Notices

2011 Draft Thread

Old
06-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Pierre McGuire and Craig Button just listed how they thought the first 10 or so picks would go, and here's what they believe will be the order. I'd say its a pretty good guess.

1. Edmonton - Nugent-Hopkins
2. Colorado - Huberdeau
3. Florida - Landeskog
4. NJ - Larsson
5. NYI - Strome
6. Ottawa - Couturier
7. Winnipeg - Zibanejad

Button says we won't get a shot at Couturier or Strome. Guess we'll see.
Oh man, at that point I would just take Hamilton. I generally prefer taking forwards, but I don't see Zibanejad having the same upside as any of the consensus top 7.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:15 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I would consider Couturier a "safe" pick. His downside is probably that of a current David Legwand, but not as good of a skater.

Strome is a boom-or-bust. Either an AHLer, or a slightly more skilled Tyler Ennis.
Couturier's a "safe" pick but he's kind of an obvious one to me.. his upside is a 60-70 point center with great 2 way play.. plus he's big and will use his frame.

A big reason why I am high on him is that I love Jordan Staal.. who he compares to, BUT his strengths are puckhandling and playmaking. Those are the things that Staal needs to work on in order to vault him to Kesler/Richards status.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:18 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
I agree.

If Staal could work on his shot, he'd be a 30 goal scorer. Couturier is already a better playmaker than Staal is -- his vision is significantly better.

Honestly, I'd be ecstatic with either one of Couturier or Zibenjad. Happy with Strome, Hamilton, or Armia.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:32 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
I agree.

If Staal could work on his shot, he'd be a 30 goal scorer. Couturier is already a better playmaker than Staal is -- his vision is significantly better.

Honestly, I'd be ecstatic with either one of Couturier or Zibenjad. Happy with Strome, Hamilton, or Armia.
I fall into the category of being absolutely if we selected Zibanejad or Strome. if we selected Hamilton or Couturier. And downright if it were Ryan Murphy or Armia.

Reports I've heard about Armia is he is indeed a sniper, but lacks the drive and sometimes appears disinterested. Can't stand immensely skilled players with no compete in their game.

Ryan Murphy is too much of a risk being as small as he is as far as I'm concerned. Only defenseman I would choose this high is Hamilton because Larsson is not falling to #7

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:51 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Craig Button uses Bobby Holik as a comparison for Zibanejad which I could see although I think Zibanejad's offensive skill will develop more than people think. Don't see Zibanejad as being quite a MEAN as Holik was.

Couturier is also a safe pick and I would be happy with him, but the thought of him not reaching his potential and topping out at a Legwand type is a bit disheartening. Everyone uses the Staal comparisons, which is good, but I see a lot of Joe Nieuwendyk in him.

As far as Strome goes, his upside reminds me an awful lot of Brad Richards.

Can't wait. I'm going to be at the MTS for this

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:53 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

Eric Staal would be Couturier's absolute upside.

What I really want to do is move up and get Lando. Kid's got Wendel Clark written all over him.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:53 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
I fall into the category of being absolutely if we selected Zibanejad or Strome. if we selected Hamilton or Couturier. And downright if it were Ryan Murphy or Armia.

Reports I've heard about Armia is he is indeed a sniper, but lacks the drive and sometimes appears disinterested. Can't stand immensely skilled players with no compete in their game.

Ryan Murphy is too much of a risk being as small as he is as far as I'm concerned. Only defenseman I would choose this high is Hamilton because Larsson is not falling to #7
It all depends. There's no way Armia is a bad choice if Strome/Couturier are already gone.. but you seem high on Z so I can see why you'd think that. That said, I doubt Armia is all that much of a floater. Finnish floater? You can't convince me those exist

Old
06-23-2011, 09:55 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Eric Staal would be Couturier's absolute upside.

What I really want to do is move up and get Lando. Kid's got Wendel Clark written all over him.
I'm a big fan of Eric Staal as well... need to stop getting my hopes up for Couturier, as I doubt he will be available.

Old
06-24-2011, 05:30 AM
Juzmo
Wakey Wakey, Backes!

vCash: 6969
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
That said, I doubt Armia is all that much of a floater. Finnish floater? You can't convince me those exist
He isn't nearly as much as some people seem to think. The game without the puck is his weakness with the lack of muscle, but Joel showed that he can improve the weaker areas on his game during the season (and even before that he did wonders with his skating during the summer) by a whole lot so I for one am not that forried about that.

Juzmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 07:24 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
If the top 6 are as follows, Nugent-Hopkins, Larsson, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Strome, Couturier, my head is spinning a serious toss up between Zibanejad and Hamilton.

But, generally every year something happens within the first few picks that shuffles the deck a little bit.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Huffer

It's most likely between Hamilton, Strome, and Zib at this point. (Unless Couturier falls).

I don't see how Armia is a realistic choice at 7. If he's your guy, you can easily find someone who will pay a premium for the 7th pick with the guys above available plus Murphy.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

I have never felt this pumped about a NHL draft before.
Getting a coach today
A team name today
Even maybe a logo and jersey.

Great day today Winnipeg! Enjoy it!
I know I will.

Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Craig Button uses Bobby Holik as a comparison for Zibanejad which I could see although I think Zibanejad's offensive skill will develop more than people think. Don't see Zibanejad as being quite a MEAN as Holik was.
I wouldn't be so sure about that last part. Apparently Zibanejad plays a very edgy, NA-style game, and carries a bit of a mean streak. I've seen various scouting reports saying that he might need to tone it down a little.

I agree with you completely about the offensive upside. Alot of people are looking at his SEL numbers and just assume that, because he plays a two-way game, that his ceiling as a scorer/playmaker won't be very high. 9 points in 26 games at age 17 vs. grown men in the SEL is nothing to scoff at; look at the numbers Nick Backstrom and Mikko Koivu recorded at that age. Plus, he's racked up points when playing vs. players his own age.

Personally, I'm going to be thrilled if we grab him at #7, and that's even if Strome is available. RNH, Larsson, Couturier, Huberdeau and Landeskog are the only guys I would take over him, and I don't think it's likely any of them will be available when we pick.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that last part. Apparently Zibanejad plays a very edgy, NA-style game, and carries a bit of a mean streak. I've seen various scouting reports saying that he might need to tone it down a little.

I agree with you completely about the offensive upside. Alot of people are looking at his SEL numbers and just assume that, because he plays a two-way game, that his ceiling as a scorer/playmaker won't be very high. 9 points in 26 games at age 17 vs. grown men in the SEL is nothing to scoff at; look at the numbers Nick Backstrom and Mikko Koivu recorded at that age. Plus, he's racked up points when playing vs. players his own age.

Personally, I'm going to be thrilled if we grab him at #7, and that's even if Strome is available. RNH, Larsson, Couturier, Huberdeau and Landeskog are the only guys I would take over him, and I don't think it's likely any of them will be available when we pick.
Zibanejad's had some people in the scouting world make mention of another tough-as-nails nordic draftee... Peter Forsberg. Not that it's fair to the kid to lump him in with an all-time great, but he's a good skating, solid-framed kid who plays a confrontational, physical style and has a developing offensive game. There's a lot to like there.

And I have to say, after having had a season most of us on the Sabres board started out looking at the very top of the draft prospects and slowly slid downward, there are a lot of guys in Winnipeg's wheelhouse that have a great deal of appeal. I'm envious.

06-24-2011, 12:06 PM
BrianL*

Not having had a team, I haven't watched a draft for a very long time. The TSN coverage starts at 7 et, but when is the first pick likely to happen? How long is there typically between picks? Just trying to get a feel for what time the actual drafting will wrap up.

BrianL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Skyhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Not having had a team, I haven't watched a draft for a very long time. The TSN coverage starts at 7 et, but when is the first pick likely to happen? How long is there typically between picks? Just trying to get a feel for what time the actual drafting will wrap up.
First pick should happen around 7:15-7:20 et. I'd estimate their should be a pick around every 5 minutes, taking into account the time to interview the player/GM, the occasional trade to announce and commerials. I'd say 10:30 et would be a conservative ending time.

Skyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Juzmo
Wakey Wakey, Backes!

vCash: 6969
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Last year the draft took 4 hours so about 7,5 minutes/pick (since the first one took more time.)

Juzmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 04:00 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

Only 2 moire hours.

More exciting than Christmas.

Old
06-24-2011, 05:00 PM
The Maltais Falcon

moved to other draft thread ...

Last edited by The Maltais Falcon: 06-24-2011 at 05:11 PM.
The Maltais Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote