HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reports Flyers Trade Carter to CBJ, Richards to LAK; Sign Bryzgalov for 9 years

Old
06-23-2011, 07:17 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
At this point, let them have Strome. I'm so damn happy Richards is out of the division. He destroyed us. I still remember that 5-on-3 shorthanded goal.
Yeah. No. I don't want to see a talent like Strome on one line and Giroux on another. That's a lot of pure offensive talent to face on any night.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:17 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
It won't happen if Winnipeg takes him at 7.
I think Ottawa takes Strome, at this point. I see the Flyers getting one of Hamilton or Couturier, with Winnipeg talking Zman.

06-23-2011, 07:19 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Here's what we can learn from this trade:

1) Mike Richards is not an elite offensive player in this league, and that is something that the Flyers sorely lack. Neither is Jeff Carter, due to his inconsistency as a player. When your two top offensive players are good, but not great offensive players, it becomes quite difficult to win it all.

2) That's why it makes a ton of sense for the Kings to make this trade. They already have elite offensive talent. What they need is a great all-around player like Richards.

3) The Blue Jackets, being the small market franchise they are, can't do better than a Carter. It makes sense that they would be willing to make this deal, especially in a "weak" draft.

4) The Flyers are probably going to draft Mika Zibanejad, me thinks.

5) Guess the Kings are out of the Brad Richards sweepstakes.
You really think the reason the Flyers couldn't capture a cup was lack of offense? I don't want to label Carter or Richards elite, but I think their offense was fine.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:21 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I think Ottawa takes Strome, at this point. I see the Flyers getting one of Hamilton or Couturier, with Winnipeg talking Zman.
I also think Ottawa gets Strome. I have WPG taking Couturier, although I agree with you. I think Zibanejad is better. If he's there, I think the Flyers jump on him, despite their interest in Murphy.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:23 PM
NYR Viper

I think Philadelphia just got better for the long-run......Schenn is going to be a monster.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:26 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
You really think the reason the Flyers couldn't capture a cup was lack of offense? I don't want to label Carter or Richards elite, but I think their offense was fine.
That's not what I meant, really. More that one or even two of your franchise players has to be an elite offensive player, and I don't think either Carter or Richards are. Carter COULD be, but he isn't consistent.

They got offense by committee, but eventually, offense by committee becomes difficult to sustain because everyone in the committee wants to get paid.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:34 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Here's what we can learn from this trade:

1) Mike Richards is not an elite offensive player in this league, and that is something that the Flyers sorely lack. Neither is Jeff Carter, due to his inconsistency as a player. When your two top offensive players are good, but not great offensive players, it becomes quite difficult to win it all.

2) That's why it makes a ton of sense for the Kings to make this trade. They already have elite offensive talent. What they need is a great all-around player like Richards.

3) The Blue Jackets, being the small market franchise they are, can't do better than a Carter. It makes sense that they would be willing to make this deal, especially in a "weak" draft.

4) The Flyers are probably going to draft Mika Zibanejad, me thinks.

5) Guess the Kings are out of the Brad Richards sweepstakes.
I think playing musical goaltenders in the playoffs had more to do with not winning it all than Carter or Richards. I think they set a record for goaltender changes in the playoffs this season, for both in game and game to game.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:35 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
A #Flyers source told me they are NOT trying to get Stamkos and that any moves from here forward will be "character guys."
https://twitter.com/#!/AnthonySan37/...40178867507200

Quote:
Oh.... and they WILL try to re-sign Ville Leino now....
https://twitter.com/#!/AnthonySan37/...40261289771008

Quote:
Paul Holmgren on Kris Versteeg's future in Philly: "I see Kris as being a part of our team, for sure."
https://twitter.com/#!/CraigCustance...34684438331392

Quote:
Just spoke w/Ville Leino's agent. He hasn't spoken with Paul Holmgren since the trades but is in Minny and expects to talk here.
https://twitter.com/#!/CraigCustance...38753005469696

No tagging issues now. Leino is a great fit with Briere.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:39 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
I think playing musical goaltenders in the playoffs had more to do with not winning it all than Carter or Richards. I think they set a record for goaltender changes in the playoffs this season, for both in game and game to game.
But they could have found the money to sign Bryzgalov without trading one of Carter or Richards, or maybe even both. It was clearly more than just getting Bryzgalov.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:44 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
But they could have found the money to sign Bryzgalov without trading one of Carter or Richards, or maybe even both. It was clearly more than just getting Bryzgalov.
I would agree with that but from all of the posts here about where the Flyers are in terms of cap space,even after dumping Carter and Richards and signing Bryz for a 5.6 cap hit they only have 7.5 of cap space left, they may still need to move some guys

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:50 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
I would agree with that but from all of the posts here about where the Flyers are in terms of cap space,even after dumping Carter and Richards and signing Bryz for a 5.6 cap hit they only have 7.5 of cap space left, they may still need to move some guys
Right, but they got back Schenn, Voracek and Simmonds. They also need to be paid.

They could have traded Hartnell, Versteeg, Carle, and/or others, kept Richards and/or Carter, and still had enough cap space to sign Bryzgalov.

Yes, Bryzgalov was a big factor. But it was more than just him. They're looking to reshape the team.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:52 PM
RangerBlues

Some impressively bold moves by the Flyers..
That deal with CBJ is robbery.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:06 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
Some impressively bold moves by the Flyers..
That deal with CBJ is robbery.
how is it robbery? looking back at the nhl draft since 1990 with derian hatcher there isnt a single player drafted 8th overall that is close to the player that Carter currently is. Voracek isnt as good a player as Carter either and is coming off a season with like 14 goals. Potential is great but Carter realized his potential while these picks/young players so far have not.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
how is it robbery? looking back at the nhl draft since 1990 with derian hatcher there isnt a single player drafted 8th overall that is close to the player that Carter currently is. Voracek isnt as good a player as Carter either and is coming off a season with like 14 goals. Potential is great but Carter realized his potential while these picks/young players so far have not.
Yup, question marks surrounding what types of players these younger guys will develop into, whereas with Carter & Richards those guys had already proved what they were capable of, and Philly had them locked up to very cap friendly deals.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Machinehead
TG15:WoodlandCritter

Even if they aren't making another big signing and are taking a step back, this is still not a team I'd expect to beat easily. Their lineup is still solid and imo Philly is still a playoff team.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Gaborik, Kreider, 1st for Mike Richards?
Gaborik, Thomas, 1st for Mike Richards?

Oh god no. Talk about massive over payment. Our most talented player, our top two prospects, and a first overall for a guy that has topped 80 points once and who apparently is a locker room cancer.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Machinehead
TG15:WoodlandCritter

Quote:
That's not what I meant, really. More that one or even two of your franchise players has to be an elite offensive player, and I don't think either Carter or Richards are. Carter COULD be, but he isn't consistent.

They got offense by committee, but eventually, offense by committee becomes difficult to sustain because everyone in the committee wants to get paid.
Who on Boston's roster would you call "elite" offesnively? Krejci lead the team with 62 points. Boston did just fine I'd say.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:15 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
Oh god no. Talk about massive over payment. Our most talented player, our top two prospects, and a first overall for a guy that has topped 80 points once and who apparently is a locker room cancer.
Just to be clear, I was not suggesting those trade proposals, just questioning the post that I quoted....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Jeez, I guess the Flyers are very confident Schenn will live up to the hype.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:21 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Yup, question marks surrounding what types of players these younger guys will develop into, whereas with Carter & Richards those guys had already proved what they were capable of, and Philly had them locked up to very cap friendly deals.
i agree, I don't see how philly robbed Clb at all with this trade.
Voracek is no Carter, and may never be one. a first round/8th overall in a weak draft year isn't that much to jump up and down about either.

The Flyers had to make moves to clear salary, but there was something bad wrong in that locker room. I work in Philly and my flyers buddy called me about the Richards trade 5m before it was announced.

talk about red flags here. Flyers trade two young very talented players for alot of young uproven talent and a good goalie basically.
i think they're still a good team but there are many question marks here.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:22 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Yeah. No. I don't want to see a talent like Strome on one line and Giroux on another. That's a lot of pure offensive talent to face on any night.
And i'll enjoy not having to deal with Mike Richards, who's a two-way force. Or Jeff Carter, who can score 46 and 36 goals in a season, while the number 8th pick may never do that.

They may want to be retooling their team but I don't see how it makes ANY sense when that team is in win now mode.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:25 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Flyers aren't going after richards, that's ridiculous.

they just signed Bryzgalov 9yrs 51m lol. that's a long time.
he's good, but i don't think he's a top goalie...
No? You will when we have to shoot 40 shots to score on him. Hes a top goalie for sure.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:27 PM
XLJ

Not surprised they traded Carter. I think Philly got the better end of that deal. But I am shocked they traded Richards. Locker room issues has to be the reason why they traded him. I guess those rumors about Richards and Laviolette not getting along were true. Great trade for LA, they are going to have a really good team next year.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:28 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
And i'll enjoy not having to deal with Mike Richards, who's a two-way force. Or Jeff Carter, who can score 46 and 36 goals in a season, while the number 8th pick may never do that.

They may want to be retooling their team but I don't see how it makes ANY sense when that team is in win now mode.
Maybe they dont feel that Richards and Carter are that valuable to there success. I dont watch the Flyers every game. Its like when Commentators or fans think Drury was something like a strong 2-way center for NY when there was no truth. I though Carter was a strong player but not that consistent, Richards i always thought was overrated in terms of skill and vision and is a max second line player.

Last edited by satrabyk: 06-23-2011 at 08:41 PM.
satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:31 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Maybe they dont feel that Richards and Carter are that valuable to there success. I dont watch the Flyers every game. Its like when Commentators or fans think Drury was something like a strong 2-way center for NY when there was no truth. I though Carter was a strong player but not that consistent, Richards i always though was overrated and is a max second line player but will see how things pan out.
Arguably Giroux is better than both, but still they lost 2 out of their top 3 forwards.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote