HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reports Flyers Trade Carter to CBJ, Richards to LAK; Sign Bryzgalov for 9 years

Old
06-23-2011, 06:34 PM
RangersFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
sadly the Flyers are still probably a better team than the Rangers currently. their depth is just insane even after the trade. their 2 best players last season were not richards and carter, they were briere and giroux

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
You are grossly overestimating the price it will take to get Richards. The Kings just gave an over rated prospect in Schenn and another top 6 prospect for Richards. That's 2 question marks for a proven 26 year old 1st line center. Take into account that our GM has an amazing track record for trades, and the fact that Richards may have locker room problems, we'll get him considerably cheaper than those proposed trades you have.
Add in Richards is the best PK foward in the NHL, Christ that deal was brutal.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:38 PM
Noonansgoal

If the flyers shipped off Ricahrds and Carter on only the chance to sign Brad Richards, thats severe mismanagement. Good God.

Noonansgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:40 PM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Gaborik, Kreider, 1st for Mike Richards?
Gaborik, Thomas, 1st for Mike Richards?

So you WOULDNT trade for one of the BEST leaders, point getters, best center, young big long contract at a relatively cheaper cap space? That would make ME go OMG.

I love Kreider but he hasnt played a day in the NHL. Most likely will turn out to be a very nice player. NO #1 CENTER IN RICHARDS AT 26 YEARS OF AGE.

I LIKE Gaborik but he IS injury prone. And is shaky. He scored HUGE for s two years ago. But this year went away. And in the playoffs he could NOT step up his game and get any points. That makes me a tad scared. I would not be upset to stick with him, but if I am talking about getting one of the premiere centers in the league at 26 YEARS OF AGE, Gaborik is gonesky and I am flying him to LA myself

the 15th overall?? LOL You serious? This draft is an ABSOLUTE crapshoot and the rangers dont have a key guy they are targeting let alone position they are targeting. The online live chat last night they said if there is a d-man better than the foward, they take the d-man. If the foward is better than the d-man at the 15 spot they take the forward. If there is a GOALIE who is better than the d-man or the foward, they take the GOALIE. So in essence, it is the BPA at this point. SO I have NO problem giving up the 15th overall to get MIKE "FRIKKING" RICHARDS. Who did I forget to tell you is 26 YEARS OLD?!

So sir, I must say. OMG to you being a homer making your players out to be something they are not.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Gaborik is worth more to this team, as currently constructed, than Richards is.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
So you WOULDNT trade for one of the BEST leaders, point getters, best center, young big long contract at a relatively cheaper cap space? That would make ME go OMG.

I love Kreider but he hasnt played a day in the NHL. Most likely will turn out to be a very nice player. NO #1 CENTER IN RICHARDS AT 26 YEARS OF AGE.

I LIKE Gaborik but he IS injury prone. And is shaky. He scored HUGE for s two years ago. But this year went away. And in the playoffs he could NOT step up his game and get any points. That makes me a tad scared. I would not be upset to stick with him, but if I am talking about getting one of the premiere centers in the league at 26 YEARS OF AGE, Gaborik is gonesky and I am flying him to LA myself

the 15th overall?? LOL You serious? This draft is an ABSOLUTE crapshoot and the rangers dont have a key guy they are targeting let alone position they are targeting. The online live chat last night they said if there is a d-man better than the foward, they take the d-man. If the foward is better than the d-man at the 15 spot they take the forward. If there is a GOALIE who is better than the d-man or the foward, they take the GOALIE. So in essence, it is the BPA at this point. SO I have NO problem giving up the 15th overall to get MIKE "FRIKKING" RICHARDS. Who did I forget to tell you is 26 YEARS OLD?!

So sir, I must say. OMG to you being a homer making your players out to be something they are not.
Either way it's moot because it wouldn't take that much to get Richards.

Kreider will be a 2nd line winger at best. 3rd line winger at worst.

15th overall pick in a crapshoot draft can be an asset. I'd much prefer to deal it for a player, but that wont happen because we wont take up any available cap space for a player when we barely have enough to fit in Brad Richards as is. But yes, aside from that, it's not something to hold up a trade for.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:45 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post

Overpayment dude... Come back to reality.

Quote:
Either way it's moot because it wouldn't take that much to get Richards.

Kreider will be a 2nd line winger at best. 3rd line winger at worst.

15th overall pick in a crapshoot draft can be an asset. I'd much prefer to deal it for a player, but that wont happen because we wont take up any available cap space for a player when we barely have enough to fit in Brad Richards as is. But yes, aside from that, it's not something to hold up a trade for.
Agreed.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Gaborik is worth more to this team, as currently constructed, than Richards is.
I disagree. These last 2 years he's been relatively healthy for us. Last year he was barely worth anything in games we needed him most. Chances are he's going to suffer some major injury in the next 3 years of his contract and won't be worth anything since he wont be on the ice. He's a risk. I'll take Richards over Gaborik any day.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
I disagree. These last 2 years he's been relatively healthy for us. Last year he was barely worth anything in games we needed him most. Chances are he's going to suffer some major injury in the next 3 years of his contract and won't be worth anything since he wont be on the ice. He's a risk. I'll take Richards over Gaborik any day.
In a vacuum, it's pretty close to even value. But everything that Richards brings to the table besides the pure statistics is already provided by Dubinsky, Callahan and Prust. That's why I said "as currently constructed." I'd rather have a potential 40-goal guy without the leadership in this lineup than a potential 30-goal guy with it.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:52 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
this is really somethin. did the flyers just decide the ridiculously long term deals were poor for the future?
Based on the contract they just handed Bryzgalov, apparently not,

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Synergy27

To everyone laughing at the Flyers and how they gutted their amazing team, please keep in mind the fact that this team has looked great and been considered a legitimate contender for the past several years, and in the end it's gotten them nowhere. Carter and Richards are awesome players, but they have won nothing with those two guys as the focal point of the offense.

Even if this doesn't work out for them, I admire Holmgren for recognizing that the team wasn't good enough as it stood and being willing to make DRASTIC changes. The Rangers could have benefited from a similar mindset in the not too distant past.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
In a vacuum, it's pretty close to even value. But everything that Richards brings to the table besides the pure statistics is already provided by Dubinsky, Callahan and Prust. That's why I said "as currently constructed." I'd rather have a potential 40-goal guy without the leadership in this lineup than a potential 30-goal guy with it.
In a vacuum ok. But why even bring up that scenario since its not the case? We don't live in a vacuum, injuries are a big part of this industry and Gaborik gets them very often - and usually very serious and debilitating ones.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:02 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Here's what we can learn from this trade:

1) Mike Richards is not an elite offensive player in this league, and that is something that the Flyers sorely lack. Neither is Jeff Carter, due to his inconsistency as a player. When your two top offensive players are good, but not great offensive players, it becomes quite difficult to win it all.

2) That's why it makes a ton of sense for the Kings to make this trade. They already have elite offensive talent. What they need is a great all-around player like Richards.

3) The Blue Jackets, being the small market franchise they are, can't do better than a Carter. It makes sense that they would be willing to make this deal, especially in a "weak" draft.

4) The Flyers are probably going to draft Mika Zibanejad, me thinks.

5) Guess the Kings are out of the Brad Richards sweepstakes.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:03 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
Carter and Richards are good buddies. Good drinking buddies. Too much of the latter. Scottie Upshall was traded two years ago because he was part of the party club. Pronger is old school and didn't like the commitment or leadership level. Coach Lavy couldn't get through to the anointed guys with the long term contracts and million dollar shore houses. The malaise was spreading to young guys, particularly Giroux and the Flyers were forced to blow it up. The locker room was choosing sides and obviously the Coach and Pronger won the war. Four straight losses to the Bruins sealed the deal. If you recall, Carter sat out a few games with a suddenly sore knee, then played the last two. Richards disappeared on the ice. There are more reported details locally but you get the picture. Richards comes out smelling like a rose in LA where he can contend for a Cup now and upgrade his choices in young women! Flyers get the cap space to sign the goalie they have needed for years.
When Upshall was traded to the Coyotes, all of the fun went out of the locker room in Philadelphia. He was the glue. After the Flyers made that trade they literally fell apart -- slipped to 5th in the East, got blown out in the playoffs, and played terribly for the first half of the next season. They went out and got Pronger and he certainly helped them get righted in time to get into the playoffs and make a nice run but he is no bargain as a leader either. This is nothing more than the fix de jour in Philadelphia. Pretty radical though. Trading a (2) 26 year old veteran you control for several years at a good price doesn't happen very often. It may be a simple case of not having the right coach. I doubt Laviolette will still be there (check the Flyers history of cashing out coaches) when some of these young guys make a mark in the NHL.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:03 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Here's what we can learn from this trade:

1) Mike Richards is not an elite offensive player in this league, and that is something that the Flyers sorely lack. Neither is Jeff Carter, due to his inconsistency as a player. When your two top offensive players are good, but not great offensive players, it becomes quite difficult to win it all.

2) That's why it makes a ton of sense for the Kings to make this trade. They already have elite offensive talent. What they need is a great all-around player like Richards.

3) The Blue Jackets, being the small market franchise they are, can't do better than a Carter. It makes sense that they would be willing to make this deal, especially in a "weak" draft.

4) The Flyers are probably going to draft Mika Zibanejad, me thinks.

5) Guess the Kings are out of the Brad Richards sweepstakes.
I keep seeing that they like Ryan Murphy.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
To everyone laughing at the Flyers and how they gutted their amazing team, please keep in mind the fact that this team has looked great and been considered a legitimate contender for the past several years, and in the end it's gotten them nowhere. Carter and Richards are awesome players, but they have won nothing with those two guys as the focal point of the offense.

Even if this doesn't work out for them, I admire Holmgren for recognizing that the team wasn't good enough as it stood and being willing to make DRASTIC changes. The Rangers could have benefited from a similar mindset in the not too distant past.
I think you're not getting the point of the trade. The team was clearly good enough to win it all. The problem lied in the locker room. Pronger undermined Richards, the coach sided with Pronger, Richards stopped caring and became a partier and other players started following his lead. It was either Pronger and the coach or Richards and Carter (to send a message I believe).

I think the Flyers took a very big risk however I think they put themselves in a position to succeed for a very long time if everything works out for them.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:05 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I keep seeing that they like Ryan Murphy.
They could use both. I just can't see how you can risk Murphy (who is a bigger risk, IMO) when Zibanejad may very well become a Mike Richards-lite.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:06 PM
cenas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post

Like 07? Gutting team and hiring 3 big free agents? That worked out fine..

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:06 PM
In The Flesh

Don't understand why they traded both.

Good for us for now.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:08 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
I've read that Philly wants Strome.

06-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
In a vacuum ok. But why even bring up that scenario since its not the case? We don't live in a vacuum, injuries are a big part of this industry and Gaborik gets them very often - and usually very serious and debilitating ones.
What I meant by "in a vacuum" is talking about just those two players and nothing else, which is what you're talking about. My original point and everything else I said was about the players respective roles on the Rangers as currently constructed.

I'd still rather have Gaborik for this team than Richards.

The way I see this, the Flyers are setting themselves up to stay competitive in the East while preparing for a few years down the road. Carter and Richards were made more expendable by Briere, Giroux and JVR. Nodl is still an up and comer as well. Carter and Richards were also trade-able because of their contract structures. They're getting Schenn and whoever they take at #8 to help them for the future. Slight downgrade for this year for an assurance of better things in the future.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:13 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I've read that Philly wants Strome.
That would suck balls. I really hope that doesn't happen.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:14 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
At this point, let them have Strome. I'm so damn happy Richards is out of the division. He destroyed us. I still remember that 5-on-3 shorthanded goal.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:16 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
That would suck balls. I really hope that doesn't happen.
It won't happen if Winnipeg takes him at 7.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:16 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Now I hope everyone understands how me and Levitate thought Brayden Schenn was overrated. Shows you have lowly both the Flyers and Kings valued him, the Flyers especially, who got an additional young, potential top 6 player and a 2nd.
If anything Wayne Simmonds is the one that's overrated. He had one or two scoring streaks awhile back and everyone all of a sudden were certain he's a top 6 guy or at least potentially one. He fell to the 4th line in LA last season.

Even if Simmonds is a potential top 6er, though, this solidifies that Schenn is thought highly of by at least the Flyers...It's Mike Richards, not some bum.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote