HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik's value on trade market

Old
06-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Ok, we get it! Marion Gaborik has been productive in his career when he is healthy, motivated and plays hard every shift. None of these things are a given at this point of his career, are they?
I don't think you do. He's been productive in his career all the time, including last year. He's been extraordinarily productive at times. He's shown the ability to bounce back to that elite production after a down year. From 03-04 to 04-05 he added 20 goals in the same number of games. I posted his career stats so people like you can remember how good a player he really is and hopefully step down off that ledge you've been perched on.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
If ya want a serious top line, don't sign richards and send maryjane packing
Quote:
That's not what I said so stop putting words in my mouth.
Not what you said?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Just Lurking

According to capgeek, Gaborik has a No Trade Clause.

Just Lurking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
you can say that about just about every player in the league. Crosby's concussion is a health uncertainty but that doesn't change the fact that he is a top flight generational talent.
First of all, even mentioning gaboriks name in the same post as crosby's should be forbidden!
Secondly, of course players get injured but gaborik has a chronic history when it comes to his health issues.

I'll compromise, let's see where gabby's game is in january or early feb and then decide.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder;33929523[B
]First of all, even mentioning gaboriks name in the same post as crosby's should be forbidden![/B]
Secondly, of course players get injured but gaborik has a chronic history when it comes to his health issues.

I'll compromise, let's see where gabby's game is in january or early feb and then decide.
Yeah, Gaborik isn't a little *****.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:45 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
That's not what I said so stop putting words in my mouth.
That is exactly what you said.

06-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
They are morons if they dealt Gabby. He had an off year but he can be a big offensive threat. We don't have anyone like that. Sign Richards and see what they can do together.
Done! You and other ranger fans will get your wish when we sign(overpay) for richards and he plays with gabby on the first. We'll talk more at the halfway mark of the season.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I don't think you do. He's been productive in his career all the time, including last year. He's been extraordinarily productive at times. He's shown the ability to bounce back to that elite production after a down year. From 03-04 to 04-05 he added 20 goals in the same number of games. I posted his career stats so people like you can remember how good a player he really is and hopefully step down off that ledge you've been perched on.
What the hell are you talking about step down off that ledge I've been perched on? I don't have to like Marion Gaborik as a player to please you and all the rest of the pompous, loyal to a fault ranger fans! I would never have signed and overpaid him in the first place and I will never change my mind about him as a player who if he isn't scoring goals, is a useless lump of protoplasm on the ice. He will never be the kind of player who will put up lights out numbers if/when we make a long run in the playoffs someday.
That's my opinion of him and if you don't like it, too bad!

Old
06-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Kershaw

Not many teams will be lining up for Mr. Glass, I'd say a mid round first and an average prospect.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:06 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Stop.

Gaborik is this team's only legitimate offensive threat, night in and night out. You don't trade him because he had a down year -- hell, you don't trade him when he had a down year because you'll get significantly less than his actual value to the team.

As for cap space, what would the Rangers do with Gaborik's cap space? Sign another potential 40 goal scorer? Excluding the fact that there aren't any in this UFA class. No one has answered me this question yet.
Thread should have been ended right after this. I'm far from Gaborik's biggest fan but who do you guys propose to score for this team if Gaborik is gone. You think Callahan and Dubinsky is gonna take you anywhere as a first line? First line players don't grow on trees and people want to trade one after a down year (which makes absolutely no sense, the guy's value is killed right now) when it looks like we have a good chance to sign a first line center to go along with him.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:10 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Gaborik for Byfuglien
shop.nhl.com would have my credit card info within 5 minutes of the announcement.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:11 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Incorrect. The point is to create more offense. It doesnt matter how it happens. If Richards turns Dubinsky and Callahan into 30+ goal scorers while putting up 80 points while Gaborik puts up 40 goals on another line making Stepan a 55-60 point center than it doesnt matter.

Splitting up good players also makes it harder on other teams to load up one line to play against them.
Keep Dreaming, why would Gaborik put up 40 on another line. Cally and Dubi imo on any line are not cut out to get 80 points, they 50-65 point second line players. If Richards was on there line sure they would hit the top end of that maybe 65 points 25 goals but to think 80 points is far fetched. Plus there is no guarantee with how Torts does things the same lines will be together anyway so Richards play making and space ability will help all the guys he plays with. Best case scenario he improves our PP and helps create plays and improves a few extra goals for some guys and improves our scoring in general which would be great but that is if chemistry etc Richards play is all very good.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
Not many teams will be lining up for Mr. Glass, I'd say a mid round first and an average prospect.
And that is one of the many reasons why you're not a GM.

Old
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Depth. Gaborik, when he is healthy, will score 35-45 goals with anyone. Richards will increase the output of both Dubinsky and Callahan. Richards does well with players who play 2-way games.
Depth? We have depth. Plenty of it. Without it, we wouldn't have sniffed the postseason last year. Look at the number of injuries this team overcame.

If Richards increases Dubi+Cally's goal/point total, a legitimate talent like Gaborik should easily eclipse 50G~

Quote:
I have been advocating trading maryjane since last season ended. The difference between us and the flyers is their mgmt isn't interested in the status quo like us and they have the balls to trade two players who are head and shoulders above gaborik as players. They are younger, healthier and have better all around games. If we could have gotten simmonds and schenn for maryjane(which is doubtful), we would have been blind fools not to pull the trigger on that deal.
Simmonds has a better all-around game than Gaborik? Whaaaaaa??? Brandon Prust scored 1 less goal than Simmonds last season. 1 less point. Dan Girardi outscored your homeslice Simmonds last season. Dan. Girardi. Defensive. Defensemen. Outscored Simmonds. More points. True story.

Brayden's a ****ing virgin who hasn't even scored a single goal in his very short NHL career.

Only a fool would even think about trading Gaborik for a redundant Simmonds, and an unproven prospect. Schenn will definitely be a solid player, but there's absolutely no guarantee he becomes a top-line talent.

Quote:
If ya want a serious top line, don't sign richards and send maryjane packing
Makes as much sense as;
If you want a serious goalie, trade Henrik Lundqvist

As well as,
If you want a serious dmen, trade Marc Staal

We struggled scoring last season and you not only want to move the only guy with 40G potential, but avoid signing a guy who can fill the biggest void in our line-up. Brilliant logic!

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:17 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
Does anyone remember this team's offense the year after Jagr left? I know we had our issues this year scoring, and God knows Gaborik had a rough year but this was nothing compared to that year.

But yeah, let's trade away our one real offensive threat for prospects in a crappy draft. Then we can sign Richards and have him pass to Grachev and Thomas as our top line and complain when he doesn't score 90 points. That would be real progress.
Was that the year of the dreaded 3 goal lead?

Or was that the year before?

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:18 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Thread should have been ended right after this. I'm far from Gaborik's biggest fan but who do you guys propose to score for this team if Gaborik is gone. You think Callahan and Dubinsky is gonna take you anywhere as a first line? First line players don't grow on trees and people want to trade one after a down year (which makes absolutely no sense, the guy's value is killed right now) when it looks like we have a good chance to sign a first line center to go along with him.
Scoring Threat does not mean much if he is not willing to pay the price. Sure he showed good glimpses of scoring ability the first year he was here and many of us like the two of you are totally sold on this. The only problem is he does not exactly play the game the right way. He has tremendous skill and speed etc but he does not use it to dominate a game. He does not create space for other guys because he avoids contact, releases the puck or does not go after it in the face of contact and just does not show up at all in more tough games were there is more contact. Idk if it is an injury or not, or if he has just learned to play like this because of avoiding injuries but i do kno its tough to win if your superstar play like that and is not willing to pay the price as Kevin Weeks says it. Just look at the superstars in the league and tell me ones that avoid contact the way he does. Will Richards help his play? it could, but it could not, at this points its either trade him or sign Richards and hope it gets the best out of Gabby.

Old
06-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
And that is one of the many reasons why you're not a GM.
And the same with you.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:21 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
It was an off year. It happens. The guy scored 42 goals on a worse roster two seasons ago. That alone should allows us all to give him another chance before we call for his head.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:23 PM
RangerBlues

Gaborik was just awesome the last 9 games of the season with his big fat ZERO goals.
It was a miracle this team made the playoffs.
12 goals against Edmonton, Toronto and the Islanders
One goal in 11 games in between.
PATHETIC

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
savebyrichter35

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about step down off that ledge I've been perched on? I don't have to like Marion Gaborik as a player to please you and all the rest of the pompous, loyal to a fault ranger fans! I would never have signed and overpaid him in the first place and I will never change my mind about him as a player who if he isn't scoring goals, is a useless lump of protoplasm on the ice. He will never be the kind of player who will put up lights out numbers if/when we make a long run in the playoffs someday.
That's my opinion of him and if you don't like it, too bad!
I don't care what you say, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that you were in love with Gaborik after his first season here and weren't saying ANY of this. There is absolutely nothing you can say to me to convince me otherwise. This isn't a generalization towards the anti-gaborik crowd either, this is specifically towards you. I also love it when people like you talk about how bad Gaborik is, then suggest trading him. If he's as bad as you say, what the hell are we gonna get in return for him? If we're getting any type of significant return, then he's obviously not as bad as you're saying. If he is as bad as you think, then we're not getting anything that will make this team better.

Also, calling him names like "marianne" and "maryjane" don't make your argument any more compelling. All it does is make you sound like an annoying 10 year old.

savebyrichter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Scoring Threat does not mean much if he is not willing to pay the price. Sure he showed good glimpses of scoring ability the first year he was here and many of us like the two of you are totally sold on this. The only problem is he does not exactly play the game the right way. He has tremendous skill and speed etc but he does not use it to dominate a game. He does not create space for other guys because he avoids contact, releases the puck or does not go after it in the face of contact and just does not show up at all in more tough games were there is more contact. Idk if it is an injury or not, or if he has just learned to play like this because of avoiding injuries but i do kno its tough to win if your superstar play like that and is not willing to pay the price as Kevin Weeks says it. Just look at the superstars in the league and tell me ones that avoid contact the way he does. Will Richards help his play? it could, but it could not, at this points its either trade him or sign Richards and hope it gets the best out of Gabby.
The problem with the arguments against Gaborik is that they treat him as if he's a second or third year player. Well, he isn't. They think his true potential is still uncertain. It isn't. He's an established top line offensive talent. He's been the best player on his team every year of his NHL career. Stop with the typical impatient New Yorker what have you done for me lately attitude. Gaborik is a Ranger, and a damn good one at that.

Old
06-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
And the same with you.
I'm not pretending to know what we'd be able to fetch for a guy who isn't going anywhere.

Old
06-23-2011, 11:26 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The health thing I'll give you, but we weren't watching an unmotivated, slacker version of Gaborik last year. We watched a guy in a scoring slump for almost an entire season. We also watched a guy on a team that had no idea how to find him in his accustomed scoring areas and a team that was playing a style unsuited to his game in general.

Is it on Gaborik to adjust his game? Sure it is. But that doesn't mean he wasn't working hard.
That is your assesment on why Gaborik was not successfull? The playing style we have lol.

Old
06-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Gaborik for Byfuglien
shop.nhl.com would have my credit card info within 5 minutes of the announcement.
Yes, that is what this team needs. Another D-man. As if our depth at D wasn't strong enough, lets trade our only scoring talent for another one. Buffer also had a cold second half of the season.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:38 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
this team can barely score 2g a game and we'd be in better shape trading our one first line talent after one bad season?

Our goalie got us in the playoffs.
No doubt are goalie got us in the playoffs.

The way Gaby plays and the potential injuries and what not, id listen to offers if they made this team better, maybe not now but potentially getting the much better in the future. For all we know Gaby could only have a couple more seasons with his injury problems i just think it might be wise to move him for the right offer before its to late.