HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Catbird Refuge/Sanctuary

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Firestorm

vCash: 500
I still think that Jets is a stupid name, why remember a team that more often than not on the losing side of the game...

Old
06-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Question for the Catbirds: Any idea if local travel teams will keep the Jr. Thrashers name? I play at that level, so I'm curious what team I'll be up against. If they have to pay royalties to ASG, they should just change.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:03 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Question for the Catbirds: Any idea if local travel teams will keep the Jr. Thrashers name? I play at that level, so I'm curious what team I'll be up against. If they have to pay royalties to ASG, they should just change.
Not sure if they've decided yet, but I couldn't agree more with the bolded.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:07 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I am excited to see the new branding of this team. The timing is perfect. With the Atlanta market open, this franchise has a huge opportunity to gain a much larger fanbase. If they can get some time on Sports South down here, it can only lead to big things. Couple that with new jerseys, logos, and travel ticket packages, I see a small market success for a long time.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I am excited to see the new branding of this team. The timing is perfect. With the Atlanta market open, this franchise has a huge opportunity to gain a much larger fanbase. If they can get some time on Sports South down here, it can only lead to big things. Couple that with new jerseys, logos, and travel ticket packages, I see a small market success for a long time.
I am really hoping we get an AHL team moved down there and affiliate them with the Preds, for a lot of reasons:

1. It'd give you some good hockey to watch. The interest needs to stay up.
2. It'd give Atlanta a stronger Preds connection. More people would watch when the prospects they love got called up for us.
3. Preds fans (myself included, for sure) would make occasional trips to come see our little Preds since they are so close.
4. It would be great to have opinions from die-hards like the new Atlanta transfers watching there guys consistently. New opinions are always nice.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:29 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

well, it's official. Screw them all and welcome to the fold. My hope is that Peggers realize that yeah you have a team, but you have a middling eastern team moving to the west to go along with that other western Canada powerhouse of the Oilers. The NHL is going to suck for a while in the prairies.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:29 AM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
I think I speak for everyone when I say we are more than happy to have you. I would get into some sort of sappy and cliché statement about how terrible I feel about it (and I do), but something tells me you've had enough of those and just want to move on.

Continuing the whole homeless reference, I look at Prednation as an apartment complex with about 14324521 empty rooms until you guys showed up. Plenty of room in this building. It's like a frat with less alcohol and less preppy clothes. ummm...never mind about the alcohol part. But you get the point.
Very true about the sappy part. It was nice to see all the support at first, but after a while it just became "the thing to say" and got annoying.
Definitely time to move on.

And Rhodes is spot-on, a lot of those 'Peg fans that took over the boards a couple weeks ago were clueless from the start and still are. Excitement can't excuse their ridiculous assessments, and there are a lot of them.
Let them show their absurdity and fend for themselves. My team was Atlanta, and is not Winnipeg.

Next order of business is waiting for the schedule and seeing when is the best time for us to road trip to NashVegas en masse one weekend.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:17 AM
thomas magnum

Quote:
My friend coaches the Jr. Thrashers and from what he told me they will not be keeping the name. He has probably already found out what the new name is going to be but I haven't talked to him about it yet.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas magnum View Post
My friend coaches the Jr. Thrashers and from what he told me they will not be keeping the name. He has probably already found out what the new name is going to be but I haven't talked to him about it yet.
Awesome, thanks. I assumed that was coming, but I was curious.

Old
06-22-2011, 03:07 PM
SilverRiver89

vCash: 1365
First, I'd like to say thanks for having this thread for us to all congregate in. We all knew the board change was coming, but I have to say it was kind of awkward once it did. Agreed with the old house comparison.

And second, I've been kind of stalking the team gear store waiting for the inevitable sale. Went down on Monday and everything was gated off. I went back this afternoon and it was still gated off, but there were some people there that I was able to talk to. The security guard said that it was only open for employees right now and would be open (maybe she didn't sound all that confident) Friday to the public. I asked one of the girls in the shop about whether Thrashers stuff would be discounted once they reopened and she said she didn't know. I probably can't get back downtown on Friday (I'm only there because I'm taking summer classes at Georgia State and I don't have anything on Fridays). But yeah, I'll check again Monday.

Old
06-22-2011, 03:26 PM
astrobuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiver89 View Post
And second, I've been kind of stalking the team gear store waiting for the inevitable sale. Went down on Monday and everything was gated off. I went back this afternoon and it was still gated off, but there were some people there that I was able to talk to. The security guard said that it was only open for employees right now and would be open (maybe she didn't sound all that confident) Friday to the public. I asked one of the girls in the shop about whether Thrashers stuff would be discounted once they reopened and she said she didn't know. I probably can't get back downtown on Friday (I'm only there because I'm taking summer classes at Georgia State and I don't have anything on Fridays). But yeah, I'll check again Monday.
All the Thrashers stuff was removed from the website. I really wanted Pevs and either Burmi or Slater jerseys, for the right price.

Old
06-22-2011, 03:30 PM
SilverRiver89

vCash: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrobuck View Post
All the Thrashers stuff was removed from the website. I really wanted Pevs and either Burmi or Slater jerseys, for the right price.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I wanted at least a Peverley or Little shirt as well as a New Era cap I've had my eye on (but didn't want to spend $40 on just a hat). And I'd probably think of getting a jersey too depending on how much they cut the prices.

If they even discount stuff at all Wouldn't put it past them to try to reap the benefits of our pain and keep everything the same prices.

Old
06-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiver89 View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. I wanted at least a Peverley or Little shirt as well as a New Era cap I've had my eye on (but didn't want to spend $40 on just a hat). And I'd probably think of getting a jersey too depending on how much they cut the prices.

If they even discount stuff at all Wouldn't put it past them to try to reap the benefits of our pain and keep everything the same prices.
My guess is they'll double or triple prices because now the merchandise is a "collectible".

Old
06-22-2011, 03:50 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Those are his duties going forward. However, his main focus the past five months has been finding a buyer willing to keep the Thrashers in Atlanta. According to Waddell, he worked with a total of 22 people or groups that expressed an interest, in some form, in buying the Thrashers. Some had promise. Others did not. One by one, each failed to move into more serious negotiations. No exclusive negotiating agreement was ever signed for the Thrashers.

“That has been the last four or five months of my life,” Waddell said.

Waddell thought he was close on at least one occasion. A wealthy family “from the Midwest” was one of the groups he worked with. He introduced that family to Braves pitching great Tom Glavine, who had expressed an interest in helping keep the Thrashers in Atlanta. Glavine, who confirmed the account, would be an investor and local face of the organization. However, a member of the family developed a serious illness and they withdrew their interest.

The final interested party was a family from North Carolina but when they decided not to move forward, during the Atlanta Spirit’s negotiations with True North Sports and Entertainment, the end was at hand.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-th...rs-984433.html

Old
06-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
while he may have been the architect of our team being crappy, i firmly believe waddell was one of the good guys. he just couldn't overcome the owners.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:27 PM
KevFist
is best pony

D-Wad takes a lot of abuse he really doesn't deserve. He was simply acting on the orders of the owners Granted, he kept doing it, but it was his job.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:39 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
My guess is they'll double or triple prices because now the merchandise is a "collectible".
On the bright side my jerseys are now "vintage". Thank god for ebay, right?

Old
06-22-2011, 07:18 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
I wouldn't give Waddell that pass so easily.

The stuff Bouchard said on TSN Radio was just scratching the surface.

Old
06-22-2011, 07:52 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
I am really hoping we get an AHL team moved down there and affiliate them with the Preds, for a lot of reasons:

1. It'd give you some good hockey to watch. The interest needs to stay up.
2. It'd give Atlanta a stronger Preds connection. More people would watch when the prospects they love got called up for us.
3. Preds fans (myself included, for sure) would make occasional trips to come see our little Preds since they are so close.
4. It would be great to have opinions from die-hards like the new Atlanta transfers watching there guys consistently. New opinions are always nice.
Better hope someone buys the operating rights to Philips Arena as I doubt there will be any kind of hockey tenant with the ASG still there.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
I wouldn't give Waddell that pass so easily.

The stuff Bouchard said on TSN Radio was just scratching the surface.
i know that stuff didn't help, but it's not the reason the thrashers left. we had fans, they just got driven away.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:41 PM
GreenHornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
D-Wad takes a lot of abuse he really doesn't deserve. He was simply acting on the orders of the owners.
Of course, they said the same thing at Nuremberg.

I was only following orders.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:29 PM
astrobuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
Of course, they said the same thing at Nuremberg.

I was only following orders.
I wouldn't go that far.
I think DW at one point had the best interests of the team in mind, but at some point he probably realized that:
1. He wasn't going to be able to get another GM job in the NHL
2. If he did exactly what ASG wanted, they would never fire him.

I'm pretty sure the moment he figured that out was when he took over as coach for Heartley. In retrospect, that seems more like ASG saying, "We already paid for a coach this year, Don. We're not hiring another one. Figure something out. We don't care what, don't spend any more money on coaches."

Old
06-22-2011, 09:34 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Yeah but following orders when it involves genocide is a bit different.

As for the ASG not housing anymore hockey, I doubt you would see an AHL team play in an NHL-size arena anyway. Doesn't Atl have a 5,000-7,000 seat arena?

Old
06-22-2011, 10:11 PM
GreenHornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

As for the ASG not housing anymore hockey, I doubt you would see an AHL team play in an NHL-size arena anyway. Doesn't Atl have a 5,000-7,000 seat arena?
A) It was a joke. Not meant to be a serious comparison (and if you notice the flag in my profile, I'd never make such a comparison seriously).

B) There is the Arena at Gwinnett Center, which seats just over 11,000 for hockey, in the NE burbs about 30 or so miles outside of downtown ATL.

HOWEVER, the ECHL's Gwinnett Gladiators play there, and just signed a three-year extension to their lease.

Old
06-22-2011, 11:17 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

Other than Philips the only other hockey ready arena is the Gwinnett Arena which is home to the ECHL Gwinnett Gladiators and seats just over 11,000 for hockey.

Closed Thread