HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Reports Flyers Trade Carter to CBJ, Richards to LAK; Sign Bryzgalov for 9 years

Old
06-23-2011, 04:17 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
Quick Sather jump in and try to grab Giroux while Homer is in trade mode.

He seems so delusional he may have completely lost control.

Grioux for EC and Gilroy's rights, get it doen Slats!!

But on a serious note I know the Flyers have a really good young core now, but trading their top 2 centers away on the same day is shocking.

06-23-2011, 04:17 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Well I guess the conversation will shift from the sticky'd NHL thread to here... I said in that thread, I don't understand the timing. Richards & Carter were experienced NHL players ready to compete now. They traded them away so they could sign a legit #1 goaltender, and traded them for younger and more inexperienced players. In the case of Brayden Schenn, he only has 8 games NHL experience. This bolsters their depth in net, but weakens their depth up front for the immediate future. I wonder if by the time these younger players are more experienced and really ready to step up and contribute in a significant manner, if the rest of their roster will experience more turnover. Pronger isn't getting any younger, and had multiple injuries last season. Timonen with just 2 years remaining on his contract. Coburn & Carle are both UFA's next summer. They may find themselves trying to address their depth on defense a couple years out.

I don't see them as being a threat with a younger team up front. I would give the nod to the Bruins, Lightning, or a healthy Penguins roster over how Philly's current depth is shaping up.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

looks like capgeek is right....didnt realize schenns cap hit is so huge.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
What gift? This is still a very talented Flyers team and I'm sure there's a plan...as if they would actually lay down just for us.
They can't fit Richards without gutting the team even further. As they sit, they are worse today by a decent amount. Simmonds and Voracek are both going to get near 3M as RFAs.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:19 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
has capgeek updated the cap number yet? it still may be using last years cap number.
Yep its using it, plus they have to resign Voracek and Simmonds.

If they want to be in on Richards they probably have to get rid of another contract, probably 2, and then even at that you have to replace them.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:24 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
has capgeek updated the cap number yet? it still may be using last years cap number.
Nope...it's got the updated cap figure.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Still trying to absorb this all.

Nothing against Bryzgalov, but, I mean, that's a shocking commitment.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:34 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
They can't fit Richards without gutting the team even further. As they sit, they are worse today by a decent amount. Simmonds and Voracek are both going to get near 3M as RFAs.
I've got a feeling Simmonds is waiting to see what Dubi and Cally get on their next deals, so that Simmonds number could even be higher.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:37 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
It's on BIG TIME.

The guy who has to be smiling right now is Richards. I'm thinking there would be a pretty serious bidding war shaping up.

Always liked Simmonds as a player. Very much the kind of player I think Biggs will be. Nothing flashy, but big, powerful, drive the net and hits hard. A pain to play against.

You gotta hand it to 'em. The Fleas have no trouble pulling the trigger and reshaping their entire team.

Things could get pretty wild in the next 24 hours.
Actually I think the Kings were one of the three teams likely to go big for Brad Richards. Now it's down to 2 -- NYR and T.O.

The Carter trade I understand for the Flyers. Can't play 4 centers. The Richards trade I don't understand at all. You are turning the locker room over to a 36 year old Chris Pronger and gutting your young veteran leadership. Mike Richards was (is) a heart and soul player. Those don't come along that often. He makes the LA Kings a very formidable team and a Stanley Cup contender.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Pardon my language, but Holy ****ing ****. Are they gutting their team? I don't care if Schenn is a top prospect, he's a relatively unknown and they shouldn't have traded a great NHLer like Mike Richards for him. But hey, now we don't have to see either of them 6 times a year.

This also probably take LAK out of the Brad Richards sweepstakes.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:40 PM
beastly115

Holy ****ing **** what is Philly thinking? Re-build mode with 2 stud young players being the first to go? You'd think they'd start with Pronger and work their way down. Wow.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Actually I think the Kings were one of the three teams likely to go big for Brad Richards. Now it's down to 2 -- NYR and T.O.

The Carter trade I understand for the Flyers. Can't play 4 centers. The Richards trade I don't understand at all. You are turning the locker room over to a 36 year old Chris Pronger and gutting your young veteran leadership. Mike Richards was (is) a heart and soul player. Those don't come along that often. He makes the LA Kings a very formidable team and a Stanley Cup contender.
You and some other folks are making some good points here. I can always benefit from everyone's knowledge. But I confess to being pretty confused. Why would the Fleas do this? There must be more going on here that we don't know.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:51 PM
broadwayblue

What's the general mood in the flyers forum?

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:53 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Holy ****ing **** what is Philly thinking? Re-build mode with 2 stud young players being the first to go? You'd think they'd start with Pronger and work their way down. Wow.
Not gonna see many teams banging down the door for a 37 yr old D-man with a really bad back and a monster contract.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Flyers are after Brad Richards, mark my words.

That or they are rebuilding full on. But if they are rebuilding, why trade away two 26-year-olds instead of Pronger, Timonen, Briere, O'Donnell, Shelley?

And if they are after Brad Richards, again, why clear space by dealing their young stars?

Well, at least LA is out of the running for Brad. Too bad we did not deal them Gabby for Schenn. On the other hand, our division rival just got much, much weaker. The Rangers are suddenly the second-best team in Atlantic.

Last edited by Beacon: 06-23-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Well i've heard LA is interested in Statstny. I think a good trade for both sides would be Gaborik for Richards. LA trades for Statstny, they have a line of Kopitar-Statstny-Gaborik.

Rangers get a player which fits the identity they want, Richards brings talent heart and grit game in and out. Gaborik does not.

We get the first line center we need to move forward.

We'd obviously need a winger after this but i like the team dynamic a lot better with Richards than with Gaborik.

Rust Heisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:57 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:

NHL LIVE saying that there may have been some off-ice and lockeroom issues going on there..

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:57 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
What's the general mood in the flyers forum?
Confused and pissed off, it seems. They are none too pleased about trading away Richards and are unhappy about the length of Bryz's contract.

I would be bitter if I was a Flyers fan. Two homegrown players traded away within minutes of each other, one of whom was a a captain and the other who was capable of scoring 35-40 goals a season. That must be demoralizing.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Ladies and Gentlemen, for the love of all that is holy, please do not let your Flyer fan friends near ropes or sharp objects. Their whole fan base has officially been placed on Suicide Watch.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Confused and pissed off, it seems. They are none too pleased about trading away Richards and are unhappy about the length of Bryz's contract.

I would be bitter if I was a Flyers fan. Two homegrown players traded away within minutes of each other, one of whom was a a captain and the other who was capable of scoring 35-40 goals a season. That must be demoralizing.

Imagine the Rangers traded away Staal and Lundqvist for prospects and picks.

Old
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The Flyers, after these deals, have $7.5 million in available cap space, and still have to sign Simmonds, Voracek and Leino. Holmgren's got a lot more work to do to fit Richards in, too.
Leino has made Briere a better player. Briere has shined playing with Leino. The Flyers want to re-sign him at the end of the season but they had tagging issues. Their commitments with Leino at $4 million for 11-12 was more than $59.4 million upper limit.

Nodl is also a group II.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blueblood 2

Carter and Richards are good buddies. Good drinking buddies. Too much of the latter. Scottie Upshall was traded two years ago because he was part of the party club. Pronger is old school and didn't like the commitment or leadership level. Coach Lavy couldn't get through to the anointed guys with the long term contracts and million dollar shore houses. The malaise was spreading to young guys, particularly Giroux and the Flyers were forced to blow it up. The locker room was choosing sides and obviously the Coach and Pronger won the war. Four straight losses to the Bruins sealed the deal. If you recall, Carter sat out a few games with a suddenly sore knee, then played the last two. Richards disappeared on the ice. There are more reported details locally but you get the picture. Richards comes out smelling like a rose in LA where he can contend for a Cup now and upgrade his choices in young women! Flyers get the cap space to sign the goalie they have needed for years.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:04 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
That or they are rebuilding full on. But if they are rebuilding, why trade away two 26-year-olds instead of Pronger, Timonen, Briere, O'Donnell, Shelley?

And if they are after Brad Richards, again, why clear space by dealing their young stars?

Well, at least LA is out of the running for Brad. Too bad we did not deal them Gabby for Schenn.
yea, i know, we could've been a lottery team... sigh...

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:08 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

use the Around the NHL thread sir
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=924337

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:13 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

Yeah, I like this move for L.A. as well. Happy to see Richards out of our conference and in the West.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote