HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v15 |Report: Tentative deal reached. Season may begin as soon as Xmas day.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2011, 07:46 AM
  #126
mydnyte
Registered User
 
mydnyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I would do that. I'm getting sick of Bargnani's game anyway. His lack of rebounding or at least lack of motivation defensively is really bothersome. To be honest other than Davis and DeRozan there isn't much else that I wouldn't give up for Parker.
I agree with the lack of motivation defensively ...but, as for rebounding, how is he going to rebound when he's always on the perimeter.

Lets see what a new coach can do, and how he's played/positioned.

mydnyte is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 09:46 AM
  #127
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
I agree with the lack of motivation defensively ...but, as for rebounding, how is he going to rebound when he's always on the perimeter.

Lets see what a new coach can do, and how he's played/positioned.
He is on the perimeter at the offensive end but on the defensive end, he plays up against centers/power forward so there really is no excuse why his rebounding numbers aren't better.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 10:27 AM
  #128
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,304
vCash: 166
I think this is really going to help our younger players develop well. What I mean by this, is that Derozan and Ed Davis, and hopefully Amir Johnson, can develop a better all around game with Casey here. These guys haven't learned a shred of defense since being drafted and now they are going to all about defense.

I really want a guard / forward and not a big. I think we have a log jam at the bigs unless we move one.. I think we need more room before we start drafting there, especially after taking Ed Davis last year.

DirtyDion03 is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 10:51 AM
  #129
SuperSaiyanBeastmode
Registered User
 
SuperSaiyanBeastmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,954
vCash: 500
Twitter rumours saying that tony parker could be going to the kings or raptors and the deal would be for our 5th pick.. Do you do the deal? He's 29, still quality and probably has some good years left. That would be a hard choice for me, but I'll let our gm decide(if it's true)

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 10:54 AM
  #130
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
Twitter rumours saying that tony parker could be going to the kings or raptors and the deal would be for our 5th pick.. Do you do the deal? He's 29, still quality and probably has some good years left. That would be a hard choice for me, but I'll let our gm decide(if it's true)
I'd do it.

Jason Kidd proved this year that even aging PG's can be VERY effective and a big part of a championship team. Look at Derek Fisher for another example of this. Guys like Parker don't grow on trees, and he would be a very good player for us for another 5-6 years.

The fact that there is no player who is a truly "great fit" for the Raps at #5 combines to make this deal very attractive.

topched is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 10:56 AM
  #131
Lebanese Leaf
Registered User
 
Lebanese Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 6,300
vCash: 500
I want Kemba.

Lebanese Leaf is online now  
Old
06-22-2011, 11:02 AM
  #132
Jonathan Toews
Registered User
 
Jonathan Toews's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,781
vCash: 500
I want Jimmer.

Jonathan Toews is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 11:16 AM
  #133
hdtrax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
Twitter rumours saying that tony parker could be going to the kings or raptors and the deal would be for our 5th pick.. Do you do the deal? He's 29, still quality and probably has some good years left. That would be a hard choice for me, but I'll let our gm decide(if it's true)
That'd be a pretty raw deal for SA if you ask me..

hdtrax is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 11:19 AM
  #134
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
Twitter rumours saying that tony parker could be going to the kings or raptors and the deal would be for our 5th pick.. Do you do the deal? He's 29, still quality and probably has some good years left. That would be a hard choice for me, but I'll let our gm decide(if it's true)
I wouldn't. I don't really see how Parker makes his teammates better and has had the luxury of playing with Duncan and Manu on great SA teams. He relies on his quickness and when he starts hitting his 30's, I think he will really slow down. He likely wouldn't be part of a core 3-5 years down the road.

I would do it if they took Calderon off our hands though.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 11:48 AM
  #135
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I'd do it.

Jason Kidd proved this year that even aging PG's can be VERY effective and a big part of a championship team. Look at Derek Fisher for another example of this. Guys like Parker don't grow on trees, and he would be a very good player for us for another 5-6 years.

The fact that there is no player who is a truly "great fit" for the Raps at #5 combines to make this deal very attractive.
Parker =/= Kidd. Kidd is still effective because he's one of the smartest, most skilled PGs in NBA history. Like Steve Nash, he continues to succeed because he relies primarily on his PG skills rather than his athleticism. Tony Parker is all about athleticism.He relies on his quickness to get inside and then distribute once he's drawn the D to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Toews View Post
I want Jimmer.
Noooooo. Not a real PG, can't defend, isn't isn't super quick, and is pretty much a scorer only.Years of similar players topping out as bench scorers and nothing more make me hesitant to consider him.

And it's irrational, but the name "Jimmer" bothers me.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 01:20 PM
  #136
Kamal007
#leak4Jlaw
 
Kamal007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,403
vCash: 50


This video convinced me, I want Kemba.

Kamal007 is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 02:02 PM
  #137
MrLegend28
Registered User
 
MrLegend28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,437
vCash: 500
Brandon Knight or trade for Parker

MrLegend28 is online now  
Old
06-22-2011, 02:35 PM
  #138
johnnyutah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,130
vCash: 500
I view our number 5 pick as an untouchable pick and a major part of our youth movement in toronto. Parker is 30 and I want a young stud to play with derozan throughout his career. When i look at this draft i see an excellent chance for us to get a REALLY good player.

johnnyutah is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 03:14 PM
  #139
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
JMcLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ♫d(-_-)b♫
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 17,498
vCash: 500
Knight or Walker please

JMcLeaf is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 03:27 PM
  #140
Hanta Yo
Bag it up
 
Hanta Yo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,114
vCash: 500
If we are drafting a point guard, hopefully it's Walker. As for Parker, I much rather have a point guard that can grow with most of the other foundational pieces rather than begin to decline when others begin to enter their prime.

Hanta Yo is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 03:35 PM
  #141
Habsfan18
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,278
vCash: 500
Based off of everything I've read, heard, and even from interviews with BC himself, to me it's fairly obvious it will be one of these players:

Brandon Knight
Jonas Valancuinas
Bismack Biyombo
Kawhi Leonard

He seems to be really high on Biyombo.

Knight likely won't be there at 5. Val won't come over until 2012-2013. Biyombo has absolutely NO offensive game and is ridiculously raw. Kawhi is a decent player, but not a 5th overall pick. Hell, in a semi-deep draft he'd probably go around the 12-15 spot.

Not much to get excited about there, IMO.

The 2012 draft will be ridiculously deep with players such as Davis, Rivers, Teague, Sullinger, Barnes, P Jones, T Jones, Lamb, Miller, McAdoo, Gilchrist, Beal etc...

Habsfan18 is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 03:41 PM
  #142
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
JMcLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ♫d(-_-)b♫
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 17,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Based off of everything I've read, heard, and even from interviews with BC himself, to me it's fairly obvious it will be one of these players:

Brandon Knight
Jonas Valancuinas
Bismack Biyombo
Kawhi Leonard

He seems to be really high on Biyombo.

Knight likely won't be there at 5. Val won't come over until 2012-2013. Biyombo has absolutely NO offensive game and is ridiculously raw. Kawhi is a decent player, but not a 5th overall pick. Hell, in a semi-deep draft he'd probably go around the 12-15 spot.

Not much to get excited about there, IMO.

The 2012 draft will be ridiculously deep with players such as Davis, Rivers, Teague, Sullinger, Barnes, P Jones, T Jones, Lamb, Miller, McAdoo, Gilchrist, Beal etc...
I didn't see the interviews and haven't done as much research as I usually do so I'm just wondering why not Walker? Has Colangelo hinted he's not interested in him?

JMcLeaf is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 03:42 PM
  #143
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,377
vCash: 500
Val coming over until 2012/2013 isn't necessarily a bad thing. There is likely going to be a lockout so keep him there for one more year and let him develop. He's not NBA ready yet anyways.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 03:48 PM
  #144
Tonka
Diggles
 
Tonka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 8,318
vCash: 500
I just hope Raptors can get a player that brings the excitement on this team like Vince Carter did.

Tonka is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 03:48 PM
  #145
Hanta Yo
Bag it up
 
Hanta Yo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,114
vCash: 500
The more I read about Biyombo, the more I like him. The motor he has and the potential defensive presence are pretty incredible. Raps need someone like him at C, badly. Also allows Bargs to switch up to the 4 which would probably be best for him. Everything about him as a player is great, the problem is the perception that using the 5th pick on him may be a waste, which it very well could be due to the lack of an offensive game. It should be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

Does anyone know if his age is verified? I know there was some sort of bone test on him, but apparently it may not be 100% valid.

Hanta Yo is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 03:48 PM
  #146
Habsfan18
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
I didn't see the interviews and haven't done as much research as I usually do so I'm just wondering why not Walker? Has Colangelo hinted he's not interested in him?
I can't seem to find the link, but I remember reading on RealGM a few days ago that Kemba appears to be falling on the draft board, with Toronto and Detroit no longer having interest.

I honestly hope it's not true, as I think if we pass on Kemba we'll be talking about it as a pretty bad choice a few years from now.

Check out TSN's NBA page. There's a video of BC talking about the upcoming draft. He mentions Val, Biyombo and Leonard. The video is titled "Wide open."

Habsfan18 is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 03:49 PM
  #147
Hanta Yo
Bag it up
 
Hanta Yo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
I just hope Raptors can get a player that brings the excitement on this team like Vince Carter did.
DeRozan?

Hanta Yo is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 03:53 PM
  #148
Habsfan18
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,278
vCash: 500
Oh, and thanks guys for not running me out of this thread yet. You know, me being a Habs fan and all.

Habsfan18 is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 03:58 PM
  #149
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED
 
Giuseppe Sallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oakville, Ontario.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
DeRozan?
And Kemba Walker, on the same floor

Hate to say it, but I think he'll be the steal of this draft. All the hating towards this kid about his attitude and his size is crazy. The dude is what the Raps need.

Do you really want to take a chance on a big guy?


Last edited by Giuseppe Sallo: 06-22-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Giuseppe Sallo is offline  
Old
06-22-2011, 03:58 PM
  #150
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
JMcLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ♫d(-_-)b♫
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 17,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I can't seem to find the link, but I remember reading on RealGM a few days ago that Kemba appears to be falling on the draft board, with Toronto and Detroit no longer having interest.

I honestly hope it's not true, as I think if we pass on Kemba we'll be talking about it as a pretty bad choice a few years from now.

Check out TSN's NBA page. There's a video of BC talking about the upcoming draft. He mentions Val, Biyombo and Leonard. The video is titled "Wide open."
Damn that interview really makes me think we're going to take Biyombo. If we are in fact targeting Biyombo I hope we trade down a few spots and pick up another asset in the process. It really sucks that we had to drop 2 spots because if we were at 3 I think we would take Knight or Kanter.

JMcLeaf is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.