HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cal O'Reilly re-signed

Old
06-22-2011, 08:37 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Ok Goc and O'Reilly back. Why not try Fisher or Legwand at the wing? I also agree Geoffrion is in Milwaukee to add to the forward depth.

Goc, O'Reilly, Fisher/Legwand and Smithson.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:43 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Ok Goc and O'Reilly back. Why not try Fisher or Legwand at the wing? I also agree Geoffrion is in Milwaukee to add to the forward depth.

Goc, O'Reilly, Fisher/Legwand and Smithson.
Ottawa fans say Fisher has ALWAYS played better at wing, but has it in his head that he's a center...so...does Trotz push the issue?

Geoffrion, IMO, should be in Milwaukee working on his offensive game. He's a good energy player at the moment, but if he's ever going to be more than just another 3\4 liner, he needs to work on the skill aspect.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:49 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Ottawa fans say Fisher has ALWAYS played better at wing, but has it in his head that he's a center...so...does Trotz push the issue?

Geoffrion, IMO, should be in Milwaukee working on his offensive game. He's a good energy player at the moment, but if he's ever going to be more than just another 3\4 liner, he needs to work on the skill aspect.
while this makes sense im beginning to wonder if maybe its a fallacy that playing on a top line in the AHL prepares you more than bottom line minutes in the NHL.

I am beginning to think that playing at NHL speed, against NHL caliber goalies and defenses, eben on a lower line with a checking role, is a better way to make the last jump.

it sure seems like detroit brings their young scorers up and keeps them on lower lines initially and then they graduate to scoring slots as they become available.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Top 6 Spaling

So our centers are Legwand, Fisher, Goc, O'Reilly, Smithson, Spailing, Wilson, and Geofrion. I highly doubt there is a team with a better #8 center than Blake.....

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Good, cheap move. This roster has a better makeup with Cal O than without him....that's simple math. I'd much rather go with a cheap offensive oriented player with a little upside than an unknown quantity, two-way player off the scrap heap like we usually get for the same dollar amount.

More significantly, I'm glad that Poile is getting Cal O and (if the news report is true)probably Goc to address the center position. One of the main fears I had going into the off season was that Poile would count on Lombardi coming back and/or do nothing because the Preds have so much money tied up in a questionable player. I'm really glad to see Poile has apparently decided to go ahead and plan the roster without Lombardi and then if he actually does come back (which I don't believe for a second), so much the better.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:16 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Peverly was given a lot of top 6 time. I'm sick of all the lamenting of his departure.
I don't know why we are lamenting his departure either. He's averaged a little over 45 points per season since we got rid of him. I think he's more proof that, like in basketball, players will score when given prime ice time. I remember Patric Kjellberg having a similar run, era/team adjusted, in the Preds first 3 seasons.

Peverly is a good player, but he's nothing special and wouldn't be anything groundbreaking on the Preds. It stinks to lose quality players for nothing, but his impact on this team wouldn't be near as great as it was for Atlanta. He'd be more like he was for the Bruins, where he scored 19 points in 48 games.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
More significantly, I'm glad that Poile is getting Cal O and (if the news report is true)probably Goc to address the center position. One of the main fears I had going into the off season was that Poile would count on Lombardi coming back and/or do nothing because the Preds have so much money tied up in a questionable player. I'm really glad to see Poile has apparently decided to go ahead and plan the roster without Lombardi and then if he actually does come back (which I don't believe for a second), so much the better.
Exactly. Lombardi can be a big part of this team going forward, but he's a huge question mark in terms of his health. You can never have too many centers with this squad. Many have secondary positions that they can play just as easily, which allows for more experimentation. Not that Trotz could switch up lines any quicker. I would love to see Fisher played on the wing. Watching alot of Toronto/Ottawa rivalry games in my area, he was much more dynamic at that position.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Legionnaire11

O'Reilly continues to improve every season, just like he did in juniors and the AHL. I think giving him another season is a great move because if he plays at the same level he did to start last season then we're no worse off and he would have some trade value if we needed to move him... if he shows any improvement over last season, then he's clearly our #1 scoring center.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:23 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
I honestly think Lombardi's done.

Cal O' was showing promise last season before he got hurt.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Jarnberg

O'Reilly is a playmaker and not a scorer and thus will need to be paired with players who will shoot the puck in order to be successful. He was playing very poorly when he got injured and was on an 11 game pointless streak.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:30 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
I think he may be done to

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:53 AM
glenngineer

I think with Cal he's continued to improve at every level as someone said earlier. I think having a full year at the NHL level will help him. He will continue to develop consistency. In that he shouldn't go on major pointless streaks. I think he's a really good playmaker and to be honest, one of our best ones. SK is another amazing playmaker. These guys see things other guys don't on the ice and have the ability to squeeze a puck through a small space. He's also decent on the defensive side of things. I know we need scorers but guys who can get the puck to guys in good scoring spots is a good thing too.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post

Cal O' was showing promise last season before he got hurt.
He started hot, but had cooled off in a major way at the time of his injury. It's not a huge risk, depending on the money, but chalking him up as an automatic contributor is probably unwise as well.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I wonder what the contract looks like for Cal. Him re-signing was pretty much a given. Also wonder how he'll do without Sullivan... They seemed to have a lot of chemistry.

Goc will probably test the free market. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go elsewhere to get more ice time or even a better contract.

Lombardi... I remember everyone saying Sullivan was done too Yeah, it doesn't look good for him. But I'm gonna guess he makes a mid-to-late season comeback attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

I don't remember Ottawa fans saying this. Much like Legwand, he could fill in on the wing in a pinch, but his skill set is best utilized at center. It's not like I polled a ton of them though.

Regardless, neither ORLY nor Goc are good enough to steal the center position away from Fisher or Legwand IMO. I only move them to wing as a last resort situation. I don't go into the season with that plan unless I have to.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:29 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I remember a few Ottawa fans saying that if you have the center depth to play Fisher at the wing he is able to contribute more offensively, which makes sense considering the different defensive roles centers and wings have. Wouldn't mind seeing him or Legwand get a shot to play the wing.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 02:07 PM
token grinder

is there an official link for this yet? Poile very well could have mis-spoke

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:23 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

dont know where this leaves Goc now....

CantbeatzPekka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:36 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
dont know where this leaves Goc now....
I think it doesn't have as much of an effect on Goc as it does on Ward and Sullivan.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:38 PM
braindead

[QUOTE=SmokeyClause;33831043]I don't know why we are lamenting his departure either. QUOTE]

Who's lamenting Peverly's departure? Not me. Sorry if you and Enoch were confused. I made a joke comparing CalO to two similar cases of late... Pevs and Santo. Neither of those guys could stick here after being given plenty of opportunity, for good reason. Will CalO be the same or different? That's the question.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:33 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Who's lamenting Peverly's departure?
I couldn't see a lament in the thread about Peverley's departure yet two guys jump in to whine that there's too much whining about Peverley's departure. It seemed humorous. I liked your little joke on whether Cal would be boom, or since we signed him...bust...

Back on Cal. I really like this because to me it signals he's healed, without complications. That was a nasty leg injury (explosion) so I have been nervous even though reports were very good, even implying he was nearly ready by season's end. The signing is just one more good report. Cal is developing into a solid skill guy. We can use his puck moving on offense. I liked the way he and Wilson connected on a few plays in the minors, maybe they'll fit on a line eventually, if Wilson remains as a wing.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 06-23-2011 at 08:47 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:51 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I don't remember Ottawa fans saying this. Much like Legwand, he could fill in on the wing in a pinch, but his skill set is best utilized at center.
I think with Fisher's power on his shot plus his toughness he'd make a great wing and could possibly score more. But his defensive skills and speed work well as a center and his offense is ok, so overall I like him at center too.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 06-23-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old
06-23-2011, 09:46 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

To be fair, guys, we have had our share of fans, most of whom don't seem to come around very often anymore, who have cried bloody murder over the Peverley situation. When Santorelli left I couldn't go two posts without reading someone who compared it to "losing Peverley for nothing", and then when Santo put up points while getting ice time on a really bad Panthers team it was a ton of "way to go, Poile. First Pevs, now Santorelli" type posts. I don't think those guys were talking about the post that was clearly a joke.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:48 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
is there an official link for this yet? Poile very well could have mis-spoke
I'm starting to think this is a good question. I'm not so sure I'd call this "confirmed" yet.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:59 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
To be fair, guys, we have had our share of fans, most of whom don't seem to come around very often anymore, who have cried bloody murder over the Peverley situation.
Obviously we did have a lot of that. (I thought and said that Peverley got a bit of a bad rap by some fans who claimed he sucked. He didn't deserve that. Although I don't think I was too bothered by the move except reports we supposedly missed a trade.)

But has that happened recently? No. In the thread? No. But you may be right, it may have been refering to really old news for some reason.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 06-23-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old
06-23-2011, 12:30 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I couldn't see a lament in the thread about Peverley's departure yet two guys jump in to whine that there's too much whining about Peverley's departure. It seemed humorous. I liked your little joke on whether Cal would be boom, or since we signed him...bust...
And then a guy jumps in to whine about whining about whining.

My post was not referring solely to this thread but rather an amalgamation of other threads, other boards, and discussions with Predators fans. I wasn't actually even referring to braindead's post when I said it. Instead, I was using Enoch's post/reply as a jumping off point for my discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
But has that happened recently? No. In the thread? No. But you may be right, it may have been refering to really old news for some reason.
It has happened very recently, as recently as these playoffs and as often (or so it seemed) as every time Peverley did anything of note on the ice.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 06-23-2011 at 12:37 PM.
SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote