HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Subban/marchand double standard?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2011, 07:31 PM
  #176
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Hopefully it's a hip hop dance, we know Subban would win for sure.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:44 PM
  #177
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
you seriously don't have a leg to stand on. subban showboaty? ok granted, my turn: marchand wiping his hands in front of the canucks bench not showboaty

your turn.
This stuff ramped up after Bergeron was bitten and Horton was cheapshotted. This team really wanted to beat the Canucks badly and let them know it when we did. I have no problem with Marchand wiping his hands clean skating by the cocky Canucks bench.

Quote:
It amuses me how every bruin fan that comes in here gets embarrassed two posts later and then disappear. Only in a group are they anything, kind of like the team they love so much.
Who went anywhere and who was embarassed, not I.

What is embarassing is the lack of respect for the game showboating and diving like the Sedins did instead of playing hockey shows. PK is guilty of that at times but doesn't chicken out least. I remember in the playoffs Horton dropped his gloves to fight him and he responded but the linesmen broke it up before it got going.

Subban has so much talent he really doesn't need to showboat, it makes him look childish like a teen in a highschool hockey game. This is the NHL son show the game some respect. It was funny how he showboated on a couple of plays against Boston and then made a bad defensive play to allow a 2 on 1 and after the showboating drew more attention to himself with his mistake because of it.

These youngsters like to show off and it is unfortunate, in the old days he got his ass kicked and it was the last time they did it because someone on their team told them to cut the crap because it embarasses the game.


Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 06-22-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:37 PM
  #178
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool
 
Rhiessan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Guelph, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
This stuff ramped up after Bergeron was bitten and Horton was cheapshotted. This team really wanted to beat the Canucks badly and let them know it when we did. I have no problem with Marchand wiping his hands clean skating by the cocky Canucks bench.



Who went anywhere and who was embarassed, not I.

What is embarassing is the lack of respect for the game showboating and diving like the Sedins did instead of playing hockey shows. PK is guilty of that at times but doesn't chicken out least. I remember in the playoffs Horton dropped his gloves to fight him and he responded but the linesmen broke it up before it got going.

Subban has so much talent he really doesn't need to showboat, it makes him look childish like a teen in a highschool hockey game. This is the NHL son show the game some respect. It was funny how he showboated on a couple of plays against Boston and then made a bad defensive play to allow a 2 on 1 and after the showboating drew more attention to himself with his mistake because of it.

These youngsters like to show off and it is unfortunate, in the old days he got his ass kicked and it was the last time they did it because someone on their team told them to cut the crap because it embarasses the game.

Oh don't worry we understand how Bruin fans react completely unbiased all the time, for sure.

I mean hell, Seidenberg scores a goal and proceeds to give the entire Montreal crowd the finger after but that's just funny right.
PK scores the goal that ties up game 7 with mere minutes left on the clock and his much, much less offensive "can you hear it" motion is criminal.

Don't you worry, we understand completely

...and Marchand...what he did towards the Toronto bench near the end of the season was more ridiculous than anything PK did all season period!
PK is exuberant and excitable, Marchand is just an idiot! Not saying I wouldn't want Marchand on my team but he's still an idiot.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:39 PM
  #179
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
What is embarassing is the lack of respect for the game showboating and diving like the Sedins did instead of playing hockey shows. PK is guilty of that at times but doesn't chicken out least. I remember in the playoffs Horton dropped his gloves to fight him and he responded but the linesmen broke it up before it got going.
but guys like Chara, Marchand, Siedenberg (among others) have respect for the game, even though they dive... right ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:00 PM
  #180
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life
 
Turtleneck Plek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
This stuff ramped up after Bergeron was bitten and Horton was cheapshotted. This team really wanted to beat the Canucks badly and let them know it when we did. I have no problem with Marchand wiping his hands clean skating by the cocky Canucks bench.



Who went anywhere and who was embarassed, not I.

What is embarassing is the lack of respect for the game showboating and diving like the Sedins did instead of playing hockey shows. PK is guilty of that at times but doesn't chicken out least. I remember in the playoffs Horton dropped his gloves to fight him and he responded but the linesmen broke it up before it got going.

Subban has so much talent he really doesn't need to showboat, it makes him look childish like a teen in a highschool hockey game. This is the NHL son show the game some respect. It was funny how he showboated on a couple of plays against Boston and then made a bad defensive play to allow a 2 on 1 and after the showboating drew more attention to himself with his mistake because of it.

These youngsters like to show off and it is unfortunate, in the old days he got his ass kicked and it was the last time they did it because someone on their team told them to cut the crap because it embarasses the game.
Honestly, I respect your opinion and I understand why you think like this, but to me it's flawed. Basically, in your second paragraph, what you say is this:

Talent = shouldn't showboat.

To this I respond:

Talent = deserves to showboat.

When scrubs showboat everybody laughs at it because they're jokes (see Jarkko Ruutu). But I don't see what's the problem with being somewhat exuberant when you're the talented guy scoring the big goals; they're the ones that deserve to showboat more than anybody else. Whether showboating is respectful or not is up to each and all of us as independent thinkers - well, most of us lol.

The problem with your post is that you're referring to the old days. Hockey has a lot of older, thick-skinned fans that lived to see hockey in a different state than it is now. What was acceptable back in the days isn't necessarily what was the best for the game. Corrections have been made, different problems have stemmed from those corrections (instigator rule, less roughness in general due to the upped tempo of the game = more cheap shots). The game is still not perfect today but I'm inclined to say that the hockey since the lockout has been spectacular in terms of overall play.

With this modern era comes extra attention and reaction to the great players in hockey. Some will stay outside the spotlights the most possible but some will also embrace it. Those players realize that when they showboat a bit, the crowd goes crazy and it pumps them up ever more, so why not do it? You can talk about showing respect, but what about showing victory, domination, effort? Your team did it very well in the playoffs this year.

P.K. shows great confidence, poise and he's very comfortable dealing with everything hockey-related. He is who he is and I don't see what harm he does to the game by being himself. Other players have showboated (Selanne shoots his glove - rookie year) and people didn't make a big fuss about it. It wasn't disrespect, it was passion, desire. Why is Subban different?

Oh wait, he's black.

Not saying you're racist, but it's hard not to see it in a lot of what people are saying about Subban.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:58 PM
  #181
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Oh don't worry we understand how Bruin fans react completely unbiased all the time, for sure.

I mean hell, Seidenberg scores a goal and proceeds to give the entire Montreal crowd the finger after but that's just funny right.
PK scores the goal that ties up game 7 with mere minutes left on the clock and his much, much less offensive "can you hear it" motion is criminal.

Don't you worry, we understand completely

...and Marchand...what he did towards the Toronto bench near the end of the season was more ridiculous than anything PK did all season period!
PK is exuberant and excitable, Marchand is just an idiot! Not saying I wouldn't want Marchand on my team but he's still an idiot.
That wasn't Seidenberg it was Ference.

Ok well it should be acknowledged that both Subban and marchand are talented players, youthful and exuberant. Still it doesn't change the fact that a veteran (recchi) told him to tone it down as did the coach several times during the playoffs.

One thing that cannot be argued is that Marchand doesn't turtle or skate away from a fracus. He walks the walk as they say. Subban walks the walk too was my point but he needs a veteran to tell him to tone it down and respect the game and not showboat.

Marchand doesn't showboat, he agitates and irritates. He scores a nice goal and he doesn't act the fool afterwards. I didn't even like the old days with Selanne's shooting his glove up in the air and shooting it stuff.

I suppose when the NHL instituted the instigator penalty it kind of paved the way for this stuff. Guaranteed in the old days Subban would have been given an ass kicking by more than one team and he would have stopped the gloating. Now if a guy backs up his antics by being able to defend himself then God bless him honestly. I would admire that.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:11 PM
  #182
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan View Post
I think this makes an end to this conversation really... The entire playoffs watching him cheering for the Bruins over canadian teams on a canadian TV channel was infuriating.
to be fair, he really toned it down against the Canucks. He was straight up out to criticize us, but at least against Vancouver he kept himself in check, and even went as far as to say Luongo deserved the Conn Smythe over Thomas if the Canucks won game 7.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:15 PM
  #183
Vic Rattlehead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St-Hubert, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
Oh wait, he's black.

Not saying you're racist, but it's hard not to see it in a lot of what people are saying about Subban.
I hate when people bring this up.

I was a huge fan of Subban when he played for team Canada at the World Juniors, but I've grow to dislike him (still think he's an awesome player and wish Boston had him), but that's just natural with the rivalry between Montreal and Boston. You'll find that people tend to dislike anyone wearing the opposing sweater.

Marchand and Subban are essentially the same...both love to get under the skin of the opposition and are extremely talented. Don't see what's wrong with either (I'm one of those who think Subban is one of the greatest trolls in the league, Mike Richards can cry all he wants for all I care).

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:27 PM
  #184
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life
 
Turtleneck Plek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
I hate when people bring this up.

I was a huge fan of Subban when he played for team Canada at the World Juniors, but I've grow to dislike him (still think he's an awesome player and wish Boston had him), but that's just natural with the rivalry between Montreal and Boston. You'll find that people tend to dislike anyone wearing the opposing sweater.

Marchand and Subban are essentially the same...both love to get under the skin of the opposition and are extremely talented. Don't see what's wrong with either (I'm one of those who think Subban is one of the greatest trolls in the league, Mike Richards can cry all he wants for all I care).
Believe me, I hate to bring it up. The issue isn't with Bruins fans only and I didn't say that because the guy was a Bruins fans. I'm also not saying it's the sole reason Subban is hated because it's definitely not, but it's there. You can choose to ignore it if you want because you don't hate him for those reasons, but it's what differentiates him from the other brash, exuberant players in the league that receive nowhere near the amount of critic Subban does.

I think the overreactions about Subban have toned down a lot and that most people can appreciate the player, but you cannot ignore the racial stigma.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:33 PM
  #185
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,363
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
That wasn't Seidenberg it was Ference.

Ok well it should be acknowledged that both Subban and marchand are talented players, youthful and exuberant. Still it doesn't change the fact that a veteran (recchi) told him to tone it down as did the coach several times during the playoffs.

One thing that cannot be argued is that Marchand doesn't turtle or skate away from a fracus. He walks the walk as they say. Subban walks the walk too was my point but he needs a veteran to tell him to tone it down and respect the game and not showboat.

Marchand doesn't showboat, he agitates and irritates. He scores a nice goal and he doesn't act the fool afterwards. I didn't even like the old days with Selanne's shooting his glove up in the air and shooting it stuff.

I suppose when the NHL instituted the instigator penalty it kind of paved the way for this stuff. Guaranteed in the old days Subban would have been given an ass kicking by more than one team and he would have stopped the gloating. Now if a guy backs up his antics by being able to defend himself then God bless him honestly. I would admire that.
From a Boston article.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/04/brad-mar...-and-five.html

". Marchand continues to learn how to walk the fine line between effective trash talking and crossing lines of decorum that shouldn't be crossed even in the haven for profanity that is professional hockey. His latest teachable moment came in Thursday's shootout loss to Toronto, when he responded to some jawing from the Leafs bench by making a golf swing gesture to the Toronto players, indicating what they'll soon be doing while the Bruins and 15 other teams head to the playoffs. Marchand took a lot of heat for that move, including getting an "earful" being periods from Julien.

But the only problem I had with it was the timing. The Bruins were only up by a goal and the Leafs proved they had the ultimate comeback when they rallied to win in the shootout. Giving Toronto any extra incentive is the only issue I'd have with Marchand's taunt. Otherwise, making fun of an opponent's lack of on-ice success is exactly what trash-talking should be all about. This isn't the classless comments made by the Blackhawks toward an injured Shawn Thornton after being cut by a skate or even Recchi's comments about the Canadiens' perceived embellishing of Max Pacioretty's injuries. That may have been well-intentioned to take some heat off Zdeno Chara heading into the rematch, but certainly entered a questionable area in casting doubt on the seriousness of an injury. But Marchand breaking out his "clubs" mid-game against the Leafs? There should be nothing wrong with adding that kind of color to the game, other than the fact that Marchand failed to back it up by helping the Bruins actually hold on for the win that night."

Why again is PK not in that category. Perhaps it's because he brings the wrong colour to the game.....

Marchand doesn't have to defend his antics, his friends do that for him.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:33 PM
  #186
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post

One thing that cannot be argued is that Marchand doesn't turtle or skate away from a fracus. He walks the walk as they say. Subban walks the walk too was my point but he needs a veteran to tell him to tone it down and respect the game and not showboat.
You're utterly full of it. Mr. "Walks-the-Walk" Marchand has one career fight against the terrifying pugilist Andrew Cogliano.

PK "Doesn't Walk-the-Walk" Subban had 4 in his rookie year.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:37 PM
  #187
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
I don't understand why people care. It's Don Cherry.

It's like people complaining about what they heard on Fox news/Sun news. Get real people.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 11:40 PM
  #188
Gainey#1*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa/Calgary
Posts: 2,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
From a Boston article.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/04/brad-mar...-and-five.html

". Marchand continues to learn how to walk the fine line between effective trash talking and crossing lines of decorum that shouldn't be crossed even in the haven for profanity that is professional hockey. His latest teachable moment came in Thursday's shootout loss to Toronto, when he responded to some jawing from the Leafs bench by making a golf swing gesture to the Toronto players, indicating what they'll soon be doing while the Bruins and 15 other teams head to the playoffs. Marchand took a lot of heat for that move, including getting an "earful" being periods from Julien.

But the only problem I had with it was the timing. The Bruins were only up by a goal and the Leafs proved they had the ultimate comeback when they rallied to win in the shootout. Giving Toronto any extra incentive is the only issue I'd have with Marchand's taunt. Otherwise, making fun of an opponent's lack of on-ice success is exactly what trash-talking should be all about. This isn't the classless comments made by the Blackhawks toward an injured Shawn Thornton after being cut by a skate or even Recchi's comments about the Canadiens' perceived embellishing of Max Pacioretty's injuries. That may have been well-intentioned to take some heat off Zdeno Chara heading into the rematch, but certainly entered a questionable area in casting doubt on the seriousness of an injury. But Marchand breaking out his "clubs" mid-game against the Leafs? There should be nothing wrong with adding that kind of color to the game, other than the fact that Marchand failed to back it up by helping the Bruins actually hold on for the win that night."

Why again is PK not in that category. Perhaps it's because he brings the wrong colour to the game.....

Marchand doesn't have to defend his antics, his friends do that for him.
Wow.....

I have nothing to say....how can someone be so biased?

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:02 AM
  #189
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
This stuff ramped up after Bergeron was bitten and Horton was cheapshotted. This team really wanted to beat the Canucks badly and let them know it when we did. I have no problem with Marchand wiping his hands clean skating by the cocky Canucks bench.
Bruin fan obviously.

Vancouver players are not supposed to react when speared in the jewels, punched in the pit of the stomach after the whistle or are otherwise the target of Bruins admittedly "playing on the edge".

The Bruins adversaries are not only not allowed to let the ref know a foul has been or is being committed, but they are OBLIGATED to allow Boston players to do what they want.

He11o, Alex Burrows is OBLIGATED to allow Patrick Bergeron to have his finger in Burrows' mouth, done for the sole purpose of intimidation. Barfing would be an act of aggression, and reacting like a normal human being and biting down to get rid of the invader is supposed to be SUSPENSION-worthy. Of course, had Burrows done nothing but quietly allowed Bergeron to run his finger around his mouth and throat and only asked the referee or linesmen to politley request Bergeron to hurry up and finish his explorations, that would be "whining to the refs", which is punishable by more abuse..... in defence of the honour of the game of course.

And if Bergeron had succeeded in damaging the vocal chords of Burrows with his finger, and Burrows would be unable to play for two months, Dr. Mark Recchi would be ready to diagnose "embellishment" if during Burrows' absence he attended a concert or something.

This year was SO Stanley Cup of Shame, I'm embarassed to be a hockey fan.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:05 AM
  #190
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
That wasn't Seidenberg it was Ference.

Ok well it should be acknowledged that both Subban and marchand are talented players, youthful and exuberant. Still it doesn't change the fact that a veteran (recchi) told him to tone it down as did the coach several times during the playoffs.

One thing that cannot be argued is that Marchand doesn't turtle or skate away from a fracus. He walks the walk as they say. Subban walks the walk too was my point but he needs a veteran to tell him to tone it down and respect the game and not showboat.

Marchand doesn't showboat, he agitates and irritates. He scores a nice goal and he doesn't act the fool afterwards. I didn't even like the old days with Selanne's shooting his glove up in the air and shooting it stuff.

I suppose when the NHL instituted the instigator penalty it kind of paved the way for this stuff. Guaranteed in the old days Subban would have been given an ass kicking by more than one team and he would have stopped the gloating. Now if a guy backs up his antics by being able to defend himself then God bless him honestly. I would admire that.


This is the kind of fan hockey really needs less of.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:18 AM
  #191
usernam
Registered User
 
usernam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,265
vCash: 500
Seriously, PK doesn't care one bit, and it's not affecting his play (if it is, it actually made him better).

usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:33 AM
  #192
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,363
vCash: 50
FYI we can put to rest Ric Nattress' suggestion that the team won't stick up for PK.

@ 7:35, you can see Gill not waste even a millisecond getting in there to protect PK from Quasimodo.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:52 AM
  #193
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool
 
Rhiessan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Guelph, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
FYI we can put to rest Ric Nattress' suggestion that the team won't stick up for PK.

@ 7:35, you can see Gill not waste even a millisecond getting in there to protect PK from Quasimodo.
What's even more telling about how the B's operate comes at almost the same time in the vid. PK begins to stand up to Horton and before anything can even happen, Lucic completely runs over PK from behind. Gimme a break already.

Lucic is fooling nobody. He had no problem running PK there or any other Canadiens over the last couple of years...except of course when BGL was out there.
I seem to recall Lucic running away from BGL shift after shift for an entire game. Where was this higher sense of Hockey honour then I ask?
Stop making me laugh, it's starting to hurt.
Keep calling the kettle black B's fans, no pun intended.
May also want to scroll back up to the post about how many fights PK and Marchand had this year. Re-reading it before continuing to shoot your mouth's off might be a good idea.


Oh and my apologies for naming Seidenberg instead of Ference earlier but does it really matter...not in the slightest.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:07 AM
  #194
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
What's even more telling about how the B's operate comes at almost the same time in the vid. PK begins to stand up to Horton and before anything can even happen, Lucic completely runs over PK from behind. Gimme a break already.

Lucic is fooling nobody. He had no problem running PK there or any other Canadiens over the last couple of years...except of course when BGL was out there.
I seem to recall Lucic running away from BGL shift after shift for an entire game. Where was this higher sense of Hockey honour then I ask?
Stop making me laugh, it's starting to hurt.
Keep calling the kettle black B's fans, no pun intended.
May also want to scroll back up to the post about how many fights PK and Marchand had this year. Re-reading it before continuing to shoot your mouth's off might be a good idea.


Oh and my apologies for naming Seidenberg instead of Ference earlier but does it really matter...not in the slightest.
I've been saying it for months, every inch of the Bruins reek of hypocrisy. There's no point in arguing with them however, because like their team, they will find an excuse for their actions. Unfortunately, far too often last year the Bruins were allowed to do exactly as they wanted receiving no suspensions and being given convenient excuses from their coach and management. How many times did we hear Boston players and coaches say "he's not that type of player"... BS

The joke of it is that they now have the cup, and it's completely tainted. I loved how Julien came out and said his players wouldn't taunt. Then when they did he claimed he didn't tell the team.... hmmm...... ya.... right.... convenient. I know that when I'm in charge of something I always make sure that my subordinates never know what I want them to do.

Enjoy the cup Bruins fans, the silver lining in it is that the rest of the hockey world got to see up close what hab fans have known forever. Boston is full of SH IT.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:58 AM
  #195
caseygraves
Don Cherry apologist
 
caseygraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jackson Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,443
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
I love Subban as a player, but I think most of you have this video wrong.

The highlights that Cherry is showing of Subban are mostly after the whistle, while the highlights of Marchand are mostly during play.

The fact that Subban chirps after the whistle even as a rookie never bothered me, and I love the fact that he gets in Crosby's face.

caseygraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:43 AM
  #196
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,363
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseygraves View Post
I love Subban as a player, but I think most of you have this video wrong.

The highlights that Cherry is showing of Subban are mostly after the whistle, while the highlights of Marchand are mostly during play.

The fact that Subban chirps after the whistle even as a rookie never bothered me, and I love the fact that he gets in Crosby's face.
Perhaps you are right, but I never saw PK do this (6-0 game):
or this:
(BTW where was the famous backing up of actions?)

Chirping never puts a player's health in jeopardy.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:43 AM
  #197
onebighockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
This stuff ramped up after Bergeron was bitten and Horton was cheapshotted. This team really wanted to beat the Canucks badly and let them know it when we did. I have no problem with Marchand wiping his hands clean skating by the cocky Canucks bench.



Who went anywhere and who was embarassed, not I.

What is embarassing is the lack of respect for the game showboating and diving like the Sedins did instead of playing hockey shows. PK is guilty of that at times but doesn't chicken out least. I remember in the playoffs Horton dropped his gloves to fight him and he responded but the linesmen broke it up before it got going.

Subban has so much talent he really doesn't need to showboat, it makes him look childish like a teen in a highschool hockey game. This is the NHL son show the game some respect. It was funny how he showboated on a couple of plays against Boston and then made a bad defensive play to allow a 2 on 1 and after the showboating drew more attention to himself with his mistake because of it.

These youngsters like to show off and it is unfortunate, in the old days he got his ass kicked and it was the last time they did it because someone on their team told them to cut the crap because it embarasses the game.
Ference flipping to bird to the Montreal crowd.

Recchi whining to the media about how a kid with a fractured neck and a concussion was embellishing just to "protect" is baboon 6'9 defensmen.

Julien calling out Lapierre for offering his finger to Bergeron, stating to the media that he would never let this pass on his team. The Next game Recchi and Luci to the exact same thing.

Bruins fan chanting F-U Subba, F-U Subban for absolutely no reason. Maybe because he's black?

All Bruins fans whining that MacPac was faking because he went to the movies after the Chara incident. Same fans greet Nathan Horton like a here when he attends the game...I guess that's not faking.

Bruins fans cheering like madmen while a players lies on the ice with a broken back....

You can say what you want about what is good or bad for the leage but from my perspective the Bruins should be ashamed for many reasons. Most annoying of all is how fans like you are so gracious in victory and so bloody annoying in defeat.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:59 AM
  #198
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
I'd like someone to ask Subban this question and then he can respond with,

"I don't want to say it, but I really think it's a colour problem. People have a prejudice against Blue, Blanc et Rouge." While he smiles sheepishly into the camera with a little wink.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:12 AM
  #199
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,218
vCash: 500
I think racism is certainly a factor, in various degrees for different people.

I think it's going to be less and less a factor, not because racism is going away, but because Subban will be more and more known around the league in the next few years. People instinctive reactions are different when it's about some someone they actually "know" instead of a generic minority individual.

I also think that Subban will never allow himself to play the race card, even thought sometimes he must be dying to. Just like any minority trying to break into an activity dominated by a majority, blaming your problems from that fact is a sure way to get shunned. It's the same thing for women getting in position of power, they have to work twice as hard to be respected, and they all know they can never complain about it because it will automatically give them the "whiner" label.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:16 AM
  #200
Le Casque de Mats
Registered User
 
Le Casque de Mats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Guaranteed in the old days Subban would have been given an ass kicking by more than one team and he would have stopped the gloating. Now if a guy backs up his antics by being able to defend himself then God bless him honestly. I would admire that.
You seem to have some kind of weird obsession with old days and "old hockey" (for what it means..). In fact old days seem to please a lot of Boston fans. Why is that really? Except for some senile men like Don Cherry, last time I checked we were in 2011. Players don't wear brown leather skates with tube blades anymore. I fail to see how some "old style" dirty players respect the game more than a young guy celebrating his goal a little too much for granpa.

I quite like vintage stuff and some 60ies MG's and all, but I use the internet and cell phones too..

Le Casque de Mats is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.