HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Food for thought: Kovalchuk (merged)

View Poll Results: Is Kovalchuk worth 3-4 1st round picks?
Yes 96 56.14%
No 75 43.86%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2005, 08:55 AM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
one question...why would atlanta trade kovulchuk?
One comment..... Im just posting a rumor going around I dont know.Your asking me like I made the proposal or the rumor

Old
08-30-2005, 08:57 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
yeah i wasn't exactly replying to you, just to the rumor...i dont' see why atlanta would want to trade kovulchuck...he's not even elligable for free agency for many more years, and hell even if he wants a lot of money, you pay him a lot of money cuz he's one of the best in the league

Old
08-30-2005, 09:18 AM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
one question...why would atlanta trade kovulchuk?
Sign and deal, like Hossa?

Old
08-30-2005, 09:27 AM
Levitate

but why? what would they gain from it? unless they're worried about the cap, i'm not sure what they're at right now...

Old
08-30-2005, 09:48 AM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
I'm guessing for cap reasons; they are at 31 now according to TSN.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=6926

If Kovalchuk was to get the league max (6.8?); that would put them dangeruosly close to the cap. I'm guessing (hoping) that if it were a deal; it would be a Jagr for Ilya trade (not one for one). That would give them a replacement for Ilya but at a much cheaper price (7.8 / 2 = 3.9?).

Old
08-30-2005, 09:49 AM
Levitate

i don't think jagr is going anywhere...it's likely he can't even be traded because of the complexities of his contract, besides the fact he doesn't want to play anywhere else but NY, and might scuttle a deal anyways.

Old
08-30-2005, 10:09 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Nurminen retired, so you can take a million off their total. I also think you look to move Savard or Kozlov to create cap room for your franchise player.

Like Levitate, I just don't see the sense in moving Kovalchuk. If any one player is deserving of a good portion of a team's cap room, it's Ilya. I'm sure this fact is not lost on Waddell.

Old
08-30-2005, 10:35 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
i don't think jagr is going anywhere...it's likely he can't even be traded because of the complexities of his contract, besides the fact he doesn't want to play anywhere else but NY, and might scuttle a deal anyways.
do you have any specifics regarding the complexities of his contract that would prevent him from being traded? this is news to me. last i heard we were on the hook for only 4.4 or 4.8 mil/year and could trade him like any other player. the fact that washington is picking up the remainder of his contract has no bearing on his tradeability. does he have a no-trade clause. i didn't believe he did, so i don't see how he would be able to shoot down a deal. obviously he could simply choose not to report to the other team, but so could anyone who is traded. i don't see why he would be against the opportunity to play for a contender. i'm hoping we deal him at the deadline for a couple of high draft picks and prospects. he is the BEST VALUE in the entire NHL and we should take advantage of that.

Old
08-30-2005, 11:04 AM
Levitate

no, it's speculation, i'll admit that

but do you think other teams really want to acquire jagr when they hear him say stuff like "i don't want to play for any other NHL team but the Rangers". you think they'd be happy when jagr says "this sucks, i dont' want to be traded, i'm unhappy, i wanted to play in new york"? everyone knows how jagr gets when he sulks...it's honestly not that attractive for other teams

Old
08-30-2005, 01:36 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
no, it's speculation, i'll admit that

but do you think other teams really want to acquire jagr when they hear him say stuff like "i don't want to play for any other NHL team but the Rangers". you think they'd be happy when jagr says "this sucks, i dont' want to be traded, i'm unhappy, i wanted to play in new york"? everyone knows how jagr gets when he sulks...it's honestly not that attractive for other teams
so you think that Jagr would rebuke management if they came to him before the deadline and told him that they were considering moving him to a contender? would he really prefer to play for a team that will finish in the lottery for the next couple of years? i honestly don't know how important winning is to him...but it seems to me that he would want to go play somewhere he could make a difference. or maybe i'm dead wrong and he couldn't care less about winning.

Closed Thread