HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(Post #54) Winter Classic at Citizens Bank Park, Monday, Jan. 2 at 1 p.m. vs. NYR

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2011, 10:33 PM
  #76
46zone
Guttersnipe
 
46zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton44 View Post
8 pm?
Monday?
January 2nd?

I don't care about the NFL schedule, the idea of the winter classic on the afternoon of new years day every single year was brilliant and it took them all of what, 3 or 4 years to move away from that.

I just went from being super excited and wanting to go to this game at all costs to being borderline disinterested in the game completely.
You might not care about the NFL scheduling, but NBC and the NHL do. Moving the game to the 2nd and making it a primetime event will increase ratings. I also don't see why you would want it at 1 pm as opposed to 8 pm, I like the idea of the games being under the lights, adds to the vibe.

46zone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:40 PM
  #77
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,477
vCash: 871
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
January 1 at 1pm I'm still way to hung over. I really should still be asleep. January 2nd at 8pm I'm ready to go again.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:40 PM
  #78
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton44 View Post
8 pm?
Monday?
January 2nd?

I don't care about the NFL schedule, the idea of the winter classic on the afternoon of new years day every single year was brilliant and it took them all of what, 3 or 4 years to move away from that.

I just went from being super excited and wanting to go to this game at all costs to being borderline disinterested in the game completely.

You do realize that at this time you a) wont be hungover, b) can tailgate before the game, c) don't have to wake up early as **** to drive down to see it, you can make it an all day thing!!

TheLegendkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:48 PM
  #79
Fulton44*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
You might not care about the NFL scheduling, but NBC and the NHL do.
That says a lot about the NHL that they are supposed to be a major sport and are moving around their big New years day game because they are afraid to be up against the NFL. Maybe one day the NHL is going to wake up and realize that they are spot with a "cult" following. There are die-hard NHL fans who follow it no matter what, and people who don't give a crap about it, and not whole lot inbetween. The NHL continues to pandor to and worry about the "casual fan" or in attracting new fans when it just doesn't really work for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
Moving the game to the 2nd and making it a primetime event will increase ratings.
I am aware of that, it's just like everything else, it's all about money and screw everything and everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
I also don't see why you would want it at 1 pm as opposed to 8 pm, I like the idea of the games being under the lights, adds to the vibe.
That's your opinion and I respect that, it doesn't appeal to me at all though. 8 pm on a monday night, not a holiday, to me it just takes everything special way from the winter classic and it just makes it some game being played outside.

Fulton44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:50 PM
  #80
Fulton44*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
You do realize that at this time you a) wont be hungover, b) can tailgate before the game, c) don't have to wake up early as **** to drive down to see it, you can make it an all day thing!!
Thanks for trying to help me find a silver lining, but I don't drink.

Fulton44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:07 PM
  #81
drownedsailors
Registered User
 
drownedsailors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 1,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton44 View Post
Thanks for trying to help me find a silver lining, but I don't drink.
Respect.

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:42 PM
  #82
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton44 View Post
That says a lot about the NHL that they are supposed to be a major sport and are moving around their big New years day game because they are afraid to be up against the NFL. Maybe one day the NHL is going to wake up and realize that they are spot with a "cult" following. There are die-hard NHL fans who follow it no matter what, and people who don't give a crap about it, and not whole lot inbetween. The NHL continues to pandor to and worry about the "casual fan" or in attracting new fans when it just doesn't really work for them.
I'm an NHL and an NFL fan. It's also the last week of the NFL regular season, so the games could have a huge impact on the playoffs. A sure way to guarantee that the NHL gets incredibly low ratings is to fight for viewers with the NFL under those circumstances. Not only from "casual" NHL fans, but from a lot of diehards. If the NFL game means a lot to my team, and the game were the Pens vs Caps, I'd be watching the Titans.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:46 AM
  #83
Ghost of Downie*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I'm an NHL and an NFL fan. It's also the last week of the NFL regular season, so the games could have a huge impact on the playoffs. A sure way to guarantee that the NHL gets incredibly low ratings is to fight for viewers with the NFL under those circumstances. Not only from "casual" NHL fans, but from a lot of diehards. If the NFL game means a lot to my team, and the game were the Pens vs Caps, I'd be watching the Titans.
Guess you don't have to worry about that a lot...

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 12:54 AM
  #84
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton44 View Post
That says a lot about the NHL that they are supposed to be a major sport and are moving around their big New years day game because they are afraid to be up against the NFL. Maybe one day the NHL is going to wake up and realize that they are spot with a "cult" following. There are die-hard NHL fans who follow it no matter what, and people who don't give a crap about it, and not whole lot inbetween. The NHL continues to pandor to and worry about the "casual fan" or in attracting new fans when it just doesn't really work for them.
Food for thought, man: NBC is televising the game... and they have about 90% of the control over the Winter Classic (this has been established as fact). If you're talking about a prime time game (8 pm) then NBC cannot broadcast the Winter Classic against the NFL... because NBC will be broadcasting a NFL game (theoretically). If it's a day game you're talking about, why does NBC want to put its ratings against the NFL? On top of that, you have the complication (for NBC) of the game potentially being delayed like last year and creating a major conflict.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 06:52 AM
  #85
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
Guess you don't have to worry about that a lot...
I'm always hopeful. Not optimistic, but hopeful!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 07:13 AM
  #86
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
I fully understand what the networks and the league are doing in moving it to accomodate the NFL schedule. It's essential to their ratings and profits. I get that.

It still pisses me off to no end, though, as a hockey fan. I understand and accept the reasoning, but as someone who honestly only cares about hockey, the idea of bumping an event like this for football bothers me. It was such a nice New Year's Day tradition they had going, but they're already caving. Sometimes I wonder if it's behavior like that - the "we're the smallest sport, so let's plan accordingly and move our marquee events so we don't step on our big brothers' toes" mindset - that helps keep the NHL in its place...

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:04 AM
  #87
Cmoneyflyguy
Registered User
 
Cmoneyflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wayne, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton44 View Post

That's your opinion and I respect that, it doesn't appeal to me at all though. 8 pm on a monday night, not a holiday, to me it just takes everything special way from the winter classic and it just makes it some game being played outside.
Monday is a holiday in the US

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 08:12 AM
  #88
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I fully understand what the networks and the league are doing in moving it to accomodate the NFL schedule. It's essential to their ratings and profits. I get that.

It still pisses me off to no end, though, as a hockey fan. I understand and accept the reasoning, but as someone who honestly only cares about hockey, the idea of bumping an event like this for football bothers me. It was such a nice New Year's Day tradition they had going, but they're already caving. Sometimes I wonder if it's behavior like that - the "we're the smallest sport, so let's plan accordingly and move our marquee events so we don't step on our big brothers' toes" mindset - that helps keep the NHL in its place...
1) It is a business and you are advocating what would be a bad business decision.

2) I personally think it takes a lot morevto develop a tradition than a few years.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:16 PM
  #89
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 42,458
vCash: 2539
The official NHL schedule has the Winter Classic at 1:00 p.m. ET.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:23 PM
  #90
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,092
vCash: 500
is Jan 2nd a holiday?

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:24 PM
  #91
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 42,458
vCash: 2539
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
is Jan 2nd a holiday?
Yes, because January 1 falls on a Sunday. The federal law is that the following day is the observed holiday when it otherwise comes on a Sunday.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:24 PM
  #92
Ghost of Downie*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
is Jan 2nd a holiday?
I'm pretty sure it will be observed as one in the US, due to January 1st falling on Sunday.

EDIT: Damnit, MSE!

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:24 PM
  #93
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 47,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
is Jan 2nd a holiday?
If it is, it's news to me.

edit: Actually, I think the holiday falls on the first day of the week when it occurs on a weekend, now that I mull it over.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:26 PM
  #94
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 42,458
vCash: 2539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
I'm pretty sure it will be observed as one in the US, due to January 1st falling on Sunday.

EDIT: Damnit, MSE!
I'm amused the NHL's official release for "schedule highlights." I posted it in the sticky.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:27 PM
  #95
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 47,639
vCash: 500
ARGH, damn you both.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:31 PM
  #96
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,092
vCash: 500
i guess 1pm makes sense then

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.