HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs to Offer Hamrlik a Contract? (Yyyyikes!) (UPD: Offered 1-yr contract post #683)

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2011, 04:54 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
I can't take people seriously when they say Hamrlik was bad for us during his tenure. And that's not to say anything bad about posters who do believe that, but to me it's just like saying water is dry. It does not mesh with my experiences. He's been our best d-man the past 2 years with Markov out.

That's not to say I necessarily want him back. Going into the off-season I could see us retaining 2/3 of Hamrlik, Gill and Spacek with Spacek most likely taking up one of those slots due to circumstances. With Gill signed, I'd rather find a longer term solution for the hole Hamrlik leaves in this great crop of UFA d-men.

Now, if signing Hamrlik means moving Spacek and also signing a UFA d-man to be paired with Markov then I'd be ecstatic. I don't see that happening, but it'd be close to my ideal scenario.

Back to the subject of Hamrlik's abilities, here's a bold statement for you: Had he not been paired with Wisniewski I don't think people would be knocking down PG's door to re-sign the Wiz. There's a pattern in who gets paired with Hammer because he's a stabilizing force, and he helped Wisniewski's game much more than the other way around.

And because of that I'd love to see him paired with Subban in the future. I think that would do even more good for PK's career than being paired with Gill this past season.
Hamrlik is a GOOD player. Spacek is a GOOD player. Gill is a GOOD player.

All season long, those three played a GOOD defense. But.....in the NHL, if you do not have GREAT players, you fall short of the ultimate goal.

Good is the enemy of greatness.

Hamrlik is at his peak. Because of his age, he is playing as well as he can. He is beyond having a breakout superstar season. And he is playing a GOOD game.

On the other hand, Subban has not reached his potential. Neither has Wiz. There is tremendous upside to both of them. They are capable of elevating their game from GOOD to GREAT. And with that and if we also got rid of the GOOD players, Montreal could once again go from being a GOOD team to a GREAT team.

So, Hamrlik is not a bad DMan. He is actually a good DMan. Good enough to get us into the playoffs and lose in the first round.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:55 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
At 2,5 million for a year, I'm all for bringing him back.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Erik Cole ($3.200m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m)
Brian Gionta ($5.000m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Max Pacioretty ($1.625m)
David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.700m) / Zenon Konopka ($1.000m) / Travis Moen ($1.500m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Josh Gorges ($2.500m) / Hal Gill ($2.250m)
Roman Hamrlik ($2.500m) / Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m)
Yannick Weber ($1.000m) / Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Alex Auld ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,395,509; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,604,491

That would leave us space for a trade at the deadline, depending on our needs. Weber could be inserted in the lineup on the 4th line if there are injuries.
I'd take Laich over Cole if we can.

And hopefully we can get rid of Spacek because White deserves a spot.

I'd also offer a contract to Picard to be the #8 guy, but he'd have to outwork either Pyatt or White to earn a spot on the roster - and we could go with 8 defenseman. I just hope we stay relatively healthy this year.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:55 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
We've made the playoffs every year with Hamrlik as a Top-2 defenseman. Keep going though. It's amusing.
Success = Stanley Cup. But keep striving for nothing.

I can't take your opinion seriously anyways, you always defended Brisebois.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:56 PM
habfan1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Do you seriously believe that?

You forget who is coaching this team. Jacques Martin. The coach who will play an old tired mistake making player while sitting out younger players.

If Hamrlik is re-signed, he will once again get the top minutes. I think that JM is incapable of breaking old habits and tendencies.

The consensus so far seems that if Hammer is in a #5 or #6 role with limited minutes he would be good. Hammer only gets big minutes if there are injuries. The young guys will get lots of ice time this season so having Hammer and Spacek around will actually soften the injury blow.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:57 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
ya, i'm sure there'd be a few teams willing to take him for 750 K
I'll bet you your hf user name he'll get more than Gill. No matter who he signs with?

Old
06-22-2011, 04:58 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:

All season long, those three played a GOOD defense. But.....in the NHL, if you do not have GREAT players, you fall short of the ultimate goal.

Hamrlik is at his peak. Because of his age, he is playing as well as he can. He is beyond having a breakout superstar season. And he is playing a GOOD game.

On the other hand, Subban has not reached his potential. Neither has Wiz. There is tremendous upside to both of them. They are capable of elevating their game from GOOD to GREAT. And with that and if we also got rid of the GOOD players, Montreal could once again go from being a GOOD team to a GREAT team.

So, Hamrlik is not a bad DMan. He is actually a good DMan. Good enough to get us into the playoffs and lose in the first round.
That's like saying Ray Bourque was a bad defenseman for 20-years when he couldn't get Boston a cup which is simply not true. With this many teams it's so hard to win the cup.

In his 4-years, we've played in 7 playoff series. When is that last time our Habs have done that in 4 consecutive years?

Old
06-22-2011, 04:59 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
The consensus so far seems that if Hammer is in a #5 or #6 role with limited minutes he would be good. Hammer only gets big minutes if there are injuries. The young guys will get lots of ice time this season so having Hammer and Spacek around will actually soften the injury blow.
But how is the team moving forward is what I'm looking at? If you just keep bringing in the same guys that can't get the job done and cross your fingers that no one gets hurt, that's a silly way of trying to compete.

He's old, let's move on. There is no way the coach would just let him play 14 mins a game like everyone thinks. Again they will say we have a fast team but on the backend only Subban can actually skate.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:59 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

Cool. Then why bother replying to me? You're just wasting both of our time.

There are lots of good players who came up short of the Stanley Cup too.

Oh ****. We haven't won the Cup with Markov in 10+ years. Trade him for Andrew Ference. WINNN!!!!

Old
06-22-2011, 05:00 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I wouldn't mind bringing him back if he's going to play bottom pairing with Weber/Emelin and we're moving Spacek. Having a top 4 guy on your bottom pairing has it's advantages, especially one like Hamrlik who doesn't make mistakes when he's not overplayed.

Old
06-22-2011, 05:02 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Cool. Then why bother replying to me? You're just wasting both of our time.

There are lots of good players who came up short of the Stanley Cup too.

Oh ****. We haven't won the Cup with Markov in 10+ years. Trade him for Andrew Ference. WINNN!!!!
Not what I meant at all. He's a guy getting top minutes but his top minutes amount to nothing. I'm not saying he's a choker, what I'm saying is we've tried, now let's move on. I loved him for his first two seasons but the last two make it abundantly clear that he's slowing down exponentially. He shoots like a child, skates like a tortoise and is soft like butter.

Old
06-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:

But nobody expect Hamrlik to continue being used as a top-2. He got himself at his position because of Markov injuries, and especially before Subban emergence.

If Gauthier signs Hamrlik for a 5M salary, then yes, I and most other posters will certainly agree this is not enough for a contender. But as bottom player, or a top-4, able to log top minutes for a while if the needs come, I don't see why not.

Old
06-22-2011, 05:03 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:

Brisebois was given a load that was too heavy for him to carry and paid accordingly. It was the money that made people dislike him. Those teams sucked. He was a #4, then #5 later when he became discouraged. But he was filling the #1 role.

Same goes for Hammer. He can still do #3 if his partner has wheels. IF it's for $3.5 mil or less.

Old
06-22-2011, 05:04 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Not what I meant at all. He's a guy getting top minutes but his top minutes amount to nothing. I'm not saying he's a choker, what I'm saying is we've tried, now let's move on. I loved him for his first two seasons but the last two make it abundantly clear that he's slowing down exponentially. He shoots like a child, skates like a tortoise and is soft like butter.
Markov is a guy getting top minutes for 6+ years and its amounted to no Stanley Cup and we've even missed the playoffs sometimes. He's always injured too.

Old
06-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:

And a good d-man behind a great d-man (Markov) on the 2nd pairing wouldn't be a bad thing. Especially if you can pair that good d-man with a good d-man with potential for greatness in Subban and add another really good d-man via free agency to play with Markov (all possible while keeping Hamrlik).

Hamrlik isn't a hindrance to a team that wants to win a championship. He is a more than capable second pairing defenseman. Just look at Boston's championship D and tell me a guy like Hamrlik couldn't play 2nd pairing minutes on a contender.

But like I said, that only works if you move Spacek. Keeping both of them and signing another FA defenseman doesn't make much sense to me.

Old
06-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Brisebois was given a load that was too heavy for him to carry and paid accordingly. It was the money that made people dislike him. Those teams sucked. He was a #4, then #5 later when he became discouraged. But he was filling the #1 role.

Same goes for Hammer. He can still do #3 if his partner has wheels. IF it's for $3.5 mil or less.
Well, I guess the only question remaining pertains to the only guy you haven't mentioned yet: who does #2 work for?!

Old
06-22-2011, 05:09 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
And a good d-man behind a great d-man (Markov) on the 2nd pairing wouldn't be a bad thing. Especially if you can pair that good d-man with a good d-man with potential for greatness in Subban and add another really good d-man via free agency to play with Markov (all possible while keeping Hamrlik).

Hamrlik isn't a hindrance to a team that wants to win a championship. He is a more than capable second pairing defenseman. Just look at Boston's championship D and tell me a guy like Hamrlik couldn't play 2nd pairing minutes on a contender.

But like I said, that only works if you move Spacek. Keeping both of them and signing another FA defenseman doesn't make much sense to me.
If we sign Hamrlik, I don't think we sign anyone else. We try to move Spacek and go with;

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Hamrlik - Emelin / Weber

Old
06-22-2011, 05:10 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Markov is a guy getting top minutes for 6+ years and its amounted to no Stanley Cup and we've even missed the playoffs sometimes. He's always injured too.

lol need a kleenex?

There's a hell of a big difference in the quality of play Markov brings compared to Hamrlik.

What would these boards be without your continuous defence of terrible players? I find it entertaining.

Old
06-22-2011, 05:10 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Is this why players like Subban, Pacioretty, and Eller all improved?
Subban improved because Martin was forced to play him because of injuries (lest we forget the games where Subban was sitting in the press box)

Pacioretty called out Martin in the press regarding his treatment of younger players. Max went on his scoring binge in Hamilton and was called up to Montreal. He had a breakout year in spite of Martin, not because of Martin.

Eller? Great potential that is still unrealized. Saw him with lots of games with very little ice time while Gomez was getting in his 20 minutes +.

If Hamrlik is re-signed, we will see him with top minutes while Yemelin and Weber see lots of bench or press box time.

Old
06-22-2011, 05:11 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I'll bet you your hf user name he'll get more than Gill. No matter who he signs with?
I'll bet you that Hamrlik is a bottom pairing d-man regardless of where he signs..

Whether some other team wants to pay him more than Gill for being a bottom pairing d-man is their prerogative ....

It's funny how Gill is signed, yet, Hamrlik is only rumored to be given an offer...

You'd think with all his tenure, he'd have 1st priority (if they really wanted him).

Old
06-22-2011, 05:11 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
If we sign Hamrlik, I don't think we sign anyone else. We try to move Spacek and go with;

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Hamrlik - Emelin / Weber
To me this means they are freeing up money. Otherwise, why not sign Pitkanen? If they are signing Hammer for cheap, that means they are stockpiling money.

But for what? There's nothing out there. A trade>?

If they are signing Hammer for $4.5, PG will lose his job.

Old
06-22-2011, 05:12 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
lol need a kleenex?

There's a hell of a big difference in the quality of play Markov brings compared to Hamrlik.

What would these boards be without your continuous defence of terrible players? I find it entertaining.
I find it entertaining that you pass off the most ridiculous statements as facts .. but only when its against a player you don't like. If the same statement holds true to a player you like, it's blasphemy, even though it's your statement! Love it.

Markov has brought no success to the team though. I don't see a Stanley Cup ring anywhere. I wonder if we can do a sign and trade for Ference. Maybe we can trade Plekanec for Pascal Dupuis too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
To me this means they are freeing up money. Otherwise, why not sign Pitkanen? If they are signing Hammer for cheap, that means they are stockpiling money.

But for what? There's nothing out there. A trade>?

If they are signing Hammer for $4.5, PG will lose his job.
The money doesn't really matter so long as it's only a 1-year contract. I would prefer something lower, but if it's 1-year, it's not a big deal whatever it is. If Hamrlik is signed, we will be going forward with what I posted above.

Why not sign Pitkanen? There will be 29 other teams who are saying the same thing (well, probably 20). If we can lock up Hamrlik for a year while Diaz sticks it out in the AHL and Emelin/Weber develop a bit more, it's a nice stop gap. Same with Gill. It also gives us more money that will be freed up after this season - and more money to sign a good forward to complete our Top-9.

Old
06-22-2011, 05:13 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I'll bet you that Hamrlik is a bottom pairing d-man.

Whether some other team wants to pay him more than Gill for being a bottom pairing d-man is their prerogative ....

It's funny how Gill is signed, yet, Hamrlik is only rumored to be given an offer...

You'd think with all his tenure, he'd have 1st priority (if they really wanted him).
I agree that this seems more like a formality than anything. For all we know it's a league minimum contract.

I would be more comfortable waiting until July 1st to see if anyone else is available for a decent price. I doubt Hamrlik is signed by a team on the first day.

Old
06-22-2011, 05:13 PM
RE-HABS

Hamrlik is a signing at a really cheap cost only if Spacek is dealt.

Old
06-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Hamrlik - Emelin / Weber
If I only have those names to work with, and we choose to accept the possibility of a Markov-Gorges first pairing, I would expect the result to be Hamrlik, Gill, and Emelin moving around through the bottom 2 pairing LD positions (depending on how things work out), with Webber playing more or less full time. I remain optimistic that Wisniewski's name will also be a piece of the puzzle come next season, though.

Old
06-22-2011, 05:19 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
If I only have those names to work with, and we choose to accept the possibility of a Markov-Gorges first pairing, I would expect the result to be Hamrlik, Gill, and Emelin moving around through the bottom 2 pairing LD positions (depending on how things work out), with Webber playing more or less full time. I remain optimistic that Wisniewski's name will also be a piece of the puzzle come next season, though.
Trust me. I want Wiz too. But if that's not a option, I'm 100% happy with Hammer.

Closed Thread