LD more than a RD, that's ultimately my reasoning behind it. Subban-Gorges-Weber are natural RDs for us (Gorges I consider a natural despite being left-handed, he plays flawlessly there) and we still have Spacek who CAN play there and Yemelin who by all reports can also play both sides. The left side looks like Markov-Gill-Spacek-Gorges, Gorges IMO fills out the right side very well and Gill and Spacek both belong on the 3rd pairing LD slot. My reasoning for Bieksa over Wisniewski is just that he's slightly bigger and slightly tougher. Kaberle could jump as high as #3 in my rankings, all depending on salary being commanded.
Agreed with all points. Gauthier HAS to get a defenseman from that list, especially with the cap space available, if we aspire to be contenders.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote