HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Whale sign C Jonathan Audy-Marchessault

Old
06-23-2011, 06:17 PM
TrollololBoyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutus Liber View Post
Im 6'6"

You get in line.
I'm 5'4" (19y/o)... pick on somebody your own size

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:18 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
That would make more sense to me. If he signed with the Rangers, he would be subject to the entry level system and would have to sign a 3 year deal, since he's only 20.
Yes, I wanted to say that. Has to be an AHL deal. Nevertheless, I guess we would be the first team that he'd sign with if he impresses in Hartford!

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:19 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Yes, I wanted to say that. Has to be an AHL deal. Nevertheless, I guess we would be the first team that he'd sign with if he impresses in Hartfort!
Unless the reported numbers are wrong. Something missing here.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyvbuFYndYc

He's #18

There are several vids of Quebec from the same YouTube account.
Hahaha nothing funnier than French announcers... Marquer un but!!!!!!!

Last edited by Clowes Line: 06-23-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:33 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Nice. Another short guy, cool. Awesome numbers though.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDZ View Post
perfect center for Mats Zuccarello-Aasen
JAM should center Zuccarello and Grimaldi.

I wonder if nobody drafted him because nobody wanted to pronounce that name. What happened, Marchessault was too easy promounce, so he decided to add another word in front of it? His last name is 15 letters long, not counting the dash, and it's pronounced the French way.

Anyway, his stats are terrific. He had over a point per game as an 18/19 year old and almost 100 points as a 19-20 year old. QMJHL is historically the softest league with the worst defense, so stats there are always inflated. Normally, I take off about 15-20% off from QMJHL when comparing them to OHL and WHL.

That still means he'd have probably scored ~80 points in the OHL/WHL.

Well worth signing the kid. Worst case, he'll still be a very good center in the AHL. Plus, his initials are JAM, so I assume he got mad jam.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:38 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

His playoff stats are crazy. 33 points in 18 games, almost 2 points per game.

I like (extended) playoff stats more than regular season stats because teams are playing against better opposition that is trying harder.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:40 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
He says in the article Rangers offered him 2 years but he said he could prove himself and sign a better contract next year.
Gotta like the nuts on the kid for saying that

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Anyone know if he has top-6 potential? Those are really impressive #'s and I'd love to see what he can do. I wish it wasn't a one year deal...
He's other a top-6 or a minor leaguer.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:43 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
His playoff stats are crazy. 33 points in 18 games, almost 2 points per game.

I like (extended) playoff stats more than regular season stats because teams are playing against better opposition that is trying harder.
Really puts Thomas' numbers in perspective. He had 19 points in 10 games in the OHL, a tougher league to score in, and he's a year younger.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Probably won't amount to much at the NHL level, but always good to add a talented guy to the system.

The kid seems very confident in signing a one year deal instead of two, and I assume it was done on advice of his agent. And I assume the Rangers wouldn't have offered a two-year deal if they figured he was just AHL fodder with no NHL possibility.

Let's give the kid a chance. I am not saying he'll be the new Savard, but let's not say that he's garbage just yet.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Really puts Thomas' numbers in perspective. He had 19 points in 10 games in the OHL, a tougher league to score in, and he's a year younger.
Yeah, Thomas put up better numbers in a tougher league while being a year younger.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:59 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
JAM should center Zuccarello and Grimaldi.

I wonder if nobody drafted him because nobody wanted to pronounce that name. What happened, Marchessault was too easy promounce, so he decided to add another word in front of it? His last name is 15 letters long, not counting the dash, and it's pronounced the French way.

Anyway, his stats are terrific. He had over a point per game as an 18/19 year old and almost 100 points as a 19-20 year old. QMJHL is historically the softest league with the worst defense, so stats there are always inflated. Normally, I take off about 15-20% off from QMJHL when comparing them to OHL and WHL.

That still means he'd have probably scored ~80 points in the OHL/WHL.

Well worth signing the kid. Worst case, he'll still be a very good center in the AHL. Plus, his initials are JAM, so I assume he got mad jam.

That's ten years ago. If you ask scouts, the Q as become more defensive than the OHL. The OHL is the highest scoring league. The Q is still the softest.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

What I don't get is why a guy like Huberdeau is held in a much higher regard than JAM. JAM put up only about 10 points less than Huberdeau in the same league and is much smaller.

If it's easy for a bigger guy to push the QMJHL players around, shouldn't that mean JAM and Huber are about equal?

Old
06-23-2011, 07:38 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
What I don't get is why a guy like Huberdeau is held in a much higher regard than JAM. JAM put up only about 10 points less than Huberdeau in the same league and is much smaller.

If it's easy for a bigger guy to push the QMJHL players around, shouldn't that mean JAM and Huber are about equal?
Huberdeau is 2 years younger. That's a huge difference in terms of development.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

"Here we represent theeeeeee lollipop guid...the lollipop guild...the lollipop guild, aaaaaaaaaaaannnd we'd like to welcome you to Ranger-Land!"

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:46 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Hard to complain about signings like these; low risk, with a possible mid/high reward.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:34 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
This has to be an AHL deal. If it was an NHL deal, he'd be subject to the ELC system and it wouldn't be for a single year.

Can anyone confirm?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:47 PM
JimmyStart*

whats the story here. Plenty of undersized guys still get picked especially when they score like this. Anybody know?

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:49 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
71 points in 68 games last season in his third season in the Q, good but not overly impressive. Coupled with his size, teams took a pass.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

His draft year was 09. 53 points in 62gp. If he had put up over a PPG in his draft year, someone would've taken a flyer in a late round.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
71 points in 68 games last season in his third season in the Q, good but not overly impressive. Coupled with his size, teams took a pass.
He had 71 points in 68 games a year ago as an 18 year old. I don't think it should be held against JAM that he cracked the QMJHL at the age of 16.

71 points in 68 games is ok for an 18 year old, and 95 points in 68 games is great for a 19 year old. Better still, he finished his junior career with 33 points in 18 games.

It looks like the kid was continuously improving. What's the downside to signing him? That Dolan will pay him a middle-class salary to play in the AHL? Worst case, he'll be a third line center in Hartford. Best case scenario, he becomes a second line scorer on the Rangers at some point.

We are not surrendering any assets and we don't have to waste cap space on him unless he crack the NHL.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
His draft year was 09. 53 points in 62gp. If he had put up over a PPG in his draft year, someone would've taken a flyer in a late round.

Had people known that he'll get 40 goals and 95 points in 68 games, leading his team in points and especially goals by a wide margin, I bet someone would have taken him in the third round, maybe even late second.

I would say his odds of making the NHL are as good as other players who are high-risk, high-reward who go in the third round, which admittedly are low. Statistically, 1 in 5 second rounders make the NHL. For high-risk, high-reward guys, the odds of cracking the NHL are even worse (though the odds of becoming an impact player are much higher.) Also, a third rounder has lower odds than a second rounder. So a high-risk, high-reward third rounder may a 5-10% chance of making the NHL, though it's almost definitely going to be a top-6 player if he does crack it.

The Rangers are doing an excellent job stockpiling prospects this June, and they haven't even had a chance to start drafting yet. They pulled a top-shelf first rounder in Erixon and a high-risk, high-return third rounder in Jam.

Good job, Slats! Now go get us a high-risk, high-return forward with the #15 tomorrow.

Last edited by Beacon: 06-23-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old
06-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Does anyone have a scouting report on him? Based on his size, I'd assume that he is very quick on skates and elusive. Is this true? can someone dig up a scouting report on him?

Old
06-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=579116
Ranked #13 best QMJHL prospect by one Canadian who apparently watched him play. And that was prior to the 2009 draft, following which Jam got significantly better.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=494686
This had him ranked #17 prior to the draft. I also noticed that the kid was only 150 pounds two years ago and he is now 175 pounds.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=909064
Thread on Jam less than two months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG2jJWs-jq4
Fight video. He's not the same 150 pound weakling he was in his draft year.