HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs to Offer Hamrlik a Contract? (Yyyyikes!) (UPD: Offered 1-yr contract post #683)

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2011, 09:08 AM
ScopeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Their goal-scoring was mostly due to the incompetence of three of the goaltenders they faced. After they went through Price, the best goaltending they faced was .903. .903! You expect better from an AHL call-up.

Their forward unit is okay, but it's not especially deep. Their D, on the other hand... Chara, then a drop to Seidenberg (a #4 D-man), then a drop to a bunch of bottom-pairing guys. It's shallow. And it showed: second-most shots allowed in the league.

Boston is getting way overrated. Especially their D. Wish people would set the hype aside and look at their roster a bit more closely.
They were fifth in the league in goals for in the regular season. They were also the best 5-on-5 team statistically in the entire league. Why would you look at the names on the roster - doesn't it make more sense to look at what they've accomplished?

Old
06-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
You don't get rid of Spacek like a used condom!

You can't bury him in the AHL, you can't trade him and at 3.8M you have no choice but to make him play. Mara was playing way better than Spacek but when Spacek returned from injury, he took his place back on the line up, avereging near 20 min per game, even if he was playing like ****...
It's only 1,5/1,8 above the expected average salary. GMs don't value a 3,8 contract for one year the way you do, especially not when it comes to Dmen, and Spacek's value is certainly not the same as the one prevailing on this board.

A cap at 64 mil, means you have space for 23 players earning an average salary of 2,78 each, and his salary is only 1,05 mil above that. So cap ceiling-wise, Spacek is not a big deal as some people assume. And cap floor-wise, he could also help some teams.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:11 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
They were fifth in the league in goals for in the regular season. They were also the best 5-on-5 team statistically in the entire league. Why would you look at the names on the roster - doesn't it make more sense to look at what they've accomplished?
Wait until they sign both B.Richards and Wiznewski. It will be clearer and we'll hate them even more...

Old
06-22-2011, 09:12 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
I like Hamrlik, don't get me wrong. He seems like a nice guy, and he played well for us over the 4 years.

But it is time to move on and get younger. Having a defense of Subban, Gill, Gorges, Hamrlik, Spacek, Weber, Yemelin is downright ugly.

We had ample opportunity to drastically improve our D-core, get younger/tougher and more mobile.

Outside of Yemelin, this has not been addressed.
Agree 100%. More and more it seems like PG is perfectly happy to have the same team (especially up front) as last year.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:13 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

I'm in if it's under 3M$ but I would be really pissed if he gets something like 3.5-4M$.

Spacek traded or as a depth defenseman
Weber as a versatile depth player (defense and forward)

Old
06-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

What is going to happen when Emelin sucks?

Old
06-22-2011, 09:15 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
It's only 1,5/1,8 above the expected average salary. GMs don't value a 3,8 contract for one year the way you do, especially not when it comes to Dmen, and Spacek's value is certainly not the same as the one prevailing on this board.

A cap at 64 mil, means you have space for 23 players earning an average salary of 2,78 each, and his salary is only 1,05 mil above that. So cap ceiling-wise, Spacek is not a big deal as some people assume. And cap floor-wise, he could also help some teams.
ONLY 1.8M above the expected average for a below average Dman? Sorry but to me, it seems excesive.

EDIT : Any GM would go for a cheaper and young Dman before even thinking about Spacek. Especialy for a 6th/7th D

Old
06-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Joe Cole

I will join those who say Blind Gardien has it right.

I will also go further saying those who prefer Wiz over Hamrlik either forget Wiz's lack of physical involvment, give-away passes across the D zone, and really poor puck carrying the puck between the blues in the regular season.

Hamrlik is older, so if you ask him to play 25 minutes a game all season, he will wear down. Everybody knows that, including Hamrlik. In a limited role, as well as mentoring, Hamrlik is a fine D.

What this says about Diaz, Emelin, Weber Gorges and Spacek will be interesting to follow.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:18 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
Does not compute, does not compute, does not compute

Old
06-22-2011, 09:21 AM
MathMan

Quote:
They were fifth in the league in goals for in the regular season. They were also the best 5-on-5 team statistically in the entire league.
They also had historically high goaltending, and a very high shooting percentage, two elements which are not likely to be sustainable, especially on the offensive side.

The Bruins were among the worst in the league last year for shooting percentage and, correspondingly, one of the lowest-scoring teams in the league. Their true offensive talent is somewhere in the middle.

Quote:
Why would you look at the names on the roster - doesn't it make more sense to look at what they've accomplished?
I am, that's precisely why I'm not impressed. I'm looking at more in-depth stats than most people do, however, which gives a better picture of the how-and-why they ended up where they did.

They were a fairly pedestrian club in terms of puck possession and chance generation, riding unreal goaltending and a very good streak of, let's call it "transient opportunism".

Wandering off-topic though. Suffice to say I think that the Bruins are a poor measuring stick. Compare with Washignton, Pittsburgh, or heck, Vancouver, Detroit and Chicago for a yardstick of excellent team depth.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:22 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
This organization never ceases to amaze me with some of their moves...

Hamrlik AND Spacek back??

you realize that the only way to get rid of spacek is to trade him (as if anyone will take him).

even tossing him into the st-laurent won't won't make his cap hit go away. so calm down...

Old
06-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Impossible!!

*Barrage of inconsequential arguments regarding his play outside NA*

Old
06-22-2011, 09:27 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
I will join those who say Blind Gardien has it right.

I will also go further saying those who prefer Wiz over Hamrlik either forget Wiz's lack of physical involvment, give-away passes across the D zone, and really poor puck carrying the puck between the blues in the regular season.

Hamrlik is older, so if you ask him to play 25 minutes a game all season, he will wear down. Everybody knows that, including Hamrlik. In a limited role, as well as mentoring, Hamrlik is a fine D.

What this says about Diaz, Emelin, Weber Gorges and Spacek will be interesting to follow.
I agree too. Hamr's physical play gets that much more emphasized if he's slotted in the 2nd or 3rd pairing. We have to think about replacing that if we let him walk, and PG must be a little doubtful Yemelin will fill those shoes right away. He hits, yeah, but Hamr remains a rock in the crease. I remember reading a quote from a player saying Hamr is one of the guys it hurts the most to play against in the entire league. Anybody remember who that player was?

Old
06-22-2011, 09:28 AM
habitue*

Quote:
He will go back to the KHL.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
ONLY 1.8M above the expected average for a below average Dman? Sorry but to me, it seems excesive.

EDIT : Any GM would go for a cheaper and young Dman before even thinking about Spacek. Especialy for a 6th/7th D
Some do, some don't. Some need experience, some need a cheap contract. Stop pretending you know how ALL GMs think, as they are all different, working with different situations. You qualify him as 6th-7th D, yet he's probably seen more like a 4th-5th D and has presented strong defensive stats in those two season on a strong defensive team, while being overplayed. Some GMs really go for that kinda player, no matter if he cost 1 mil more than he ought too, with the space available this year, 1 mil difference isn't going to stop that many teams who have that need, and there will be teams with that need, there always is.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:33 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Some do, some don't. Some need experience, some need a cheap contract. Stop pretending you know how ALL GMs think, as they are all different, working with different situations. You qualify him as 6th-7th D, yet he's probably seen more like a 4th-5th D and has presented strong defensive stats in those two season on a strong defensive team, while being overplayed. Some GMs really go for that kinda player, no matter if he cost 1 mil more than he ought too, with the space available this year, 1 mil difference isn't going to stop that many teams who have that need, and there will be teams with that need, there always is.
First of all, I'm not pretending anything. I'm just assuming.

Then, I just hope you're right! Be right! Please?

Old
06-22-2011, 09:35 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
you realize that the only way to get rid of spacek is to trade him (as if anyone will take him).

even tossing him into the st-laurent won't won't make his cap hit go away.
so calm down...
This is funny. What is even funnier is that most people don't understand it and have him magically disappear off their dream rosters as if he was thrown in the St Laurent lol.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Pleky Roks

I love seeing people overreact to rumors like this!!

People are dead against re-signing a guy who has been our most consistant and most durable defencemen over the last 4 years....but they have no problem with the rumour offering Markov $5+ million dispite playing only 52 games in 2 seasons.

Who knows....maybe Markov wants too much money and maybe PG can sign Wiz and Hamrlik back for the same price that Markov wants and maybe PG would rather got with Wiz and Subban for our offensive defencemen and let Markov walk away.

All I know is that I'd rather have Hamrlik back in a more limited role than to let him walk away. Hamrlik said he wants to stay in Montreal, the least the team can do is offer him a contract and let him decide.

I'm sick of all the bashing Hamrlik gets. None of it is necessary for a guy who has been a rock on our blueline dispite his age and having to play 25 minutes a game because the rest of our defencemen are injured.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:37 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
This is funny. What is even funnier is that most people don't understand it and have him magically disappear off their dream rosters as if he was thrown in the St Laurent lol.
Spacek is tradable because he has only one year left to his fat contract.

But it is easier to say than to do.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:37 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
why didnt PG keep hammer

that stupid management never learns! mediocrity boston won because of their depth where's our depth rah-rah-rah

Old
06-22-2011, 09:44 AM
neofury*

Quote:
This organization never ceases to amaze me with some of their moves...

Hamrlik AND Spacek back??

Who says Spacek is back? Nobody ever said that. If Hammer, Gorges and Markov are signing I'd bet Spacek would be a #7 or dealt. Just my 2 cents.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:52 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Who says Spacek is back? Nobody ever said that. If Hammer, Gorges and Markov are signing I'd bet Spacek would be a #7 or dealt. Just my 2 cents.
Your #7 cannot be paid 3.8M a year..

Old
06-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
I love seeing people overreact to rumors like this!!

People are dead against re-signing a guy who has been our most consistant and most durable defencemen over the last 4 years....but they have no problem with the rumour offering Markov $5+ million dispite playing only 52 games in 2 seasons.

Who knows....maybe Markov wants too much money and maybe PG can sign Wiz and Hamrlik back for the same price that Markov wants and maybe PG would rather got with Wiz and Subban for our offensive defencemen and let Markov walk away.

All I know is that I'd rather have Hamrlik back in a more limited role than to let him walk away. Hamrlik said he wants to stay in Montreal, the least the team can do is offer him a contract and let him decide.

I'm sick of all the bashing Hamrlik gets. None of it is necessary for a guy who has been a rock on our blueline dispite his age and having to play 25 minutes a game because the rest of our defencemen are injured.
I agree...at 2.5-3 mil Hamrlik is a very solid signing if you play him as a #5 and he steps in to play 22-23 minutes if injuries hit. Without him the last 2 years we probably miss the playoffs. 34 points +6 and 22:17 of ice time is nothing to sneeze at. Blending youth and veterans is the best way to develop those kids, not throwing them to the wolves like we did with Price 2 years ago.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Grant McCagg

I like Hammer..he's an underrated warrior who was asked to perform above and beyond the call of duty the past two years due to key injuries. On many nights he played the most minutes and faced the team's best players...yet the team overachieved IMO. He may have ran out of gas to a certain extent, but that's mainly because he was overworked.

With Gorges and Markov presumably back and healthy and PK moving into the top three, Hamrlik won't have to play huge minutes or play against the top players all of the time, and he won't be as worn down. Hammer is smart, strong and competitive...he's got another couple of decent years left in him, and will be invaluable in the dressing room and such...a veteran leader.

If the Habs have the cap room to go into the season with a surplus of defenceman I say go for it. Some team will suffer injuries on defence in training camp or early in the season (perhaps even the Habs), and suddenly Spacek will look quite intriguing.

Who knows..maybe Spacek and a fourth rounder could be dealt at the draft for a second round pick. Montreal could use another top 60 pick that's for sure.

A lot of people around here don't seem capable of thinking outside the box, or thinking a couple of moves ahead like any good chess player. One move never defines things unquestionably, there's no checkmate in hockey, there will always be other moves.

Markov
Gorges
Subban
Gill
Hammer
Emelin
Diaz
Weber

Seems like a deep. talented, diverse group with a good mix of veterans and youth...four vets and fours kids.

Last edited by Grant McCagg: 06-22-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Gorges for Spacek...duh
Old
06-22-2011, 09:59 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I like Hammer..he's an underrated warrior who was asked to perform above and beyond the call of duty the past two years due to key injuries. On many nights he played the most minutes and faced the team's best players...yet the team overachieved IMO. He may have ran out of gas to a certain extent, but that's mainly because he was overworked.

With Gorges and Markov presumably back and healthy and PK moving into the top three, Hamrlik won't have to play huge minutes or play against the top players all of the time, and he won't be as worn down. Hammer is smart, strong and competitive...he's got another couple of decent years left in him, and will be invaluable in the dressing room and such...a veteran leader.

If the Habs have the cap room to go into the season with a surplus of defenceman I say go for it. Some team will suffer injuries on defence in training camp or early in the season (perhaps even the Habs), and suddenly Spacek will look quite intriguing.

Who knows..maybe Spacek and a fourth rounder could be dealt at the draft for a second round pick. Montreal could use another top 60 pick that's for sure.

A lot of people around here don't seem capable of thinking outside the box, or thinking a couple of moves ahead like any good chess player. One move never defines things unquestionably, there's no checkmate in hockey, there will always be other moves.

Markov
Spacek
Subban
Gill
Hammer
Emelin
Diaz
Weber

Seems like a deep. talented, diverse group with a good mix of veterans and youth...four vets and fours kids.
You forgot Gorges in your list, so it's even more deep!

Closed Thread