HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Are the Habs spending to the cap this year?

Old
06-21-2011, 10:34 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
lol, look at you defending corporate interests.

Barring a cup win, Gauthier should probably be replaced soon.
lol, replace Gauthier? He was just named GM 10 minutes ago.

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
They had the 3rd most net revenue in the league last year at over 20M$ profit.
i think they're second in revenue behind leafs - certainly second in game to game gate receipts...
and i think because they get english and french tv revenue they're second there too.
maybe behind leafs and Rags but i think only leafs overall...

habs are actually second in revenue - 3rd in overall value...they made 9 million more than rags

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/31/...ns_314528.html

Last edited by Hugo Sham: 06-21-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Bullsmith

Last year they didn't spend to the cap, they spent considerably over it due to relief from LTIR. Still, it's cash out. I suspect they'll end up spending more than the cap this year too. Big market team trying to win now. How they're going about it is debatable, that PG and JM think they're close seems pretty much settled.

Bullsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:48 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
20 Million is less than 5% ROI, a little low.
Where did you get your $20m figure?

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:03 AM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveshutt View Post
Really? I thought we fell short of the cap last year. If I'm mistaken, I apologize.
There's a difference between not being flush against the cap and actually have instructions from ownership to moderate spending. The habs are a widely lucrative organization, thanks to Mr. Boisvert's marketing skills. It is clear that they don't need to spend less in order to survive, let alone be profitable.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
There's a difference between not being flush against the cap and actually have instructions from ownership to moderate spending. The habs are a widely lucrative organization, thanks to Mr. Boisvert's marketing skills. It is clear that they don't need to spend less in order to survive, let alone be profitable.
i'm also quite certain one of the conditions of that 100 million dollar caisse desjardins loan to the moslson group was a guarantee they spend to the cap each year to keep team competitive

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:14 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
Source? Just because they sell out doesn't mean they are highly profitable, and it depends on your definition of "hand over fist". It , was leveraged purchase, lots of interest to pay.

Source? The fact that we have the highest beer and merch prices in the league and people are still buying it up.

The fact that every seat is sold every night does mean something fyi.

Making the playoffs most years and at least usually making it to the 2nd round or close.

I mean it doesn't take a "source" to use common sense, come on now.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

Source? The fact that we have the highest beer and merch prices in the league and people are still buying it up.

The fact that every seat is sold every night does mean something fyi.

Making the playoffs most years and at least usually making it to the 2nd round or close.

I mean it doesn't take a "source" to use common sense, come on now.
Last I heard, Habs gave the 2nd most in revenue sharing for regular season revenues. Revenue sharing is based on total revenues, so that means the Habs had 2nd most too.

Teams don't tend to make huge profits, because those are counted -per team only- and that's after they gave away part of their profit to the NHL (ownership), and another part to the revenue sharing system. He talks of ROI, yet only includes profit, but from what I know, loan payments are included in the expense part of the ledger of teams, as an -arena rent and franchise allocation- expenses. The ROI is probably closer to 1/10 in reality, if not more.

Habs annual revenue, if my memory is any good, is around 120-150 mil in the last few years. Salaries only account for a 1/3 of that.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:58 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
i'm also quite certain one of the conditions of that 100 million dollar caisse desjardins loan to the moslson group was a guarantee they spend to the cap each year to keep team competitive
This would be horrible if it was true. You don't want an owner that allows banks with no hockey experience to dictate how he runs the hockey club.

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote