HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TSN: Roberto Luongo on the move?

Old
06-21-2011, 01:54 AM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Watching TSN'S Thats Hockey and they're speculating that Luongo could possible be dealt sometime this summer. Reda, Button and Dreger were discussing it. Vancouver has Schneider, is young and proven...and plenty of teams need to get to the salary floor.
One such team, ironically, was the Florida Panthers.

Discuss.
if im not mistaken the florida panthers have a bright young goalie prospect in Jacob Markstrom, who is pretty much ready to come up within a year or so.

also pretty sure they have a couple other encouraging goalie prospects, so i dont see how 10 years of luongo will be as beneficial to them as filling other positional needs. They arent going to compete anyways if were all being realistic so a stop-gap goalie would be much more beneficial.

teams i think thatd benefit from aquiring luongo given the right price: PHX(dont know cap situation, some reason actually recall them being fairly close to cap, or maybe its because they dont have an owner so have an internal budget)
NYI: i know they have nabby, but hes cheap and only around for a year and all of their other goalies/prospects can only dream of ending up as good as lou.
WPG this is more of a personal opinion, i dont think pavs is the right guy for them if they want to be cup contenders, lou would be a game changer in net, like miller is for buf. although they need offense a whole lot more than an upgrade in net
NJ not this season as they have brodeur and already have cap problems, but perhaps once they have the parise situation cleared up and marty retires they may have room for his 5 mil cap hit, since thats probably around what marty makes

i think loungo has REALLY got the short end of the stick this year, he's really the only reason they won the 3 games in vancouver and didnt get swept. its not like he got any help in those wins or the loses, each home win was by 1 goal, 2 of which were 1-0

Dr Danglefest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:56 AM
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 55
Please lock this thread up, the Canucks don't want to trade Luongo, but even if they did they wouldn't get the return a player of Luongo's quality should.

Ronaldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:10 AM
lakeyn2

everyone forgets that luongo lives in florida
and he has made it to the cup final game seven and won a gold medal... how much better of a mentor can you get for markstrom?
luongo needs to be in a market where the media wont rip him for every loss he gets
not to mention that he has a clause in his contract where the team can walk away i think its beofre the seventh season and then he becomes a ufa....

Last edited by lakeyn2: 06-21-2011 at 02:25 AM. Reason: missed a point
lakeyn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:21 PM
You Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
And when he will be 42? Is a GM supposed to absorb years of a horrible contract for 1 OK year for a geriatric goaltender?

Are you purposely trolling?
I said a little perspective is in order. You said 10 years worth. That's what he'll be making in 10 years.

How horrible is a 5.3 million dollar cap hit? When the cap just went up 8% in one year? What do you think Vokoun and Bryzgalov are going to sign for?

You Know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
It was just speculation, you gotta fill air time. I saw it too though...Luongo to Florida lolololol. He'd have to waive his NMC but I don't think many players would do it for that team. It's not an actual rumour, they were just trying to connect the dots between Luongo moving and Florida having cap space, don't read into it.
First off, what's with the Panther bashing???? This franchise isn't the same crappy ol' hockey team it once was and will definately be a force to be wreckon with. Secondly, and thirdly Florida and Luongo just wouldn't be a good match. We have Markstrom who is going to join the team most likely next year (2012-2013) and become a star goaltender, and Luongo is signed for like 10 more years. Not to mention, Luongo helped take his injuried team to game 7 of the SC finals, I don't understand why people want to throw Luongo in the garbage?

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:31 PM
ChrisFromVan

vCash: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
First off, what's with the Panther bashing???? This franchise isn't the same crappy ol' hockey team it once was and will definately be a force to be wreckon with. Secondly, and thirdly Florida and Luongo just wouldn't be a good match. We have Markstrom who is going to join the team most likely next year (2012-2013) and become a star goaltender, and Luongo is signed for like 10 more years. Not to mention, Luongo helped take his injuried team to game 7 of the SC finals, I don't understand why people want to throw Luongo in the garbage?
cause people are dumb. lets get rid of the guy that helped us get further in the playoffs then we've been in the past decade and a half

ChrisFromVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:32 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeyn2 View Post
luongo needs to be in a market where the media wont rip him for every loss he gets
not to mention that he has a clause in his contract where the team can walk away i think its beofre the seventh season and then he becomes a ufa....
Such clauses don't exist in the CBA. For Luongo to be a UFA, he would need to be bought out.. And that's not likely to happen.

The "7-yr clause" in his contract is simply a limited NTC, where the team can trade him at that point.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Burrows19

Would love a deal to Florida, im sure him/ his wife would be thrilled.

Burrows19 is offline   Reply With Quote