HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Draft: The Rangers? First Round Selection, Among Other Draft Thoughts

Old
06-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
The Draft: The Rangers? First Round Selection, Among Other Draft Thoughts

The NHL Entry Draft begins tomorrow night in St. Paul, and as it stands this morning, the Rangers have the fewest picks of all 30 NHL teams–four selections (numbered 15, 105, 133, and 135). Two things need to be said about this. First, in making the June 1 trade for Tim Erixon, in which the [...]

More...

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:41 AM
NYR Viper

Hey Leslie, great piece. What are your thoughts on Mark McNeil? I really like him and think he has that Ryan Kesler/Brandon Dubinsky esque playing style that we all love. He is a big body and has some skill as well as being a complete player. He seems like he would fit the mold of a Ranger draft pick but I'm not sure he will be available.

Have you heard anything on him?

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Pizza

Nice article Leslie.

I also think Biggs is a solid pick. Especially in this draft. Worth taking a chance on, since we already addressed a strong need in acquiring Erixon.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

I think a lot of people overvalue picks in trades. Bottom line is draft picks are always a huge gamble. There's always a good chance whoever you pick never even sees time in the NHL.

I remember people complaining how we "wasted" a 7th round pick in that trade for some 4th liner, and me and a lot of other people couldn't believe people were actually whining. Most 7th rounders don't even make it in the AHL, and if you actually need players that far down in the draft, you can just sign players who didn't get drafted who are of the same caliber as players in the 7th round.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:36 PM
eco's bones

Excellent piece of work, Leslie.

Kind of thinking that the Rangers are figuring McNeill or Biggs being the pick unless someone really significant falls.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:01 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Very good work as usual.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
there are not enough players that are fairly low risk elite scorers in this draft for one to fall to the Rangers
Thank you!

I've been trying to argue this point for a while. There are not enough low-risk scorers in the draft, so the Rangers must make a choice: go low-risk for a future bottom-6 player or go high-risk for a Giroux-type player.

My choice, to be honest, would be to move down and pick up a couple of extra picks and have 3 stabs at Chris Thomas-like players, so I really don't agree with your choice of Biggs.

You wrote that the Rangers don't have a guy like that, but I think they do: Dale Weise. Now let me be clear, my expectations for Weise are somewhat higher than that of most people here because I am basing it on his Hartford play and not merely his few games in the NHL when he was just trying to avoid making a mistake. Dale is a solid player who put up points on the board in Hartford, is tough and doesn't make too many errors. I see him making the Rangers at some point mid-way through the next season if he continues to work hard and improve.

Weise at a minimum will be an excellent fourth liner, but he has a decent chance to become a solid third line player. That's what I think Biggs is... except he's four years behind and people still have hopes that he will develop beyond expectations... though the reality is that he is more likely to be go bust than to go boom.

I really don't see how at this point Biggs is a superior prospect to Weise. Since they play the same position and a similar style, I don't see the point in taking Biggs.

Last edited by Beacon: 06-23-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Edge

I think it's important to recognize the Erixon trade when evaluating this draft. In essence, Erixon became our top pick.

Having said that, my hope is that McNeill is still on the board at 15. I think he's tough enough to add that element to the cupboard, but a bit more skilled than a kid like Biggs. I like Biggs, I just can't see his offense being higher than maybe a Chris Neil type. While that's a great type of player to have, I don't know if it's something I would take 15th overall.

If Biggs is the guy they want, they might be able to slide down a little bit and pick up an extra pick in maybe the third round.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 04:55 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I hope we package our 1st round pick for some talent

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I like Biggs, I just can't see his offense being higher than maybe a Chris Neil type. While that's a great type of player to have, I don't know if it's something I would take 15th overall.
I think Weise will be as good as Neil, though maybe not as aggressive, and Biggs won't be as aggressive either probably. No need to double up on those kinds of players.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:14 PM
gotmonte

I PRAY the Rangers package this 15th pick and some high level prospect to get a 1c or VERY GOOD 2c NHL player.

With all the moves Philly made, there MUST be a reason why they created ALL THAT CAP SPACE. They only needed 5.x a year cap space for Bryz'. So I really believe they are going after the "other" richards. And I can see Brad signing in Philly too. Philly is known as a hockey town and meat and potato's type of city which I think Brad is. Same mold.

So, I see us losing out on Brad Richards to one of our arch rivals. Leaving us holding the bag. So we need to be "proactive" and not "reactive" and get ourselves a cheap good to very good center (cheap I mean money wise.. Not how much talent we have to trade).

I am good with Dubinsky/15th overall/thomas for Stastny. I am sure I will be flamed but in this league you need to give to get (although Looking at what philly got for M. Richards.. you may not have to give AS MUCH to get a star player. I mean, Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds? WTF?)

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:39 PM
CH2

Trade down for picks next year. Grimaldi.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:31 AM
KingWantsCup
United we stand

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
Trade down for picks next year. Grimaldi.
This this this this this this this. Next year is supposed to be a kick ass draft. I'd kill to ship our first rounder this year for another one next year.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 03:26 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
I PRAY the Rangers package this 15th pick and some high level prospect to get a 1c or VERY GOOD 2c NHL player.

With all the moves Philly made, there MUST be a reason why they created ALL THAT CAP SPACE. They only needed 5.x a year cap space for Bryz'. So I really believe they are going after the "other" richards. And I can see Brad signing in Philly too. Philly is known as a hockey town and meat and potato's type of city which I think Brad is. Same mold.

So, I see us losing out on Brad Richards to one of our arch rivals. Leaving us holding the bag. So we need to be "proactive" and not "reactive" and get ourselves a cheap good to very good center (cheap I mean money wise.. Not how much talent we have to trade).

I am good with Dubinsky/15th overall/thomas for Stastny. I am sure I will be flamed but in this league you need to give to get (although Looking at what philly got for M. Richards.. you may not have to give AS MUCH to get a star player. I mean, Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds? WTF?)
The Flyers still don't have a lot of cap space. They have about $7.5 mil to work with and several RFA's to sign including two guys they just got Voracek, Simmonds who are going to cost them about half of that cap space--maybe more. Then there is Carcillo, Nodl, Powe. They're not a Richards contender unless they do a bit more work. Part of their plan may be to buy out Shelley, Leighton and Laperriere probably retires but it still doesn't give them a lot to work with.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:51 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think it's important to recognize the Erixon trade when evaluating this draft. In essence, Erixon became our top pick.

Having said that, my hope is that McNeill is still on the board at 15. I think he's tough enough to add that element to the cupboard, but a bit more skilled than a kid like Biggs. I like Biggs, I just can't see his offense being higher than maybe a Chris Neil type. While that's a great type of player to have, I don't know if it's something I would take 15th overall.

If Biggs is the guy they want, they might be able to slide down a little bit and pick up an extra pick in maybe the third round.
Exactly. I'm by no means against Biggs as a player - I'm just against Biggs at 15. If he's your guy, you move down to get him.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:07 AM
mike14

Rangers trade their first, Dubinsky, girardi and a D-prospect to Col for Stastny and a late pick......

or

Rangers draft McNeil or Miller

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:55 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Rangers trade their first, Dubinsky, girardi and a D-prospect to Col for Stastny and a late pick......

or

Rangers draft McNeil or Miller
Let's trade callahan for heatley while were at it. Trading dubinsky is dumb. Stastny is a good player but he is the player rangers get if they are one player away from making a run....

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:58 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Let's trade callahan for heatley while were at it. Trading dubinsky is dumb. Stastny is a good player but he is the player rangers get if they are one player away from making a run....
Hey, I'm not a fan of it. It's just my crazy, draft day deal

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 07:06 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

i have absolutely no problem what so ever trading 15, next yrs 2nd and del zotto or mcilrath if we can land a player to help us score goals now. in fact, i might prefer that we do that.

mdz is a wildcard. he may come back to form or he may never be the player we hoped. he didnt play last year, so really hes not a roster player.

mcilrath's value may be at its highest right now, before he begins to resemble a 2nd rounder more than the 10th pick. waiting too long on him will be a mistake.

after seeing what la was able to do, i have a hard time believing that we couldnt find a scoring wing with a package.

lombardi was able to land an impact payer in his prime by moving top prospects. same with cbus. move prospects for guys in their prime who can hep now and for the next 3-5 years. hanks not getting any younger.

and here's another thing, roman horak was moved because he projected to be another 3c/perhaps 2c pivot. we seem set there with arty and dstep. both young core type guys that torts seems to like. horak had no where to play, thus hes moved.

why draft another guy who falls right back into that same slot. stupid. the mcneill/millers look like bigger, tougher albeit much slower and perhaps less talented versions of horak.

and whatever we do, please just dont call the name tyler biggs on draft day.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:06 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

I really want the Rangers to draft either Miller, McNeil or Scheifele .

If they want Biggs, for the love of all that is holy, move back. Maybe they can wrestle away a second for next year.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:56 AM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Who cares if we aren't one player away. Stastny is not a "one player away" guy. He is a player you build your team around. If you replace Dubi with Anisimov and don't include either Krieder or Thomas in such a deal, then you have to do something like that. I just think that this will all not matter when Slats opens up his wallet for Richards. Sather then will spend his time finding a wing to put with BR and Gabs.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:10 AM
JimmyStart*

Please, please, please, please, PLEAAASE draft Biggs...before the Rangers are up! (Plea to the other 14 teams)

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Jacques Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
i have absolutely no problem what so ever trading 15, next yrs 2nd and del zotto or mcilrath if we can land a player to help us score goals now. in fact, i might prefer that we do that.

mdz is a wildcard. he may come back to form or he may never be the player we hoped. he didnt play last year, so really hes not a roster player.

mcilrath's value may be at its highest right now, before he begins to resemble a 2nd rounder more than the 10th pick. waiting too long on him will be a mistake.

after seeing what la was able to do, i have a hard time believing that we couldnt find a scoring wing with a package.

lombardi was able to land an impact payer in his prime by moving top prospects. same with cbus. move prospects for guys in their prime who can hep now and for the next 3-5 years. hanks not getting any younger.

and here's another thing, roman horak was moved because he projected to be another 3c/perhaps 2c pivot. we seem set there with arty and dstep. both young core type guys that torts seems to like. horak had no where to play, thus hes moved.

why draft another guy who falls right back into that same slot. stupid. the mcneill/millers look like bigger, tougher albeit much slower and perhaps less talented versions of horak.

and whatever we do, please just dont call the name tyler biggs on draft day.

Would you be saying that if his name Taras Byggov? I doubt it?

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Vitto79

Gross mentioned the Yotes as a potential partner again, 15 for 20 and one of their 2nds

I would fine with that if the guy they want is not on the board

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:10 AM
MorrisWanchuk

my draft day want - mcneill
my draft day do not want - grimaldi

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote