HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Carle Trade

Old
06-10-2011, 06:59 AM
VanSciver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Every D on this team pinches a lot because that is the way this system runs. Look at OD, that old man was pinching none stop yet he kept getting burned and he did that because the system calls for the D's to pinch a lot. Kimmo was even getting beat a lot because of his pinches.
Exactly, it's by design. Look at the system and how it's played. And look at what is supposed to happen behind a defenseman when he pinches. And then you'll know where the breakdown is.

And having or not having a slapshot has absolutely nothing to do with a defenseman pinching.

Last edited by VanSciver: 06-10-2011 at 07:44 AM.
VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:42 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
A big reason why we had so many 2-1's is the fact that Carle pinches a LOT. Since he has no slapshot, he pretty much needs to though.
On top of that speak to the goaltending debate. We'd probably pinch more with Bryzgalov.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Let's not make this a personal debate guys. Matt Carle debates are always a pain in the ass to start with.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:52 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by go david krejci 430 View Post
Let's not make this a personal debate guys. Matt Carle debates are always a pain in the ass to start with.
As is watching him play defense.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:58 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
As is watching him play defense.
lol

I don't think he's THAT bad in his own end. But he is the worst on the team. And I'd like him to be moved.

Another thing to consider, which I rarely see brought up is that Carle is a UFA after this season anyway, and chances are he wouldn't be brought back (unless the new TV deal really gives us a ton of money). So why not move him now to get something while he still has quite a bit of value.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Codith

When Pronger isn't by Carle's side, he looks like a lost puppy

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:16 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
lol

I don't think he's THAT bad in his own end. But he is the worst on the team. And I'd like him to be moved.

Another thing to consider, which I rarely see brought up is that Carle is a UFA after this season anyway, and chances are he wouldn't be brought back (unless the new TV deal really gives us a ton of money). So why not move him now to get something while he still has quite a bit of value.
The only player we really have to give money to is JVR next year.

Coburn won't get a huge raise. Carle wouldn't either. Versteeg, if we keep him, wouldn't either.

So we're going to get a nice chunk of cap space, but it's not like we need more. JVR's the only one going to get a substantial raise that year.

Then I believe the year after that Timonen and Hartnell come off the books for another 10.50m to spend on a new defensive anchor.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:01 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
On top of that speak to the goaltending debate. We'd probably pinch more with Bryzgalov.
Yeah with Leighton and Boosh it was like pinching a loaf whenever the D pinched!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:49 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
I don't think it is possible to pinch more than we did last season. And no goalie even in the playoffs would stand a chance against that many 2 on 1s. Yes, the Carle debate is getting old...

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:56 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Versteeg is also still an RFA after next season. There is more control over him.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:53 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We're in salary cap hell? The only key piece of our team not locked in right now is JVR... and next summer the cap is going to see a massive boost due to the 6M per team in TV money that is getting distributed this year.

The only thing we need to do is carve out room for a goalie... would hardly call that "hell". We have a cap "problem," but there are obvious solutions. It isn't like Carle is an albatross.
Quote:
...we have 18 players under contract, too. Including some actual *ing talent, which I understand is a difficult situation to understand in Toronto.

We don't need top line defenders.

We don't need top line forwards.

We need to fill out the bottom of our roster, and sign a goalie.

We have players other teams actually want. Again, something I understand is difficult to understand in Toronto.

On top of that, the cap will go up this summer and will go up a LOT next summer.

Is it ideal? No. Ideal would be having a goalie locked in as well, but that's something that can be accomplished. It is not, however, cap hell. Largely due to the fact that Carter signed for a cap hit far below expected. Your claims to the contrary are an affirmation of your ignorance, and nothing else.

If we are in cap hell, I would like to see you enumerate the list of players we are at risk of losing this year that will severely affect this team. Leino is not one of those players.

Holmgren is an idiot, and he's gutted our farm system and hurt us a fair amount. He has, however, managed to lock up most of his key roster players to contracts at reasonable cap hits right now. He needs to get a goalie, and there are obvious pieces to aid in getting that done.

You don't "need" a rebuttal, because you don't have one. Congrats on being one more black mark on the intelligence of Leaf fans.
You were saying???

I guess Carter was never a core player now?

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
You were saying???

I guess Carter was never a core player now?
We got a young forward, the 8th overall, and another pick. At best, it's a modest savings. If we were in cap he'll, we wouldn't really be in a position to take on salary. Would we?

This almost certainly has something to do with the room as well.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 03:01 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
We got a young forward, the 8th overall, and another pick. At best, it's a modest savings. If we were in cap he'll, we wouldn't really be in a position to take on salary. Would we?

This almost certainly has something to do with the room as well.

no offense, you're a dunce

Old
06-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Jester

Quote:

no offense, you're a dunce
None taken. As a matter of principal I don't take offense when people have to look up words before using them.

Old
06-23-2011, 03:15 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
None taken. As a matter of principal I don't take offense when people have to look up words before using them.
just admit you were wrong dude. Be a man

Old
06-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
just admit you were wrong dude. Be a man
Dude, we just traded Carter and Richards (presumably) if you think that is driven by the salary cap, then you've failed at life.

You're also a troll, but that's another matter.