HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik's value on trade market

Old
06-23-2011, 06:44 PM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
Gaborik's value on trade market

The Flyers did what we should have/could do with Gaborik. The difference is that the Flyers are a much better constructed team than us and it was arguably a colossal mistake for them to break up their group.

I am 100%, all in, on the trade Gaborik front. He's just not a guy you build around because hes such a health risk and now he's a "will he play hard without a #1 center" risk. It makes perfect sense to further the youth movement by getting highly touted young players for Gaborik.

So taking today's trades into account, what could we get for Gaborik?

P.S. Supposedly Pierre McGuire was on a Montreal radio station and said that Gaborik's name is floating around in trade talks. Can anyone verify this?

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Schenn + Simmonds

He won't be moved lol, it's funny what a few trades does to these boards.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:52 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Schenn + Simmonds

He won't be moved lol, it's funny what a few trades does to these boards.
Yea, I'm overreacting. O wait, moving Gaborik has been discussed for 6 months and I was just wondering what people thought after today's events because we finally have a basis for comparison.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:54 PM
beastly115

Had to know this was coming.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:57 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

There's two sides to this;

1. Trading Gaborik and going for Richards makes no sense. You hypothetically get Richards to play with him.

2. Does it open the door to get a real elite prospect/very good player back? If the #6 pick, Butler, and let's say a Kuba (salary dump) come back, it might be worth doing with a shot to draft a Zibanejad/Landenksog/Strome.

But why would Ott do that?

If anything, a realistic trade I can see based on logic;

Gaborik for Butler, Kuba, #21, and #35 picks. Would you guys bite?

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Yea, I'm overreacting. O wait, moving Gaborik has been discussed for 6 months and I was just wondering what people thought after today's events because we finally have a basis for comparison.
Richards got traded for the speculated return of Gaborik. So something similar to Schenn + Simmonds in a good prospect a 3rd liner and a pick or maybe a bit more of an impact roster player and a pick. He doesn't have extremely high value.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:00 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Gaborik for Butler, Kuba, #21, and #35 picks. Would you guys bite?
Not in a million years.

I would take any defensemen in our system our Kuba (who really at this point is just a salary dump).

This is a weak draft so I am not impressed with the picks.

So basically you're left with Gaborik for Butler.

That's an awful return.

06-23-2011, 07:06 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
The Flyers did what we should have/could do with Gaborik. The difference is that the Flyers are a much better constructed team than us and it was arguably a colossal mistake for them to break up their group.

I am 100%, all in, on the trade Gaborik front. He's just not a guy you build around because hes such a health risk and now he's a "will he play hard without a #1 center" risk. It makes perfect sense to further the youth movement by getting highly touted young players for Gaborik.

So taking today's trades into account, what could we get for Gaborik?

P.S. Supposedly Pierre McGuire was on a Montreal radio station and said that Gaborik's name is floating around in trade talks. Can anyone verify this?
1) Comparing trading Richards and/or Carter to Gaborik doesn't make sense. Totally different players, totally different teams, totally different issues.

2) We aren't building around Gaborik. We are building around Lundqvist, Staal, Callahan, and hopefully Richards. Add Gaborik to that group. If we don't get Richards, then you can consider trading Gaborik. Trading him once we get Richards is completely counterproductive. You have to give them AT LEAST a year to play together. If they suck together (which is doubtful), then you can explore trading him.

You CAN trade him now, but it'd better be worth it, and that means getting someone back to put on that line with Richards.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Pugs35

Does anyone remember this team's offense the year after Jagr left? I know we had our issues this year scoring, and God knows Gaborik had a rough year but this was nothing compared to that year.

But yeah, let's trade away our one real offensive threat for prospects in a crappy draft. Then we can sign Richards and have him pass to Grachev and Thomas as our top line and complain when he doesn't score 90 points. That would be real progress.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:13 PM
TheRedressor

The Flyer's looked into the abyss and blinked today.

YOU DO NOT TRADE THE FACES OF YOUR FRANCHISE TO CLEAR UP ROOM TO SIGN ILYA BRZGALOV AND POSSIBLY BRAD RICHARDS.

Bryzgalov has proven NOTHING in the playoffs to warrant that type of deal. I give the Flyers three seasons and they will be a cellar dweller.

In short let's get Richards to play with Gaborik and then if it doesn't work out consider options.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
No trading of Gaborik. The whole point of getting Richards is to set up Gabby and this years draft is weak.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:15 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Not trading Gaborik. He's the only legitimate sniper we have as of now. Let's not put ourselves in a bad position again.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:16 PM
MSG the place to be*

Love the posts that already consider Brad Richards a Ranger. Quality analysis.

Also love the posts where people think the only way to contend is to have 15 million tied up in 2 aging veterans who have major knocks against them.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:20 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Stop.

Gaborik is this team's only legitimate offensive threat, night in and night out. You don't trade him because he had a down year -- hell, you don't trade him when he had a down year because you'll get significantly less than his actual value to the team.

As for cap space, what would the Rangers do with Gaborik's cap space? Sign another potential 40 goal scorer? Excluding the fact that there aren't any in this UFA class. No one has answered me this question yet.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:22 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Love the posts that already consider Brad Richards a Ranger. Quality analysis.

Also love the posts where people think the only way to contend is to have 15 million tied up in 2 aging veterans who have major knocks against them.
Okay, smart guy...

why don't YOU tell us how to contend, with the team we have now, and how you would do it while trading Gaborik?

And remember, you have to actually come up with a realistic return for Gaborik, whose value is probably the lowest it's ever been RIGHT NOW (not saying it may not get higher later on).

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:29 PM
In The Flesh

I'd trade Gabby. He's a sick talent sure, but not my kind of player.

I wouldn't trade him for nothing though.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:35 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Okay, smart guy...

why don't YOU tell us how to contend, with the team we have now, and how you would do it while trading Gaborik?

And remember, you have to actually come up with a realistic return for Gaborik, whose value is probably the lowest it's ever been RIGHT NOW (not saying it may not get higher later on).
I've been following this team (religiously) since I was 7 years old in '94. This past season was the most enjoyable since then. Guys like Stepan, Sauer, McD, Boyle, Prust, and the usual suspects like Cally, Dubi, Staal, and Girardi are the reasons why. Trade Gaborik for a couple guys that I can add to that list and hopefully would be the best talents in that list and I'll be extremely happy. Then you pay guys as they progress without breaking the bank in free agency.

There are no shortcuts to winning a championship. Ask Dan Gilbert.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Flesh View Post
I'd trade Gabby. He's a sick talent sure, but not my kind of player.

I wouldn't trade him for nothing though.
This. I would want someone special coming back if we were to trade him.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:41 PM
NYR Viper

Gaborik to CLB for Ryan Johansen +

Gaborik to NSH for Colin Wilson +

Gaborik to Florida for Gudbranson +

Gaborik to EDM for Eberle +

Those are the beginning of some deals I would be okay with....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:45 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Trading Gabby is mind boggling at this point.

You trade high, not low. If he is having a rough season toward the trade deadline, you trade him to a contender for picks and prospects. I'd be sick to my stomach if we landed Richards and had no badass winger for him to play with.

We need to keep Gabby. He needs and deserves a chance this season.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:47 PM
NikC

Quote:
I've been following this team (religiously) since I was 7 years old in '94. This past season was the most enjoyable since then. Guys like Stepan, Sauer, McD, Boyle, Prust, and the usual suspects like Cally, Dubi, Staal, and Girardi are the reasons why. Trade Gaborik for a couple guys that I can add to that list and hopefully would be the best talents in that list and I'll be extremely happy. Then you pay guys as they progress without breaking the bank in free agency.

There are no shortcuts to winning a championship. Ask Dan Gilbert.
The Flyers can afford to make bold moves like this because of their offensive depth. The rangers could not. trading Gaborik for a player like a Schenn would make the NYR a lottery team with no true first line players for for several years. I know that would make you and others happy, but that's not the way this organization does things.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:48 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
Does anyone remember this team's offense the year after Jagr left? I know we had our issues this year scoring, and God knows Gaborik had a rough year but this was nothing compared to that year.

But yeah, let's trade away our one real offensive threat for prospects in a crappy draft. Then we can sign Richards and have him pass to Grachev and Thomas as our top line and complain when he doesn't score 90 points. That would be real progress.
That year we went to a game 7 in the first round. This year we did not go that far.

Im all for moving Gaborik who i think will all including myself have this idealized vision of him scoring in explosive fashion, but the fact is there is more to hockey than waiting for a puck to come on your stick in the slot, u have to go and battle and get it, and he just cant or wont do it, injuries or what not playing a role.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:50 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
The Flyers can afford to make bold moves like this because of their offensive depth. The rangers could not. trading Gaborik for a player like a Schenn would make the NYR a lottery team with no true first line players for for several years. I know that would make you and others happy, but that's not the way this organization does things.
That is very far from the truth. Primarily this year Gaborik had zero effect and we made the playoffs. You throw in a impact top 6 player and id say were in a better shape with that plus a potential prospect.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:52 PM
NYR Viper

I know people are having wet dreams over a Richards-Gaborik line, but I highly doubt they even play together. Gaborik was tried with Koivu in Minnesota, did not work. Gaborik, like Jagr, needs a certain type of player to get him the puck. Prospal worked very well for Gaborik.

Dubinsky-Richards-Callahan
________-Ansimov/Stepan-Gaborik

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:57 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
That is very far from the truth. Primarily this year Gaborik had zero effect and we made the playoffs. You throw in a impact top 6 player and id say were in a better shape with that plus a potential prospect.
this team can barely score 2g a game and we'd be in better shape trading our one first line talent after one bad season?

Our goalie got us in the playoffs.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote