HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Mayers, Nichol won't be back with Sharks next season

Old
06-21-2011, 01:22 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Too bad, I would have liked at least one of them retained if only so the bottom line had some veteran presence who'd been with the team. DW sure does seem to like letting his 4th line turn over...

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:53 AM
Sharksfan83

vCash: 500
For 2 minutes a night.. who cares? They weren't played throughout the PO's. I'm all for the young grinders to play until another option pops up through waivers or trade. Wingels could be a flyer

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Admiral*

Hopefully this means DW will go after Konopka. He'd be perfect for the 4th line C role. Excellent face-off man, stands up for teammates, can PK if need be, great in the locker room.

Admiral* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
Why? Huskins was a whipping boy his first year here. He improved towards the end of his 1st year here, and was a solid #6 man. Nothing more, nothing less. This year, Wallin was favored over him and it was just stubborn because Huskins could do that same for less then his cap hit.

Huskins is actually fine in a 6/7 role. He just needs to be paid like it. I wouldn't mind re-signing Huskins if he is willing to do another year @ 1m or so. He can PK, and he can take a hit to make the right play and thats more then we can say about most of the roster.
yawney was a big reason huskins was here. now that he is gone i would not be surprised to see huskins go after. that's why i would mainly be surprised if huskins was resigned.

yea huskins is fine in a 6/7 role, but NOT at $1.75 mil. That is a ridiculous price to pay a defenseman who does not play every night. i would be shocked if he got that on the open market from anyone not trying to reach the minimum. wallin and huskins were both grossly overpaid.

going into next year the Sharks have young defensemen who appear ready to fill that 5,6,7 role. why hold on to huskins when he is clearly not the future? we have our lower end defensemen we need a #1 guy.

Wedontneedroads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

I think they're both fairly easily replaceable. The promise of roster spots lets us see the best of our younger players in camp, which is a bonus.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

I think Desjardins effective but limited time showed the brass that he is ready for the NHL, imo. Hence they deemed Nichol expendable. Mayers is a bit more suprising due to the fact he still has wheels, he can still play physical and is a willing combatant, I guess this means Eager will probably be signed. I'm expecting some pretty interesting Ben Eager moments.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:25 PM
wtfisthis

I dont see how signing Huskins is even an option. Even at league minimum, he isnt worth it.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:37 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNK View Post
I think Desjardins effective but limited time showed the brass that he is ready for the NHL, imo. Hence they deemed Nichol expendable. Mayers is a bit more suprising due to the fact he still has wheels, he can still play physical and is a willing combatant, I guess this means Eager will probably be signed. I'm expecting some pretty interesting Ben Eager moments.
My thoughts precisely. I thought that the Mayers-Desjardins-McGinn line was the best fourth line we iced all playoffs, so I was really on the fence about Mayers. I guess it's Eager-Desjardins-McGinn unless Jamie is up to the third line.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:47 PM
hockeyball

I was surprised about Mayers, but aside from his undisciplined play, Eager is by far the more skilled player. He can do everything Mayers can do (except kill penalties, which even Mayers is only 'ok' at) but better. He also fights, and wins, which Mayers was worthless at.

plus, he's an agitator, which the Sharks have historically lacked. Even Nichol toned it down when he came here for some reason. Eager gets under peoples skin and is one of the better agitators the team has ever had.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:46 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
So given in past few years DW has been focused on bringing in solid faceoff men (Manny, Nichol, etc), does this pave the way for the Sharks sign UFA C Zenon Konopka, who was fourth in the NHL in FO% last season? He's 30 years old and coming off not such a great season (but great FO%), and made $600k last season, Sharks can probably easily bring him in for $600-750k. And other that faceoffs, he's also a gritty DW style player.

Wouldn't this be a typical DW move in light of his preference for good FO men?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4U2NV View Post
Hopefully this means DW will go after Konopka. He'd be perfect for the 4th line C role. Excellent face-off man, stands up for teammates, can PK if need be, great in the locker room.
You forgot that Konopka would be very cheap. Konopka just has "DW" written all over him. As I pointed out, DW's history suggests that Konopka would be a target, provided he is still UFA on July 1 (Which I expect).

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:35 PM
5H4RK5

I guess we will be upgrading to more younger or less wear and tear grinders. Thanks for your contributions.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 02:43 AM
Squeeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by RammsteinGT View Post
Translation: We're extending a contract offer to Huskins.

WHY, DW....WHY?!

(I mean, he would have stated that #40 was on the outs with Nichol and Mayers if that was his plan, right?)
This may help us determine whether or not he's going to re-sign Huskins.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...edium=referral

In that article that I provided there, Doug says that he has plans to sign a defenseman (at the bottom of the article he talks about the defense situation), so if he's looking at signing a top 4, or top 6 defenseman he might not want to fork out some extra cash for freaking Huskins of all people.

I will scream if he re-signs Huskins man!! We all know what happened when he re-signed Wallin...Lest we forget...

Last edited by Squeeven: 06-22-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:10 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
Well to quote one book and movie, "So long and thanks for the fish!"

HOOCH2173 is online now   Reply With Quote