HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVI

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2011, 09:04 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Who wouldn't want Regehr here, but for some reason I'm skeptical that he'll waive for D.C..
Why wouldn't he?

Semin for Regehr makes a lot of sense for Washington. I don't know about the Flames...

Old
06-21-2011, 09:08 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
This is not true. Varly was a stone wall against the Rangers and the first 6 games against the Pens. The refs jobbed the Caps in Game 3 or Varly would've won that series in 5-6 games. Varly and the team were much better that year than this year. It's not even a comparison. Varly was good against Montreal, too. But he got Halak'd, as txpd used to say.
A. So was Neuvirth against the Rangers. You're forget it was more or less the same offense-starved team, except this past season, they were slightly better. Varly had two shutouts in 2009 to Neuvy's one, but Neuvirth, even with a defense-oriented system, faced far more shots. Varlamov made 138 saves on 145 shots in 6 games, while Neuvirth made 140 saves on 148 shots in 5 games. In fact, in Game 7, Varly only faced 15 shots from the Rangers, and he still let 1 in.

The idea that Varlamov can steal a series is a fallacy, because he's never done it. If the Rangers don't count for Neuvirth, then they don't count for Varly, because Neuvirth performed better than Varly did two years ago.

B. Varlamov was not a stone wall against the Penguins. He performed well considering the barrage he was under, but he was wearing down well before Game 6. In Game 4, he faced 28 shots on goal, but lost the game by allowing 5 goals. He was better in Games 5 and 6, allowing 4 goals on 42 shots for each game, but if you're holding Varlamov up as a guy who could have won the series on his own, he lets in less--like Thomas did against the Bruins.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:22 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
Easy to say that now but had BB gone back to Theo, the whole board and media would have ridiculed him. The team had ZERO confidence in Theo so Varly was the right and only choice IMO.
Definitely guilty to hindsight 2020, but I know the record here shows some here threw out the idea of going to Theo. We were all enamored by Varly and it was tough to throw out old Theo's name, But he was our number 1 all year. He played one full game maybe two in the playoffs. Its not rocket science, again, looking back. We barely used our number 1.

We all saw a succession of goals where Varly looked bad. one per game, out of no where. He looked tired or slow on the glove. We turned a blind eye as no one dared dog the kid, he basically won that Rags series by himself. We owed it all to him.

Still, it was bolder to go to Varly in game 2 (or 3), than it was to go to Theo in game 14. IMO obviously. They dont call him big balls for nothing.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Why wouldn't he?

Semin for Regehr makes a lot of sense for Washington. I don't know about the Flames...
B/c he's been with one team and out west his whole career. Sometimes it goes beyond moving to a contender.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:27 PM
txpd

nevermind

Old
06-21-2011, 09:44 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
From what I remember of the Pens series Varley let in a lot of un-timely softies in a couple of those games, not just Game 7. Same with the Montreal series.

As for Neuvy, he got hung out to dry VS Tampa, IMO. And to me, durability is a big thing. I know winning back to back Calder Cups isn't the same as the SC, but Neuvy's run those two years proved the kid could anchor his team through two long playoff runs. Varley can't say the same thing, and probably never will.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:53 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
B/c he's been with one team and out west his whole career. Sometimes it goes beyond moving to a contender.
That's fair. But most veteran players are willing to change towns for a chance at a Cup.

Sundin and Kaberle (ironically) are a couple of exceptions.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:19 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
They didn't win because of goaltending either.
Was there one series all playoffs that goaltending won singlehandedly?

Next complaint?

Old
06-21-2011, 10:21 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
A. So was Neuvirth against the Rangers. You're forget it was more or less the same offense-starved team, except this past season, they were slightly better. Varly had two shutouts in 2009 to Neuvy's one, but Neuvirth, even with a defense-oriented system, faced far more shots. Varlamov made 138 saves on 145 shots in 6 games, while Neuvirth made 140 saves on 148 shots in 5 games. In fact, in Game 7, Varly only faced 15 shots from the Rangers, and he still let 1 in.

The idea that Varlamov can steal a series is a fallacy, because he's never done it. If the Rangers don't count for Neuvirth, then they don't count for Varly, because Neuvirth performed better than Varly did two years ago.

B. Varlamov was not a stone wall against the Penguins. He performed well considering the barrage he was under, but he was wearing down well before Game 6. In Game 4, he faced 28 shots on goal, but lost the game by allowing 5 goals. He was better in Games 5 and 6, allowing 4 goals on 42 shots for each game, but if you're holding Varlamov up as a guy who could have won the series on his own, he lets in less--like Thomas did against the Bruins.
Thank you for correcting his revisionist history...

Old
06-21-2011, 10:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Why wouldn't he?

It made sense before Wideman (and the development of Carlzner), not so sure now....unless we're trading away a top 4 defender....dunno...

Old
06-21-2011, 10:26 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Like I said many gave Varly a free pass in Pitt since he pretty much was the only reason we were there. Few that saw him falling apart dared even speculating on a goalie change. Hard to remember those after all the good he did. The save on Sid is one.

I dont blame that series loss solely on him though. Our defense was injured and ineffective almost the entire series. Poti and Erskine could barely skate. Green was down for the count. I think Mo had a groin or something. Semin, the wrist. Ovi missed on that breakaway.

Oddly our best dmen that series Pothier and Jurcina, both scored. Bruce still wouldnt sit Green for a moment off the PP even though he couldnt shoot. Nor reduce his insane TOI.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:43 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

That had to have been one of the worst defenses in NHL playoff history. And 3(?) of them had broken feet. Going up against a healthy Penguins squad. Washington had a wretched time clearing the zone all year, in the conference semis, they just plain didn't. Just saying.

Interestingly, the Capitals' response to the utter failure of the defense was to re-sign Morrisonn and Jurcina.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Semin for Regehr makes a lot of sense for Washington.
Not really. Not unless you think McPhee would build a second line that wouldn't be crippled or thoroughly mediocre as a result. Regehr is better than Hannan but under the circumstances they might as well just re-sign Hannan for less. Of course, the clock is ticking on him as well so...

Old
06-21-2011, 10:59 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Not really. Not unless you think McPhee would build a second line that wouldn't be crippled or thoroughly mediocre as a result. Regehr is better than Hannan but under the circumstances they might as well just re-sign Hannan for less. Of course, the clock is ticking on him as well so...
Semin for Regehr saves them 2.7m in cash and upgrades their D with a player on a good contract; and I like Hannan.

Assuming they re-sign Laich, it leaves them enough $ to bring in a 40-50pt player to replace Semin. If they don't re-sign Laich, they have enough for a couple of 2nd liners.

If they get rid of Poti and/or Schultz they can afford another C.

This scenario is far preferable than the status quo.

Old
06-21-2011, 11:54 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I give Neuvy credit for his coolness under pressure, but he's a league average goalie and I don't see him getting much better than that

Old
06-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

What I don't like about Fiddler/Reasoner and so on - they will not help much if NB or MJ will get injured (that would be like Belanger+Semin).

So if GMGM is going cheap #3C route he should sign Perreault (when he is losing his waiver exempt?) or have another player who is capable of being the temporary #2C.

So #2C (MJ) will be weak in the dot, on the boards and in experience department. And there will be no injury replacement. Can't be like that.

MP isn't an answer himself.

=> Laich/Jokinen type of center/winger needed (or Handzus-type as #3C).

Or Sjogren is the next best thing =)

PS: btw, http://www.japersrink.com/2011/6/21/...ter-to-succeed

Old
06-22-2011, 12:35 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post

If you knew anything about hockey YOU'D BE IN THE GAME!!!

Seriously though, it comes down to watching the players play. Varly is a thoroughbred. Both he and Neuvy have great sv % stats. But watching them play actual hockey, Varly is clearly the superior athlete. And more, he is chomping at the bit to show his stuff. He has a champion's attitude. Neuvy is a solid workhorse but he's never gonna win the Kentucky Derby.

None of them will win w/ Boudreau as the jockey and McPhee as the **** shoveler.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:48 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I give Neuvy credit for his coolness under pressure, but he's a league average goalie and I don't see him getting much better than that
I feel like with the new system Nuevy can get into that Top 5 GAA and hey even if he can't it still doesn't mean we can't win the cup. Andre-Fluery was 23rd in GAA with a 2.67 when Pitt won the cup and that average only improved to 2.61 during the playoffs. This was Nuevy's first full year in the show and for a rookie he held up remarkably well.

Also keep in mind that his post all star GAA of 2.31 would have been high enough for 8th in the league in GAA. Of course it's not fair to compare year long numbers to one players post all star numbers but you get the point.

Then again Varly's numbers had him 4th in GAA and 5th in save percentage, which is offset by the fact that he played easily the fewest amount of games among the "Top 10 Goalies" 27 games for Varly vs 8 other goalies that played no less then 57 games.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 06-22-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Old
06-22-2011, 06:17 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
do you honestly think he is topped out at 22 as a rookie?

Old
06-22-2011, 06:25 AM
txpd

Quote:
If you knew anything about hockey YOU'D BE IN THE GAME!!!

Seriously though, it comes down to watching the players play. Varly is a thoroughbred. Both he and Neuvy have great sv % stats. But watching them play actual hockey, Varly is clearly the superior athlete. And more, he is chomping at the bit to show his stuff. He has a champion's attitude. Neuvy is a solid workhorse but he's never gonna win the Kentucky Derby.

None of them will win w/ Boudreau as the jockey and McPhee as the **** shoveler.
i think that sometimes many here mistake varly's acrabatics with ability and neuvirth's sound positional play with lack of it. by their nature neuvirth often makes hard saves look easy and varly make highlight reel saves when they should not hav been necessary.

i think the degree of difference between them is not nearly so dramatic as their style.
i think its just as likely that neuvirth becomes better as varly learns to stay healthy.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:08 AM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Seriously though, it comes down to watching the players play. Varly is a thoroughbred.
Well based on your horse analogy, as much as Varley has been hurt he would of been put down or put out to stud long ago.

I like both I am just not a fan of the type of negotiating taking place for a new contract for Varley. He's good, could be great, but durability is a significant issue. If Varley will sign a deal similar to Neuvy, fabulous. If he won't, then let him head back to the KHL or ship him out.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:25 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I have no stats to back it up, but before we became defensively aware in december, I always thought our best chance of posting a shutout was with Varly in net. I agree with Atlas, and its not just acrobatics deceiving us. I have referred to him as the Ferrari for some time now. Neuvy is a Toyota Corolla, Holtby is a Ford VelociRapter 800.

Its very difficult to grade a goalie with different defense or team style, or on a strong defensive team. Hannan steadied the entire core this year, making Neuvy's job a bit easier vs the Rangers than say Varly vs the Rags.

Yeah BCF, that defense against Pitt was horrible. Maybe horrible healthy. Man that was ugly and hard to watch. Its amazing Varly held up as long as he did. Its like Poti couldnt even pass to go along with not skate. Erskine looked like me learning to skate. Green was playing with one arm or two wet noodles and a pillow for a shoulder. Still not sure what Bruce was thinking riding him so much with 2RD's at least healthy behind him.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I have no stats to back it up, but before we became defensively aware in december, I always thought our best chance of posting a shutout was with Varly in net. I agree with Atlas, and its not just acrobatics deceiving us. I have referred to him as the Ferrari for some time now. Neuvy is a Toyota Corolla, Holtby is a Ford VelociRapter 800.

Its very difficult to grade a goalie with different defense or team style, or on a strong defensive team. Hannan steadied the entire core this year, making Neuvy's job a bit easier vs the Rangers than say Varly vs the Rags.

Yeah BCF, that defense against Pitt was horrible. Maybe horrible healthy. Man that was ugly and hard to watch. Its amazing Varly held up as long as he did. Its like Poti couldnt even pass to go along with not skate. Erskine looked like me learning to skate. Green was playing with one arm or two wet noodles and a pillow for a shoulder. Still not sure what Bruce was thinking riding him so much with 2RD's at least healthy behind him.
LMAO, I thought this was you trying to be funny by using some crazy futuristic name. That !@#$ is badass! and I'm not a pick-up guy.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:11 AM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Well based on your horse analogy, as much as Varley has been hurt he would of been put down or put out to stud long ago.

I like both I am just not a fan of the type of negotiating taking place for a new contract for Varley. He's good, could be great, but durability is a significant issue. If Varley will sign a deal similar to Neuvy, fabulous. If he won't, then let him head back to the KHL or ship him out.
Exactly.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:15 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
LMAO, I thought this was you trying to be funny by using some crazy futuristic name. That !@#$ is badass! and I'm not a pick-up guy.
I am not either but that thing is a angry rhino on steroids.

From one of my favorite movies.. big is back. because bigger is better. An american tradition. lol.

Closed Thread