HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Brad Richards improve Gaborik's production?

Old
06-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Zats Muccarello
Grinder

vCash: 500
Will Brad Richards improve Gaborik's production?

Most of you know by now that the Rangers are in the hunt for Brad Richards. He really is what our team needs at the current moment a true number one center, but do you think he will improve Marian Gaborik's production? And if he will, what range will we expect Gaborik's numbers to be next seasosn.

I'm also not sold on this because of Richards' age. He may help production early on, but he will definitely want a long term contract so I expect the production of both players to begin to slump in a few seasons.

Zats Muccarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Levitate

Gaborik is signed for three more years, and barring injuries, Richards probably has at least 3 more good years left in him. So yes, he would help Gaborik's production while he's with the Rangers.

That said, I'd assume something closer to 45 goals 90 points out of Gaborik with Richards, but you never know

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:50 AM
bobbyflex

Richards can improve ANYONE's production. Just look at James Neal's stats after he got traded

bobbyflex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Kershaw

I think Richards gives us a huge option to QB the powerplay with quick accurate passes. Perfect for really any player that likes to shoot, I do expect better numbers from Gaborik on the PP, even strength will probably be the same I believe.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:19 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Richards can improve ANYONE's production. Just look at James Neal's stats after he got traded
Richards will improve everyone's production.

Though I still say that if he's acquired, he's paired with Dubinsky and Callahan as he was Paired with Ericksson and Neal in Dallas and NOT Gaborik. Dubinsky - Richards - Callahan would be the Rangers top line freeing up Gaborik's line as the 2nd line and hence getting less defensive attention which would help his stats accordingly.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Xtranova

Simple answer..... Yes!

Gaborik's first season was pretty darn good. And despite the slump last year.. Add Richards and he can be flying. Till now Gaborik has been our gun, missing all bullets. Feed him and he will provide.

It's like bringing an extremely fat man to a eating competition, but the promoter forgot the food. (This results in= The fat man will get cranky. He will not get stimulated, and he might injure himself by trying to hard. However if you throw him a snack every once in a while, he will show some kind of potential).

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Miller Time NYR

Christensen-gaborik.....or Richards-gaborik? Which would u rather. It's going to be a huge help to gabbys game,(if it happens) hes said it himself.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Richards will improve everyone's production.

Though I still say that if he's acquired, he's paired with Dubinsky and Callahan as he was Paired with Ericksson and Neal in Dallas and NOT Gaborik. Dubinsky - Richards - Callahan would be the Rangers top line freeing up Gaborik's line as the 2nd line and hence getting less defensive attention which would help his stats accordingly.
I somewhat agree, I think the lines will be juggled accordingly but Richards will be the #1 center, dubi-Cali will be a tandum regardless an so it'll either be gabby and x around Richards or dubi-Cali

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Vitto79

have to see how they look together at camp but I am willing to bet Richards is an assist guy and Gabby is a sniper. He could get back to 40 this year. He should be healthy

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:47 AM
beastly115

Who cares if he improves Gaboriks production. He improves someones production. Thats all that matters. Put a line of duby-richards-cally as our first line and put Gabby on our second. Two lines that can put up big numbers.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:50 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Brad Richards is a guy who can improve Gaborik's production in three ways:

1- Makes the other linemate more dangerous, teams can't just focus on Gabby.
2- Should be able to get Gabby the puck in tight places, where Gabby's "quick release" can then snipe it.
3- BR himself can pot some goals.

All signs point to yes.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
That's not how it works.

Chemistry. The style of the individual players you put on a line together. Other intangible aspects.

You can't point to any one factor but so many times in the last decade or so two elite talents have ended up on the same team and people have said "wow, XX is going to score so much more playing with YY" only for both players respective production to stay pretty much the same as it was before.

Will playing with Richards improve Gaborik's production over last season's numbers? Yeah, but Gaborik could play with me on a line this year and probably have a better year than he did last year. Will playing with Richards improve Gaborik's number over the 86 points he had the year before? In my opinion, no chance. If the chemistry was there and Gaborik was healthy than I could SEE (no guarantees, but I could certainly see the potential) Gaborik being a consistent 75-80 point player, but improving beyond what he already achieved without Richards? No. Gaborik is not going to be a consistent 85-90 point player.

Edit: To elaborate some, I think it's like this. When Gaborik shows up to play, works to his full potential and is healthy, he can put up 70-85 points on his own, and having Richards doesn't IMPROVE that, but it may make it easier for him to hit the upper end of the scale IF Gaborik himself is ready to show up. What Richards does do, however, that makes him a win/win acquisition no matter what, is turn guys like Dubinsky and Callahan into 60+ point players, so even if he and Gaborik don't "click" or Gaborik's producing on his own, he is improving SOMEONE's production. Moreover, he improves the PP where he plays the point and has tremendous vision. I really don't think elite players improve each other all that much, unless the stars align and they have a magic chemistry together. Gaborik, when he wants to play, can be an 80 point player on his own. I don't think Richards could ever turn him into a 90+ one, but he could help him consistently reach the potential he ALREADY has, as long as Gaborik's work ethic and desire are there.

Last edited by Ollie Queen: 06-22-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Dubinsky - Richards - Gaborik will probably be how the season starts.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:52 PM
chip chipperson*

i think im going to start calling him ben richards

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Orr Nightmare

ESPN is reporting that Richards wants this to be his last contract.

Stay away...

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:55 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
ESPN is reporting that Richards wants this to be his last contract.

Stay away...
of course he does. that really isnt a big deal. were not giving him 10 years.

Old
06-22-2011, 12:57 PM
satrabyk

It better or else im becoming a Det fan if Jagr goes there haha.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
of course he does. that really isnt a big deal. were not giving him 10 years.
Then what are we giving him, 7-8?

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:01 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Then what are we giving him, 7-8?
i really dont think he is going to get more than 6.

Old
06-22-2011, 01:01 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
That's not how it works.

Chemistry. The style of the individual players you put on a line together. Other intangible aspects.

You can't point to any one factor but so many times in the last decade or so two elite talents have ended up on the same team and people have said "wow, XX is going to score so much more playing with YY" only for both players respective production to stay pretty much the same as it was before.

Will playing with Richards improve Gaborik's production over last season's numbers? Yeah, but Gaborik could play with me on a line this year and probably have a better year than he did last year. Will playing with Richards improve Gaborik's number over the 86 points he had the year before? In my opinion, no chance. If the chemistry was there and Gaborik was healthy than I could SEE (no guarantees, but I could certainly see the potential) Gaborik being a consistent 75-80 point player, but improving beyond what he already achieved without Richards? No. Gaborik is not going to be a consistent 85-90 point player.

Edit: To elaborate some, I think it's like this. When Gaborik shows up to play, works to his full potential and is healthy, he can put up 70-85 points on his own, and having Richards doesn't IMPROVE that, but it may make it easier for him to hit the upper end of the scale IF Gaborik himself is ready to show up. What Richards does do, however, that makes him a win/win acquisition no matter what, is turn guys like Dubinsky and Callahan into 60+ point players, so even if he and Gaborik don't "click" or Gaborik's producing on his own, he is improving SOMEONE's production. Moreover, he improves the PP where he plays the point and has tremendous vision. I really don't think elite players improve each other all that much, unless the stars align and they have a magic chemistry together. Gaborik, when he wants to play, can be an 80 point player on his own. I don't think Richards could ever turn him into a 90+ one, but he could help him consistently reach the potential he ALREADY has, as long as Gaborik's work ethic and desire are there.

I agree, great post.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:09 PM
skroob**

Its not just about them playing together. Even on different lines, it should help one or the other get more open ice time against 2nd pair D-men.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:19 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I would wager my left hand that he would be playing with Gaborik. It makes absolutely no sense for that not to be the case. Gaborik DESPERATELY needs someone like Richards. Everything about Gaborik will be better with Richards. The likelihood of injuries will go down tenfold, because Gaborik won't be carrying the puck, and thus, opposing players will not have nearly as many opportunities to physically abuse him lest they get sent to the box.

Gaborik will also face a dropoff in coverage from opposing defenses because now they won't be able to converge and centralize their focus in their own zone on him. Taking him out of the play last season was very, very easy. There was no one else to worry about on the ice with him. Now, Richards and Dubinsky will be on the ice with him, and teams won't have the option of ignoring any of them.

Free of the responsibility of being the playmaker (something Gaborik is not and should not be), he can now do what goalscorers do best: disappear and reappear in the nick of time for a perfect pass. Even if he wasn't bogged down with playmaking responsibilities, he wouldn't have been able to do this in the past because the team had no one capable of making those passes through the smallest of passing lanes, sans Del Zotto. There are maybe 5-10 players in the league who do that better than Richards, however. Gaborik will be the beneficiary of a lot of very well-placed assists.

Dubinsky, who makes by far more sense to be the LW than anyone else on the team, will also see a rise in points, especially assists.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

If Brad Richards is on the Rangers next year then yes. Otherwise, no.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by markman34 View Post
Most of you know by now that the Rangers are in the hunt for Brad Richards. He really is what our team needs at the current moment a true number one center, but do you think he will improve Marian Gaborik's production? And if he will, what range will we expect Gaborik's numbers to be next seasosn.

I'm also not sold on this because of Richards' age. He may help production early on, but he will definitely want a long term contract so I expect the production of both players to begin to slump in a few seasons.
Look, seriously, do not bet your mom on it.

If you are old enough, just think of like Gretzky and Brett Hull's short stint together. They did not work well together at all.

Both Richards and Gabby thrive by being "the man" in lack of better words on their line. Like two kids in Eriksson and Neal, who are good players, are the perfect fit for someone like BR. He needs to be able to play the game his way and his way only. And it aint anything wrong with his way, so thats not a problem.

But think of Nylander and Jagr who really worked extremely well together, while Gomez and JJ worked extremely bad. Of course Nyls was not a lot better player then Gomez, the difference was that Nyls was 250% prepaired to be Jaromir Jagrs biatch. He was prepaired to be it 60/24/7/365. He was prepaired to let the plastic surgeon put him to sleep while giving JJ carte blanche in terms of what surgerys that were to be made. You get the point.

JJ could be the man, and he had a talented player in Nyls doing everything and anything he wanted. Gomez understood that JJ was the man alright, but he wouldn't be his *****.

In order for a player like Gabby to score 40-45 goals, you need to let him try his shots all the time, you need to try to find him all the time et c.

A player like Richards needs to -- all the time -- be in control of where the puck should be distributed on the ice. BR's strength is doing a lot with little so to speak. He is the type who with his timing more then anything get like 10% extra out of a low percentage play if you get what I mean.

Natrually Richards has the abilities that would help Gabby and Gabby could finnish BR's passes. But I would not at all be suprised if we saw the two on different lines before we know it 5 on 5.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:43 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Look, seriously, do not bet your mom on it.

If you are old enough, just think of like Gretzky and Brett Hull's short stint together. They did not work well together at all.

Both Richards and Gabby thrive by being "the man" in lack of better words on their line. Like two kids in Eriksson and Neal, who are good players, are the perfect fit for someone like BR. He needs to be able to play the game his way and his way only. And it aint anything wrong with his way, so thats not a problem.

But think of Nylander and Jagr who really worked extremely well together, while Gomez and JJ worked extremely bad. Of course Nyls was not a lot better player then Gomez, the difference was that Nyls was 250% prepaired to be Jaromir Jagrs biatch. He was prepaired to be it 60/24/7/365. He was prepaired to let the plastic surgeon put him to sleep while giving JJ carte blanche in terms of what surgerys that were to be made. You get the point.

JJ could be the man, and he had a talented player in Nyls doing everything and anything he wanted. Gomez understood that JJ was the man alright, but he wouldn't be his *****.

In order for a player like Gabby to score 40-45 goals, you need to let him try his shots all the time, you need to try to find him all the time et c.

A player like Richards needs to -- all the time -- be in control of where the puck should be distributed on the ice. BR's strength is doing a lot with little so to speak. He is the type who with his timing more then anything get like 10% extra out of a low percentage play if you get what I mean.

Natrually Richards has the abilities that would help Gabby and Gabby could finnish BR's passes. But I would not at all be suprised if we saw the two on different lines before we know it 5 on 5.
not sure I agree with that...outside of receiving a neutral zone breakout pass, Gaborik is not much of a puck carrier. If he is free to roam and find his spots, it could be a gold mine for Richards to find him in those spots so he can get that quick release off.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote