HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs to Offer Hamrlik a Contract? (Yyyyikes!) (UPD: Offered 1-yr contract post #683)

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2011, 07:41 AM
ScopeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Wiz at 6M per? No way Jose! People learned with guys like Redden and Sourray.

And if Gill kept the same salary, do you really think that Hamrlik will get 3M less?

And I don't want to see Pyatt and Halpern back next year! Hell no! Replace them with bigger, tougher players would can play on the PK and drop them once in while.
You do realize that guys that can play on the PK and drop the gloves are quite rare? Guys that drop the gloves are generally bigger, rugged players that don't have the quickness required to be effective in the PK rotation.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Wisniewski will get around 5.5-6 mil per year as a UFA...and for 4-5 years. Hamrlik will probably get 2.5-3 mil for one year...no comparison at all.

Pyatt I wouldn't mind seeing him moved and get a 4th liner that can play and drop the gloves(Hordichuk?). Halpern is a nice fit for us...wins faceoffs, productive on offense and helps on PK.
Fine, have a borderline playoff team for a long time then. Wiz is 11 years younger, finished with over 50 points, grittier and has awesome chemistry with PK. What is Hamrlik suppose to bring for a 2 mil cheaper contract when we saved 5.5 mil by letting him go? Did Vancouver or Boston have any Tom Pyatt's or Jeff Halpern's on their bottom 6 lines? We need players that make an impact on the team, not just jersey fillers like Hamrlik who are reliable average defensmens in every situation.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Patty Roy

Don't like it.

I'd only support this move if he was being brought back to replace Spacek.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:46 AM
jadensdad

Quote:

And if Gill kept the same salary, do you really think that Hamrlik will get 3M less?

And I don't want to see Pyatt and Halpern back next year! Hell no! Replace them with bigger, tougher players would can play on the PK and drop them once in while.
You would think that teams have learned, but with the cap higher, limited amount of free agents available, and such a high cap floor, it will be a windfall for free agents this season. It is almost the perfect storm........

Old
06-22-2011, 07:47 AM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
It makes 0 sence at all to bring Hammer back, he does not bring anything that we don't have other then pushing Emelin to #7 role which is a step backwards imo.
There are so many other options on the market that could be signed between the 2.5 - 3mill mark then bring back Hamrlik who looked like he was completely played out. Though give him credit for being a trooper at his age taking on top minutes like he did because of all the injuries(was probably a factor of him being played out).

But players who come to mind I would rather have come in who clear the net and are a little more tougher and grittier playing defense are Hejda and Jovanovski.

Big dmen who hit and block shots. Leadership with Jovanovski as well. Hejda is a good shotblocker and plays his game well, which I think would fit in well with our defensive system.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:48 AM
ClasslessGuy

Hamrlik for under 3m is perfect only if we get rid of Spacek.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Redden and Souray were older and their game went to crap, plus those contracts were signed when the cap was almost 10 mil lower.

Hamrlik won'd be playing in the NHL next year unless he settles for 2.5-3 mil less than his previous contract. Hill got the same salary because he was already being paid a lot less...not sure how the two are related. The only way I want Hamrlik back is if we can move Spacek...

Pyatt I agree we should replace his spot with a bigger/tougher/more rugged player. Halpern brings too much to the table to just replace him with a banger.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:50 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Fine, have a borderline playoff team for a long time then. Wiz is 11 years younger, finished with over 50 points, grittier and has awesome chemistry with PK. What is Hamrlik suppose to bring for a 2 mil cheaper contract when we saved 5.5 mil by letting him go? Did Vancouver or Boston have any Tom Pyatt's or Jeff Halpern's on their bottom 6 lines? We need players that make an impact on the team, not just jersey fillers like Hamrlik who are reliable average defensmens in every situation.
I don't care if we let Wiz go, because IMHO it's natural to do so if we want to improve up front. That being said, guys like Hejda and Brewer are a much better investment and wouldn't cost a whole lot more than Hamrlik. Seriously. I've never seen a GM being that stupid before. It's as if he wasn't even negociating. Gill at the same salary? Markov rumoured to be 5,75M? Auld at 1M last summer (could've been had for less than 800k) right on July 1st?

And I can't imagine Pacioretty asked for a lot more than 1,625M. Seriously. Is this guy really negociating? It looks like ever since Julien Brisebois left, we don't look like we're giving a whole lot of efforts in negociations.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Halpern was more productive than the 3 guys on Boston's 4th line...get your head out of the sand.

Calling Halpern and Hamrlik jersey fillers is comical and showing a lack of hockey knowledge.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:53 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Redden and Souray were older and their game went to crap, plus those contracts were signed when the cap was almost 10 mil lower.

Hamrlik won'd be playing in the NHL next year unless he settles for 2.5-3 mil less than his previous contract. Hill got the same salary because he was already being paid a lot less...not sure how the two are related. The only way I want Hamrlik back is if we can move Spacek...

Pyatt I agree we should replace his spot with a bigger/tougher/more rugged player. Halpern brings too much to the table to just replace him with a banger.
Halpern brought a lot for about 15 games. The rest of the year, he wasn't much more than a jersey filler. See it as you want, I'd rather have a guy who can do what he does, AND play a physical brand of hockey. Guys like Asham, Torres, Winchester and Rupp would be too useful to pass on and signing a guy like Halpern instead.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
Hamrlik for under 3m is perfect only if we get rid of Spacek.
No it's not. We have Markov (who will be resigned) Emelin, Gorges, Gill and Subban + Weber who will have guranteed spots on the team. Our D core is missing both some MAJOR grit and a shooter for Markov. Does Hamrlik bring just 1 of the 2 aspects that I named? Perfect my a....

Old
06-22-2011, 07:54 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Halpern was more productive than the 3 guys on Boston's 4th line...get your head out of the sand.

Calling Halpern and Hamrlik jersey fillers is comical and showing a lack of hockey knowledge.
Halpern was used on our top-6 for portions of the year for christ sake. Quite obviously, Boston had enough depth to use Thornton Paille and Campbell on their 4th line and not use them anywhere else in their lineup. Too bad we have a freakin' retard playing on our top-6.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:56 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:

Agreed. Halpern is not a 'sexy' player to watch because he's fairly slow, not physical, etc. But he's one of the smarter players the Habs have had. Incredibly effective on the PK due to his faceoff and lane covering ability.

His stats last year project to 30+ points on a full season which to me, is the benchmark for a good/great bottom 6 forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowsingForACup View Post
Halpern was used on our top-6 for portions of the year for christ sake. Quite obviously, Boston had enough depth to use Thornton Paille and Campbell on their 4th line and not use them anywhere else in their lineup. Too bad we have a freakin' retard playing on our top-6.
I believe the retard is more likely to be the one writing the post I've referenced, as opposed to a Princeton graduate who is articulate, well spoken and displays a ton of smarts on the ice.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:59 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Hamrlik gets a rough ride here for no good reason, but it really doesn't make sense to bring him back at this point. Especially not with Gill and Spacek already there and Wisniewski (seemingly) being shown the door. That's just too old and too slow.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I don't care if we let Wiz go, because IMHO it's natural to do so if we want to improve up front. That being said, guys like Hejda and Brewer are a much better investment and wouldn't cost a whole lot more than Hamrlik. Seriously. I've never seen a GM being that stupid before. It's as if he wasn't even negociating. Gill at the same salary? Markov rumoured to be 5,75M? Auld at 1M last summer (could've been had for less than 800k) right on July 1st?

And I can't imagine Pacioretty asked for a lot more than 1,625M. Seriously. Is this guy really negociating? It looks like ever since Julien Brisebois left, we don't look like we're giving a whole lot of efforts in negociations.
For somebody that callsan NHL GM stupid your post doesn't make you look very bright.

I'm pretty sdure that once all is said and done Hejda and Brewer will cost about 3 or 4 times the investment that a guy like Hamrlik does. The part that you seem to be missing in all of this is that like Gill, if we re-sign Harmlik(hopefully conditional on Spacek getting moved) it will be a ONE YEAR deal meaning we don't have them on the cap the next 2 years when young guys like Price Subban Eller Pacioretty Yemelin etc will come up for big raises. If you give Brewer 4.25-4.5 mil per yer over 4-5 years(I figure that's about what he'll get as a UFA) that 4.25-4.5 mil is taking up space next year and the following one when guys like Yemelin and Weber will be cheaper options to step up into bigger roles.

How the hell do you know the efforts the team is making in negotiations? Do you have hidden cameras? Did you ever stop and think taht PG may have given Pacioretty's camp a bit more money to add a 2nd year, that way if he keeps progressing to 50-55 or more points in 2012-2013 that he'll be a big bargain at a 1.65 cap hit rather than having to pay him 3.5-4 mil per year?

Old
06-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Maxpac

Quote:

Halpern was more productive here just because of 1) a hot start, and 2) Boston had their top 6 healthy all year + WAAAAYYYY more depth up front then we did. At the end of the year they had Tyler Seguin, Jordan Caron, Micheal Ryder and Rich Peverly who could step up in a top 6 role if an injury happened. We had Travis Moen and Jeff Halpern. Hamrlik has no specialty whatsoever on the team and is not a top 3 defensmen anymore, to me that's a jersey filler. All of our other D's have specific tasks.

Maybe it's you who should get your head out of the stat sheets and watch the game....

Old
06-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Did Vancouver or Boston have any Tom Pyatt's or Jeff Halpern's on their bottom 6 lines?
Daniel Paille?

Old
06-22-2011, 08:02 AM
habitue*

If they try so hard to re-sign Hamrlik, it definitely means that Wiz is out of the picture and MAYBE Markov, too.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:03 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

I don't think the free agent market is that deep for d-men and it could be that Gauthier has a feel for what other teams plan to do with their UFA d-men in terms of either re-signing them or letting them go because they already sense their price tags will be too high to retain.

It's been rumored that Ehrhoff, Hejda and Bieksa are hoping to be re-signed. There are teams that need help or experience at the D position. Wiz is no guarantee. Maybe Gauthier senses he could move Spacek and taking Hamrlik off the market would increase those chances. If Gauthier can trade Spacek without giving up too much and re-sign Hamrlik I think it's a good move.

I think Hamrlik is still undervalued by a lot of fans here. The Habs' have made the playoffs four years in a row with him on the roster and without Markov a good stretch of that time. He's had some rough games in the playoffs but he's had some very good ones as well.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
You're really on a role this morning...

The quality of your posts are somewhere between the toilet and the septic tank.

The fact that Halpern could step into the top 6 and his line was productive showes his value and versatility. When you get a guy like that for 600k, it's a pretty ridiculous return on investment. If you can't see taht he was a more productive NHLer than Campbell Paille and Thornton then you're the "retard".

Old
06-22-2011, 08:06 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Of course, he's gonna have a contract he's dating a Desmarais girl.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:10 AM
habitue*

Quote:

The fact that Halpern could step into the top 6 and his line was productive showes his value and versatility. When you get a guy like that for 600k, it's a pretty ridiculous return on investment. If you can't see taht he was a more productive NHLer than Campbell Paille and Thornton then you're the "retard".
Halpern was a valuable contributor, but the Habs can certainly live without him in the line up.

We need a different profile of players to play on the 4th line.

I am sick and tired to see the Habs being physically abused by Boston, Philly, and TO among others.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:13 AM
Gainey#1*

This organization never ceases to amaze me with some of their moves...

Hamrlik AND Spacek back??

Old
06-22-2011, 08:14 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:

I personaly think that those three guys brought more to their team than Halpern to the Habs. They knew their role (PK + toughness) and were perfect in their domain.

When you have to use a guy like Halpern on your FIRST line, it doesn't mean that Halpern is versatile but that the Habs have a big problem.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:15 AM
neofury*

I'm banking on the fact that Weber has improved already, Emelin is a lot better than people think (how many years pro in the KHL? He's 25) and that they feel Diaz might be ready by seasons end.

A depth signing of Hammer isn't a bad idea where as signing Wiz long term or even Bieksa could actually become our "Brian Campbell" a great player who is disrespected by fans because he can't produce at 100% value and thus takes up necessary cap space.

I personally love Wiz/Bieksa but if Gauthier feels we could be building from within which is a strength for any NHL team (cheap players who produce ftw) then I stand by Gauthier.

So far all the signings or rumored to be close to done signings = have been good terms, good years, etc. He's not handcuffing us but at the same time keeping our options open. I like this and I think we may actually have a gem in Pierre Gauthier. We'll have to wait and see but ever since he's come on board I've been thrilled.

I actually have faith that Wisniewski's rights may be traded for an asset possibly a desperate team gives up a 2nd or 3rd. That's quality considering we had Wiz all season when we needed him. Let's wait to see what PG can pull off!

Closed Thread