HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks to sign Leino, Laich or Gagne?

Old
06-23-2011, 11:59 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenayfan View Post
Any Kesler linemates from his junior, college years that are in the NHL? A player that he had good chemistry with.
Just Parise They have MacAdams-Gosling-esque chemistry.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
I don't think we are finding Kesler's ideal winger with this years UFA crop. I think Gillis looks for a trade instead.
If I'm Mike Gillis, plan A would be to bring in Tanguay AND Gagne to flank Kesler. If you can entice them to come to Vancouver to play together for $4mil or less on 2 year deals it's something that could be a good fit for all parties.

That has the potential for being a deadly trio. 2 shooters, 1 playmaker and 3 defensively responsible players.

If Raymond's salary needs to be moved out to accomodate them, so be it.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Gagne and it's not even close between him and the other two. Neither of the other two are much of an upgrade on what we already have in Samuelsson and Raymond. Yes, I know that Raymond won't be back until the middle of the season, it's the playoffs next year that I'm talking about.

Gagne is a game changer, and not to long ago he scored 47 and 41 goals in back to back seasons. It wasn't a fluke, he's a damn good player. He's also got the speed to play well with Kesler, and is also VERY good defensively. Ken Hitchcock was very vocal about wanting him on the Olympic team because of his strong 2-way play. Yes, the guy is a bit injury prone, but in the last 3 years he's made the playoffs and played very well.

Neither Laich or Lieno are very good skaters. Between Laich and Lieno, Leino is a better offensive player (overrated IMO), and Laich is a better 2-way player (A slower Raymond IMO). Gagne is FAR FAR better offensively than Leino, and as good defensively as Laich. That, and you'd likely be able to sign Gagne for the same or possibly a bit less than either of these two, and for a shorter term that could happen to run out just when Edler is coming up for renewal.

Gagne... no question. I'd even prefer Tanguay before Laich and Lieno.

Uhmkay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
If I'm Mike Gillis, plan A would be to bring in Tanguay AND Gagne to flank Kesler. If you can entice them to come to Vancouver to play together for $4mil or less on 2 year deals it's something that could be a good fit for all parties.

That has the potential for being a deadly trio. 2 shooters, 1 playmaker and 3 defensively responsible players.

This is actually what I'd like to see happen myself.

Uhmkay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:05 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:

Plan A would be excellent...in 2006.

Old
06-23-2011, 12:08 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:

I would love that, but out top-6 would be soft as butter. AS the bruins showed...you target Henrik and Kesler, there is no pushback from anyone else, and you shut this team down. I would love to get a PWF for Kesler to open up more room for his shot and who can crash the net for a screen/rebound.

On the other wing, Gagne or Tanguay would be perfect.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Plan A would be excellent...in 2006.
Alex Tanguay was a top 10 scoring winger at even strength this past season...

Tanguay and Gagne are 31 years old. 33-34 is where you often see dramatic declines in forwards...

Old
06-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Reign Nateo

Gagne would be a good fit I think. Veteran guy with good wheels and does a lot of good things. Could be a real good fit with Kesler.

Laich is kind of a plug and will likely become more of a plug as he ages. He's going to get a pretty significant deal, so I'd stay away from that one.

Lieno would be good if we can't get Gagne, but doesn't really get me excited as an upgrade on Raymond, although he could probably play with his line-mates a bit better than Mason.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
I would love that, but out top-6 would be soft as butter. AS the bruins showed...you target Henrik and Kesler, there is no pushback from anyone else, and you shut this team down. I would love to get a PWF for Kesler to open up more room for his shot and who can crash the net for a screen/rebound.

You target a 50% Henrik and Kesler playing behind an injury riddled blueline and 2 top 6 forwards out with injury and you shut the team down. With all-world goaltending and one of the best shutdown duo's in the league...

The least of the Canucks concerns against the Bruins IMO was their 'grit' level. They were the more physical team but just didn't have the horse's at the end to get it done.

Kesler is the powerforward that likes to crash the net. IMO you don't need more than 1 of those players on any given line.

Old
06-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:

I'd loose my mind for that line, but aren't Gagne and Tanguay both left wingers? I admit I have no clue whether either can play on the right-side, but they're both left handers.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:24 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Alex Tanguay was a top 10 scoring winger at even strength this past season...

Tanguay and Gagne are 31 years old. 33-34 is where you often see dramatic declines in forwards...
Not disparaging Gagne's skill, just scared off by durability.

Old
06-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I'd loose my mind for that line, but aren't Gagne and Tanguay both left wingers? I admit I have no clue whether either can play on the right-side, but they're both left handers.
They are both LH, left wingers. You would have to hope one can make the switch. I believe Gagne has played RW in the past but I'm not positive...

The good thing about going the UFA route is it gives you the best chance to be successful longterm. Not only would you not have to move assets to fill needs you could also use Raymond/Samuelsson as trade chips to gain picks or prospects if the opportunity presented itself.

Does anyone know if Tanguay and Gagne have played together before their NHL days? Both the same age and from Quebec...

Old
06-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Andy Dufresne

Every time i've seen Laich he looked like a pretty good skater, not Gagne or Raymond fast but a lot better than a guy like Leino. He also passes a lot better than Raymond and goes to the net hard, its getting old watching Kesler be the only 2cnd liner who will go to the net.

I still prefer Gagne for all the reasons Uhmkay listed above. He's just an incredible player when healthy, and only because of the injury concerns are we going to find a guy with that talent level to play with Kesler (and fit our cap structure).

For the right money I would still look at signing Laich (around $3-3.6 Million), bidding war? 4+ $M?, don't bother. If we need to lose some salary to sign those guys I would start with Mikael "one good week" Samuelsson's 2.5M.

I think Leino really only had the 1 great playoff year? I don't think he's a good fit with our needs at all. It's not that he's real slow, or real soft, or real small but he's way to close to fitting that description for my liking. I'd even prefer Jokinen myself.

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:52 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
How about Gagne and Laich? Gagne-Kesler-Laich would be a solid 2nd line that has a little bit of everything. Could we afford it? Samuelsson would have to be gone, and both Gagne and Laich would have to sign for closer to $3M so I don't know how likely it is.

I agree that Gagne is the best of the bunch and it isn't even close, but his injury problems concern me. Can he play a full season? His post all-star numbers last year were good (27 points in 30 games), but if he can't play a full season what's the point?

06-23-2011, 12:54 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
You target a 50% Henrik and Kesler playing behind an injury riddled blueline and 2 top 6 forwards out with injury and you shut the team down. With all-world goaltending and one of the best shutdown duo's in the league...

The least of the Canucks concerns against the Bruins IMO was their 'grit' level. They were the more physical team but just didn't have the horse's at the end to get it done.

Kesler is the powerforward that likes to crash the net. IMO you don't need more than 1 of those players on any given line.
We are going to have injuries in the playoffs. It's inevitable. If Kesler is injured again (he's been injured every playoffs so far), then who crashes the net on the 2nd line? Gagne and Tanguay aren't those types of players.

And I still don't think we tested Thomas enough. He was good...and didn't have to be great.

Old
06-23-2011, 12:57 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
How about Gagne and Laich? Gagne-Kesler-Laich would be a solid 2nd line that has a little bit of everything. Could we afford it? Samuelsson would have to be gone, and both Gagne and Laich would have to sign for closer to $3M so I don't know how likely it is.

I agree that Gagne is the best of the bunch and it isn't even close, but his injury problems concern me. Can he play a full season? His post all-star numbers last year were good (27 points in 30 games), but if he can't play a full season what's the point?
I wouldn't trade Samuelsson. There aren't many players who have chemistry with the Sedins and it is nice to have an option to replace Burrows when AV needs to switch things up a bit.

Old
06-23-2011, 12:57 PM
CINCOM

I think Raymond's injury could prove a blessing in disguise for the Canucks. It allows them to sign a free agent this year they otherwise would not have been able to sign. If Raymond slots back in the roster it gives the Canucks some opportunity to showcase him for a possible deadline deal trade for some picks/prospects/Shane Doan

CINCOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
For the right money I would still look at signing Laich (around $3-3.6 Million), bidding war? 4+ $M?, don't bother. If we need to lose some salary to sign those guys I would start with Mikael "one good week" Samuelsson's 2.5M.
Why obtain Laich at the expense of Samuelsson? Sammy had an awful season yet still put up 50 points. I don't see him as a big enough upgrade (that's assuming he's an upgrade) for the added cap hit (500K to $1 million). And there's no guarantee that Laich will find chemistry with the team - don't have that problem with Sammy.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Corb

We've acquired players that have been durable over their careers, only to see them get injured in their first season here. Perhaps we use George Costanza's 'opposites' theory for this year's acquisitions.

Corb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Pump n Dump

Quote:

This is probably right, but you do need more than one of those players in any given top 6. Kesler was the solution to Nashville but injury prevented him from providing that against Boston. The Canucks need one or two more players who can do that to ensure offence against teams like Boston or Nashville.

Pump n Dump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Tiranis

People need to get over the fact that they don't like the way Samuelsson plays, because he IS an effective player and he consistently comes up big when the team needs him to. Guys being paid 2.5m are ALWAYS going to be streaky, unless it's an ELC or their second contract.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Nazzy-19

Quote:

The question that needs to be asked here is was there no pushback from the rest of our top-6 players because they are soft, or was it because they are all complimentary players who are not consistent offensive threats on their own? A guy like Burrows can have a game like game 2 every once in a while, but over a 7 game series if you shut down the Sedins, he is going to struggle to consistently put up offense.

Do we really need to add size to our top-6 or do we need someone who can create offense without relying almost entirely upon his linemates? I'm not sure who that guy could be, but its just something i've been pondering.

Nazzy-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:15 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
People need to get over the fact that they don't like the way Samuelsson plays, because he IS an effective player and he consistently comes up big when the team needs him to. Guys being paid 2.5m are ALWAYS going to be streaky, unless it's an ELC or their second contract.
Especially considering he played most of the season injured to the point where his body literally gave out on him in the playoffs.

His versatility was sorely missed in the Finals where we could have mixed things up, put Burrows back with Kesler (like late vs Chicago), and had Samuelsson playing the point on the PP as Boston had figured out Ehrhoff.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:18 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

Umm what? There's a huge difference between the way Ryan Kesler plays the game and the way Brooks Laich plays the game. Laich would be a huge asset to this team, both in terms of leadership and heart (which seemed to be lacking in the SCF), and in terms of toughness in our top 6.

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:20 PM
neksys

All three of those players could help the team in different ways.

All three have negative baggage.

I would be satisfied with any one of those - the thought of Kelser feeding pucks to a healthy Gagne makes me smile.

I'm super excited for this upcoming season - the team stays intact and will only be better (on paper, at least) with an off-season addition or two.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote