HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks to sign Leino, Laich or Gagne?

Old
06-23-2011, 12:54 AM
Shareefruck

vCash: 500
Leino/Gagne sounds awesome to me. I think Laich would be such a safe move that we'll be underwhelmed by how little he's actually about to create though (think better Bernier).

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Leino/Gagne - Kesler - Samuelsson/Raymond/Hodgson
Higgins - Malhotra - Hansen
Hodgson?/Tambellini - Lapierre - Oreskovich

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Salo
Ballard - Tanev
Alberts

Luongo
Schneider

Possible?

Personally, I'd like to see something that pushes Burrows to the second line with Kesler, though.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 06-23-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:59 AM
Peter Griffin

I agree that of the three, Gagne is the one to target. I have no doubt in my mind that Brooks Laich is going to get severely overpaid this off-season. Scott Hartnell got $4M+ at what was it, a $50M or so cap? I wouldn't be surprised if Laich got $4.5-5M and at least 4 years, probably 5 or 6.

Gagne has the injury history which is problematic no doubt. But it could also work on the favor of whatever team that signs him given he could take less on a shorter term deal. You gotta figure he's eager to win a cup as well and Vancouver would offer him one of the better shots at that no question.

If Gillis could get Gagne on a two year deal worth between $3-4M per year, I would be pleased.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Canucker

None. If I had to take one of them...I'd probably say Gagne simply due to his speed off the wing and his defensive ability.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:12 AM
Grapes1290

I would like the Canucks to sign one or two of the following if possible:

Jussi Jokinen
Michael Frolik
Ryan Callahan
Zach Parise

Grapes1290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:19 AM
I in the Eye

I don't really know much about Leino, but this thread (and article posted in the thread) makes me wonder if he'd really work here:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=903108

He might not fit with AV's vision or "expectations"... He might fit very well with the Sedins (if Leino can play rw), but I could also see him getting the Ballard treatment if he doesn't stick to the system (making turnovers due to backhand passes, etc.)... For a 2nd or 3rd liner, I think the Canucks need more of a "system"-type player... The system works very well here, so anyone brought in, IMO, should be very willing to learn, and able to play, the system...

Despite the injury issues, out of the three listed, my vote is Gagne... An off-the-list UFA player for me would be Brunette...

Brunette's winding down on his career, and I could see him taking a pretty cheap contract on a one-year deal to play on a contender like the Canucks... On a cheap contract, Brunette could slot in on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd (or 4th line) while playing sound defense, sound offense, and has a knack for scoring big goals... With the injury to Raymond, Brunette could slot into the 2nd line for, at least, the short term... He'd be another (around) 20-goal scorer (and veteran presence) on the roster, which IMO, would be huge for offensive depth... I think he'd be low maintenance, fit in well in the room, play well within the system, and tow the company line, pretty inexpensively...

If the options were Gagne, Brunette, Leino, or Laich... Making assumptions on salary and contract length, I think my vote would be (1) Gagne; (2) Brunette; (3) Laich; and (4) Leino

Last edited by I in the Eye: 06-23-2011 at 01:27 AM.
I in the Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:20 AM
mdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapes1290 View Post
I would like the Canucks to sign one or two of the following if possible:

Jussi Jokinen
Michael Frolik
Ryan Callahan
Zach Parise
Cross Parise off that list, there's no way the Canucks get him.

Similary with Callahan, the Rangers aren't letting him walk.

I think Jokinen is overrated because he's able to put up 50-60 points but won't contribute much else and I don't think he's what the Canucks are looking for.

Frolik just flat out sucks, Florida admitted that when they traded him for almost nothing last year. He'd be yet another third liner in Vancouver

mdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:20 AM
topheavyhookjaw

For me I like all 3 of those options depending on where the price ends up.

I like Laich up to about 4.2 per, over 4, no longer or more.

I like Gagne up to about 3.75 per, over no longer than 2.

I like Leino up to about 3.5 per, over 3-4.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:22 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Laich
Gagne
Leino

06-23-2011, 01:28 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

how about both leino and laich? we have the room if we get rid of ballard

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:30 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

1. Laich.

Other guys I don't see mentioned:

- Andrew Brunette (for the love of god so at least we don't have to play him)
- Sean Bergenheim

I also like the Tanguay idea. He was VERY good last year on the Flames and would compliment Kesler nicely IMO.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:50 AM
alternate

Don't really like the idea of Leino. Pretty safe bet he'll be signing a multi-year deal, so what's the point of drafting guys like Hodgson, Shirokov, Schroeder and Rodin if you're then going to go sign a similar type player to a multi-year deal the first time there's an opening in the roster? I'd rather just promote from within for a quarter of the cap hit.

Gagne, obviously if there weren't health issues he'd be a no-brainer if the cap hit is reasonable. Not sure he's the same player he was though...last two seasons he scored at less than 25 goals/82 game pace. The big concern here is that he ends up being the only upgrade to the top 6 and then gets another concussion. I've never really seen Gagne as a set-up guy either, more a speed down the wing and shoot kinda guy. Not sure he's quite the fit with Kesler some are saying, but yeah if the cap hit is right and there's no better options then he's worth the risk.

I personally go with Laich. a bit bigger, should be good for 20+ goals, 50+ points, can do some of the dirty work for Kesler, and if he can play wing, he's probably the best compliment to what we already have.

Laich-Kesler-Shirokov/Hodgson/Sammy has potential.

Only problem I have with Laich is it doesn't appear he brings much of a mean streak to the game. Only been over 40 PIMs once in his career (46 last year). I don't mind overspending a bit on a true powerforward...they tend to get more than their stats alone suggest they should. But I don't want to get into a bidding war for a little bit better version of Chris Higgins...not that I have any problem with Higgins being back, as long as it's nowhere near $4m per.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:50 AM
FloydTheBarber

The Bruins series made me think we need more grit in the top-6 with skill.

So from this list Laich would be my choice.

The more I thought about it though, it was the injuries/line-mates/chemistry on the back end that ended the Cup dream.

I would target Tanguay, Kesler is not the best play making centre, he's a goal scoring centre, a player like Tanguay (barring unforeseen chemistry issues) seems like he would be the perfect complement to Kesler. It could be like Stamkos/St. Louis lite.

Also, I like the recent suggestions of Brunette, he's aging, but his speed issues haven't hurt him up to this point, and I can't see him getting any slower than he already is.

FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:52 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
1. Gagne - Kesler needs talent, and Gagme is by far the most talented player available in our price range. There are injury concerns, but this is a former 40 goal scorer that isn't even that old. He's going to have a bounce back season in the next year or two.

2. Tanguay - The second most talented player available in our price range. See where I'm going here? Kesler needs TALENT. Tanguay has a good playoff history and had a great season last year. Was one of the NHL leaders in even strength points, which would help Kesler who got most of his points on the PP.

3. Laich - Gives you a bit of a different look on the 2nd line. Not as talented as the above two, but grittier. Might be a good fit with Kesler in terms of providing more jam in the top 6.

4. Leino - I like him, but I'm not sold on the price he'll get. I think he fit well with Briere and Hartnell. I don't think he'd produce as well here.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:54 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Leino/Gagne sounds awesome to me. I think Laich would be such a safe move that we'll be underwhelmed by how little he's actually about to create though (think better Bernier).
Although they're wildly different style players, in terms of offensive ability, I'd rate Laich very similarly to Raymond. Guys who can score 50 points and do an OK job on a 2nd line if they're with above-average linemates, but will really struggle to generate offense by themselves and are actually more suited to be very good 3rd line players.

Like you say, Laich is a player who sounds good on paper (big! gritty! 50 points!) but I think people will be pretty under-whelmed by what he actually brings offensively.

To me, he's a 40-point player that saw his numbers inflated for a couple years because of his linemates in Washington. The year he scored 25 goals and 59 points he was on the (dynamite) Capitals first-unit PP for most of the season and scored a pile of points there, including half his goals. That opportunity won't happen here, and his numbers would be nowhere near the same as a result.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:58 AM
Bam19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
how about both leino and laich? we have the room if we get rid of ballard
We can keep Ballard It would mean no Errhoff but I feel that is unlikely anyways

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
Ville Leino ($3.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Brooks Laich ($3.800m)
Mason Raymond ($2.550m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.150m)
Victor Oreskovich ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($2.500m)
Jeff Tambellini ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.250m)
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Sami Salo ($2.500m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Aaron Rome ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m) / Cory Schneider ($0.900m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,908,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $91,667

Just ride the hot hand for the second line between leino, laich, raymond and sammy

Bam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:59 AM
SoulReaper
Cake is a LIE!

I'm not too sold on Laich. His offensive production is overrated, playing along Ovi/Backstrom. He would most likely be a good 3rd liner.

I'd rather have Leino or Gagne playing with Kesler, because they are more offensively talented than Laich. Kesler needs more skill on his linemate not grit, so that we can actually have a scoring 2nd line.

SoulReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:01 AM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
The Bruins series made me think we need more grit in the top-6 with skill.

So from this list Laich would be my choice.

The more I thought about it though, it was the injuries/line-mates/chemistry on the back end that ended the Cup dream.

I would target Tanguay, Kesler is not the best play making centre, he's a goal scoring centre, a player like Tanguay (barring unforeseen chemistry issues) seems like he would be the perfect complement to Kesler. It could be like Stamkos/St. Louis lite.

Also, I like the recent suggestions of Brunette, he's aging, but his speed issues haven't hurt him up to this point, and I can't see him getting any slower than he already is.
Kesler is a fine playmaker.
Remember this is the same Ryan Kesler who made Mikeal Samuelsson and Mason Raymond 50 point players, and Samuelsson had 30 goals.
Kesler also has a 50 assist season under his belt, so calling him only a goal scoring Centre is kinda short sighted.

Kesler is a complete centre capable of all aspects of the game, and has proven to always be improving his game every summer.

Personally I like the Flash suggestion before, he's quick, smart, can dish the puck as well as finish. He plays LW and can take the occasional draw. Will be cheaper than all 3 posted before due to his condition which has been under control but does not allow for huge training yet.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:06 AM
phamJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
I'll take Leino. He can create chances by himself. He's very under-rated.
Did you see marchand create changes by himself in the playoffs, is that why you want leino on the canucks so he can be like a marchand running around creating chanes by himself?

Maybe next year leino can be like marchand and help the canucks win the stanley cup in 7 games.

phamJET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:15 AM
Type Not Specified
Part of the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
on a cheap-ish (no more than $2.5 mill) one year deal, i'd gamble on gagne in a heartbeat. but i think he will get more term AND more dollars, and i wouldn't give him either.
Agreed here, in fact I don't know that I'd go over 2 million unless it involved performance bonuses. Somebody will throw some money at him and I don't want it to be us. He has the potential to be an impact player but it's not worth the risk for us.

I'm not sure about Leino. He had a big playoff in 2010 and followed it up with a reasonably good regular season, but before that he never produced anything significant. I haven't watched him closely enough to have any idea whether he's likely to sustain that production or not and how he'd adapt to a different team. He's known to be a defensive liability but then again so was Torres and he worked out OK. My feeling though is that Leino is a bit of a gamble with a limited upside.

Laich would seem to be the most logical choice of the 3 but if he's going to cost close to 4 million I don't think it's worth the price. He wouldn't be a big upgrade (if at all) on Higgins.

I'm also going to say no to Andrew Brunette. Good guy and good, smart player but too old and too slow for our team.

Tanguay would be a great addition but the price tag may get a bit high and he may not be that interested in signing here. If we can get him on a deal that makes sense though I'd be thrilled.

Honestly, if no really exciting options present themselves I'd be happy with Higgins-Kesler-Samuelsson.

Last edited by Type Not Specified: 06-23-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Type Not Specified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:23 AM
Sedinery2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastMetal View Post
Honestly, if no really exciting options present themselves I'd be happy with Higgins-Kesler-Samuelsson.
Oh, man...If I see this team head into the next post-season with Kesler centering two thirdline "second line players".........

Sedinery2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:25 AM
keslerburrows

Why not 2 of them? Gagne and the other that wants to take the cheapest (likely Laich). I guess that would meen not resigning ehrhoff for the extra cap but....

FORWARDS
Simon Gagne ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Brooks Laich ($4.500m)
Mikael Samuelsson ($2.500m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Cody Hodgson ($1.666m)
Jannik Hansen ($1.925m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.100m) / Raffi Torres ($1.450m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.500m)
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Scott Hannan ($3.250m)

GOALTENDERS

SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,924,999; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $75,001

Added Hannan to play with Ballard, hoping he would take a hometown discount?
Not sure what to do with Raymond either...

Last edited by keslerburrows: 06-23-2011 at 02:35 AM.
keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:29 AM
David71

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Why not 2 of them? Gagne and the other that wants to take the cheapest (likely Laich). I guess that would meen not resigning ehrhoff for the extra cap but....

FORWARDS
Simon Gagne ($3.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Brooks Laich ($3.500m)
Jannik Hansen ($1.725m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.100m) / Raffi Torres ($1.250m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.000m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Scott Hannan ($1.600m)

GOALTENDERS

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,374,999; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $25,001

raymond would be on ltir list until november or december at the least with his injury. and whoever is posting higgins/sammuelsson with kesler. that means another year of kesler doing most of the dirty work. and possibly not enough tank to last in the playoffs again.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:30 AM
SoulReaper
Cake is a LIE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post

FORWARDS
Simon Gagne ($3.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Brooks Laich ($3.500m)
Jannik Hansen ($1.725m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.100m) / Raffi Torres ($1.250m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.000m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Scott Hannan ($1.600m)

GOALTENDERS

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,374,999; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $25,001

Cap hit is gonna be 64Million next year. You are gonna need to pay those UFAs more that that to lure them here.

SoulReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:30 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedinery2011 View Post
Oh, man...If I see this team head into the next post-season with Kesler centering two thirdline "second line players".........
They could play that line in the reg season, and try to stay a few million under the cap and build cap for a deadline move.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:31 AM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReaper View Post
Cap hit is gonna be 64Million next year. You are gonna need to pay those UFAs more that that to lure them here.
Totally slipped my mind, ill try to edit it.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote