HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov and Weber that much closer.

Old
06-21-2011, 03:19 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I'd prefer Ehrhoff

I have this image of Pitkanen in my head that has never went away, maybe he's changed, as his stats show, but he's been way too inconsistent in his career IMO. Ehrhoff fits our speed model like a glove, and he's as good if not better defensively as Hamrlik was, just not the same style.
I find Ehrhoff to be slightly over rated defensively, he's average in that regard IMO. He's better than the Wiz, but I don't know about Hamrlik (certainly not better than Hamrlik in 07 when we signed him, that's certain).

I was high on Ehrhoff until the round against the Bruins, apparently he was playing injured so I can give him the benefit of the doubt, because he really folded like a cheap tent.. Time will tell..

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:40 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
But that's not the probability if you consider what Wiz DID SAY. He said that he wants to stay here, but he feared PG's decision would hinge on Markov staying here or not. That's paraphrased directly from a quote of him in the JDM. Now, if PG wants him back, and Wiz said he wants back, the highest probability would be that he would sign here, because in those cases, it is the usual outcome. You might give examples of Komi (although Wiz didn't receive Komi's treatment in Montreal, which makes it a very different story regarding the player's state of mind vs the organization when he hit FA), examples of Souray (totally different personality).

Wiz seems to fall more in the Plex, Markov, Koivu category of players. A hard worker who really appreciated his time here. He seems genuine, and it pained me when he said that about Markov vs him, because I knew then that chances are that he would be gone, and the probability of this hinges on PG's decision.

So it's not an assumption, but quite probably the most probable scenario based on the actual facts (Wiz interview).
almost every player will say they want to stay with their actual team, inclkuding those who sign elsewhere...

and in MTL, they ALL wants to stay here...

so yeah...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:49 PM
mabus

As good as Markov is, I'd actually prefer to not sign him this time around. He has not really played in a year or so, and we've gotten along very well without him. He's very injury prone, and thats a lot of money to tie up on an injured player. Since his injury problems we've really shored up the defense, we really don't need him.

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:55 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus View Post
As good as Markov is, I'd actually prefer to not sign him this time around. He has not really played in a year or so, and we've gotten along very well without him. He's very injury prone, and thats a lot of money to tie up on an injured player. Since his injury problems we've really shored up the defense, we really don't need him.
We need him if we intend on contending.

We have one sure-fire Top 4 defenseman in Subban, a fringe Top-4 guy in Gorges, a 25-yr old from the KHL who is going to be in transition... Some say he's a potential Top 4 guy, but there is question marks. The rest are Bottom pairing guys at this point.

If we don't bring back Markov, we certainly have to target one of the big fish UFA's, and that will likely cost us the same or more as re-signing Markov while getting potentially less results. Markov would hardly be the first player to rebound from a long bout of injuries and have success, his key attribute is his vision. He will always see the game on the ice at a higher level than 90% of the players in the league.

Old
06-21-2011, 03:56 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus View Post
huh... we have old timers like Spacek/Gill... and Subban under contract...

guys like Yemelin and Diaz have yet to play a single NHL game...

you'd be comfortable with Gill on the first pair for -> 82 games ?

Old
06-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I find Ehrhoff to be slightly over rated defensively, he's average in that regard IMO. He's better than the Wiz, but I don't know about Hamrlik (certainly not better than Hamrlik in 07 when we signed him, that's certain).

I was high on Ehrhoff until the round against the Bruins, apparently he was playing injured so I can give him the benefit of the doubt, because he really folded like a cheap tent.. Time will tell..
Thing is, Hamr was at the end of his peak (27-33) when we signed him. Ehrhoff is starting his peak age (28 years old), and Hamrlik at 28 was less reliable than Ehrhoff is at the same age now.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:04 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Thing is, Hamr was at the end of his peak (27-33) when we signed him. Ehrhoff is starting his peak age (28 years old), and Hamrlik at 28 was less reliable than Ehrhoff is at the same age now.
You really think so?

Hamrlik was all offense in his young years but post-lockout the guy turned into a pretty darn good shut-down defenseman and mentor to younger guys. Maybe Ehrhoff can continue to develop his defensive game but I'm not overly impressed with it. I mean he's good, he's top 4 good, I don't find he's on the same level Hamrlik has been with us.

I'd approve the signing in almost all scenerio's (unless we overpay tremendously), I just don't find his defensive game to be all that and a bag of potatoe chips, that's all.

Old
06-21-2011, 04:15 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
huh... we have old timers like Spacek/Gill... and Subban under contract...

guys like Yemelin and Diaz have yet to play a single NHL game...

you'd be comfortable with Gill on the first pair for -> 82 games ?
That's what you get if markov gets injured again.And throw away draft choices trying to replace him with journeymen again.How about we sign or trade for a big rugged stay at home d-man who's not afraid to drop'em,to pair up with PK

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
That's what you get if markov gets injured again.And throw away draft choices trying to replace him with journeymen again.How about we sign or trade for a big rugged stay at home d-man who's not afraid to drop'em,to pair up with PK
I'm too lazy to check if Jovocop logged a lot of minutes this season.

Old
06-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
You really think so?

Hamrlik was all offense in his young years but post-lockout the guy turned into a pretty darn good shut-down defenseman and mentor to younger guys. Maybe Ehrhoff can continue to develop his defensive game but I'm not overly impressed with it. I mean he's good, he's top 4 good, I don't find he's on the same level Hamrlik has been with us.

I'd approve the signing in almost all scenerio's (unless we overpay tremendously), I just don't find his defensive game to be all that and a bag of potatoe chips, that's all.
He was 31-32 at the lockout, so yeah, like I said, he was at the end of his peak, that's when most veteran dmen become very reliable defensively. I see Ehrhoff already ahead defensively of what Hammer was at 28 (which was a few years before the lockout).

Old
06-21-2011, 04:41 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
that's the thing -> IF.

but what about : he doesnt get injured ?

Old
06-21-2011, 06:50 PM
sevil

11.5million for 2 years is the rumor for Markov.

sevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:51 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevil View Post
11.5million for 2 years is the rumor for Markov.
Make sense, he wanted 3 years, we wanted 1, he gets 2.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Rgolt

Oh Tony.....
seems like 2yrs 11.5 for Markov
Honeslty not bad

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:56 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

I'm game. I thought he'd take a bit of a pay-cut because he's an injury risk, and he may not return back to form immediately. Also, would be nice if we had a player that pulls a Selanne, taking a cut to let the team spend elsewhere.

But I'm still comfortable with 5.75 per.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:57 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

did markov get signed or are u guys guessing

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:58 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
did markov get signed or are u guys guessing
Marinaro tweeted that it is 100% done .. 2 years, 11.5 million

He has said nothing about when it will be announced

Old
06-21-2011, 07:09 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

It's not confirmed. I can't believe you guys are counting Marinaro as confirmation.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:11 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
It's not confirmed. I can't believe you guys are counting Marinaro as confirmation.
I know I know ...

but he did tweet on May 2nd that the habs had said NO to Jagr and it appears he was right on that when at the time everybody was saying the opposite.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Guilliam

2 years at 5,75 per would be nice. Kind of a mulligan of the last 2 years...

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote