HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Around the League: Silly Season Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2011, 06:58 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

vCash: 500
Richards sounds both shocked and heartbroken.

06-23-2011, 07:05 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Yeah it's got to "suck", relatively, to sign that deal thinking your nmc protects you and BAM, wrong! Going to be interesting shock waves through agent community on these types of deals.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:05 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

He certainly doesn't sound like a guy who knew the team had a problem with him or anything he was doing though. Said he found out about the trade on the internet.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:18 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Said he found out about the trade on the internet.
yeah. that blows.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:22 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Yeah it's got to "suck", relatively, to sign that deal thinking your nmc protects you and BAM, wrong! Going to be interesting shock waves through agent community on these types of deals.
he had a nmc?

Old
06-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

As a player, it has to be tough to resist the security of a career contract, but you absolutely have to be aware that if you sign it too early, you could end up in Winnipeg for 15 years. If you don't, and get whacked upside the head by a trade before your NMC/UFA years kick in, you have no one to blame but yourself. Signing one of those deals out of your ELC is altogether about money and security, not location and fit. The player must understand that he is giving up control over his future.

For Philly, I like much of the team's makeup for the future, but anticipate at least one down year. They're going to be awfully good up the middle with Schenn and Giroux. At wing, I'm a Voracek fan, big JVR fan, and Simmonds is extremely gritty and a playoff player. Swing at center/wing, Briere still scores in buckets in the playoffs. Philly finally has a good goaltender.

What this does is make the Flyers young up front. It's Pronger's team from a veteran leadership standpoint now. Are they boned in five years? Maybe, but interesting to watch for those five years.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:24 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
he had a nmc?
Kicks in next year.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Raikkonen
We like our tank

I think there could be overreaction and some players will sign for very inflated contracts (ex: Laich) just because other GMs need to do smth to balance it out (and limited market).

This happens every year but this year there are much more free money in the game (5M for every team = 150M).

Thus it's better to trade for say Kessel because he has already signed contract which isn't big. So you're paying picks and lesser players to get the player you need.

Those who will not trade will end up paying extra dollars and taking extra caphits (to get to the cap floor also).

So the more expensive UFA you sign the more you lose.

That way it's better to sign role players for bottom-6 and trade for Regehr (just example) than sign Pitkanen and top-6 winger. And wait out all enemies to get into caphell.

Overall inflated overpayment from 1M-2M contracts won't be large but the difference on the ice can be just what the doctor ordered if you will compare it with signing overpriced 3rd liners to 4-5M contracts.

On the other hand, if the cap will rise every year there will be more than enough empty space to drop bad contracts to (trade long contracts to FLA/NYI/etc). So GMGM's cautios strategy will fail pretty much.

Bold moves are to be done but not with unique players who we can't replace. Maybe Semin's caphit will become peanuts in 2-3 years =)

Last edited by Raikkonen: 06-23-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old
06-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Schenn has a ~3M cap hit after bonuses. After Simmonds' RFA contract is settled, it won't even save them anything compared to Richards' cap hit (might even cost them a bit more).

Debating whether Philly should roll Briere - Giroux - Schenn down the middle with a UFA 1RW (return of Gagne?) or Giroux - Schenn - UFA with Briere at 1RW. Could end up meaning more competition for guys like Handzus (I think Philly would covet him to be 2C/3C).

Will be interesting to try and figure out what Holmgren is doing.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:57 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
There's that, but there's also trading away a great two way center to make cap space for an unknown goalie who they gave massive term to. There's also the whole "Pronger and Timonen and Bryz will be too old before Schenn, Simmonds and Voracek get old enough." Unless the Flyers turn around and trade Schenn for some win-now piece...it looks insane.

Frankly, if I inherited the Flyers tomorrow...I look long and hard at my options for a complete rebuild.
Bryz is in NO way an unknown. He's a beast.

I don't think the Flyers are done. I think they're looking to get a little younger now with an eye to the future and restructuring their team payroll to have less longterm/big contracts.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
Old
06-23-2011, 09:00 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Bryz is in NO way an unknown. He's a beast.

I don't think the Flyers are done. I think they're looking to get a little younger now with an eye to the future and restructuring their team payroll to have less longterm/big contracts.
Signing a 31 year old guy to a 9 year/51 million dollar deal is an odd way of doing that.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:12 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You would have to think that the GM's in LA and Columbus were well aware of any potential off-ice issues. If they are what people are saying they are, no way Schenn goes the other way, no way Richards keeps his "C" last year and no way someone hasn't sent him for help.
LOL....I'm sorry but that's just bologna...

The landscape of sports history is littered with teams that have taken on other teams on/off field problem players because they're super talented. The old "change of scenery"....

Maybe you wouldn't take em but a team like Columbus who is desperate to land a talented player who can't walk away for a long time is the perfect example of a team willing to look the other way. I'm sure just breaking up Richards and Carter might be seen as a good move for the careers of both players.

And do you think for a second that the Flyers publicize any issues with Richards by stripping him of his captaincy and reducing his trade value? Come on Mrwarden....

Old
06-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Goalies don't really count in team makeup, though. They're not really players. They're not even people. They stand apart. Up front, the Flyers have certainly skewed younger. Add the young cog they're going to add at #8 in the draft, a big part of the return in their trades. You aren't just adding the guys acquired for those guys, but giving ice time to youth already on the team. This clears the way for Giroux to play big minutes in all situations. Schenn could be a #2 center in September. JVR becomes a fixture.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:16 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
LOL....I'm sorry but that's just bologna...

The landscape of sports history is littered with teams that have taken on other teams on/off field problem players because they're super talented. The old "change of scenery"....

Maybe you wouldn't take em but a team like Columbus who is desperate to land a talented player who can't walk away for a long time is the perfect example of a team willing to look the other way. I'm sure just breaking up Richards and Carter might be seen as a good move for the careers of both players.

And do you think for a second that the Flyers publicize any issues with Richards by stripping him of his captaincy and reducing his trade value? Come on Mrwarden....
Uh, I think if you and I have heard the rumors, so has LA. And I think if they were true, Philly knows they have a guy signed for a decade with a problem, so heck yes, I think they try to get him help, because if the rumors were true, they're completely ****ed otherwise.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:18 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Signing a 31 year old guy to a 9 year/51 million dollar deal is an odd way of doing that.
This is a franchise who has struggled in net for what...10+ years?

It's not hard to see that they're signing a proven star goalie and they'll likely buy him out at some point and eat the contract to avoid paying him that long if he ages poorly. If he sticks to form, they may have their guy in net for the next 6 years or so...maybe longer.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:31 PM
ForzaItalia

I'm expecting lots of wheeling and dealing at the draft tomorrow after all this Philly stuff.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:16 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Thanks Drake for explaining what Holmgren was thinking.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:41 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this trade and understand exactly what Holmgren was thinking. The best I can do is coming back to the whole locker room aspect. I'm not convinced they were a "cancer" or even a "problem" in the locker room so much as they didn't match the culture and the personalities that Holmgren and management wanted them to. They weren't sure if they were still the direction they wanted to bring the Flyers going forward.

It was an abrupt change of plan, certainly. But I guess they felt handing the burden to their next crop of forwards. The team still has Briere, Giroux, JVR, and now they added Schenn, Voracek, and Simmonds. That's a strong core. Is it as strong as having Richards and Carter on lifetime deals? Hell no, but Flyers management apparently felt it was more well rounded and facilitated better depth I guess.

I'm still not entirely sure. It's pretty ****ing crazy.

Old
06-24-2011, 03:04 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
I thought the league was putting a stop to BS contracts like that? All they are doing is stretching it out to keep the cap hit down. I wish GMGM jumped on that train with the OV contract.

Old
06-24-2011, 03:48 AM
Atlas

Quote:
The morons thowing out Yzerman as a genious/model GM would have a lot of backpeddling to do.
Fyi, it's spelled "genius."

Old
06-24-2011, 03:52 AM
Atlas

Hell of a day for Philly. The B Richards trade is shocking. He is a fierce #2C--exactly the kind of player the Caps will need to win it one day. Weird that he gets traded. There must be more to the story.

Old
06-24-2011, 05:01 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Fyi, it's spelled "genius."
Thanks little buddy...

Old
06-24-2011, 05:02 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Hell of a day for Philly. The B Richards trade is shocking. He is a fierce #2C--exactly the kind of player the Caps will need to win it one day. Weird that he gets traded. There must be more to the story.
FYI.....it's Mike Richards....

Old
06-24-2011, 05:13 AM
third man in

Quote:
fyi it's spelled M Richards genius

Old
06-24-2011, 06:02 AM
fsnoles98

I think it is funny. The Flyers, I think got better in the in the long run. Leino will be resigned and if they can unload Versteeg and the #8 to Florida for the #3, they will be in great shape player and cap wise. Don't doubt what you don't know locker room wise, sounds like we have ours, but nothing gets done.

Closed Thread