HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa Senators 2011 draft preview

Old
06-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Silfverberg and Wiercioch could realistically become much better players than Butler, even though Butler is 4 years older and much closer to making an impact in the NHL.

Silfverberg for example arguably just had a better season at 20 yo in the SEL (a comparable league to the AHL) than Butler did at 24 in the AHL. Plus, Silfverberg is much bigger and expected to be a much better defensive player at the NHL level. Silfverberg was 22nd in points and 8th in goals in the SEL.
Very accurate assessment.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post
If Petersson's recovery goes well, he might, as will Rundblad. Silfverburg is signed but on loan next season to the SEL. I don't think any of the other Swedish prospects are ready.

God, I'm still amazed we got Rundblad for a mid round 1st. His stock has done nothing but rise since then.
It is why teams don't normally trade young prospects, players can change so quickly a year or two removed from their draft year.

St Louis took a risk for a very good Russian kid, Ottawa got very lucky!!!

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 06-18-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old
06-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafite View Post
It will be an interesting situation on defense this year. With Cowan and Rundblad trying to get a job, and at least 6 others on one way contracts, something has got to give. I assume there will only be room for one of those 2 guys, so it should be a good training camp and pre-season.
I think Murray will clear some room on the blue line for both Rundbald and Cowen. These guys will have to have a pretty ugly training camp not to start the season in Ottawa.

Cowen pretty much showed in the AHL playoffs he is ready, and Rundblad has the speed and size to make the adjustment to the NA size rinks.

Old
06-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Rumcajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
It is why teams don't normally trade young prospects, players can change so quickly a year or two removed from their draft year.

St Louis took a risk for a very good Russian kid, Ottawa got very lucky!!!
Very true, but according to Hockeyfutures Tarasenko has a Higher ceiling. Of course HockeyFutures isnt set in stone (Tarasenko is a 8.5 C, Rundblad 8.0 B). But do you guys think this is accurate concerning Tarasenko?

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:37 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanuck619 View Post
Very true, but according to Hockeyfutures Tarasenko has a Higher ceiling. Of course HockeyFutures isnt set in stone (Tarasenko is a 8.5 C, Rundblad 8.0 B). But do you guys think this is accurate concerning Tarasenko?
I like Tarasenko a lot and those of you who watched Russia at World Juniors this year and didn't turn off your TV before the third period saw a glimpse of what he can do.

Factoring into those numbers, let's say those were correct. Those numbers and letters doesn't involve the Russian factor. He might have decided to stay in Russia, or after a year or two in the NHL decide he'd rather be in Russia. It's a bit of a gamble, and even if they assure you at the combine that they're aiming for the NHL, the possibility of easier money and not leaving the home country might be too tempting.

It's risky drafting Russians these days, and even though you can get great players with later picks than you used to, I'm glad Murray is staying away from it.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Valley Boys

Totally agree. Loved what I saw from Tarasenko, but felt a little uneasy when he decided to stay in the KHL this year again. Hope for the Blues he signs next year.

Valley Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 04:27 PM
sens2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boys View Post
Totally agree. Loved what I saw from Tarasenko, but felt a little uneasy when he decided to stay in the KHL this year again. Hope for the Blues he signs next year.
The closer it gets to the Olympics the more pressure he'll have to stay in Russia...

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:22 PM
NHL Dude 120

vCash: 188
I hope for Gods sakes Ottawa gets Huberdeau and Tomas Jurco. Listen i now this may seem stupis but im kinda new to this.
Pros:
. natural chemestry
. both lethal scorers
. potential for a great line one day
. Imagine a second line (LW Jurco C Huberdeau RW Alfredsonn)

Cons:
. Huberdeau may be unattainable but this can be fixed with Ryan Murphy or Sean Coutrier. they may have the potential but there gonna have to work hard.
. Physical Battle: bith of them are gonna have to fill up before their NHL ready.

Imagine our top six(Assume they make it out of training camp)

1st Line: Milan Michalek Jason Spezza Bobby Buttler
2nd Line: Tomas Jurco, Johnathan Huberdeau Daniel Alfredsonn

so what do you think?

P.S. i keep hearing the term NHL ready but can someone explain what it really means and how do you know if a player is NHL ready?

NHL Dude 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:49 PM
sg58

If we draft Jurco, I doubt he'll be here soon enough to play with Alfie.

NHL-ready is just what it sounds like, if someone is ready to make the NHL. As for everything, you'll have to watch players play and make the asessment.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:51 AM
NHL Dude 120

oh yeah huh i didnt think of that but that would be sweet

Old
06-20-2011, 01:18 AM
Rumcajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
If we draft Jurco, I doubt he'll be here soon enough to play with Alfie.

NHL-ready is just what it sounds like, if someone is ready to make the NHL. As for everything, you'll have to watch players play and make the asessment.
Exactly, plus Jurco (in my opinion) is literally the next Robby Schremp.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 01:23 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Dude 120 View Post
I hope for Gods sakes Ottawa gets Huberdeau and Tomas Jurco. Listen i now this may seem stupis but im kinda new to this.
Pros:
. natural chemestry
. both lethal scorers
. potential for a great line one day
. Imagine a second line (LW Jurco C Huberdeau RW Alfredsonn)

Cons:
. Huberdeau may be unattainable but this can be fixed with Ryan Murphy or Sean Coutrier. they may have the potential but there gonna have to work hard.
. Physical Battle: bith of them are gonna have to fill up before their NHL ready.

Imagine our top six(Assume they make it out of training camp)

1st Line: Milan Michalek Jason Spezza Bobby Buttler
2nd Line: Tomas Jurco, Johnathan Huberdeau Daniel Alfredsonn

so what do you think?

P.S. i keep hearing the term NHL ready but can someone explain what it really means and how do you know if a player is NHL ready?
Jurco and Huberdeau didn't really play on the same line. Jurco was on line 2 and the 2nd powerplay unit.

That's not to say I wouldn't draft them if given the chance (Huberdeau at 6, Jurco at 35 or 21 if no one else I like is available at this point), but if you're looking for chemistry Huberdeau+Phillips.

Also Michalek and Spezza should never play on the same line ever again. Well maybe if Michalek played RW instead of left, stupid Clouston

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:23 PM
NHL Dude 120

What i meant by Chemestry is that they play on the same team, a such , theres the potential to get awsome chemestry between them.

Old
06-21-2011, 05:46 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Draft the best avaialable centre at #6 and then at #21 draft the best winger available. Do that and I'll be happy.

06-22-2011, 06:53 AM
John Henkelman
Rookie User

Senate Reform is an interesting video series on how Ottawa's scouting staff goes about their prospect evaluation prior to the draft...

http://video.senators.nhl.com/videoc...1196&id=117810

John Henkelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Bill Muckalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Henkelman View Post
Senate Reform is an interesting video series on how Ottawa's scouting staff goes about their prospect evaluation prior to the draft...

http://video.senators.nhl.com/videoc...1196&id=117810
No it's not.

Bill Muckalt is offline   Reply With Quote