HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVII

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2011, 01:10 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVII

Let the doldrums of summer speculation continue in this latest installment.

Previous thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=917186.

06-22-2011, 01:34 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Whats the deal with locking threads at 1000 posts? I wanted to quote a comment in that thread, but I cannot. Very annoying.

Anyway, in response to a comment Usiel made in the previous thread about not understanding why some want to get rid of Varley, I would love for the Caps to hold onto all 3 for as long as possible, but if Varley and his agent are gonna dick around by threatening to go to the KHL while negotiating a new contract I would like to see Varley gone one way or the other.

I have no problem with established professional athletes playing hard ball during negotiations, but I do have a problem with un-proven/injury prone athletes (Varley) trying to rake a team like the Caps over the coals with threats of bolting to a rival league or holding out. Also add into the equation all I've read from Varley is that he wants to play in North America, not specifically for the Caps. Add all that up and its a potential Diva in the making. The Caps don't need to deal with a Diva like that, leave that crap to the Skins.

Last edited by WetHog: 06-22-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old
06-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

In regards to the Brad Marchand and RFA compensation discussion from the previous thread:

First things first, Calgary has our 2011 now. It was traded from the Rangers to Calgary as part of the Erixon deal.

Secondly, and far more importantly, it's the 2012 draft picks that are used in compensation. RFAs wouldn't be signed until after the 2011 draft, so 2011 picks don't matter for compensation. We'd need to get our 2012 2nd back from New Jersey.

And the Bruins aren't going to let Brad Marchand walk. They have plenty of cap space, especially with a $64M cap. Boston has around ~$12M in cap space to sign five players. They're not going to let a rookie who was a key piece of their cup run go, unless you throw something stupidly high at him.

Old
06-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Vabeachblue

I want varly to stay but we cant overpay him and I cant wait till gmgm makes some motha****in moves

Old
06-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Efactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
In regards to the Brad Marchand and RFA compensation discussion from the previous thread:

First things first, Calgary has our 2011 now. It was traded from the Rangers to Calgary as part of the Erixon deal.

Secondly, and far more importantly, it's the 2012 draft picks that are used in compensation. RFAs wouldn't be signed until after the 2011 draft, so 2011 picks don't matter for compensation. We'd need to get our 2012 2nd back from New Jersey.

And the Bruins aren't going to let Brad Marchand walk. They have plenty of cap space, especially with a $64M cap. Boston has around ~$12M in cap space to sign five players. They're not going to let a rookie who was a key piece of their cup run go, unless you throw something stupidly high at him.
It doesn't hurt to try!

Old
06-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efactor View Post
It doesn't hurt to try!
A) We can't try. We don't have out 2012 2nd round pick.
B) Yes it does. Offer sheeting someone often burns bridges between clubs.
C) It would cost something to get our 2012 pick back, if we were to try, and whatever it costs could hurt us if Boston matches and we don't get Marchand.

Old
06-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Dream Big

Quote:

The trick is to find the Brad Marchands of the world before they have a break out year. Who knows, we may already have someone on our farm team or someone else's farm team.

Maybe review the World Junior rosters of the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Wo...nships_rosters

Halischuk might be available. Boychuk was good too if I recall.

Last edited by Dream Big: 06-22-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old
06-22-2011, 01:57 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
A) We can't try. We don't have out 2012 2nd round pick.
B) Yes it does. Offer sheeting someone often burns bridges between clubs.
C) It would cost something to get our 2012 pick back, if we were to try, and whatever it costs could hurt us if Boston matches and we don't get Marchand.
If Boston matches, Caps don't give up the pick - so at least that part isn't an issue. Of course they'd still have to go get the pick back in order to try in the first place.

Old
06-22-2011, 02:05 PM
txpd

curious. is there a player that has been offer sheeted that has not underperformed that contract? offer sheet is a fast way to a untradeable bad contract.

Old
06-22-2011, 02:07 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Whats the deal with locking threads at 1000 posts? I wanted to quote a comment in that thread, but I cannot. Very annoying.

Anyway, in response to a comment Usiel made in the previous thread about not understanding why some want to get rid of Varley, I would love for the Caps to hold onto all 3 for as long as possible, but if Varley and his agent are gonna dick around by threatening to go to the KHL while negotiating a new contract I would like to see Varley gone one way or the other.

I have no problem with established professional athletes playing hard ball during negotiations, but I do have a problem with un-proven/injury prone athletes (Varley) trying to rake a team like the Caps over the coals with threats of bolting to a rival league or holding out. Also add into the equation all I've read from Varley is that he wants to play in North America, not specifically for the Caps. Add all that up and its a potential Diva in the making. The Caps don't need to deal with a Diva like that, leave that crap to the Skins.
Threads over 1000 causes some type of server problems which is why mods close/reboot threads once they reach that many posts.

I honestly like Varly's statements about wanting to reclaim the #1 goalie position. You wouldn't want the opposite. Sure there is always the option of the KHL if the caps really low ball him but the still retain his rights naturally. IMO GMGM will get him signed and we'll have another year of them splitting starts.

Old
06-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
curious. is there a player that has been offer sheeted that has not underperformed that contract? offer sheet is a fast way to a untradeable bad contract.
David Backes, though it wasn't an outrageous offer. (As far as post-lockout OSs go.)

Last edited by Langway: 06-22-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old
06-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Scott Stevens.

Old
06-22-2011, 02:50 PM
discobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gr8 Eight View Post
I want varly to stay but we cant overpay him and I cant wait till gmgm makes some motha****in moves
I'm wondering if we could use the KHL to our advantage in some way? Based on my understanding of the RFA rules, Varly is still needs four (4) additional years to become an UFA.

What if we signed him a higher $$/yr deal than Neuvirth, thereby controlling his rights into prime years. It might be too risky, but we could assume that he would be tradeable if he stays in NA, or he would bolt to the KHL, letting us off the hook for his salary.

Maybe something like 12M/6yrs? I realize that is overpayment for next year, but I think that a locked up Varly @ 2M per year is still an attractive trade option, and he has basically said that he would consider bolting to the KHL if he isn't our #1. Also, if he does win the goaltending battle (which is tough to handicap at this point), he would be on a very cap friendly contract for a starting goaltender for the forseeable future...

I may not have the $$ right to make this happen, but it's just an idea that I was mulling...

Old
06-22-2011, 03:10 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Let me get on another topic... does anyone else think Erik Cole would be a good fit on the top line? Even if he's looking for a multi-year deal, it doesn't look like the 'Canes can afford him, and if Arnott walks his salary could be put to good use... I think there are enough pending contracts over the next couple years that it wouldn't mess up the RFA situation too much. Thoughts?

Old
06-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog
You've never heard of the copy and paste functions? Computers are VERY advanced these days.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:09 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Let me get on another topic... does anyone else think Erik Cole would be a good fit on the top line? Even if he's looking for a multi-year deal, it doesn't look like the 'Canes can afford him, and if Arnott walks his salary could be put to good use... I think there are enough pending contracts over the next couple years that it wouldn't mess up the RFA situation too much. Thoughts?
They're probably re-signing Cole.

I'd rather have LaRose, anyways.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:31 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
You've never heard of the copy and paste functions? Computers are VERY advanced these days.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I'd rather have LaRose, anyways.
Maybe it's just a Bieksa-like thing or a matter of how the coach uses him but Carolina fans don't seem to mind him moving on.

Cole usually impresses me when going up against the Caps, especially this past season. Speed, size, net drive...there's a lot to like and he seems to be a strong locker room guy as well. I'd guess he stays put but he's a pretty appealing winger option.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:54 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

It's amusing to see Varly getting a lot of slack from his supporters while Neuvy doesn't get the same benefit of the doubt.

"Varly's young, he can still LEARN to be a better technical goalie", while Neuvy "this is about as good as he gets". Funny seeing as both are the same age but Varly has 5 years exp as a pro, Neuvy 3 (and Jr hockey experience). I'm not so sure these guys are going to improve a whole lot more technically in their careers. Maybe Olie can have some impact on them both, but Prior has been here before. I don't see him offering a lot more.

Honestly I think some here, (and surprisingly some credible posters) are overly enamoured with Varly's flashiness. He's got the talent, no question. He just doesn't seem to have the durability. Without that durability he can't and won't be more than a tandem goalie his whole career.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 06-22-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old
06-22-2011, 04:58 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Maybe it's just a Bieksa-like thing or a matter of how the coach uses him but Carolina fans don't seem to mind him moving on.

Cole usually impresses me when going up against the Caps, especially this past season. Speed, size, net drive...there's a lot to like and he seems to be a strong locker room guy as well. I'd guess he stays put but he's a pretty appealing winger option.
I've always liked Cole too. I would take him on the 2nd line as part of a Semin replacement. Wonder what kind of deal he'll get coming off a $3 mil salary and a 26g season.

Old
06-22-2011, 05:20 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post

Cole would be a nice addition but all reports have the Canes prioritizing him.

Old
06-22-2011, 05:49 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
It's amusing to see Varly getting a lot of slack from his supporters while Neuvy doesn't get the same benefit of the doubt.

"Varly's young, he can still LEARN to be a better technical goalie", while Neuvy "this is about as good as he gets". Funny seeing as both are the same age but Varly has 5 years exp as a pro, Neuvy 3 (and Jr hockey experience). I'm not so sure these guys are going to improve a whole lot more technically in their careers. Maybe Olie can have some impact on them both, but Prior has been here before. I don't see him offering a lot more.

Honestly I think some here, (and surprisingly some credible posters) are overly enamoured with Varly's flashiness. He's got the talent, no question. He just doesn't seem to have the durability. Without that durability he can't and won't be more than a tandem goalie his whole career.
Varlamov's ceiling is higher ultimately (as long as the injury stuff can be dealt with). I think this is why he has a lot of supporters.

I still like Neuvirth/Holtby as well.

Old
06-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Varlamov's ceiling is higher ultimately (as long as the injury stuff can be dealt with). I think this is why he has a lot of supporters.

I still like Neuvirth/Holtby as well.
I believe Holtby has the highest ceiling while Nuevy has the highest floor. Varly when healthy has the best combination of floor and ceiling.

Old
06-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post

What people are saying is this: Varlamov has more talent, and Neuvirth succeeds more based on technique. Technique absolutely can be learned to a very significant extent, whereas talent obviously cannot. If you accept the premise that Varlamov can improve his technique with learning and experience, you have to conclude that he has the potential to improve more than Neuvirth does.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Threads over 1000 causes some type of server problems which is why mods close/reboot threads once they reach that many posts.
back in my day we had one thread. And when we connected to the internet it sounded like this.

Closed Thread