HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Still a Flyers fan?

View Poll Results: Still a Flyer's fan?
Yes 195 53.57%
Still thinking about it... 7 1.92%
Sort of hard right now... but yes. 47 12.91%
No, this is too far. 75 20.60%
What can you do? 40 10.99%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-23-2011, 05:27 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Of course I am still a Flyers fan and I always will be, but with that said this is one of my darkest days as a Flyers fan. I've been a fan of both Carter and Richards since before we drafted them. Obviously if Gretzky got traded anyone could. But even though I considered trading Carter a vague possibility I didn't really think Richards would be traded. In never thought for a second they would both be traded let alone on the same day. Richards was my favorite player on the team, and I will root for them both when they aren't playing the Flyers. It's made worse by the fact that I'm not really in love with the return for either. I'm still a Flyers fan but it's going to take some time to get over this one.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:27 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

vCash: 500
Relax they're making runs at Brad Richards, Steven Stamkos, and I'm hearing other top players in the rumors. I love the Richards trade. I was never a big fan and we got the top prospect in hockey. We almost got Ryan Johansen in the Carter trade too but we didn't so I'm sad

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:28 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
It may be a drunk rant, but how come we deal Richie and keep steeg, carcillo, shelley, walker, leighton? WTF?
Because garbage doesn't net you the return we just got.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Unstable

It's a team sport. 'Nuff said.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Ghost of Downie*

I will never stop being a Flyers fan. That's what makes these trades so tough to swallow.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:33 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
It's a team sport. 'Nuff said.

This is something everyone needs to read again. Yea it really sucks losing Richards and Carter, but the Flyers are my team, always have been, always will be. Anyone who doesn't want to be a fan after two trades can leave and never come back.

Go Flyers!

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:33 PM
DutchDennis

Flabbergasted. I'm feeling excited en ill to my stomach the same time.
Must say that I think Giroux and JVR are ready to take over. Guessing there were more troubles in the locker room than I was aware of.

Losing Gags, (after Johnny Vermont my all time favourite Flyer) hurt incredible.

Losing Carter I can deal with. But also losing Richards....Really thought we had a new Mr. Philadelphia Flyers in him.. I was so wrong.

Homer can only make up for this if het get rid of Shelly, Versteeg and Leighton, otherwise.. I don't know...

Forever a Flyers fan... never again a Homer fan...

DutchDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
You can't really blame Homer for this. It's doubtful this was his idea.

skoods

You guys are crazy. This team failed and wasn't as good as people made it out to be.

People are really underrating Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, and the #8 and overrating Richards and Carter. All the times those two players made us want to shoot ourselves...and now we have tremendous young talent and a star goalie.

Anyone who would stop being a fan because of a transaction or two was never really a fan at all.

skoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

Management knows something we don't. There was a BIG problem in that dressing room. I'm sure everybody here loves how Richards plays on the ice, but I'm sure there was something off the ice that was bad enough to force a trade.

Looking forward, I'm happy.

Giroux - 23
van Riemsdyk - 22
Simmonds - 22
Voracek - 21
Schenn - 19

Solid forward core moving forward. Briere and Hartnell and whoever else they add (Leino resigned?) will provide leadership and stability allowing these kids to develop.

Meszaros - 25
Coburn - 26
Carle - 26

Young enough to hit their prime in the next 3 years, long enough to let our young kids up front develop. Pronger and Timonen are going to provide great leadership to the whole team next season, and they aren't washed up YET. Even when Timonen goes thats $6M more money to work with ...

Bryzgalov and Bobrovsky will be perfect. Stupid term (NINE ****ING YEARS?!) but welcome to the Flyers ...

Plus, the draft. #8 might look like a crapshoot but I see that pick becoming a great player be it Murphy, Zibanejad, Beaulieu or someone who falls from the top 7 (teach me how to DOUGIE!).

I hate losing Richards. I didn't expect it at all ... and life goes on.

phillyflyerfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
No. No.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:43 PM
FLYERSxGIROUX28

anyone who says no was never a fan to begin with. **** happens. we won the carter trade. and these rumors about stamkos actually make sense. regardless, with the richards trade we are going to go out and get an additional piece. we'll see how it goes.

FLYERSxGIROUX28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:43 PM
philly flyers fan

to echo the sentiments of many, Flyers fan until the day I die, but definitely shocked. Was expecting the Carter deal, but the Richards deal came out of nowhere.

philly flyers fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:44 PM
JCameron418

If you're not a Flyers fan after this then you never were a Flyers fan to begin with.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

The more I think about these trades the less upset I get about it. I'd love to still have Richards but we got a lot of young talent. Richards era in Philadelphia was over, it was pretty obvious to me with his recent play. I fooled myself in believing he'd be a Flyer for life but he couldn't stand the pressure of being the C in a big market and dealing with the media. I'm stocked to see Simmonds in the Orange though.

Philadelphia Ducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:46 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
If you're not a Flyers fan after this then you never were a Flyers fan to begin with.
Boom.

I'm Flyers till I die, I'm Flyers till I die

I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Flyers till I die.

Can't wait too hear about the other moves Homer is about to make! LGF!!!

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
I understand wanting to bail, believe me. When the Habs did not resign Saku Koivu, I was crushed. He was my favorite player in the league and I even went as far as distancing myself from the Habs, hence why I followed other teams. Despite that, you never can give up on your team. When the face of your franchise is dealt, it really is the ultimate test. I still came back to the Habs, hell I never missed a game. They are not my top team anymore though...

This gets easier but wow... I am at a loss for words on the trades. The Carter return is actually quite solid, especially if some of the higher up wingers drop down in the draft however even with Schenn. I still cannot fathom why Richards was traded. Was he that much of a locker room cancer?

I suppose you can take solace is your future is amazing but I'm afraid that is a couple years off. Regardless, even though we have our rivalries. I'm hopeful everything works out in this trade. I actually like the Flyers, hell of a passionate fanbase. Can't have you guys not competing.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:51 PM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
Peace out guys, I appreciate the great fans on this board and past 10 years of amazing Flyers hockey.

However, as you can tell from both my user name and location, this transition to the Los Angeles Kings will be easier for me. I do not owe the Flyers anything, I have never been to the city and only started to follow them religiously once they acquired my favorite player at the time, Jeremy Roenick in the early 2000s. I stayed with the team during the year that we shall not speak of and have shown my loyalty to the Flyers more times than I can remember, but this is the fork in the road for me. I followed Richards since he was a Ranger and was at the game at the AUD scored a hatty in the OHL playoffs and all the way through his career with the Flyers. Although I have intensely watched more than 75 games per year over the past 5 years, Los Angeles is my city. This is a very sad day for me, but the Flyers will thrive and prosper.

I will fondly remember my days as a Philadelphia Flyers fan, I wish the team and its amazing fans the best of luck into the future.
not to be a dick or anything...but, you were never a flyers fan if you are going to stop following them after richards is traded. you were only a fan of players, not the team.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:51 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I was a Flyers fan before Richards and Carter, and I'll be a Flyers fan after. But right now, I don't like this organization much. That will change, but I don't know that I can pour my heart into them the way I have in the past few years.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Of course.

Gagne hurt more for me.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
Now I'm even harder fan than ever before.

Our GM got ballz
I'm with this guy!!! Homer has changed the direction he is taking this team in a heartbeat, and until we see how it all pans out, no-one knows anything.

The future is bright, the future is orange

Let's not pass comment until we see the finished article of a team for the coming year shall we? Who knows who else is coming/going or who the 8th pick will be (my guess is best available Dman)

Will you all be as pissed if we land Stamkos to be #1C?

Having said all this, I don't even live in America, and I wonder how I'd feel if Aston Villa pulled a move like this!!

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:10 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

The more I think about this deal. The more I'm starting to see the good in it. Schenn is one of the most touted prospects in hockey, and voracek is a player that is due for a break out season. Simmonds brings a toughness and net front presence that we were missing, and is still continuing to grow as a player. If we can SOMEHOW get larsson out of all this, I will be extremely pleased. I'd even be content with dougie Hamilton.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:11 PM
ph

Blind following the blind. Saying they only traded away two players is a huge understatement. They didn't just trade two players. They traded our two best forwards who are both 26 and are both signed to cap friendly contracts for their production. And it's not like we traded a star player for a star player. We got prospects back. Both trades were salary dumps. Also, look at a track record with trading away young promising players. When Richards is scoring 80+ points again and Carter is nearing 50 goals this will not look so good unless Holmgren can see into the future and knows these 2 trades will win us the cup this year.

ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:12 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
I'm with this guy!!! Homer has changed the direction he is taking this team in a heartbeat, and until we see how it all pans out, no-one knows anything.

The future is bright, the future is orange

Let's not pass comment until we see the finished article of a team for the coming year shall we? Who knows who else is coming/going or who the 8th pick will be (my guess is best available Dman)

Will you all be as pissed if we land Stamkos to be #1C?

Having said all this, I don't even live in America, and I wonder how I'd feel if Aston Villa pulled a move like this!!
^ This....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:12 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Stamkos isn't happening, are you guys insane?

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote