HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers are without a plan coming into the draft

Old
06-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I am cool with them trading down for more picks later on

1st for late first, 2nd ,4th for example
I'm hoping for this. More shots at the dartboard is always a good thing. I also wouldn't mind trading some of these picks for NHL help right now.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:30 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Biggs isn't that bad. I mean, come on, he wore the C on his team for a reason.

If he can play the Rangers style, PK, forecheck, cycle, and cause agitation and stick up for his teammates while turning into what I call a 20-20 guy (20G, 20A) then I'm fine with it.

Miller has more upside but those 2 concussions or problematic.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:04 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

If they feel the concussions will be an issue in the future with Miller, then id be ecstatic with Biggs.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:19 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Ya think Gordie is going to say, "THIS KID RIGHT HERE.. THATS THE KID WE ARE PINING FOR"

Why would he do that? Teams ahead of the rangers in the draft position might not have the greatest scouts or a better scout than Gordie and if they feel Gordie is HIGH on a player, than that team most likely will take the player the rangers want because the lack of a good scout in their organization would make them think Gordie knows better than their boys.

If I was in a position to know who I am targeting.. I sure as hell wouldnt tell any of you guys or the media.

You really REALLY think the Rangers dont have their own mock draft? Their own few guys they covet? Come on.. This is not 2001. The Rangers have GREAT SCOUTS now. They arent great because they guess well. They SCOUT well
One of the Boston Sports Radio stations interviewed Mike O'connel the Bruins GM prior to Chiarelli a couple of days after Game 7...his team (Jeff Gorton) drafted Lucic, etc since he was fired in March and Chia didn't take over until after the draft...they asked him if he had any picks he would take back...he said during draft meetings he said he liked Samsonov and felt that his scouts were swayed by that and after that never gave his thoughts on a player and let the scouts run the board....pretty interesting.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:22 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Agreed, and I dont have any issue with this.

Most importantly, I'm glad that the anti-MDZ knuckleheads on here finally heard from a Rangers source that MDZ simply had a sophomore slump (what some of us said all along) because teams adjusted to him and it surprised him.

The Rangers are not rebuilding. They have addressed some serious flaws in the organization the last few years. They need NHL-proven talent to make them contenders, and it seems like they never viewed this draft as a critical part of the organization's future as in years past.

They were a 44-win playoff team last season without the benefit of the majority of the prospects they have stockpiling since the lockout. Having a deep cupboard allows them to trade for elite NHL talent, if the prospects dont pan out like they want them to.

If the Rangers add a legit playmaking center like Scheifele or a sniper like Armia, it's like playing with house money despite a weak draft.

Take a young playoff team with a prospect pool highlighted by Kreider, Erixon, Thomas, McIlrath and possibly one of Armia/Scheifele/Macneill/Miller, they will be set for a long time.

Not to mention a ton of cap room for 2012.

This draft is the least interesting draft I can remember in a long, long time. Maybe worse than 1996. Seems like the Rangers feel the same way. But if they can walk out of a weak draft with essentially two of the top 15 picks, it should be considered a great summer for them.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Rangers are without a plan...this is news???

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Gordie Clark, who is the most overrated member of the front-office I've ever seen, hasnt drafted a real impact player his entire time here....so why is he whining about it during this particular draft?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Gordie Clark, who is the most overrated member of the front-office I've ever seen, hasnt drafted a real impact player his entire time here....so why is he whining about it during this particular draft?
Please.

Old
06-21-2011, 08:15 PM
rangerjoe

Quote:
What a really uneducated statement dude..seriously?

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:16 PM
rangerjoe

I'm curious to see who takes the Russian kid...I bet there will be alot of Rangers fans thinking that the Rangers will take him at #15 should he still be available.

Who do you guys think will draft Khokhlachev?

Old
06-21-2011, 08:18 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjoe View Post
I'm curious to see who takes the Russian kid...I bet there will be alot of Rangers fans thinking that the Rangers will take him at #15 should he still be available.

Who do you guys think will draft Khokhlachev?
I have him going to Chicago @ 18.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:19 PM
liv4socr20

russians in the 1st round

reminds us ranger fans too much of cherepanov. RIP. We'll pass.

liv4socr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjoe View Post
What a really uneducated statement dude..seriously?
Anyone want to provide any facts? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Not saying he hasnt drafted some good/very good NHL players but, to me, impact means elite players and he certainly hasnt bagged one of those yet.

The guy has been portrayed as some sort of messiah around here...his performance has been like the players hes drafted...good, not great.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:34 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Clark has done well with the picks he's had.

Between 10-20 + later rounds, he's stocked up with Chris Kreider, Michael Del Zotto, Derek Stepan, Evgeny Grachev, Tomas Kundratek, Artem Anisimov, Jesper Fasth, Christian Thomas, Dylan McIlrath, and more.

He hasn't really had the chance to draft an "elite player", and it still remains to be seen whether any of these players become elite (although, that's obviously highly unlikely).

I don't see how you can deny he's done an excellent job thus far.

Old
06-21-2011, 08:37 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post

Between 10-20 + later rounds, he's stocked up with Chris Kreider, Michael Del Zotto, Derek Stepan, Evgeny Grachev, Tomas Kundratek, Artem Anisimov, Jesper Fasth, Christian Thomas, Dylan McIlrath, and more.

He hasn't really had the chance to draft an "elite player", and it still remains to be seen whether any of these players become elite (although, that's obviously highly unlikely).

Unless prospects and draft picks are Norris and Hart candidates straight from the podium, they're busts.

Didn't you know?

Old
06-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post

I agree. We haven't had a top 3 pick for him to **** the bed with yet. You don't normally get elite players where we normally draft.

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:39 PM
NY Ranger86

shocker

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:43 PM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4socr20 View Post
reminds us ranger fans too much of cherepanov. RIP. We'll pass.
Yeah, exactly...that's why I was saying it'll be interesting for Rangers fans should he be around at #15

Old
06-21-2011, 08:45 PM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Anyone want to provide any facts? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Not saying he hasnt drafted some good/very good NHL players but, to me, impact means elite players and he certainly hasnt bagged one of those yet.

The guy has been portrayed as some sort of messiah around here...his performance has been like the players hes drafted...good, not great.
Elite players normally go in the top 5...we haven't picked in the top 5 in a long time man.

Keep the faith...

Old
06-21-2011, 08:45 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Armia is an intriguing player. I think NY could do worse. My main concern with him is his English but the skill is clearly there.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:48 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
Armia is an intriguing player. I think NY could do worse. My main concern with him is his English but the skill is clearly there.
It is; watching videos of him, he's the natural goal scorer this team needs. He's lanky, skilled, and has a great shot, with great hands to go with it. His ultimate upside is probably Alex Semin; he just screamed him when I watched him play.

He's weak, though; very weak. I could probably outmuscle him(although, I'm 100 pounds heavier than him, so that may be a given). He really needs to work on his strength.

Old
06-21-2011, 08:51 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
shocker

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:55 PM
NYR Viper

Surprise! Gordie Clark decided not to let the entire world the players he is looking at. They may have 5-6 players ranked very closely together and depending on who goes where, they will take whoever they feel is the best. At 15, its difficult, especially in a draft like this, to determine who the teams before you will pick. without a 2nd or 3rd, they have 2 options, stand-pat or trade down. Trading up is no longer an option.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:09 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
According to the "experts," "they're unanimous in praise of Biggs' physical skills and surliness.

he is legitimate tough (tangled with several U.S. NTDP top fighters) with good size (6'2, 210 lbs) and is strong (checks hard and is a real pain in the ass to play against said 1 NHL scout).

Was a member of the U.S.A. team that played 16 games against NCAA teams (whose players of course were older and more experienced). When all was said and done Biggs was second in scoring for NTDP with 3 game winners, but scouts were even more intrigued by his ability to deliver big hits while disrupting the opposition.

He's heading to Miami University next season."
thehockeynews.com

IDK, who knows how good this kid will be 2-4 years from now. With his size and strength, it seems he could be the next Corey Perry or a bigger version of Brandon Prust.

IMO, it's a risk the Rangers should certainly take if he's still available at 15.

The Rangers and Clarke might very well have their eyes set on this kid who just turned 18.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
thehockeynews.com

IDK, who knows how good this kid will be 2-4 years from now. With his size and strength, it seems he could be the next Corey Perry or a bigger version of Brandon Prust.

IMO, it's a risk the Rangers should certainly take if he's still available at 15.

The Rangers and Clarke might very well have their eyes set on this kid who just turned 18.
Who owns Biggs CHL rights?

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote