Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Dallas Stars Re-Sign Sceviour, Morin

Old
06-09-2011, 01:22 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Dallas Stars Re-Sign Sceviour, Morin

The Dallas Stars have re-signed Colton Sceviour to a 1 year, two-way contract, and Travis Morin to a 2 year, two-way contract.

http://twitter.com/#!/andrewsdsp/sta...54174904827904

Contract Details:

Travis Morin: 2 years, two-way for $1.05 million ($525,000/NHL per year; $125,000/ AHL per year; with a minimum guarantee of $150,000 each year)

Colton Sceviour: 1 year, two-way for $525,000/NHL ($75,000/AHL)

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|DAL|home

Last edited by BigG44: 06-09-2011 at 03:21 PM.
BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Sweet.

I'm thinking we'll see a lot of Sceviour this season.

06-09-2011, 01:38 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Good. That leaves Bachman as our only remaining significant RFA. It's a very quiet summer on that front, which is nice, especially after the Neal drama.

You know, if you were ever to pick a time to throw out an offer sheet, now might not be that bad. A team can't retaliate against the Stars like the Bernier/Backes situation with Vancouver and St. Louis. Nieuwendyk might not even be around much longer for anyone to hold a grudge against him with the new ownership. Add to that the fact that Dallas is currently a lower-tier UFA destination... just thinking out loud. Of course there's the snag of not having all our picks.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

^Not a bad idea.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=28960379&postcount=1

Plenty of good names out there *coughPARISEcough*.

Or if the Rangers sign Richards, we can hamstring them by going after Callahan or something.

Might as well not even bother with Stamkos, Stevie Y's gonna be all over that. But Schenn's available, as is Bogosian.

Oh, and Doughty and Weber, nothing special there.....

Yep, gonna be an interesting summer to say the least.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 01:50 PM
BigG44

Just a guess since I don't believe he has every commented on this, but I imagine GM Joe would not do that. Some GM's don't feel right about using offer sheets … at least that's what they claim.

Still, Jamie Benn will be a RFA next summer, and he won't be eligible for arbitration. Dallas would have no way to protect the team from an offer sheet. You better be damn certain the player you go after this summer is worth the risk of losing Benn or ending up paying Benn entirely too much money.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:55 PM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Just a guess since I don't believe he has every commented on this, but I imagine GM Joe would not do that. Some GM's don't feel right about using offer sheets at least that's what they claim.

Still, Jamie Benn will be a RFA next summer, and he won't be eligible for arbitration. Dallas would have no way to protect the team from an offer sheet. You better be damn certain the player you go after this summer is worth the risk of losing Benn or ending up paying Benn entirely too much money.
Agreed. Also I really doubt those players really want to come to dallas so youd probably not only have to give up compensation but overpay on a contract.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Sony Eriksson*

RFA question - If an offer sheet is presented and accepted and the value amount stipulates a 1st round pick is that pick from this year or is the year negotiable?

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
RFA question - If an offer sheet is presented and accepted and the value amount stipulates a 1st round pick is that pick from this year or is the year negotiable?
Well the offer sheet can only be sent after July 1st, I believe, so the pick wouldn't be from this year. It would start in 2012, and I'm willing to bet you can't add on any lottery protection.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 03:16 PM
BigG44

The contract info is now available, and I'm thrilled to learn something new today. Also, Morin's contract is actually two years.

I had no idea you could stipulate a minimum payout on a contract. Here's the Stars breakdown on Morin:

Quote:
two-year, two-way contract ($525,000 at the NHL level; $125,000 at the minor league level; with a minimum guarantee of $150,000 each year)
I know it's geeky to love contracts this much, but it's an awesome new thing I've never seen before. The only thing I can think as to why they would structure a deal this way was to prevent Morin from exceeding the AHL salary that makes a player require re-entry waivers to be called up. I never can remember the actual rules to how it works. I know I incorrectly applied it to Segal last year. If this was not the intent, I'm not sure why they didn't just give him the cash upfront as a signing bonus as they did the previous year. I assume now he'll just receive the money after the season assuming he doesn't spend enough time on the NHL roster to pay for this stipulation.

Colton Sceviour's contract numbers are pretty standard:

Quote:
one-year, two way contract ($525,000; $75,000)

Old
06-10-2011, 12:32 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
I know it's geeky to love contracts this much, but it's an awesome new thing I've never seen before. The only thing I can think as to why they would structure a deal this way was to prevent Morin from exceeding the AHL salary that makes a player require re-entry waivers to be called up. I never can remember the actual rules to how it works.
The maximum AHL salary is actually a player can have to not have to go through re-entry waivers is $105k, so Morin's would have to go through re-entry waivers. The situation came up this year when the Bolts signed MA Bergeron mid-season but only gave him a $105k AHL salary to avoid re-entry waivers.

on topic, Morin always has been one of the top 1-2 Fs on his own team through his hockey career. It would be interesting to see what he could do if he gets an extended look next year.

Fleury14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:18 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
The maximum AHL salary is actually a player can have to not have to go through re-entry waivers is $105k, so Morin's would have to go through re-entry waivers. The situation came up this year when the Bolts signed MA Bergeron mid-season but only gave him a $105k AHL salary to avoid re-entry waivers.

on topic, Morin always has been one of the top 1-2 Fs on his own team through his hockey career. It would be interesting to see what he could do if he gets an extended look next year.
I knew it was $105K recently. I was just hoping that it had gone up considering his new salary. The contract makes less sense considering he will likely be given the opportunity to be one of the first call-ups.

Plus, the minimum guarantee seems like a waste. Dallas wouldn't call-up Segal last year until late in the season because of his re-entry status. He had a minimal NHL salary as well. If the team was going to exceed the AHL salary required for re-entry, why not just make the AHL salary $150K?

Old
06-10-2011, 06:37 AM
BigG44

This is bugging me ....

I think Travis Morin might actually still be exempt from regular waivers which would then make re-entry irrelevant.

Using CapGeek's waiver calculator, it says he has 1 year more of waiver exemptions not including 2010-11. If I'm reading the rule right anyway, a player 25 or older signing his first NHL contract is waiver exempt, regardless of NHL games played, for two seasons.

If that is correct, as long as he plays at least 33 or 34 games in the AHL or NHL next season without playing more than 40 NHL games next season, he'll be exempt from re-entry waivers.

His waiver status this year is important because if he does require regular waivers, he has played fewer than 320 professional games which would eliminate him from qualifying for the re-entry exemption.

Old
06-22-2011, 06:51 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Quote:
Stamkos and Doughty are worth the risk of that, no?

Old
06-22-2011, 08:04 AM
Starsdude

lots of Stamkos to Toronto rumors and that TB may even do a deal rather than match-crazy though-Stmkos =Grab schenn + First??

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:56 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Stamkos and Doughty are worth the risk of that, no?
The chances of creating an offer sheet that Dallas is willing to pay and Tampa is not willing to match is very, very slim. Therefore, its reasonable to assume Dallas just drives up the cost of that player, and in the end, they don't come to Dallas. Recent history proves that the team will retaliate by trying to poach Dallas' player, in this case Benn.

So to me … the question is, do you want to take the likely risk of paying Benn way too much for the minimal chance that for some ridiculous reason LA or TB doesn't match? My answer is no.

Old
06-22-2011, 11:00 AM
BigG44

I need a stronger word than minimal. Infinitely small? Less than 1%? You're talking millions and millions of dollars and years and years of draft picks to get it done. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lightning and Kings match even the highest possible offer sheet payout.

Old
06-22-2011, 11:13 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

10 years @ 10 million. Take a bloody hatchet to the system. That's twice what LA and Tampa are trying to pay. It's what Dallas is going to have to spend this year anyway. Extend Benn to a generous deal upon new ownership. It's wildly irresponsible, totally unrealistic, and strangely beautiful.

Old
06-22-2011, 11:16 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
10 years @ 10 million. Take a bloody hatchet to the system. That's twice what LA and Tampa are trying to pay. It's what Dallas is going to have to spend this year anyway. Extend Benn to a generous deal upon new ownership. It's wildly irresponsible, totally unrealistic, and strangely beautiful.
Fine ... I'll say yes to that for Doughty knowing that it will never happen. Plus, even the thought of it pisses off LA fans.

Stamkos just said he's already close to signing with TB so no dice.

Old
06-22-2011, 11:27 AM
BigG44

You might be right .... I still don't believe GM Joe is the type of guy to use an offer sheet, but against a division rival, I'd do it.

At most, Dallas is giving up 4 first round picks ... ol' Dougie Armstrong basically did that to Dallas, and the scouting staff was still able to produce productive NHLers. It's unlikely that any guy Dallas drafts would be as good as Doughty.

I say you cap the offer at $8 million. I imagine Doughty isn't going to sign a 10 year deal, but I guess it's possible. I wouldn't take anything less than 5 years though.

Do I believe this can happen? Never, but you convinced me it's at least a reasonable option that should be considered. I think LA matches $8 million, btw.

Old
06-22-2011, 11:35 AM
English stars fan

What about Yandle...24 year old defensively sound offensive defenseman coming off 59 pts last season.

Phoenix have 3 other RFA to sign this summer as well as a number of UFA. I don't think GMJN does it, but what would you guys make of an offer sheet in the order of 5.5 or 6 mil. Would phoenix match? Would it be worth it to see for the cost of a 1st,2nd&3rd ?

English stars fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:49 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Quote:
You might be right .... I still don't believe GM Joe is the type of guy to use an offer sheet, but against a division rival, I'd do it.
Yeah, there's no way he'd do it to Yzerman. I'm pretty sure they're friends.

I just don't see much downside. If you do it and LA matches, then you just go ahead and give Benn a higher offer than you would have otherwise. No need to live in fear of reprisal. Skip the Neal stage 2-3 million negotiation and give him something in the 4-5 range. He'd sign on that dotted line real quick, that's for sure. It wouldn't be the end of the world to compensate him fairly for the actual contribution he brings to the team.

Besides, even if you don't do the offer sheet thing and let him play next year without an extension you run the very real risk of him putting up the kind of numbers that are going to demand that same deal anyway next summer, regardless of others trying to poach or retaliate.

The very most expensive case scenario: You've got Doughty (10m) and Benn (5m) under contract many years into the future for 15 million, or 23% of the cap. So what? Richards and Ribeiro were making 21.5% of our cap this past season, and closer to 30% of our meager internal budget. Who wouldn't make that trade off? Is there any possible way that team doesn't make the playoffs and turn the franchise around?

Old
06-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by English stars fan View Post
What about Yandle...24 year old defensively sound offensive defenseman coming off 59 pts last season.

Phoenix have 3 other RFA to sign this summer as well as a number of UFA. I don't think GMJN does it, but what would you guys make of an offer sheet in the order of 5.5 or 6 mil. Would phoenix match? Would it be worth it to see for the cost of a 1st,2nd&3rd ?
I don't think that yandle is good enough to sheet doughty really is the complete package

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote