HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban/marchand double standard?

Old
06-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Hockeyfan68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan View Post
Lol old time hockey....

You say "if" alot maybe you should just watch him once in awhile he fights more than Marchand and Id say some tougher people too. And going after the Canucks for no real reason is confusing just drop it, you guys won already listening to you "old time" bruins fans *****ing about the Canucks is getting old for everyone..
I was referring to the European soccer mentality of diving and exaggerating to get penalty calls. The Canucks are exceptionally lame at that to the point of being ignored by the refs for the entire Stanley Cup Final.

Subban seems to be one to exaggerate and flip flop on the ice from what I have seen. I've seen Subban fight before but I have also seen him skate away when challenged.

Basically though this diving stuff won't win a Cup, I made the compare between Vancouver and Montreal because you both have a devastating PP and seem to always be flipping and flooping to draw calls to get on the PP.

It won't win a Stanley Cup .... get some toughness. That works a lot more and combine it with hard work which your team does already. You guys were relentless on the forecheck and gave Chara fits and at times he was caught flatfooted, something Vancouver failed to do.

Marchand isn't a goon was also the point but backs up his mouth by staying in the fray and not skating away after starting stuff in the corner like the Lappierre's of the world.

"Old time hockey" ... that means play hard, hardnosed and in your face like they used to. That still wins Stanley Cups as evidenced by the bruins this year. No stars, horrible PP ... great PK and good hardnosed old timey hockey work ethic.

PK Subban seems to be too showboaty for not really being in the league long. I stated I would respect him more if he just played hockey and didn't dive so he can get a chance on the PP to shoot his awesome slapshot and then showboat about it afterwards.

I dislike Ovechkin's showboating too and other player that do that. There is a fine line between cocky and confident.

Tampa didn;t flop around all over the place trying to draw penalties. They made their own luck with hard work and earned a game 7 just like Boston did.

Certain Canucks were an embarassment to the NHL with the diving and embellishment and in the end it didn't help them at all. You can either look at the ref for a call or get up and make a defensive play to prevent a goal instead.

You guys have such a good team and a great goalie and just need some grit mixed in and hardnosed hockey like your team had in the late 70s. Those guys didn;t flop around and cry to the refs, they were proud and earned Stanley Cups with hard work and good old time hockey.

I think a veteran on Montreal needs to pull PK aside and explain how the game is played and how to play it the right way. Marchand was worse when he started out but Recchi set him straight and was constantly telling him to play with a leval head and he responded by being a great player in this league.

PK Subban is absolutely one of the best talents on D I have seen in years, no doubt about that but he needs to leave the circus on the sidelines and play hockey. it's hockey and not cockey.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 02:30 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I was referring to the European soccer mentality of diving and exaggerating to get penalty calls. The Canucks are exceptionally lame at that to the point of being ignored by the refs for the entire Stanley Cup Final.

Subban seems to be one to exaggerate and flip flop on the ice from what I have seen. I've seen Subban fight before but I have also seen him skate away when challenged.

Basically though this diving stuff won't win a Cup, I made the compare between Vancouver and Montreal because you both have a devastating PP and seem to always be flipping and flooping to draw calls to get on the PP.

It won't win a Stanley Cup .... get some toughness. That works a lot more and combine it with hard work which your team does already. You guys were relentless on the forecheck and gave Chara fits and at times he was caught flatfooted, something Vancouver failed to do.

Marchand isn't a goon was also the point but backs up his mouth by staying in the fray and not skating away after starting stuff in the corner like the Lappierre's of the world.

"Old time hockey" ... that means play hard, hardnosed and in your face like they used to. That still wins Stanley Cups as evidenced by the bruins this year. No stars, horrible PP ... great PK and good hardnosed old timey hockey work ethic.

PK Subban seems to be too showboaty for not really being in the league long. I stated I would respect him more if he just played hockey and didn't dive so he can get a chance on the PP to shoot his awesome slapshot and then showboat about it afterwards.

I dislike Ovechkin's showboating too and other player that do that. There is a fine line between cocky and confident.

Tampa didn;t flop around all over the place trying to draw penalties. They made their own luck with hard work and earned a game 7 just like Boston did.

Certain Canucks were an embarassment to the NHL with the diving and embellishment and in the end it didn't help them at all. You can either look at the ref for a call or get up and make a defensive play to prevent a goal instead.

You guys have such a good team and a great goalie and just need some grit mixed in and hardnosed hockey like your team had in the late 70s. Those guys didn;t flop around and cry to the refs, they were proud and earned Stanley Cups with hard work and good old time hockey.

I think a veteran on Montreal needs to pull PK aside and explain how the game is played and how to play it the right way. Marchand was worse when he started out but Recchi set him straight and was constantly telling him to play with a leval head and he responded by being a great player in this league.

PK Subban is absolutely one of the best talents on D I have seen in years, no doubt about that but he needs to leave the circus on the sidelines and play hockey. it's hockey and not cockey.
very deep. last line summarizes the 'insight' of your post.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 02:35 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:

Opinion: disregarded.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 03:30 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

as much as i loved that infamous marchand sequence (the triple whammy) am i the only one that sees him hugging the guy? he clotheslines edler (or whoever), trips sedins, drops the gloves, but hugs the guy that comes after him so that he can't get hit?

marchand is a pest and i love him for it but come on, he does worst **** than subban and subby still gets called on it. yeah, it's because he's black.

that old white dude on the right saying "it's the little things he does, the way he carries himself". lmao racist ****

edit: and wtf? subban is not loved by his teammates now? and they wouldn't come to his aid in a scrum? what the **** is going at tsn?

double edit: actually no, in the cherry video, marchand does way worst **** than subban ever did

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 06-22-2011 at 03:35 AM.
MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 03:37 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:

you seriously don't have a leg to stand on. subban showboaty? ok granted, my turn: marchand wiping his hands in front of the canucks bench not showboaty

your turn.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:33 AM
OneSharpMarble

It amuses me how every bruin fan that comes in here gets embarrassed two posts later and then disappear. Only in a group are they anything, kind of like the team they love so much.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 05:21 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

Marchand, TT, Chara, Seidenberg (among others) beg to differ...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 07:23 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:

PK was behaving much bater towards the end of the year and in the playoffs against Boston. Yet the redneck Boston fans chanted F-U Subban-F-U Subban. How can we take you seriously?

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 07:25 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

^ two posts up: but their diving didn't win them the cup... lolpowerplay et cetera...

the canucks were a fricking embarrassment in that regard...

Old
06-22-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
We're not supposed to allude to racism. I suppose there's a better explanation for what we've seen. I just wish someone could tell me what it is in non-lawyerly terms. Alternatively, we could have a theater of the absurd in which the Habs sign another black player of little talent who attacks everyone in a black-and-yellow uniform like a berserk rhinoceros. Then Subban would be considered the "good one" by contrast.
I'll give it a go...

It's not blatant racism, it's ignorance more than anything. Like it or not (and I know some people will deny it), but when you're black (or insert any non-caucasian race here), your actions are viewed differently by people then they would be lets say if you were white.

The reason Subban gets so much hate, is pretty simple actually...people equate Subban with guys like Terrell Owens or Chad Ochocinco, the stereotypical black athlete who is all about "look at me, i'm great"...the typical hockey fan does not associate with this type of athlete. The typical hockey fan prefers his blue collar player, who has scripted interviews with media and doesn't make waves.

But again, it comes back to ignorance because other than sharing the same skin tone, Subban couldn't be further opposite than guys like Owens or Johnson. People see Subban score a GWG and celebrate, and they'll immediately (subconciously) equate it to a player in the NFL who scores a touchdown and has some crazy celebration planned (like Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson for example).

Yet if Brad Marchand (or i could of used any caucasian hockey player) celebrates the same way, they equate that with passion for the game. Perfect example, some of the most celebrated goals in hockey history are goals by Theo Fleury where he's sliding on his knees the length of the ice...or Tiger Williams riding his stick after scoring a non-important goal.

Hockey fans love those players because to them, they represent a specific type of athelete, one they relate to. But when Subban does, they subconsciouly equate it to an over-zealous NFL player who choreographs a TD dance after scoring the 6th TD in a rout.

Again, its not fair to call it racism...but ignorance I think applies. The typical hockey fan doesn't relate to the black hockey player who is good, who knows it and shows it on the ice. If Subban were white, he'd most likely get the benefit of the doubt, but he's not, so he won't. That's just the way things are when you're black, I learned that a LONG time ago, that's why in my everyday life, I realize that I have to be very cognisant of my actions because I won't get the benefit of the doubt and it's also why I try to change perceptions about black people. (sorry, getting too deep here lol).

anyways, I hope that answers your query...it's my opinion, I don't necessarily expect people to agree with it (especially on a hockey board) but it is what it is.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
Ye the one from yesterday... Here's the link on youtube:

This is exactly what I mean...see Rick Nattress, the guy on the right who is knocking Subban and trying to seperate his actions (although they are the same) from the one's Marchand did.

It's all about perceptions...

Not sure if you guys remember this, but during Hurrican Katrina, some media outlets snapped alot of pictures of families after the storm. Two specific photos created alot of angst among people and it was the one's where they had two seperate pictures of people who were wading through the water with food.

One was a white couple, the other was a single black male...and the caption they had below the pictures illustrates what I mean by "not getting the benefit of the doubt"

In the picture with the white couple, the caption read...

"Two residents wade through chest-deep water after finding bread and soda from a local grocery store"

In the picture with the single black male, the caption read...

"A young man walks through chest deep flood water after looting a grocery store"

Sorry for steering astray from the "Subban vs. Marchand" topic, but I think this type of reaction illustrates perfectly what I said in my earlier post. When you're black, you just don't get the benefit of the doubt. You guys can deny it all you want, but it is true.

But again, I dont think it's blatant racism...but there is ignorance and racial bias, you'd have to have your head completely stuck in the sand or have some other reason to ignore this, to not think there's a double standard here in reference to Subban and Marchand

Old
06-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Subban seems to be one to exaggerate and flip flop on the ice from what I have seen.
The Bruins have proven one thing : if you play dirty, people won't label you as being divers. Doesn't change the fact that the Bruins dive as much, if not more, as other teams do. They're not in Canucks territory, but they're huge stinking divers nonetheless.

But, hey, what do you expect from a team whose 6'9" 255 lbs captain plays like an Olympic diver?

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
The Bruins have proven one thing : if you play dirty, people won't label you as being divers. Doesn't change the fact that the Bruins dive as much, if not more, as other teams do. They're not in Canucks territory, but they're huge stinking divers nonetheless.

But, hey, what do you expect from a team whose 6'9" 255 lbs captain plays like an Olympic diver?
the diving thing is so dumb...I think most players in the NHL dive or embellish to try to get a call. It happens in EVERY sport, not sure why people only think certain players do it.

Give me a break

Old
06-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Protest the Hero

Quick someone tell the GMs before they start building their teams like the Bruins, "Diving does not win you the cup!"

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:30 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
you seriously don't have a leg to stand on. subban showboaty? ok granted, my turn: marchand wiping his hands in front of the canucks bench not showboaty

your turn.
Before you pass it back to him, can I add doing a golf swing to the Leafs bench in a game that meant nothing late in the season to your argument? That was probably the most flagrant and stupid example of showboating by any player this year.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
the diving thing is so dumb...I think most players in the NHL dive or embellish to try to get a call. It happens in EVERY sport, not sure why people only think certain players do it.

Give me a break
Like I said, play dirty (sorry, "physical") and people probably won't label you as a diver. They'll even sing your praises.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:21 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
If Brad Marchand's skin was the same color as his jersey, he would be given the same criticism as Subban.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:28 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If Brad Marchand's skin was the same color as his jersey, he would be given the same criticism as Subban.
away or home?

Old
06-22-2011, 09:30 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
away or home?
Home.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:42 AM
habitue*

First, I like PK a lot and I hope he won't change (too much).

But I don't think he is a victim of racism.

He just behave like a football or basketball player. That,ls what is annoying for the poor white kids with hockey mentallity.

I never heard anything regarding Wayne Simmonds nor Joel Ward or Grier or Iginla who are behaving like "real" hockey players ()

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:48 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Home.
should probably have added -->

Old
06-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
First, I like PK a lot and I hope he won't change (too much).

But I don't think he is a victim of racism.

He just behave like a football or basketball player. That,ls what is annoying for the poor white kids with hockey mentallity.

I never heard anything regarding Wayne Simmonds nor Joel Ward or Grier or Iginla who are behaving like "real" hockey players ()
I think these two paragraphs contradict each other.

In one sentence, you say it's not about race. The next paragraph, you associate PK's attitude with that of a basketball player or a football player, which one can easily assume that you are talking about the flamboyant black players with talent coming out of their ears.

When it comes down to it, everyone likes to say it's not about race but the examples everyone has listed ends up being about race anyways. I hate talking about it because we're in 2011 now and this should not be an issue anymore.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:07 AM
roy munson

Quote:
You mean the yellow part of the jersey?...

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:12 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I think these two paragraphs contradict each other.

In one sentence, you say it's not about race. The next paragraph, you associate PK's attitude with that of a basketball player or a football player, which one can easily assume that you are talking about the flamboyant black players with talent coming out of their ears.

When it comes down to it, everyone likes to say it's not about race but the examples everyone has listed ends up being about race anyways. I hate talking about it because we're in 2011 now and this should not be an issue anymore.
I don't see the contradiction. It's a cultural sporting thing. Not a race thing.

The snowboarders have another style. The soccer players too.

The NHL is a very (too) conservative and very "Canadian" (good old farm quiet pickup drivers macho boys)

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I don't see the contradiction. It's a cultural sporting thing. Not a race thing.

The snowboarders have another style. The soccer players too.

The NHL is a very (too) conservative and very "Canadian" (good old farm quiet pickup drivers macho boys)
But how does he behave like a football or basketball player?