HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs to Offer Hamrlik a Contract? (Yyyyikes!) (UPD: Offered 1-yr contract post #683)

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Gainey#1*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I'm glad you don't hold the keys to the city. Moving Spacek is easy. I just don't think its worth giving up the assets to do so.
Really?

If it was so easy PG would have shipped him out months ago.

Old
06-22-2011, 12:39 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Why keep a young and grittier Wiznewski at 4.5-5M when you can have an old and slow Hamrlik at 4M?

If true, there most be something behind all this.

I just hope we don't have the exact same team as last year. What's next? Pyatt and Halpern?
Agree obviously with what you just said...cept for the Halpern and Pyatt part. I want them in the lineup and honestly, Pyatt long term.

but yeah...WTF is going on. Appreciate Hammer's time here, but no no no. Make Wiz happen somehow, PG, and people will laud you as the greatest genius. Even if you don't, just don't re-sign Hammer unless Spacek is gone.

Old
06-22-2011, 12:46 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
Really?

This may be hard to fathom, but PG may think he is going to be one of the team's best 6 D-men.

Old
06-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
This may be hard to fathom, but PG may think he is going to be one of the team's best 6 D-men.
I think you forgot the

Right?

Right?

Old
06-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Says the guy who was so adamant about Price being a failure not so long ago

I guess you lost that chip on your shoulder?
I wonder how much the real Carey Price would see this poster as "full of himself".

I'm arrogant because I defy posters with some of their ridiculous statements, but him, nah, he's not arrogant, thinking he knows that Price wasn't worth more than Jim Carey , or that management is stupid, ect, not full of himself at all

Old
06-22-2011, 12:49 PM
MathMan

Quote:
I think you forgot the :sarcasm
Not at all. He gets a bad rap that he doesn't entirely deserve, but he's probably better than Gill, especially if he doesn't have to play on his off-side, and he's definitely still ahead of Weber. People forget he was a first-pairing D-man for the Habs at the beginning of the season, on his off-side, and was effective at it (despite much whinging about him).

Mind you, if both Markov and Hammer are on board, someone between Gill, Spatch, and Yemelin is going to get bumped to the pressbox.

Old
06-22-2011, 12:49 PM
TheBuriedHab

At 3 million or under that would give us great cheap depth on defense. Hopefully if he is brought back, he won't be put into a role of playing well over 20 minutes a game again. If he is brought back you have to think Spacek is gone right?

Old
06-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
so basically all you want is a guy who's more media friendly...
No... just not so damn secretive about EVERY small movement going on... It is a large hockey market because MANY are so emotionally invested in the results of this team (I know I am... IMO almost anyone on a hockey blogging site as a Hobby are...)

The media friendly thing doesnt even matter, when you put a fire hydrant in front of it like I'm saying we should. Patrick isn't known for being friendly.

I dont like how this team does not own it's results. If GAINEY, SAVARD, or GAUTHIER came out, and said that one of their goals in the off-season is to find a #1 center who's big etc. 5 years ago... They would have to 'own' that quote. They would actually be REQUIRED to answer why it's taken them so damn long.

As much as I Hate the Leafs... I live in their market... AM 590 had BRIAN BURKE on almost EVERY week talking candidly about his team, and telling it like it is. The ONE thing that I got from that that could NOT be ignored, is he put landmarks down, and said where this team is going and what is to be expected. He succeeds, and fails on his own accord... But he is a man who takes ownership for EACH and EVERY move he makes. I CAN respect that. As much as I am not a fan of his (via all the different teams, & positions he's been involved with... Not on a personal note) He does own his every move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Big, talented centers are very rare, and very hard to get. It would make no sense to divulge any kind of plans regarding acquiring one. Through the draft? It depends of the players available, as well as how they will develop. Through trades? It depends of the other team, and admiting to the media that you are on the hunt for playeer X or Y is a very bad way to start any kind of negociation. A free agent? When was the last time a big, offensive center was available come July 1th?

Also, consider that while your center depth is not equivalent to some other teams in the NHL, it's still light years ahead of what we used to have back in the begining of the 2000 decade.

I think people wrongly assume that Gauthier and his team have no idea of what are their team's needs, and grossly underevaluate the difficulties in fixing this. Instead of explaing management behaviors from the environnement they work in, they accuse them of personnel flaws. This even has a name in psychology, it's called the Fundamental Attribution Error.
I dont dispute they are hard to come by. But can you bring up ONE prospect over the past decade that we drafted that would have even attempted to solve this need?

You say it can be a bad way... But it actually works with the vocal GM's around the league. Case in point, look at the talking piece in Philly the past few decades. He's never been shy about what he wants. He gets it, and gets results because of it. If Clarke wants a BIG center, he said he wants it... then it leaves the ball in the hands of other GM's to come up with offers. Because IMO everybody likes the candy that parks itself on the oppositions shelf.

Totally agree with the Gauthier having a bit of the psychological flaw by now. It happens to many when they stay in a position of power to long.

A few years ago, when I was in College, a great interview was run with a CEO who said that he felt that positions that hold great power should be changed over in 7 years... Because that's when they start getting really dull. That being ssaid, we are about 5 years overdue with this crew.

Old
06-22-2011, 12:52 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I'm glad you don't hold the keys to the city. Moving Spacek is easy. I just don't think its worth giving up the assets to do so.
Really?

lol if you can't even pay attention to my entire post.

Moving him is easy if you throw a 1st rounder in.

You bolded the easy part but you totally ignored the "worth giving up assets" part.

Its not worth it to move him, he isn't that big of a liability and the cap has gone up $2m more than we expected, so its like his cap hit is only $1.83m from what PG was planning 2 weeks ago.

Old
06-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
At 3 million or under that would give us great cheap depth on defense. Hopefully if he is brought back, he won't be put into a role of playing well over 20 minutes a game again. If he is brought back you have to think Spacek is gone right?
Not necessarily.

The cap space is there, and there is always the need for depth at defense, and we would still have space for a top 6 forward at about 5 mil, if Hammer is signed at around 3-4 mil.

If they can get Spacek traded, they'd have space to sign both Hamr and Wiz (3,5 and 4,5 respectively), and still have space for a top 6 winger at 4 mil.

Old
06-22-2011, 12:56 PM
alexstream

Markov
Subban
Gorges
Gill
Spacek
Hamrlik
---
Weber
Emelin

those 8 guys are imo bona fide top 6.

Diaz
(and Carle who's pissed off and tired of waiting)

those 2 guys are imo bona fide AHL reserve.

now now now... WHY THE HECK can't we do the same thing at Offense?

we have 5 offensive guys. FIVE. we have more offensive dmen than we have offensive forwards! this is a real joke. All the while when guys like Jagr admit publicly that they want to play here.

can't we just forget about Hamrlik at 2.5M and sign Jagr with that money? Jagr + Plek... we have more than enough Dmen. We NEED SCORING. SCORING. GOALS. Buts.

We better not see to many 0-1 losses

Old
06-22-2011, 01:08 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
What happened to getting younger and more mobile!!???
Gauthier is an old school GM. He firmly believes that finishing in 6th-8th place during the regular season and then getting eliminated in the Stanley Cup playoffs is a raging success.

The Cup has been missing from Montreal for so long that he thinks most fans have forgotten what its like and dont really care....................and he may be right.

Gauthier and Martin. Ensuring mediocrity year after year.

Old
06-22-2011, 01:17 PM
OneSharpMarble

Spacek is total garbage, negative value and should be the first to go. Hamrlik doesn't belong on the top 4 and if we keep Gill, Hamrlik and Spacek nothing changes and we have the same slow, poor passing, **** defense we had last year.

Yemelin needs those minutes and Weber needs to develop too. This is a gainey move, ensuring the mediocrity continues.

Old
06-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

If the Habs sign Hamrlik I expect Gorges,Spacek or Weber to be trade.

Old
06-22-2011, 01:28 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
If the Habs sign Hamrlik I expect Gorges,Spacek or Weber to be trade.
Gorges won't be traded. Highly respected in the locker room and Jacques Martin thinks the world of him too.

Old
06-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Yemelin needs those minutes and Weber needs to develop too.
The idea of going through a season with a 6 man defense corps is just wrong. It never, ever happens. Yemelin and Weber will get plenty of minutes. At least one of Nash and Diaz will also some NHL games at some point next season.

2010-11 games played for Habs
Hamrlik 79
Subban 77
Gill 75
Spacek 59
Picard 43
Wisniewski 43
Weber 41
Gorges 36
Mara 20
Sopel 12
Markov 7
O'Byrne 3
Nash 2

Old
06-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Gorges won't be traded. Highly respected in the locker room and Jacques Martin thinks the world of him too.
He could be trade IMO. He's a good player but not essential to the team. We need a top4 D-men for the future and he's a great 5-6 D-men.

top4 that we have now

Markov
Subban

5-6 d-men

Gorges
Gill
Weber
Emelin
Spacek.

we can have a better line up without Gorges

Markov-Byfuglien
Subban-Hammer
Gill-Spacek

Weber
Emelin

Old
06-22-2011, 01:35 PM
guest1467

I have said it before, and I will say it again, I'll take Hammer back any day. The guy is a valuable and dependent two way defensemen, he is also excellent on 5 on 5, something that we don't want to go backwards in.

Old
06-22-2011, 01:37 PM
SouthernHab

I wonder if Gauthier watched even one game of the Stanley Cup finals series. If he did, maybe he would have understood that physical and mobile Dmen on the Bruins wore down the more talented forwards on the Canucks.

Youth, skating and physicality. PG is holding on to the old, slow and soft method for not getting another Cup.

I am growing tired of the ineptitude of the Canadiens management. And I am coming to the realization that this is probably as good as it gets. Molson makes his money, fans still buy tickets because hockey is still king in Montreal, we keep mediocre players on the team, we have a mediocre coach and GM and we always finish from 6th-9th place and we always lose in the playoffs.

40 years of being a Canadiens fan and this is what I get to look forward to.......

Old
06-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Darth Joker

With the salary cap going up substantially, Spacek is probably tradeable now.

If nothing else, a team worried about reaching the salary floor might be willing to part with a mid-round pick or middling prospect for Spacek.

I'd be fine with bringing Hammer back, and dealing Spacek for a mid-round pick. That's slightly better than letting Hammer walk, and keeping Spacek, imo.

However, I don't want Hammer, Gill, and Spacek to all be coming back. It'll make our defense way too slow and soft if it happens, imo.

Old
06-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Papa Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Agree obviously with what you just said...cept for the Halpern and Pyatt part. I want them in the lineup and honestly, Pyatt long term.

but yeah...WTF is going on. Appreciate Hammer's time here, but no no no. Make Wiz happen somehow, PG, and people will laud you as the greatest genius. Even if you don't, just don't re-sign Hammer unless Spacek is gone.
Let's see, he does not hit, can't fight, is not gritty, does not have size, and can't score in the ocean. Yeah, Pyatt is definitely someone I would like to bring back long term. Better do it before July 1st cause he might just get signed to an offer sheet!

Old
06-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Papa Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I have said it before, and I will say it again, I'll take Hammer back any day. The guy is a valuable and dependent two way defensemen, he is also excellent on 5 on 5, something that we don't want to go backwards in.
You obviously did not watch the same games I did of him last season. I am beyond myself how people would be able to say in all seriousness that he was the Habs best d-man last year. He was close to awful on way too many nights. I would say only Spacek was worse. Too many unforced errors and giveaways, too many times caught out of position.

And to cap it all off, the way he went down like a ton of bricks against Boston just before their 3rd goal in game 7 was the closer for me. I HOPE the offer is only a courtesy one and we move on. We have enough non-physical, slow d-men that don't / can't join the rush on this team.

Old
06-22-2011, 01:45 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I wonder if Gauthier watched even one game of the Stanley Cup finals series. If he did, maybe he would have understood that physical and mobile Dmen on the Bruins wore down the more talented forwards on the Canucks.

Youth, skating and physicality. PG is holding on to the old, slow and soft method for not getting another Cup.

I am growing tired of the ineptitude of the Canadiens management. And I am coming to the realization that this is probably as good as it gets. Molson makes his money, fans still buy tickets because hockey is still king in Montreal, we keep mediocre players on the team, we have a mediocre coach and GM and we always finish from 6th-9th place and we always lose in the playoffs.

40 years of being a Canadiens fan and this is what I get to look forward to.......
You can whine all you want... but I gotta ask, why didnt you start the bolded sentence with WE still buy... ?

Old
06-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
Let's see, he does not hit, can't fight, is not gritty, does not have size, and can't score in the ocean. Yeah, Pyatt is definitely someone I would like to bring back long term. Better do it before July 1st cause he might just get signed to an offer sheet!
Pyatt is definitely gritty, his 3 main qualities are defensive awareness, grit and speed...but he is not very big for the style he plays, compared to Kelly or Moen who play a similar style.

Old
06-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I will be extremely disappointed if we retain Hammer. I hope its not true.

Closed Thread