HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs to Offer Hamrlik a Contract? (Yyyyikes!) (UPD: Offered 1-yr contract post #683)

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2011, 06:19 PM
le_sean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I find it entertaining that you pass off the most ridiculous statements as facts .. but only when its against a player you don't like. If the same statement holds true to a player you like, it's blasphemy, even though it's your statement! Love it.

Markov has brought no success to the team though. I don't see a Stanley Cup ring anywhere. I wonder if we can do a sign and trade for Ference. Maybe we can trade Plekanec for Pascal Dupuis too.
Again, you're referring to a drop off in talent, which is exactly what I said I didn't mean.

Hamrlik has regressed to the point of having no real talent. If the team was succeeding because of him, then sure. But what I saw this past season is they won despite him. Now, he had some good games, but they came fewer and fewer by the length of the season. He was embarrassing in the playoffs. In fact the team thought Hal Gill deserved more icetime. To me that's saying something.

Old
06-22-2011, 06:20 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
That's like saying Ray Bourque was a bad defenseman for 20-years when he couldn't get Boston a cup which is simply not true. With this many teams it's so hard to win the cup.

In his 4-years, we've played in 7 playoff series. When is that last time our Habs have done that in 4 consecutive years?
Your post (not picking on you particularly) is a perfect example of what I posted earlier.

It has been so long since the Habs raised the Stanley Cup that a lot of fans have learned to celebrate average seasons and call it a success.

You look at 4 consecutive years of playoffs and consider that success.
I look at 4 consecutive years without a Stanley Cup. To me, that is not success. But then again, I grew up watching the Habs win Cups with tough gritty teams.

And once again, I never called Hamrlik a "bad" Dman. He is good. He is not great. Montreal (Molson, Gauthier) can do better to field a great team on the ice instead of taking the safe road with good players like Hamrlik. A team of good players will never win the Cup.

Old
06-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Your post (not picking on you particularly) is a perfect example of what I posted earlier.

It has been so long since the Habs raised the Stanley Cup that a lot of fans have learned to celebrate average seasons and call it a success.

I look at 4 consecutive years without a Stanley Cup. To me, that is not success. But then again, I grew up watching the Habs win Cups with tough gritty teams.

And once again, I never called Hamrlik a "bad" Dman. He is good. He is not great. Montreal (Molson, Gauthier) can do better to field a great team on the ice instead of taking the safe road with good players like Hamrlik. A team of good players will never win the Cup.
One just did.

And many more will in the future. Salary Cap = No All-Star Teams.

Old
06-22-2011, 06:27 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'll ****ing puke if he comes back.

This would affirm the idea that management doesn't care to win, by having the exact same team that failed two years in a row. And don't give me the "well there were key injuries" crap. They have money, spend it on someone younger and better.
This is what it comes down to for me as well.

Only way I accept Hamrlik's return is if he replaces Spacek.

Old
06-22-2011, 06:28 PM
EveryDay

The last thing the Habs need to do is sign Hammer.......

Old
06-22-2011, 06:30 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
I find it entertaining that you pass off the most ridiculous statements as facts .. but only when its against a player you don't like. If the same statement holds true to a player you like, it's blasphemy, even though it's your statement! Love it.

Markov has brought no success to the team though. I don't see a Stanley Cup ring anywhere. I wonder if we can do a sign and trade for Ference. Maybe we can trade Plekanec for Pascal Dupuis too.

The money doesn't really matter so long as it's only a 1-year contract. I would prefer something lower, but if it's 1-year, it's not a big deal whatever it is. If Hamrlik is signed, we will be going forward with what I posted above.

Why not sign Pitkanen? There will be 29 other teams who are saying the same thing (well, probably 20). If we can lock up Hamrlik for a year while Diaz sticks it out in the AHL and Emelin/Weber develop a bit more, it's a nice stop gap. Same with Gill. It also gives us more money that will be freed up after this season - and more money to sign a good forward to complete our Top-9.
Pitkanen brings more offensive upside and a similar DEfensive game, but for close to double the money (his new contract vs Hammer's new -hopefully- reduced contract). If Hammer takes the right amount of money, we'd have enough to get Hammer cheap AND maybe Wiz.

The knee injuries these guys have had are fixable. The doctors said so. Wiz is coming off a bad knee too. But it's fixed and good as new.

Markov is gonna be a terror once he gets his stride back. Imagine all those months rehabbing? If PG plays this right, we have a real shot here to win.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 06-22-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old
06-22-2011, 06:31 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
One just did.

And many more will in the future. Salary Cap = No All-Star Teams.
I agree with you. No more All Star Teams in the NHL.

However, on an earlier post, I said that Hamrlik is at his max potential because of age. He is as good as he will ever be.

Now look at Ference. He stepped up his game in the playoffs and was great at scoring the timely goal. Boychuk stepped up his game and scored points as well as hit anything that wasnt black and gold. Same with McQuaid.

And that is my entire point regarding Hamrlik (and Spacek and Gill also). Because of age (yep, sucks to get old and lose speed and agility on the ice), they are now incapable of stepping up their game.

Gauthier could easily have let Gill and Hamrlik walk and use that money to get Dmen with the capacity to move from good to great. But he did not.

And with the potential re-signing of Hamrlik, I am not looking for any big moves on the offensive side either. After all, we did make the playoffs.

Old
06-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Again, you're referring to a drop off in talent, which is exactly what I said I didn't mean.

Hamrlik has regressed to the point of having no real talent. If the team was succeeding because of him, then sure. But what I saw this past season is they won despite him. Now, he had some good games, but they came fewer and fewer by the length of the season. He was embarrassing in the playoffs. In fact the team thought Hal Gill deserved more icetime. To me that's saying something.
That you should never look into becoming a hockey scout?

Old
06-22-2011, 06:33 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:

Okay, let's say we don't sign Hamrlik.

We strike out on free agency.

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Weber/Emelin

We better hope like hell that Weber or Emelin become really, really good and really, really fast.

Quote:

7 seconds more through the whole playoffs. 7. Yes, 7 freaking seconds. Gill had 0 PTS and was -1. Hamrlik was -1 and had 3 PTS.

Hamrlik also played close to 300 minutes more during the season. Gill had 9 PTS and -9. Hamrlik had 34 PTS and +6.

Next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
YES!

Old
06-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Pitkanen brings more offensive upside and a similar DEfensive game, but for close to double the money. We'd have enough to get Hammer cheap AND maybe Wiz.
This is a pretty interesting "barometer", I think. If I could could choose between Pitkanen or Hamrlik+Wisniewski at the same price, I am pretty sure I say thanks, but no thanks, to Pitkanen. Should be interesting to see what the real dollar difference turns out to be.

Old
06-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Maxpac

I've come to the point in my life where having a habs contract news has ruined my day. There's no way Gauthier is dumb enough to offer him a 2 year contract....

Old
06-22-2011, 06:40 PM
neilsonftw

The only way I would have hamrlik back is to sit alonside Spacek in the pressbox

Old
06-22-2011, 06:41 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Okay, let's say we don't sign Hamrlik.

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Weber/Emelin

We better hope like hell that Weber or Emelin become really, really good and really, really fast.

YES!
And that has beem the hallmark in Montreal for the last 18 years. Take the safe road that ensures having a decent team instead of taking risks that could lead to a more successful team.

Old
06-22-2011, 06:45 PM
prairie hab

I will be so pissed if Wisniewski is allowed to walk.

We have enough over-agers in the corps already - Gill, now possibly Hammer, Spacek and a Markov who is not necessarily old, but his body sure is.........

WTF is Gauthier's plan?

Old
le_sean

Quote:

7 seconds more through the whole playoffs. 7. Yes, 7 freaking seconds. Gill had 0 PTS and was -1. Hamrlik was -1 and had 3 PTS.

Hamrlik also played close to 300 minutes more during the season. Gill had 9 PTS and -9. Hamrlik had 34 PTS and +6.
7 more seconds against the #1 line for the Bruins. But nice try on your part like it means nothing. Your "#2" guy isn't even trusted to play against top lines. The coach decided that was better suited for a rookie and a one dimensional giant.

Next.

Old
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
And that has beem the hallmark in Montreal for the last 18 years. Take the safe road that ensures having a decent team instead of taking risks that could lead to a more successful team.
If anything our goaltending has always been suspect in the playoffs. Halak was great last year and Price this year. But Price had two very underwhelming performances before that that can't be blamed on having a decent team.

We are always a contender. We made it two Game #7 against the eventual Stanley Cup Champs without one of our best forwards and two Top-4 defenseman (Markov, Gorges, Pacioretty). If we can add another top-6 forward we are in a great position this year. It's more than just a decent team. Desharnais and Eller will both be better too. Weber should be better as well.

Old
06-22-2011, 06:46 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I guess that applies to half of the people on these boards since a lot want the team to go in another direction too.

Old
06-22-2011, 06:47 PM
EveryDay

[QUOTE=natey2k4;33852519]Okay, let's say we don't sign Hamrlik.

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Weber/Emelin

I think that ppl undervalue the quality of Yemelin with Mtl.
And Weber his probably ready to play as a number 6-7 D right now, him and Gill could work as a 3rd pairing.

Marky-Gorges
Yemelin-Subban
Gill-Weber
Spacek

thats not a bad group of defenceman... even thru i would prefer a big UFA signing

Old
06-22-2011, 06:49 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:

Hamrlik regressed from the top #1 overall player that he was, but he still makes solid passes and usually handles the puck well/gets it out of the zone. His regression is mostly the offense and his stamina. If Hamr is given less ice time (stamina solved) and not be counted on for offense/carrying the team (offense solved), then he becomes a good player @ Gill's salary.

Having said that, there's no place for Hamr on this roster. Gill and Spacek took it.

Old
06-22-2011, 06:49 PM
RBR

Quote:
As a fan of another team, I agree that this is a problem with Montreal. Getting someone like Gomez is practically anchoring yourself to mediocrity. They were so afraid to not have another center they had to have Gomez.

Making these moves ensures you won't finish last but you don't take the rights steps to being a contender such as getting a real top line goalscorer or a mobile, puck-moving defense.

Old
06-22-2011, 06:52 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Summer 2009?

Old
06-22-2011, 06:53 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
As a fan of another team, I agree that this is a problem with Montreal. Getting someone like Gomez is practically anchoring yourself to mediocrity. They were so afraid to not have another center they had to have Gomez.

Making these moves ensures you won't finish last but you don't take the rights steps to being a contender such as getting a real top line goalscorer or a mobile, puck-moving defense.
Did you also miss the part where we got the best UFA forward available the same summer?

Hint : Mike Cammalleri

Old
06-22-2011, 06:54 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post

Gomez isn't handcuffing anything just yet. We have more than ample room to add big pieces to this roster to make difference this season, questions are indeed present about the following season when Price and Subban need raises, but it should still remain manageable.

Old
06-22-2011, 06:54 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
only if he gets minimum wage and sits most games in press box . they need to resign markov and wiz and we are set. if you cant sign wiz we should be going after erhoff or pitkanen... not to mention if we sign hamrlik weber is the new o'byrne and will be moved pretty quickly imo . hopefully he doesnt accept . i can take another year of spacek but no hamrlik please!

Old
06-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Capitano

Hammer has filled in admirably with Markov going down 2 years in a row...he has logged huge amounts of ice-time. If he is willing to come back for 2 million or so, I bring him back...with normal amounts of ice-time he'll do just fine.

Closed Thread