HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

V-start or toe start?

Old
06-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Badger36

vCash: 500
V-start or toe start?

Whats the better way of getting quick, explosive starts?

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:37 PM
trtaylor

trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtaylor View Post
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:16 PM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

As long as the first few strides are short and choppy- you should be good to go. Then fully extend.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:54 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Unfortunately, their experimental setup is pretty poor. They state the result before the experiment, and then proceed to time themselves? It would be very easy to (even subconsciously) influence the result of the experiment by skating less efficiently in the techniques that they had already concluded should be less efficient.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:10 PM
ponder

Quote:
The way I see it, you just use whatever start fits best with the situation you're in. Any type of v starts are pretty impractical, because when are you in that sort of narrow v stance in a hockey game ever? The crossover style starts are obviously the way to go when you're already coming out of a crossover, or when you've just done a 2 footed stop. And if you're just standing still with a wide stance, then the push and go is the most natural. Getting set up for some different type of start is never worth it, just go with whatever position your feet are already in.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:45 PM
johnnyvegas

As ponder said, your starting position is dictated by the situation. Do you want to go in the direction right in front of you or to either side?

If you want to get up to speed quickest then pushing on the toes of your skates is the best. You can do this from either a v- or cross over starting position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk7XA3Xq3ms - Toe Start Analysis by Laura Stamm Power Skating

johnnyvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
The way I see it, you just use whatever start fits best with the situation you're in. Any type of v starts are pretty impractical, because when are you in that sort of narrow v stance in a hockey game ever? The crossover style starts are obviously the way to go when you're already coming out of a crossover, or when you've just done a 2 footed stop. And if you're just standing still with a wide stance, then the push and go is the most natural. Getting set up for some different type of start is never worth it, just go with whatever position your feet are already in.
It seems like no matter which type of start you go with, the first 3 steps are really more like running than skating anyways.
Is that correct or am I missing something?

Old
06-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by taunting canadian View Post
Unfortunately, their experimental setup is pretty poor. They state the result before the experiment, and then proceed to time themselves? It would be very easy to (even subconsciously) influence the result of the experiment by skating less efficiently in the techniques that they had already concluded should be less efficient.
Thats kind of what I thought too. Its not as if you are going to skate exactly as fast every time and that test is prone to bias because the skaters know what stride they are doing at the time.
I do actually agree with the video somewhat in that I find that wider stride works better for me (you dont see very many NHL players who skate with a narrow stride because it would be too easy for them to get knocked down).

Old
06-22-2011, 11:10 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Agreed, it all depends on the situation. If you make a hard stop and need to go in the direction you just came, the crossover start is going to be the best bet. The time you take to set yourself back in a normal position is going to negate the three tens of a second of acceleration you gain from doing a normal start.

I personally don't like toe starts because I feel like if a player comes at you for a hit you're extremely vulnerable. At least with most of the other maneuvers you have *some* balance.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:00 AM
Badger36

Yeah, Im starting to think more and more that toe starts dont make much sense.
Im thinking when I need to do a forward start I will just do the push and go and Im also going to work on learning crossover starts for when I need to do a hockey stop and then get moving quickly again or for when I need to move sideways from a faceoff.
Of course, I need to learn how to do regular crossovers before I worry about crossoveer starts. LOL I think I just need to wear my shinguards so that I dont worry about tripping myself and falling. For some reason my mind gets in the way and I always chicken out when I try to do a crossover. I need to get over that.

Old
06-23-2011, 03:56 AM
Sigge

Interesting video there trtaylor, even though you might question the outcome especially considering he already states it before trying it.
But hey, I guess he's just trying to prove a point and not really do a proper "research".

Personally I believe that anything except the V start, mainly because of the starting position, should work fine depending on the situation.
On a side note, I was always taught since I was a kid that the push and go was the best and easiest way to get a quick start.

Sigge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:10 AM
trtaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigge View Post
Interesting video there trtaylor, even though you might question the outcome especially considering he already states it before trying it.
But hey, I guess he's just trying to prove a point and not really do a proper "research".

Personally I believe that anything except the V start, mainly because of the starting position, should work fine depending on the situation.
On a side note, I was always taught since I was a kid that the push and go was the best and easiest way to get a quick start.
Yeah, I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I knew of the video and it did apply to the original poster's question. I think some valid points have been made regarding the methodolgy used. But, I think there may be more to (the testing) than what made it into a short You Tube video.

If anyone was curious, I suspect Bracko would reply to an e-mail on the subject.

And, good points have been made above regarding use the start that is most appropriate for the situation.

trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:11 AM
Iplayhockehh

The v start with a wide stance but toes pointed outwards is the best option. It's basically what was shown in the video but with your heals way farther apart than that. From that position take three large jumps pushing forward with the front 1/3 of your skate. After the third jump take long strides.

Iplayhockehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:31 AM
Iplayhockehh

By the way, aren't the two videos shown by the OP the same thing with a different name?

Old
06-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplayhockehh View Post
By the way, aren't the two videos shown by the OP the same thing with a different name?
No because in the first one they dont start on their toes. They have the middle of the blade on the ice, whereas in the 2nd video only the front 2" of the blade are on the ice.
BTW, I tried wide v-starts (the, "push and go") this weekend at pubic skate and it worked fine. I just need more practice with it so that I have the confidence to push hard and get it to a point where its instinct.

Old
06-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Iplayhockehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchiefwantdacup View Post
No because in the first one they dont start on their toes. They have the middle of the blade on the ice, whereas in the 2nd video only the front 2" of the blade are on the ice.
BTW, I tried wide v-starts (the, "push and go") this weekend at pubic skate and it worked fine. I just need more practice with it so that I have the confidence to push hard and get it to a point where its instinct.
Okay, do you want to tell us your technique step by step so we can tell you if you're doing it correctly?

Old
06-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:

Please keep in mind that in the videos, they were using only one hand on the stick. A lot of hockey players make the mistake of putting two hands on their stick off the line.

When you use one hand, you have more of a runners motion with your arms which help in the aid of the stride. But, if you place that bottom hand on your stick after the first stride that will slow you down because now the arm motion have a tendency to move across your body.

So one of the things you should practice is getting up to speed and on the third for four stride, place that bottom hand on the stick, but try not to have to much upper body movement.

When you have no upper body movement, after the quick stride, you will be ready for the pass!

Head coach

06-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Please keep in mind that in the videos, they were using only one hand on the stick. A lot of hockey players make the mistake of putting two hands on their stick off the line.

When you use one hand, you have more of a runners motion with your arms which help in the aid of the stride. But, if you place that bottom hand on your stick after the first stride that will slow you down because now the arm motion have a tendency to move across your body.

So one of the things you should practice is getting up to speed and on the third for four stride, place that bottom hand on the stick, but try not to have to much upper body movement.

When you have no upper body movement, after the quick stride, you will be ready for the pass!

Head coach
I'll keep those things in mind. Thanks, coach!

Old
06-27-2011, 10:42 PM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

V Start! get some speed right away ( i like to cross over alot also)

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSpezza19 View Post
V Start! get some speed right away ( i like to cross over alot also)
Im working on crossovers but like I said in one of my above posts, I have to learn how to do crossovers around the faceoff circle before I worry about crossover starts.
I definetly intend to learn those too and hopefully soon! I need to make up for my lack of hockey sense (due to not picking up hockey until age 30) with superior skating ability!

Old
06-28-2011, 07:50 AM
TheOtter

Quote:
Im working on crossovers but like I said in one of my above posts, I have to learn how to do crossovers around the faceoff circle before I worry about crossover starts.
I definetly intend to learn those too and hopefully soon! I need to make up for my lack of hockey sense (due to not picking up hockey until age 30) with superior skating ability!
Just a thought - working on crossover starts may help you learn to do crossovers around the circle (it's all about learning to use that outside edge and trusting that you can move your weight around without falling). Work on everything a little bit at a time, and you never know which technique will help you get over the hump for some other technique. Don't limit yourself to any one sequence.

TheOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:02 AM
night-timer

Quote:
Yeah, Im starting to think more and more that toe starts dont make much sense.
Im thinking when I need to do a forward start I will just do the push and go and Im also going to work on learning crossover starts for when I need to do a hockey stop and then get moving quickly again or for when I need to move sideways from a faceoff.
Of course, I need to learn how to do regular crossovers before I worry about crossoveer starts. LOL I think I just need to wear my shinguards so that I dont worry about tripping myself and falling. For some reason my mind gets in the way and I always chicken out when I try to do a crossover. I need to get over that.
What position do you play? If you're in defence, you might occasionally find yourself doing a hockey stop behind your own goal net when you're in possession of the puck while waiting for a winger on either side to become open.

(Depending on which side you skate towards before passing up to the wing, you might do a crossover after stopping, while still puck handling.)

The co-ordination required in good hockey is challenging and there are no short cuts in my experience so far!

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:12 AM
night-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
As long as the first few strides are short and choppy- you should be good to go. Then fully extend.
... although I once heard a player suggest that those first few strides don't necessarily need to be short (why not long?), unless long strides are much harder to do than short ones from a standing start.

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
What position do you play? If you're in defence, you might occasionally find yourself doing a hockey stop behind your own goal net when you're in possession of the puck while waiting for a winger on either side to become open.

(Depending on which side you skate towards before passing up to the wing, you might do a crossover after stopping, while still puck handling.)

The co-ordination required in good hockey is challenging and there are no short cuts in my experience so far!
I play in an open hockey league and I dont really have a set position I play.
Im a pretty fast skater for my league though (people of all ages but mostly people age 30-50), so I usually end up playing wing.