HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v15 |Report: Tentative deal reached. Season may begin as soon as Xmas day.

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2011, 07:46 AM
mydnyte

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I would do that. I'm getting sick of Bargnani's game anyway. His lack of rebounding or at least lack of motivation defensively is really bothersome. To be honest other than Davis and DeRozan there isn't much else that I wouldn't give up for Parker.
I agree with the lack of motivation defensively ...but, as for rebounding, how is he going to rebound when he's always on the perimeter.

Lets see what a new coach can do, and how he's played/positioned.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
I agree with the lack of motivation defensively ...but, as for rebounding, how is he going to rebound when he's always on the perimeter.

Lets see what a new coach can do, and how he's played/positioned.
He is on the perimeter at the offensive end but on the defensive end, he plays up against centers/power forward so there really is no excuse why his rebounding numbers aren't better.

Old
06-22-2011, 10:27 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
I think this is really going to help our younger players develop well. What I mean by this, is that Derozan and Ed Davis, and hopefully Amir Johnson, can develop a better all around game with Casey here. These guys haven't learned a shred of defense since being drafted and now they are going to all about defense.

I really want a guard / forward and not a big. I think we have a log jam at the bigs unless we move one.. I think we need more room before we start drafting there, especially after taking Ed Davis last year.

Old
06-22-2011, 10:51 AM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

Twitter rumours saying that tony parker could be going to the kings or raptors and the deal would be for our 5th pick.. Do you do the deal? He's 29, still quality and probably has some good years left. That would be a hard choice for me, but I'll let our gm decide(if it's true)

Old
06-22-2011, 10:54 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
Twitter rumours saying that tony parker could be going to the kings or raptors and the deal would be for our 5th pick.. Do you do the deal? He's 29, still quality and probably has some good years left. That would be a hard choice for me, but I'll let our gm decide(if it's true)
I'd do it.

Jason Kidd proved this year that even aging PG's can be VERY effective and a big part of a championship team. Look at Derek Fisher for another example of this. Guys like Parker don't grow on trees, and he would be a very good player for us for another 5-6 years.

The fact that there is no player who is a truly "great fit" for the Raps at #5 combines to make this deal very attractive.

Old
06-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Lebanese Leaf

I want Kemba.

Old
06-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Jonathan Toews

I want Jimmer.

Old
06-22-2011, 11:16 AM
hdtrax

Quote:
That'd be a pretty raw deal for SA if you ask me..

Old
06-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
I wouldn't. I don't really see how Parker makes his teammates better and has had the luxury of playing with Duncan and Manu on great SA teams. He relies on his quickness and when he starts hitting his 30's, I think he will really slow down. He likely wouldn't be part of a core 3-5 years down the road.

I would do it if they took Calderon off our hands though.

Old
06-22-2011, 11:48 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I'd do it.

Jason Kidd proved this year that even aging PG's can be VERY effective and a big part of a championship team. Look at Derek Fisher for another example of this. Guys like Parker don't grow on trees, and he would be a very good player for us for another 5-6 years.

The fact that there is no player who is a truly "great fit" for the Raps at #5 combines to make this deal very attractive.
Parker =/= Kidd. Kidd is still effective because he's one of the smartest, most skilled PGs in NBA history. Like Steve Nash, he continues to succeed because he relies primarily on his PG skills rather than his athleticism. Tony Parker is all about athleticism.He relies on his quickness to get inside and then distribute once he's drawn the D to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Toews View Post
I want Jimmer.
Noooooo. Not a real PG, can't defend, isn't isn't super quick, and is pretty much a scorer only.Years of similar players topping out as bench scorers and nothing more make me hesitant to consider him.

And it's irrational, but the name "Jimmer" bothers me.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
06-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Kamal007
#leak4Jlaw

vCash: 50

This video convinced me, I want Kemba.

Old
06-22-2011, 02:02 PM
MrLegend28

Brandon Knight or trade for Parker

Old
06-22-2011, 02:35 PM
johnnyutah

I view our number 5 pick as an untouchable pick and a major part of our youth movement in toronto. Parker is 30 and I want a young stud to play with derozan throughout his career. When i look at this draft i see an excellent chance for us to get a REALLY good player.

Old
06-22-2011, 03:14 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Knight or Walker please

Old
06-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

If we are drafting a point guard, hopefully it's Walker. As for Parker, I much rather have a point guard that can grow with most of the other foundational pieces rather than begin to decline when others begin to enter their prime.

Old
06-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Based off of everything I've read, heard, and even from interviews with BC himself, to me it's fairly obvious it will be one of these players:

Brandon Knight
Jonas Valancuinas
Bismack Biyombo
Kawhi Leonard

He seems to be really high on Biyombo.

Knight likely won't be there at 5. Val won't come over until 2012-2013. Biyombo has absolutely NO offensive game and is ridiculously raw. Kawhi is a decent player, but not a 5th overall pick. Hell, in a semi-deep draft he'd probably go around the 12-15 spot.

Not much to get excited about there, IMO.

The 2012 draft will be ridiculously deep with players such as Davis, Rivers, Teague, Sullinger, Barnes, P Jones, T Jones, Lamb, Miller, McAdoo, Gilchrist, Beal etc...

Old
06-22-2011, 03:41 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Based off of everything I've read, heard, and even from interviews with BC himself, to me it's fairly obvious it will be one of these players:

Brandon Knight
Jonas Valancuinas
Bismack Biyombo
Kawhi Leonard

He seems to be really high on Biyombo.

Knight likely won't be there at 5. Val won't come over until 2012-2013. Biyombo has absolutely NO offensive game and is ridiculously raw. Kawhi is a decent player, but not a 5th overall pick. Hell, in a semi-deep draft he'd probably go around the 12-15 spot.

Not much to get excited about there, IMO.

The 2012 draft will be ridiculously deep with players such as Davis, Rivers, Teague, Sullinger, Barnes, P Jones, T Jones, Lamb, Miller, McAdoo, Gilchrist, Beal etc...
I didn't see the interviews and haven't done as much research as I usually do so I'm just wondering why not Walker? Has Colangelo hinted he's not interested in him?

Old
06-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Val coming over until 2012/2013 isn't necessarily a bad thing. There is likely going to be a lockout so keep him there for one more year and let him develop. He's not NBA ready yet anyways.

Old
06-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Tonka
Diggles

I just hope Raptors can get a player that brings the excitement on this team like Vince Carter did.

Old
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

The more I read about Biyombo, the more I like him. The motor he has and the potential defensive presence are pretty incredible. Raps need someone like him at C, badly. Also allows Bargs to switch up to the 4 which would probably be best for him. Everything about him as a player is great, the problem is the perception that using the 5th pick on him may be a waste, which it very well could be due to the lack of an offensive game. It should be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

Does anyone know if his age is verified? I know there was some sort of bone test on him, but apparently it may not be 100% valid.

Old
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
I didn't see the interviews and haven't done as much research as I usually do so I'm just wondering why not Walker? Has Colangelo hinted he's not interested in him?
I can't seem to find the link, but I remember reading on RealGM a few days ago that Kemba appears to be falling on the draft board, with Toronto and Detroit no longer having interest.

I honestly hope it's not true, as I think if we pass on Kemba we'll be talking about it as a pretty bad choice a few years from now.

Check out TSN's NBA page. There's a video of BC talking about the upcoming draft. He mentions Val, Biyombo and Leonard. The video is titled "Wide open."

Old
06-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
I just hope Raptors can get a player that brings the excitement on this team like Vince Carter did.
DeRozan?

Old
06-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Oh, and thanks guys for not running me out of this thread yet. You know, me being a Habs fan and all.

Old
06-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
DeRozan?
And Kemba Walker, on the same floor

Hate to say it, but I think he'll be the steal of this draft. All the hating towards this kid about his attitude and his size is crazy. The dude is what the Raps need.

Do you really want to take a chance on a big guy?

Last edited by Giuseppe Sallo: 06-22-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old
06-22-2011, 03:58 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I can't seem to find the link, but I remember reading on RealGM a few days ago that Kemba appears to be falling on the draft board, with Toronto and Detroit no longer having interest.

I honestly hope it's not true, as I think if we pass on Kemba we'll be talking about it as a pretty bad choice a few years from now.

Check out TSN's NBA page. There's a video of BC talking about the upcoming draft. He mentions Val, Biyombo and Leonard. The video is titled "Wide open."
Damn that interview really makes me think we're going to take Biyombo. If we are in fact targeting Biyombo I hope we trade down a few spots and pick up another asset in the process. It really sucks that we had to drop 2 spots because if we were at 3 I think we would take Knight or Kanter.

Closed Thread