HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I find it Ironic that..

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2003, 09:44 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
I find it Ironic that..

the sole reason that Belak is in the Line-up is to protect and keep others from taking liberties on Leafs Skilled players..

Then when Reichel his LINEMATE is run through the boards, by a player given a suspension for the hit by the NHL.. .. is the one time that Quinn is not showing favortism to his vets and is benching Belak.. and where was Domi his other LINEMATE??

Let me see if I have this corect if I am an opponent of the Leafs...

FIRST : Take advantage of Quinn's coaching by causing Belak and others to take undisciplined penalties early and then when they are benched ...

SECOND: Take liberties in the second half of the game on Leafs skilled players, reducing their effectiveness and then....

THIRD: Forcing Quinn to unbench his players like Belak making him look Stupid and just for his players to take more undisiplined retalitory/ payback penalties..

FORTH: More Leaf Penalties = more PP's = Greater % of WIN

Drawback: Even if we (opponent)takes some penalties accomplishing goals 1 thru 4 ...What is Quinn going to do ..Throw Berg and Klee out there on the PP and try to score ...YAH RIGHT....

THIS GAME PLAN IS POSTED ON EVERY NHL BOARD IN THE DRESSING ROOM..

Old
10-15-2003, 04:27 PM
Mike1

You can't fight anyone when your getting benched. The Reichel incident happened after Belak's elbowing penalty that tied the game for the Capitals. I don't think Belak got any ice-time after that penalty or at least i don't really remember seeing him on the ice.

Old
10-15-2003, 04:48 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1
You can't fight anyone when your getting benched. The Reichel incident happened after Belak's elbowing penalty that tied the game for the Capitals. I don't think Belak got any ice-time after that penalty or at least i don't really remember seeing him on the ice.
Wasn't the exact point of my post????

Old
10-15-2003, 04:50 PM
Epoch

Didn't Antropov go after Grier?

Old
10-15-2003, 04:56 PM
sluggo*

TR-TW - I guess Messenger didn't see that. Remember too that Grier hit Reichel in the last couple minutes of the game, I don't know if any of the Leafs enforcers got on the ice with Grier before the end of the game.

Old
10-15-2003, 05:00 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Wasn't the exact point of my post????
Yeah it was,sorry about that.Domi was out there & he is getting paid to be the enforcer too but i guess he doesn't think he is one anymore so he didn't do anything.

Old
10-15-2003, 05:02 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-TWѤ
Didn't Antropov go after Grier?
When???

Old
10-15-2003, 05:09 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
TR-TW - I guess Messenger didn't see that. Remember too that Grier hit Reichel in the last couple minutes of the game, I don't know if any of the Leafs enforcers got on the ice with Grier before the end of the game.
Antropov barely got within 5 feet of Grier.. but good for him to put on a good show about going after Greer... Domi and Marchment where on the ice ...I guess they didn't see anything..

Reichel Linemates are Domi and Belak ..and you would think that would be the safest line for Reichel ..yet Belak stupidity got him benched and Domi is now a Goal scorer not fighter...

Also for those of you that didn't get it this thread was a shot at Quinn and how predictable he has become as a coach...

It has nothing to do with the Reichel hit directly ....but it does bring up the point how Leafs are susposed to be the toughest team in the league, at least in reputation ...the protected 3 enforcers in the Waiver draft and when players like Roberts and Reichel are attacked ...the mighty bay street bullies were no where to be seen..

Old
10-16-2003, 02:24 AM
Epoch

Quote:
Antropov barely got within 5 feet of Grier.. but good for him to put on a good show about going after Greer... Domi and Marchment where on the ice ...I guess they didn't see anything..
Are you kidding?

The linesmen had to get between Nik & Grier!!!!

Old
10-16-2003, 06:57 AM
GeckoGreene

vCash:
You can either play 'disciplined', and rely on the refs for help when stuff like that happens, or you can play 'undisciplined', take care of your own enforcement issues, and deal with the penalties that arise from that. There ain't no third way. Maybe two seasons ago, Domi would have skated over and settled Grier's hash, and either gotten a roughing penalty or an instigator penalty and a misconduct (depending on wiether rier was willing to drop the gloves or not), negating the elbowing PP and putting us in a 4-on-4 situation late, with players like Jagr on the ice. Personally, I would rather see Domi skate over and whip Grier like cream, and let the penalty chips fall where they may, but Toronto fans and the Toronto media have been screaming at him for years to play 'disciplined', and not risk taking a penalty in that situation. Well, guess what, he listened to you. He fought down his emotions and was the model of 'discipline'. He kept his distance, and took no penalties.

No in-house enforcement, and little protection from the refs, because- lets face it- for whatever reason, the refs aren't too fond of blue-and-white jersys. Reichel getting his head smashed is, at least as far as I can see, the forseeable result, and I don't expect this to change anytime soon. But atleast we'll be taking a few less penalties...

Old
10-16-2003, 07:15 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Are you kidding?

The linesmen had to get between Nik & Grier!!!!
You mean because Ant was pushing him... Wow if that is payback I could be an NHL enforcer...

Old
10-18-2003, 06:51 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Belak is a piss poor hockey player who can fight but does not have a clue as to when to pick his fights

Old
10-18-2003, 07:51 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24
Belak is a piss poor hockey player who can fight but does not have a clue as to when to pick his fights
and that this kind on Occasion, When an opponent is taking Liberties or running a Leaf Player through the boards ... Is the exact time I would accept a penalty from Belak..

If my team happens to lose a game because Domi or Belak went after a player on the ice to even the score RIGHT AFTER that player tried to hurt one of this teammates.. I can live with that ...but to lose because of undiscipled Elbowing and Slashing penaties at centre ice..well that hurts a lot more ..

Old
10-18-2003, 08:47 AM
Epoch

Quote:
You mean because Ant was pushing him... Wow if that is payback I could be an NHL enforcer...
Dude,the refs stopped it before anything could even happen!!!

Old
10-18-2003, 09:00 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Dude,the refs stopped it before anything could even happen!!!
Yes .. I know ...but how is that PAYBACK then..

The point we are making is NOTHING HAPPENED..with all Leafs toughness what you are saying as long as there are 2 refs and 2 Linesman on the ice a player can take liberties and the refs will protect him.. I have watched enough Hockey in my day to know that a Linesman will not jump inbetween two guys wanting to go at it..

but when they are jsut putting on a show, much like Ant did then sure they will jump in.. MY point is if Ant really wnated to clena Greir clock in a fight the refs would not be involved, but also with Ants history that is the last thing I would want him to do on a regular basis, but I applaud him for the effort..

Did the refs get in the way also when Roberts arm was nearly amputated earlier in the game..???

Closed Thread