HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official NBA Discussion Thread (Draft Edition)

Old
06-23-2011, 08:22 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
doesnt sound like douglas. sounds like a tall athletic guard that can guard both PG's and SG's.
Defense first backup PG with limited/inconsistent offense, thats where I get the TD basis.

I would've much rathered Singleton or Faried.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
That pick makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

We need defense and rebounding. We have someone on the board in Kenneth Faried who is a beast at rebounding, logic would dicatate that he would be the guy we draft.
Sounds like a defensive player to me. They do need size, but, with Amar'e and Melo, when is a 6'9" F going to get much PT. Jerome Jordan is supposed to be coming over this season, and I'll wager that the Knicks purchase and 2nd, and possibly a 1st. Douglas and Shumpert gives you a strong defensive tandem on the ball.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
terrrrrible

Was Walsh in charge of this pick? A big screw you to Dolan?

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

Hopefully the Rangers do a bit better than this tomorrow night

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'm a huge ACC hoops fan, and I love this pick.

Shumpert needs to work on his jumper, for sure, but I think he has to tools to become a good jump shooter. His issues are more mechanical and can be ironed out with good instruction. Past that, I think this guy is going to be fantastic at taking the ball to the hoop. He's extremely athletic, and moving away from the constraints of GT's offense, I think he's going to excel.

He's one of the best defenders available in the draft and will help the Knicks immensely in this area. He has the size and strength to defend larger guards and even forwards. Something the Knicks could desperately use. He also rebounds very well for a guard. High motor as well.

There were certainly more flashy names on the board, but Shumpert is a solid, solid pick. He's going to score more than enough to warrant big minutes, and his defense makes him that much more valuable.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Shumpert is a big, athletic, strong, versatile player that can guard and play both pg and sg positions. The guy is a monster on the defensive side of the ball, sees the floor well and has good basketball IQ. While im not sold on this pick because i dont know about the Knicks scouting its still a solid pick up with what is out there..

Now the Knicks should trade that scrub Douglas for a late 1st round pick, pay $3m for a late 1st rounder, and then pay another $1m for a 2nd round pick.. Get some good young players like Selby, farried, and so on

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:23 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Amar'e Stoudemire

Quote:
Gr8 Pick. Welcome to the team Iman Shumpert. Can't wait to get started to become a better Defensive team. Let's go. #ChrisBrownVoice

06-23-2011, 08:24 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Sounds like a defensive player to me. They do need size, but, with Amar'e and Melo, when is a 6'9" F going to get much PT. Jerome Jordan is supposed to be coming over this season, and I'll wager that the Knicks purchase and 2nd, and possibly a 1st. Douglas and Shumpert gives you a strong defensive tandem on the ball.
Yes but he provides absolutely no rebounding which we also need.

Faried and even Singleton provides both of those.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:25 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
I'm a huge ACC hoops fan, and I love this pick.

Shumpert needs to work on his jumper, for sure, but I think he has to tools to become a good jump shooter. His issues are more mechanical and can be ironed out with good instruction. Past that, I think this guy is going to be fantastic at taking the ball to the hoop. He's extremely athletic, and moving away from the constraints of GT's offense, I think he's going to excel.

He's one of the best defenders available in the draft and will help the Knicks immensely in this area. He has the size and strength to defend larger guards and even forwards. Something the Knicks could desperately use. He also rebounds very well for a guard. High motor as well.

There were certainly more flashy names on the board, but Shumpert is a solid, solid pick. He's going to score more than enough to warrant big minutes, and his defense makes him that much more valuable.
I really hope you're right, since his scouting report doesn't read too well. Listed as a PG, but doesn't seem to be much of a playmaker, and doesn't have a consistent jump shot.

I can get behind taking a guy for defense, but why not take the more proven and more versatile Chris Singleton then?

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:26 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Yes but he provides absolutely no rebounding which we also need.

Faried and even Singleton provides both of those.
Again, with Melo and Amar'e, when would either of those players get PT. They definitely need a big, but at the center position. Shumpert will see more playing on the current squad than either Faried or Singleton.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
That pick makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

We need defense and rebounding. We have someone on the board in Kenneth Faried who is a beast at rebounding, logic would dicatate that he would be the guy we draft.
He's a tremendous defensive player, and will rebound well from the guard spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Defense first backup PG with limited/inconsistent offense, thats where I get the TD basis.

I would've much rathered Singleton or Faried.
I disagree that he's a defense-first player. Georgia Tech is not known for their wide-open, up-tempo offense, and I believe he'll absolutely flourish in our system. His jumper needs work, yes, but the guy can get to the basket. And I anticipate that he'll get to the basket with good regularity at the next level.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:29 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Again, with Melo and Amar'e, when would either of those players get PT. They definitely need a big, but at the center position. Shumpert will see more playing on the current squad than either Faried or Singleton.
You could always have them come off the bench.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:31 PM
17futurecap

I wonder if the Knicks will buy into the late first round, supposedly they were talking to the Bulls about I believe 28 or 30, but only if the guy they wanted was there.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:32 PM
ecemleafs

yeah im not sure why there is a huge love in affair on here for a 6'7"-6'9" SF/PF when we have melo and amare. these players wont be playing crunch time minutes unless those two are fouled out. we need a defensive rebounding center. not a forward.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:33 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
I wonder if the Knicks will buy into the late first round, supposedly they were talking to the Bulls about I believe 28 or 30, but only if the guy they wanted was there.
The rumor was Walker and $3 million for the 30th pick...I've heard that if Selby is there, they'll make the deal.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:34 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
The rumor was Walker and $3 million for the 30th pick...I've heard that if Selby is there, they'll make the deal.
Make Melo happy haha.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:53 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Melo quickly backing off those tweets with a series of other tweets.

Quote:
My man Iman. look forward to working wit u. Hope I can be a great teacher to u.
Quote:
Hopefully we have a training camp
Quote:
I said that bc I was waiting for us to pick so I can go back to doin what I was doin
Quote:
U people are insane. Lo
Quote:
Y'all will flip anything
Quote:
Gotta love twitter
Quote:
LoL

Old
06-23-2011, 08:54 PM
17futurecap

I wonder who had to call Melo hahaha.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:56 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

That's exactly what Joe Beningo and Evan Roberts said.

Quote:
I think Melo may have gotten a call...

Old
06-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
yeah im not sure why there is a huge love in affair on here for a 6'7"-6'9" SF/PF when we have melo and amare. these players wont be playing crunch time minutes unless those two are fouled out. we need a defensive rebounding center. not a forward.
This, the Knicks always seem to overload on players with similar attributes and never fill the need.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Forever Blue

Between this pick and Grunwald and Amare stressing the need to improve defensively, I'm optimistic that D'Antoni's seat will be white hot even before the season begins.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:00 PM
ocarina

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...rst-round-pick

Quote:
In his defense, Shumpert did improve during his junior season, and his 25.7 percent assist rate was encouraging. But it's hard not to feel like Shumpert is the beneficiary of that age-old draft red herring: workouts. Shumpert tested well at the draft combine. Scouts were impressed by his athleticism in individual sessions. "Hey, he jumps higher than we thought. Maybe he's not so bad after all!"
Quote:
The problem -- and college hoops fans already know this -- is that Shumpert has always been a great athlete. He's always "tested well." Between the lines, though, he's never played up to potential. He's never shot the ball well. He's never been an effective distributor. With Shumpert at the helm -- and this isn't entirely his fault; Paul Hewitt shares this blame, too -- Georgia Tech's offense has often looked downright lost.
I really, really hope I'm wrong, but this doesn't look too promising. Taking guys just because they work out well is usually asking for trouble.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:13 PM
terrrrrible

Tommy Dee - "Not sure what on earth the knicks are doing"

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:32 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Alan Hahn

Quote:
Donnie Walsh obviously very high on Shumpert. Says he can be a rotation player right now. Decision to pass on Singleton bc of need at 2G.
Quote:
As for knock on Shumpert's shooting, Walsh says he shot well at Knicks workout. "His shot's not broken."
Quote:
Walsh said the Knicks are looking at picking up another draft pick, but wasn't sure if it would happen.
Quote:
Walsh was booed drafting Chuck Person and Reggie Miller for Indy. "And I'm going out with everyone booing me," he said with a chuckle. #fb
Quote:
Plan is that Shumpert can defend 2's next to Chauncey and then Chauncey can play 2 on offense and Shumpert can play pick-n-roll.
Quote:
Yes, Knicks are looking into buying a second rounder.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I agree with Walsh; Iman's shot is far from broken. It needs technical refinement, but he's more than capable of turning it into an asset. And I also agree that he's a rotation player right now.