HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster Building Thread XVII

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2011, 08:11 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
What people are saying is this: Varlamov has more talent, and Neuvirth succeeds more based on technique. Technique absolutely can be learned to a very significant extent, whereas talent obviously cannot. If you accept the premise that Varlamov can improve his technique with learning and experience, you have to conclude that he has the potential to improve more than Neuvirth does.
accept thats not it at all. varly being more athletic doesnt mean he has more talent. it means that he is more athletic.

i can accept the premise that varly CAN use better technique, i dont accept that he WILL.

in short i dont buy that varly will end up the better goaltender. i think that is completely left in the balance.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:28 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
It's amusing to see Varly getting a lot of slack from his supporters while Neuvy doesn't get the same benefit of the doubt.

"Varly's young, he can still LEARN to be a better technical goalie", while Neuvy "this is about as good as he gets". Funny seeing as both are the same age but Varly has 5 years exp as a pro, Neuvy 3 (and Jr hockey experience). I'm not so sure these guys are going to improve a whole lot more technically in their careers. Maybe Olie can have some impact on them both, but Prior has been here before. I don't see him offering a lot more.

Honestly I think some here, (and surprisingly some credible posters) are overly enamoured with Varly's flashiness. He's got the talent, no question. He just doesn't seem to have the durability. Without that durability he can't and won't be more than a tandem goalie his whole career.
Nevuy is getting plenty of support here, including your own post.

I happen to think Neuvy is so sound, that he cant get much better technically. There are not many flaws in his game. Varlys style is more intriguing to me.

We were just largely arguing his durability, on a boring ass summer day. I do miss midsommar partys with my swedish friends. But I dont mind admitting I am overly enamored with his game. He is the only goalie in about 13 years to win a playoff series mostly on his own. He gets lots of slack from me.

Sure you can say Neuvy stole that series from NY but I like Varly's pitch hit performance much more.

Old
06-22-2011, 08:55 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
David Backes, though it wasn't an outrageous offer. (As far as post-lockout OSs go.)
Kesler was post lockout too right?

Old
06-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Kesler was post lockout too right?
Yeah but it was only a one-year offer and he didn't really break out in a big way until two years after that.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:53 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Anyone know when the home opener is?

Old
06-22-2011, 10:11 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Yeah but it was only a one-year offer and he didn't really break out in a big way until two years after that.
Really just one. Seems stupid. I couldn't remember details except him being the first shot across the bow with cap.

Old
06-22-2011, 10:12 PM
dashtary*

I'd love to add a healthy Gagne to this team. I feel like he'd help a lot. JMO though.

Old
06-22-2011, 10:13 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

You know if I'm Toronto, I never trade with Boston again. Rask-Raycroft, kessel-seguin+, kabs-1st (and they win cup).

Old
06-22-2011, 10:15 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
You know if I'm Toronto, I never trade with Boston again. Rask-Raycroft, kessel-seguin+, kabs-1st (and they win cup).
huh? the only outrageous one is rask for raycroft

Old
06-22-2011, 10:18 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Cole would be a nice addition but all reports have the Canes prioritizing him.
Actually, the most recent reports say they're not close to an extension. As of June 17, they hadn't even had substantial talks.

Quote:
“Things are not moving as we had hoped, and it’s getting closer to July 1,” Rutherford said Thursday. “We may have to look at other options. It may be easier to trade for players with existing contracts. Then we would know what we would be spending next year.
Obviously, a deal still could be worked out, but there is a realistic possibility that Cole could hit free agency.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:37 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
accept thats not it at all. varly being more athletic doesnt mean he has more talent. it means that he is more athletic.

i can accept the premise that varly CAN use better technique, i dont accept that he WILL.

in short i dont buy that varly will end up the better goaltender. i think that is completely left in the balance.
I mean, I don't necessarily think Varlamov will end up being the better goaltender. He is right now, but obviously there are other things at play than what I described. I didn't mean to imply that Varlamov would definitely end up better; I was just explaining the idea to that guy since he seems to have a lot of trouble understanding what other people say.

But yeah, that's the basic thing: technique mostly can be learned, but that doesn't mean it will be. Call it athleticism or whatever but the aspects of goaltending that can't really be taught are ones in which Varlamov has a clear edge over Neuvirth. That doesn't mean he'll get better results.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:19 AM
Efactor

OK, so COL wants Huberdeau. Great, let's trade Semin for Stastny.

Thoughts?

Old
06-23-2011, 07:06 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
But yeah, that's the basic thing: technique mostly can be learned, but that doesn't mean it will be. Call it athleticism or whatever but the aspects of goaltending that can't really be taught are ones in which Varlamov has a clear edge over Neuvirth. That doesn't mean he'll get better results.
i think thats not true. its true that varly's athletic flair can't be taught. i think what you end up saying, though, is that neuvirth's physical game is maxxed out because he cant become more athletic. i dont feel that way. as with most things in this conversation neuvirth is more understated.

we'll see

Old
06-23-2011, 07:11 AM
Vabeachblue

Varly or Neuvy, Neuvy or Varly??????? uhhhhhh hopefully the coaches know what to do cuz I am clueless. Lets Go Caps, **** the Offseason, get a 2nd line center!!!!!!!! I hope Semin stays btw

Old
06-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efactor View Post

Thoughts?
They don't want Semin. Certainly not trading their three remaining years of Stastny for one year of Semin. And I'm betting they convert Huberdeau to LW, anyway.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Efactor

It's a lock we keep Mike Green forever because Eklund reports Edmonton wants him. Damn it!

Old
06-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:

Thoughts?
In vacuum no. If McPhee can somehow get top-6 wingers - could be.

Johansson then #3 or being shopped for winger.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:23 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
It's a lock we keep Mike Green forever because Eklund reports Edmonton wants him. Damn it!
Can't stand Eklund, but I always thought if two teams would really want Green would be Edmonton or Calgary due to his Alberta connection. As for need, Edmonton would but don't see Calgary needing him.

As for major trades or anything, anything will be a surprise. I feel some people will have to filter through lots of WTF GM or FIRE GM comments on July 1 and 2. I like the idea of getting Cole, but too bad he isn't Cole of 2002 . Resigning Laich and Hannan are priorities and getting one of Upshall, Cole, or Larose would be nice. If there is money left, I wouldn't mind a defensive signing and trade Schultz. Wishful thinking on my part though. I don't Semin getting traded at all, unless it is near the trade deadline. There is one thing I don't want to happen and that is signing Jagr. I loathe that player even before he was a Capital. If we sign that guy I will really drunk in sadness.

Go Caps!!

Old
06-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

http://www.japersrink.com/2011/6/23/...on-varlamov-go

JP insists that McPhee shouldn't let go former 1st rounder because it's bad asset management.

Some nice thoughts there imho.

Old
06-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruProf View Post
http://www.japersrink.com/2011/6/23/...on-varlamov-go

JP insists that McPhee shouldn't let go former 1st rounder because it's bad asset management.

Some nice thoughts there imho.
At this point anything over 1 year 1 million would be a mistake, if he injures himself again next year, that's the last straw.

Old
06-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Roughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
I'd love to add a healthy Gagne to this team.
There's no such thing (wrt Simon, anyway).

Old
06-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I happen to think Neuvy is so sound, that he cant get much better technically. There are not many flaws in his game.
Neuvy could use a lot of work on his play on the posts and tracking the puck once it goes behind the line. Almost all of my heart attack moments with Michal happened when the other team took the puck deep. That's, imo, the biggest flaw in his game right now (and it's a fairly large one).

He also could work on his handling of the puck and reading the play, but both of those are things were many goalies struggle (especially early on in their careers).

I agree that his positioning, rebound control, and glove hand are already high-end and there's not room for a ton on improvement in those areas. But there are still question marks in his game that can be improved on. Neuvirth can still get better.

Old
06-23-2011, 12:24 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
Actually, the most recent reports say they're not close to an extension. As of June 17, they hadn't even had substantial talks.

Obviously, a deal still could be worked out, but there is a realistic possibility that Cole could hit free agency.
According to the fans on the Canes board, Cole apparently wants a deal for three years or longer. None of them seem willing to give him that long. Is it possible the Caps could take a bit of a risk on a three-year deal for around 3.5M? He's still capable of playing first-line minutes and has the speed to keep up with Ovechkin and Backstrom (well, more so than Knuble anyway). More importantly (to me) it puts Knuble on a line where he can go to the net without getting mangled by #1 d-pairs.

So... the 2011 roster could (in theory) look something like this (if Laich indeed walks for way too much money)?

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Erik Cole ($3.500m)
Alexander Semin ($6.700m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Mike Knuble ($2.000m)
Jason Chimera ($1.875m) / Michal Handzus or Jason Arnott ($3.250m) / Eric Fehr ($2.200m)
Matt Hendricks ($0.825m) / Mattias Sjogren ($0.900m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.150m)
Jay Beagle ($0.512m) / Matt Bradley ($1.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Karl Alzner ($2.500m) / John Carlson ($0.845m)
Jeff Schultz ($2.750m) / Mike Green ($5.250m)
Ed Jovanovski or Scott Hannan ($3.000m) / Dennis Wideman ($3.937m)
John Erskine ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m) / Semyon Varlamov ($2.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,984,295; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $15,705

I think I like that. Enough contracts are coming up that they can pay Carlson next year.

Old
06-23-2011, 12:49 PM

kcarrera Katie Carrera
J.P. Barry said the #Caps made a qualifying offer to Karl Alzner and that he expects to discuss a new deal more this week.

Old
06-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Millhaus

I can't see them putting themselves that close to the Cap as once they are through the spares it would require someone to be LTIR'd to ice a full roster.

I understand you built a 23 man roster there but I would hold back at least enough cap space to call Holtby up if needed to consider it realistic.

Closed Thread