HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers are without a plan coming into the draft

Old
06-21-2011, 09:23 PM
gravytrain6t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruotsalainen29 View Post
Who owns Biggs CHL rights?
well he will be attending Miami Uni next season. Up until now, he's been a member of the "Under-18 USHL. The National Team Dev. Program" Plays rw and shoots r.

IDK much about the U.S. under 18 National Program, but the CHL, isn't that made up of the major junior leagues in Canada?

I'm not saying this is a great draft or a great pick. Next year however (just saying), scouts are going crazy over some Russian Prospects (especially 3 kids, one named Nail Yakupov who broke an OHL record held by Stamkos).

Another, Alex Galchenyuk is being compared to Marian Hossa and 1 scout said..."talk about stick handling in a phone booth."

Then there's a kid playing Rus Jr. (CSKA) who scouts are already comparing to Ovechkin and Kovalchuk. His name is Mikhail Grigorenko (rw, 6-3 and 191 pounds). "big kid with lots of skill and real hard to knock off the puck."

Here's other big names who along with the ones above are already projected to go top 10 in the '12 draft. I'll save you the boredom of having to read the scouting reports!!

Jacob Trouba ("Cam Fowler with an edge.")
Ryan Murray
Nick Ebert
Griffin Reinhart
Nicolas Kerdiles
Zemgus Girgensons (Center from Latvia, going to Vermont)

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 06-21-2011 at 09:45 PM.
gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
well he will be attending Miami Uni next season. Up until now, he's been a member of the "Under-18 USHL. The National Team Dev. Program" Plays rw and shoots r.
I know he plays for the USNDT now. 2013 prospect Seth Jones does as well but his CHL rights are owned by Everett (WHL).

Let's say the Rangers draft him and want him in the CHL instead of the NCAA. Where would he play if he were to agree to that?

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Theon
Registered Hobbit

Quote:
Who owns Biggs CHL rights?
Oshawa Generals I believe.

Theon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDZ View Post
Thank you. Adam Graves is an executive (owner?) for Oshawa so if we draft him I hope he can talk him into playing in the OHL.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:52 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
I know he plays for the USNDT now. 2013 prospect Seth Jones does as well but his CHL rights are owned by Everett (WHL).

Let's say the Rangers draft him and want him in the CHL instead of the NCAA. Where would he play if he were to agree to that?
I'm not to proud to admit I'm ignorant to a lot of this stuff. I'm not sure, under the scouting report I have, it doesn't say. Sorry. IDK why it wouldn't list it.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:53 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Thank you. Adam Graves is an executive (owner?) for Oshawa so if we draft him I hope he can talk him into playing in the OHL.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshawa_Generals

He's a part time owner.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:53 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Let's go in hoping for the best, and illegally steal Zibanejad in the process.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:54 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDZ View Post
Where did you find that info out?

Old
06-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
I'm not to proud to admit I'm ignorant to a lot of this stuff. I'm not sure, under the scouting report I have, it doesn't say. Sorry. IDK why it wouldn't list it.
That's cool man.

I would kill if we could draft any of Yakupov, Galchenyuk or Grigorenko next year.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Nice. That means if we draft him I would think he would play there.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:11 PM
gravytrain6t

http://bubbling-under.blogspot.com/2...ler-biggs.html

It's okay, I found it.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:16 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think what Clark is trying to say is that he doesnt expect anyone they want to fall to 15 - and what that means is theyll probably go off the board and pick a high risk/reward player OR trade 15 and get something back that can help them now or double up on picks in the 1st and second. Then again, they'll probably just stay pat, pick another defenseman and well all shake our heads as to why...

Who the hell knows. In any event - we'll find out in 3 days!

(My 1st round pick = Erixon)

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:18 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Picks 2 through 14 have complete brain farts and Landeskog continues to wear a Rangers sweater.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:01 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
That's cool man.
Thanks, you guys don't mess around when it comes to the prospects. I thought I had some news on a few up and comers that people may or may not of been aware of. Then I realize I'm preaching to the choir. Should of told me to shut up after my op.

Quote:
I would kill if we could draft any of Yakupov, Galchenyuk or Grigorenko next year.
Me too. They'll be going to the Islanders, Oilers and another sucky team however. I doubt they'll be there at 15-17.

Old
06-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
That's cool man.

Thanks, you guys don't mess around when it comes to the prospects. I thought I had some news on a few up and comers that people may or may not of been aware of. Then I realize I'm preaching to the choir. Should of told me to shut up after my op.

Me too. They'll be going to the Islanders, Oilers and another sucky team however.
Nah man. We are all trying to decipher as much info as possible and welcome all news. Even though this is a hockey prospect site not everyone knows everything about every prospect.

It would really suck if the Isles got one of them though.

Old
06-21-2011, 11:33 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Nah man. We are all trying to decipher as much info as possible and welcome all news. Even though this is a hockey prospect site not everyone knows everything about every prospect.
Good point. I agree!.

Quote:
It would really suck if the Isles got one of them though.
I know, as much as it sucks that the Devils won the lottery. They still might get the best forward or defense man available.

We'll see what Slats is up to though!! Til then...

Old
06-22-2011, 12:18 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Personally, I want Biggs in a Rangers uniform.

If they can't move up to get a guy like Landeskog, Huberdeau, or someone like that, then get Biggs. The Rangers need power forwards, and I think Biggs projects to be Ryan Malone-like myself.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:23 AM
ThisYearsModel

How about trading this year's #1 for a #1 next year, when the draft is stocked.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:26 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
I'd be okay with that, though you run the risk that you're crappier than expected, or the other team is better than expected. You don't want to acquire a pick for next year that ends up being way lower than what you have in the current year.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:27 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
I'd be 100% in support of it. Erixon was our 1st rounder this year.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:30 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Having a hard time thinking of circumstances where a team would want to do that given the premise that next year will be a better draft.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:30 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
First of all, I don't think "getting Lucic" (a 20-30 Goal scoring gritty forward) at 15 is unreasonable.

Second of all, I would actually argue that a 15-25 goal, 50-60 point forward who brings nothing but offense to the table is not especially hard to acquire via trade/UFA either (Zherdev, Wolski). What is very hard to acquire is a player who will produce similar points but is physical and responsible in all 3 zones (Dubinsky, Lucic, Backes).

I agree that the odds of a "3rd line project" hitting those offensive targets are lower, but if it pans out (this is where you trust your staff) it is way more valuable that a "high risk - reward" guy who "kind of" pans out (for arguments sake, say he hits 80% of his potential). Obviously if the riskier player becomes Semin it is another story.

The high-risk, high-reward player would not have a 50 point ceiling. A purely offensive player who has a 50-point ceiling gets drafted in the 5th round. But in the first or second round, there are players out there who have 80-90 point ceiling (as their absolute maximum), but who have a very high probability of going bust, which is why they did not go in the top-3.

So let's say you have two players:

Player A: 70% chance to make the NHL, but only 5% that he'll be top-6 and 1% that he'll be a first liner.

Player B: Only 30% chance he'll make the NHL, but 25% that he'll be top-6 and 15% that he'll be a first liner.

Player B has more than double the odds of going bust, but if he does make it, we are not talking about someone who will be a scrub, we are talking about someone who - if he makes it - will probably be a first liner or a very good second liner at worst.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:43 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Gordie Clark, who is the most overrated member of the front-office I've ever seen, hasnt drafted a real impact player his entire time here....so why is he whining about it during this particular draft?
He is not overrated. He, along with Sather, did an excellent job drafting, but they knew that this team cannot afford to wind up with nothing, so they did not go high-risk, high-return until swinging for MDZ, Kreider, McIlrath.

Normally, 20% of second rounders make the NHL. Since the lockout, from 2005 to 2008, the Rangers drafted Sauer, Anisimov, Lafleur, Stepan. 75% of them are NHLers. At least one of Thomas and Werek (maybe both) will also become NHLers.

In the first round, about 1/3 become regular NHLers. The Rangers drafted Staal, Sanguinetti, Cherepanov, MDZ, Kreider and McIlrath.

Cherry died, but probably would've made it. McIlrath is too early to tell.

Staal, MDZ and almost definitely Kreider are/will be NHLers. And Sanguinetti was turned into Fasth and Erixon.

Rangers have been significantly better at choosing players than the rest of the league, not to mention prospect acquisitions like Boyle, Girardi, Erixon, McDonagh and Valentenko.

The Rangers may not have gotten any big-time players except Marc Staal, but they did get a tremendous number of excellent NHLers.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:45 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Even the Rangers have no clue who to pick in this cluster****
that's twisting his words. He's just saying last year, it was crystal clear McIlrath was their guy, a guy they thought they'd be able to get at #10. At #15, it's not going to be clear but they obviously have a plan, but in Gordie's words "This year, there’s no real plan like that" I think a lot of people selectively read that line. They will play it by ear, go by their notes, listen to offers to trade down so they might get a 2nd pick to boot. That much was clear ->

Quote:
Clark did not rule out making a trade to acquire some extra picks, particularly in the second round, if when it comes time to pick at No. 15 there’s not one of their main targets left on the board.

"I’m probably leaning more toward just trying to see what’s there with forwards."
so Larsson, Hamilton, and Murphy are definitely gone by our pick. Brodin, Beaulieu, Siemens, Oleksiak, Morrow, Klefbom... If Calgary, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota are all intent on getting D men, an interesting forward might drop to us, we'll probably take him. Also, if a lot of forwards are taken and an interesting D-man lands in our lap, we could be in a very good situation to trade down since we have such good depth at D. I can definitely see Dallas taking Oleksiak having missed out on McIlrath last year. If Colorado passes on Larsson (possible after getting both E.Johnson and Shattenkirk), reason stands they would grab one of the D-men left at 11th overall.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 02:57 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I suppose the title of the thread is entirely misleading as well. Should be...

Quote:
Rangers are without a plan (like last year) coming into the draft.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote